Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Gennivre, L’Artiste du Diable

Hyson tea leaf, pale mint, sugar cane, orange blossom, lemongrass, and honey.

This smells to my nose of orange blossoms, the sharp smell of tea leaf and the overall undertone with mint and tea. It never really changes but it's a nice floral tea upon me, very nice for spring time when in the mood for something calming but not sweet, kind of reminds me of CD's version of Liltha.

ADDED 2/18/10:

I have Genevieve, this bottle is almost 3 years old so the review might be a bit screwed from when it was first opened. Why I'm reviewing it now? Well, better late then never! I have to say, the mint has died down a lot more then when it was fresh but now what lies is a soft sparkling orange blossom. A very creamy sparkling orange blossom. I have to say I'm liking it more aged then fresh. Edited by Shollin

It's a beautiful beautiful scent both in the bottle and on me

On me- very... honey like. it's very light and yummy. Two thumbs WAY up

I was dragged out of the house this evening (my original plan was to take a relaxing shower) so I grabbed something new to cover up my stinky self.

In the imp, it's a light scent with stuff there that I couldn't identify.. I almost sniffed spices of some sort.

Wet, it was just a funky combination of sweet and exotic things that I couldn't finger. The sweet and exotic phase lasted about 20 minutes or so, and then I was surrounded by a sea of honey.. not the stuff in the plastic bear bottle but a light, sweet, and not overpowering honey - which surprised me because honey usually goes the way of playdough on me.

A while after that, it settled into a sweet, fresh, minty tea scent. There's still some element of something exotic that I can't place, but it's a really beautiful scent.

I'm going to need a bottle of this one. :P

This starts out all mint tea, and then the honey and light blossoms come up, and it's beautiful. I am hypnotized by the pretty. Drydown is a light tea with a tiny bit of mint, and sweetness blended subtly with the orange blossoms. Oooh.

OK, this will be springtime for sure. Must have bottle. And I don't usually like light delicate scents... but this, I love.

In the bottle: sweet tea. Like southern-style 'sweet tea' -- sugar and honey and tea-mint. Nice and interesting and I think 'this might be perfect for summer.'

Then I put it on my skin and I am betrayed.

Pure honey. It's a very nice pure honey but I have SN honey so I don't really need this to be pure honey.

Off to the land o'swap it shall go, hopefully to be loved by another as it cannot be loved by me. Sniff. I was so hoping with this one ... :P

Gennivre is honey tea on me, with emphasis on the honey – which is just what I hoped for. Initial on application there’s something vaguely floral (which is quite pretty) in the background, but it soon mellows down. I don’t get any mint at all, but although this scent is almost entirely sweet honey on me, it still has a very fresh and light quality to it.

This is a perfect spring/summer scent for me and I will be hoarding bottles of Gennivre. Absoutely lovely. :P

Oh wow!

Imp: Sugared citrus with a touch of mint.

Wet: Mint tea with an orange rind floating in the cup.

Drydown: Holy wow, it's honey! And it's GOOD honey. Honey tends to go gack on my skin, but not this. This is lemon tea and honey, sweet and cool. Whoever compared it to Southern sweet tea is right. This is really gorgeous and light and I may need to keep it for summer. :P

Ahhh... this is so, so lovely on me.

The first time I wore it my skin really amped the lemongrass (which can give me a headache), and I was afraid. However, the drydown was just fabulous - I couldn't stop sniffing myself - so I decided to give it another try.

Subsequent wearings have avoided overblast of lemongrass. I love mint and honey, so walking around smelling of an herby mint tea does amazing things for my psyche. Especially at my new ultra stressful job =)

As a side note, for other Honey Moon freaks, about four to six hours later I'm left with the same soft honey scent on my skin that I love so much.

The 90 degree, 100% humidity days in Georgia will definitely be great days for this!

ETA: This is what I wished Juke Joint smelled like on me... only with bourbon instead of tea!

Edited by PetaledSoul

Wet: It's sweet honey with lemongrass under that scent.

Dry: Honey-covered flowers. It's not strongly floral. It's a subtle feminine scent, honey and flowers -- it's womanly, not girly.

I'm going to have to get several bottles of this. I can't stop smelling my wrist.

I thought this would be my absolute least favorite of the CD scents......I finally folded and ordered a bottle. In the bottle, it's definitely mint. On me, it's light mint with light honey, just maybe a touch of tea and sugar. It's actually shaping up to be one of my favorites and reminds me of a Chaos Theory that I have which has a touch of lemon instead of the sugar. This is very suprising, as only a few BPAL honeys work on me. Perfect for summer and stays true the whole time; I'm loving this. Gennivre needs to come over for tea more often!

Wet: Sugar cane and orange blossoms, light and springy.

First on: Sweet orange tea, with a hint of mint.

Dry: A beautifully soft, springlike tea scent. Sweet minty tea with citrus (orange and lemon have melded). I love it.

I was so pumped for this scent, more than any of the vast multitude of scents I ordered in an impulse buying frenzy of doom. I love tea scents! And mint! And orange blossom! Hurray! And I'm a voluptuous redhead, too...kind of! It should've been perfect for me.

But on, for some reason, it is making me feel crazy nauseous. And a major headache. I've never felt this with a bpal perfume before.

It smells minty with something else kind of sickening about it that is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Actually, now that I've had it on for some time I can smell some sweetness. That could be the lemongrass or the sugarcane! But it's not my beloved orange blossom and I still smell no tea.

