Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Ace of Cups

From Tarot Oils

I’m not sure what got this into my head, but I expected this to be something like China Rain. It isn’t at all. Unlike the other Ace oils, this one is less scented like the element itself IMO, but more like what the element represents. This perfume is all love and pleasure, dreaminess and hope. It is a rich and soft floral but dark and mysterious too.

This went on me in a sticky-sweet cloud, but it did mellow into a soft, fluffy, enveloping sweetness after a few minutes.

I don't get much of an impression from the Aces - certainly not like I do from the Major Arcana.

First sniff: The Ace of Cups is wet and faintly citrusy… it smells a little bit like cherry 7Up. :P

Wearing: Cherry, cherry, cherry. Very bright and playful. There’s something a bit darker and more solid underneath, maybe a touch of wood, but mostly it smells like I spilled a jar of maraschino juice all over myself.

I'm a bit tempted to try layering this with Vice or Bliss to see if I can get a chocolate-covered cherry scent. :D

Wow, this doesn't smell like cherry at all on me. It's not the least bit sweet on my skin, what it is is an unusual watery-deep floraly blend with perhaps an undertone of something woodsy/resiny to keep it from being sweet. The cups are related to the water signs, and therefore emotion, and I wondered why I started crying about a half hour after I put it on until I put these two things together. It's a very deep, mysterious fragrance. I like it a lot (crying excepted).

Initial Sniff: Cherry Icee. Very sweet.

Wearing: Very Cherry.

Final Impressions: I was hoping for more, but this ain't nothing but cherry slurpee on my skin. :P

The Ace of Cups shows is a symbol of possibility in the area of deep feelings, intimacy, attunement, compassion and love. In readings, it shows that a seed of emotional awareness has been planted in your life although you may not yet recognize it. When the seed sprouts, it could take almost any form. It might be an attraction, strong feeling, intuitive knowing, or sympathetic reaction. On the outside, it could be an offer, gift, opportunity, encounter or synchronistic event.

When you see this Ace, examine your life to see how its loving energy could work for you. This card often means that love is the essence of the situation. It may or may not be romantic love. Look for ways in which you can begin to connect with others. Do you have someone to forgive, or do you want to ask for forgiveness? Can you set aside your anger and find peace? Would you like to drop your reserve and let your feelings show? The Ace of Cups tells you that your time is coming.

This card also suggests inner attunement and spirituality. Cups are the suit of the heart, and the Ace stands for the direct knowing that comes from the heart. Trust what your feelings are telling you. Seek out ways to explore your consciousness and your connections with Spirit. Allow the power of your emotions to guide you in a new direction. Embrace the love that is the Ace of Cups.  ~source

this smells like cherry slurpees. i didnt really get a sense of the card like i have the other tarots, but that could be because it was so very sweetly cherry that i couldn't sit on it, i had to wash it off.

When wet it does smell of cherries, but as it dries I get more of a aquatic/floral note coming through, the scent is very light on me and 1 minute after putting it on, it cancelled out the cherry note to create an interesting combination. Definitely smells very calming and I also get a sense of comfort too.

Yummy!

I got a bottle of this because I don't get the Ace of Cups often in readings, but when I do it's an instantly reassuring sign that no matter how bad my present situation, the pendulum has to swing back towards prosperity sometime.

It's amazing how the Ace of Cups captures the essence of one of my favorite cards! The first time I slathered my wrist in it, I closed my eyes and saw dark, cold cherry wine pouring into a silver chalice- I felt the meaning of the card through the way it smelled. Which sounds hokey, but my best and most accurate readings have relied on my visceral reactions to the archetypes.

Ok, my more concrete review would read: a bountiful bunch of bright red cherries that dries down to a mellow and slightly aquatic floral.

Edited by renaissancerouge

As a result of my chemistry, this scent comes off as cherry cough medicine with something richer underneath similar to Yuki-Onna (jasmine?).

I can imagine it would be nice on other people, but I can't get over the medicine quality. :P

Edited by Astra

In the bottle, which is very pretty bottle at that, considering that this was really the first time that I had seen the way that the old bottles were packaged, Ace of Cups has a very almondine smell. Its very sweet too, which is its downfall. I am reminded of nasty almondine soap or a roach spray that I smelled in elementary school that made me gag. Ok, strike one against the scent.

On me, that sweet alomd smell is overpowering. It isn't so bad, it just reminds me of that scent so much that I really don't like it. It isn't so bad on my skin as it begins to dry down though, not being half as overpowering on my skin as it had been orginally.

I'm glad that I tried this imp one more time before I swapped it. As its dried down, it got much better. Not something that I would jump up and buy a large bottle of, but it is nice. The only problem is that after about 15 minutes, the smell is gone. Its pretty bad when I can still feel the moisterizing quality of the oil on my skin, but the scent itself is gone before a half an hour is up.

I wonder if it will stay longer on someone else?

This starts off cherry in the top note, but when it dries down, it turns into an aquatic floral. If you only try this once, you may miss that fact.....because the cherry top note is so strong and then when it fades, it really mellows. After trying this a couple of times, I really like it. I think it may have a touch of jasmine and some aquatic notes in it. It is very nice. I really like it. I even like the cherry wet phase.

Hmmm...I thought I'd reviewed this one, but I guess I just made up a review in mind then forgot I didn't actually write it :P

As stated in other reviews, I love the Tarot oils, and I use them mostly as Tarot oils rather than as scents. The ace of cups is a card that I very much value in readings, and I felt as if I needed more of its energy in my life, so I got the bottle (and then a tattoo...more on that later).

