Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... this is the essence of Victorian-era spiritualism: rosewood, oak and teak notes with wispy blue lilac, tea rose, dried white rose and ethereal osmanthus.

This is weird. I thought I'd like it but I am not a huge fan.

On wet it's....something I don't particularly like and very strong. I think it's one or more of the wood notes. I normally like wood but one of them is not for me when it's this strong. Maybe the teak? It makes me think 'cologne' (in a not great way) for some reason.

I like the dried rose that I can smell, which becomes more apparent as the wood note I mentioned becomes less dominant. As it dries, it smells a lot more pleasant. It's old wood and petals with this slight weird fruitiness (osmanthus?). The drier smell isn't great, so it's not really worth getting through the wet stage which actively bothers me.

I wasn't expecting to like this. It was a frimp from the lab, and I'd never have ordered it myself, being as how I don't usually like rose. It goes all dusty and powdery on me usually, I'm not a fan. It's also a very femme scent, and I'm just... not that.

In the bottle I get rose, but overwhelmingly something sharp and unpleasant. I think it might be the woods but I'm not sure. But I am a brave tester, so on it goes.

On the skin it quickly morphs into a rose scent. And aha, this must be the rose that rose fans like. No powder here. Just pure rose, the scent itself. It's blended in very well with a hint of something else, some delicate backdrop that keeps it from being simple. It might be the lilac? Whatever it is, it works wonderfully well.

I don't see myself as a rose person. I didn't feel like I liked this scent. But the longer it was on me, to type this review and to let my partner know my thoughts on it, the more it grew on me. It's actually really nice. It's such a well balanced, complex rose, with very little of the sneeze inducing quality I associate with that scent. It's a little femme for me, but the longer it's on me the more I realise I like that, it creeps in and makes me feel femme. It makes me want a sundress. Probably not the image they were going for, but there we are.