For some reason this reminds me of the South, like back in the day, women drinking julep tea and having "the vapors" and saying "I do declare!" on swings on their porches. I wish it didn't give me such a bad headache. The smell is not so bad now, I really like the sweetness that came in.

But I think I must give it up :P. I'd love to pass it on to one of the reviewers in here who like it so! But I cannot. Like it, that is. Poop.

Edited by parasolfringe

In the bottle: mint/citrus/mint, strong.

On, wet: similar, a hint of floral wrapping around it. Very strong throw.

After drydown: not quite as strong a throw, mint and citrus (mostly lemon) with the mint a bit stronger, sometimes with a touch of floral.

In bottle: Mint! Surprisingly minty - I can't smell any of the other notes

Wet: Spearmint, with a little bit of floral, and rising sweetness as it dries. The mint is still dominant, though.

Dry: Oh dear. It smells like toothpaste. That same dry sweet mint that you get from toothpaste. I'm so disappointed - I had been looking forward to this one!

I can't believe I forgot to review this one!

I got this as a decant a while back during my quest to acquire anything with a tea note in it. To me, Gennivre is like a way more complex cousin to White Rabbit-- it has the same sort of tea smell to me, but instead of the linen smell it offers a really wonderful blend of citrus, mint, and a little bit of floral. It's extremely well-blended and I really love it. I've almost completely drained the decant at this point and have had to order a bottle. Really, this is a fantastic scent.

Mint -- but rather light mint; tea, yes, and a definite sugar note. This is so yummy. In the bottle it seems as if it's not very strong, but it does get stronger after application, so try to resist the urge to slather :P

Bottle: hmmm, tea with lemon?

On, wet: like Lemonheads candy with a hint of floral.

Drydown: uh oh, this is turning Lemon Pledge on me...I think the lemongrass is overpowering everything...

Dry: yah, way too sharp and lemony. Phooey, I was really hoping for more of the tea and mint. Lemon is just not working for me so far at all...

In the imp: Mm.. sugary mint tea with a hint of citrus.

Wet on skin: The pale mint is dominant here & it's a light feeling scent but has quite strong throw.

Dry on skin: The mint has stepped back a bit but it's still there. I can smell the orange blossom a bit now too but mainly tea, sugar & lemongrass.

Overall: I've made a mental note in my head to try this again as it's sweet & light & could become a nice daytime scent to wear for someone like me who isn't all that into light scents but I'm still a little unsure about whether this will be a bottle purchase. But it is very nice :P

In the imp: Sugared mint tea!

On wet: Mmm...sweet, fresh mint - green and growing. Lovely! :P

Drydown: I smell like pure honeyed tea leaves! No mint, no citrus (never got any noticeable citrussy notes, though), and the sweetness is more mellow, no longer sugary. It's gone drier, too - hence the tea leaf vibe, rather than the beverage.

Overall: This is quite nice. I rather enjoy all the notes included in this blend, but it's incredibly faint, and only lasted about half an hour on my wrist. If it was a bit more intense, I would definitely go for a bottle. As it stands now, I'll just continue to enjoy my imp. 3/5

This is a subtle scent. It's soft, comforting. The mint is neither too light nor too strong. It sort of melds with the tea just right. A touch of blossom, a touch of citrus. Whatever it is, this is beautiful. Refreshing, not cloying at all.

Gennivre, L'Artiste du Diable (very pale yellow oil)

Decant: Smells sweet, green, and light.

Skin: Mint tea garnished with orange blossoms. The sugarcane and honey combination makes it very sweet on my skin, but it doesn't smell heavy at all. The mint is very gentle and faint, not sharp and cold, its just enough to lift the scent a degree or two. I also cannot smell any lemongrass, but I like it this way.

A light, clean scent to take on a breezy vacation near tropical rainforests.

If this was a colour it would be a pale, sugary pastel green.

This is such a strange scent:

Firstly in the bottle I can definitely smell a strong mint and citrus scent. When first applied the honey is more apparent on me and drowns out a little the rest of the scent. If I breath warmly on my skin and inhale, I can smell the mint faintly then.

The honey for me here is the most prevalent note, with mint and citrus being more faint even after drydown.

I'll have to do more testing!

This smells like citrus tea with a sharp and almost green bitter note. There’s also a baby bowder undertone, but that goes away almost immediately. It’s a very fresh, clean scent.

This unfortunately faded very fast on me, but while it lasted it was a nice crisp citrus tea scent with a musky honey undertone. Usually I like tea scents, but this one isn’t for me.

I was so convinced I would love this scent that I bought a bottle unsniffed. I love all the notes in it, and almost every single reviewer said it smelled like sweet minty tea. How could I go wrong?

Gennivre hates me. :P

IMP: Total shock. No tea or mint or lemon or sugar. Much MUCH more "perfumey" than I expected, with a sharp, unpleasant herbal smell. Someone mentioned cedar, and it did have a cedary cleaning product kind of smell to it.

WET: Eek. Cloyingly sweet floral with an unpleasant sharp note floating around in there. Once in a while I get the faintest whiff of mint, but there is nothing fresh or light about it, and no tea at all.

DRY: Pure baby powder. Husband described it as a slice of lemon buried under a whole cannister of baby powder. After about an hour it morphs back into a very very sweet floral, kind of an "old lady" smell. I smell like a grandmother holding a baby -- old lady perfume mixed with baby powder. An hour or so after that it's just a faint, cloying honeyed floral.

Sad panda. :D