I really agree with renaissancerouge who described as cherry wine poured into a silver chalice. That is exactly how it smells to me....cherry, yes, which is almost cough medicine-y in the bottle but on is more like sweet cherry wine. And something that makes it silver and cold. I don't know what that is but I suspect it is an aquatic note. It does soften down to something floral/sweet...I'm not sure what....I usually dislike jasmine and I don't mind this, so could it be something else?

really, I can't describe this in a concrete way at all, but it is very like the card. its not a scent I'd normally care for, but I consider it more for magical use than as a perfume...so....

but a note. I got this first, and really the scent and R's description of cold cherry wine in a silver goblet stuck with me so much I was convinced the rider-waite deck has a silver chalice (it doesn't, its gold). So convinced that when I went to get a tattoo of the ace of cups on my bicep, I told the tattoo artist to make the chalice silver instead of gold as he suggested. (of course I was wearing ace of cups while getting the tattoo). Well he was right....it should have been gold so as to stand out from the rest of his design, so I need to go get it re-inked. Funny, huh? Even my tattoo was influenced by BPAL!

This scent is a heady, sweet cherry. I'm getting the same cherry slurpee smell that others have described. There's something slightly smoky underneath the strong cherry, that gives it just a bit of mystery. I found that smoky undertone lasted a few hours, and then gave way to a true cherry candy scent- much like cherry lifesavers.

Ace of Cups

In the bottle: Sweet cherries.

On me: Cherry candies or lollipops. That bright, sweet note fades quickly and is replaced by…musk? That actually comes out very strongly on me. Just as quickly, the musk fades and leaves…nothing. Weird. :P

It starts off fruity in a bubblegum sort of way. It actually has that slightly bitter bubblegum smell that a bazooka joe gum has. The bitter gum scent has gone away. It is now more strongly floral--perhaps jasmine? Overall a sweet fruity/floral experience.

I didn't get any cherry at all, but that doesn't surprise me too much. My skin tends to absorb any cherry or almond scents until they are non-existant. Instead this was a heavy aquatic floral. It some ways I thought from the reviews that it would remind me of Ophelia[*b], and it does to the extent that they are both aquatic florals. Ace of Cups[*b], however, strikes me as having more depth and being less meloncholy. Where Ophelia[*b] smells like shady, cool water along the banks of still pond, Ace of Cups[*b] smells warmer like a pleasure garden in the summer with a small ornamental pond filled with blooms. It definately has more sweetness (jasmine?) as well.

Ace of Cups

This was a part of the Tarot swap - since I need to review all of them in a very short time, this will be a brief review.

In the vial: First, this was an extra tall imp, and it didn’t have a little wand. I was afraid of spilling it. It definitely smells watery. I’d guess for notes - lotus and violet. It doesn’t seem particularly floral to me, though. It smells like very sweet water.

On me: Much sharper, I’m thinking there might also be some ylang ylang here. It’s no longer a sweet water, but a sweet, white floral. It calms down quickly, though, back to the scent in the vial. I like that, and if I wanted a “Water” scent, so far, this would be it.

Ordering likelihood: As I’m currently doing a lot of water work, this may very well end up in an order. However, it’s not something I would normally wear often, unlike the Ace of Pentacles, which I had to stop myself from wearing on a few occasions.

This smells a bit overpowering to me. I can see how it would be pleasant if it's your thing. Think, yes, a pleasure garden, sun-soaked and absolutely choked with fruit trees and flowering plants, with a little ornamental pond in the middle, heated by the sun, the water barely visible through the lily pads! Very rich and enveloping. Not at all how I think of the Ace of Cups, however! This goes in the swap pile, hopefully to someone who will appreciate its sterling qualities more than I.

My notes for Ace of Cups are kind of confusing, which means that I had a difficult time with the scent. I think that I first got a sweet almond note with a bit of grass and water, which then dried to an aquatic floral with a hint of mint (I almost always seem to get mint from the Tarot Oils). Didn't keep this one.

I love this one in the vial, but my skin morphs it a bit. Wet I get a floral, fruit punch. It's a very lovey scent.

On my skin it goes slightly powdery and more of the floral comes out. Can't quite place the flowers, but they are sweet.

-cute roomie review- "eh, I like the other one (cerberus) better. That one is kind of flowery. (ok, apparently he isn't into florals. :P )"

Wet, this is all cherry. Nothing more to be said there. Dry, I get a lot of aquatics and florals and a little bit of wood. In fact, it smells very similar to Ulalume, only not quite as sweet. Not bad.

Wet - cherries and…something. Something dark, something that makes my eyes water.

Dry - cherries fade and my eyes stop watering, and this turns very pleasant. I recognize this note, but I can name it. It's nice, but in all honesty, this really isn't something I would wear.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

at first: sweet and lovely. i'm getting maraschino cerries, and that's it.

on: sweet and almondy.

1 hour later: still sweet, but not as strong. there's an airy floral to this now.

overall: this didn't really make much of an impact on me. i'll probably just be using it for meditative purposes.

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

Cherry is the first thing I smell. At first, it’s vaguely almond-like, but then it resolves itself into something akin to The Queen of Hearts, a sort of Luden’s wild cherry coughdrop scent. It’s not bad at all, I just don’t generally care for cherry as a scent.

Wet on skin:

It’s gone almondy again, which is definitely a bad thing. I doubt there really is almond in here (I don’t feel nauseous yet), but anything that reminds me of almonds is an immediate scent killer for me. :P

Dry down:

The almond note is gone again and I’m left with a sort of cherry floral that’s semi-reminiscent of The Queen of Hearts only more subdued.

The bottom line:

Not my kind of scent, but pretty enough in its own way.