Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A brilliant, ethereal scent: white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.

Quick whiff of licorice first. Then a very high, sweet fruity floral blend. Reminds me of a peachy version of Dorian, without the sharpness. Much more rounded. Makes me think the white musk dominates on me. Not sure I like it for sure. I has the same problem that Dorian has on me in that it's kind of sharp. Softens nicely later, though.

Mmm. I first tried Fae a while ago, and wasn't too fond of it. I don't know if it's a weather thing, a skin chemistry phenomenon, or what, but now I quite like it.

Peach, tea (the bergamot), musk... this is Dorian and Aglaea having a romp outdoors in a remote corner of the gardens on a warm spring day. I don't know if I'll get a bottle, but I will enjoy my imp!

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Musky peach.

In the imp: Peach! Strong, juicy peach and beautiful white musk.

On skin, wet: White musk and peach! I adore BPAL's white musk. It's soft and white and almost fuzzy. Add peach to that and, well, it's divine. I normally don't care to smell of fruit, but...

On skin, dry: As it dries, the peach becomes much softer, and the musk a bit stronger. I'm not complaining. Dry, the musk reminds me of that in Dorian, but obviously, peachy instead of lemony. They're very, very similar, though.

Conclusion: Okay, so, I'm complaining: this just doesn't last on me. Also, it's so similar to my beloved Dorian that I don't know that I'd need a bottle of this, when I have Dorian (which also has a glorious sugared-tea element).

Edited by Aredhel

Fae

in the bottle: Oo! peach!

wet: warm peaches and ... not much else. something, but nothing distinct. Very yum.

drying/5 minutes: peachy but less so now, the others aren't overly strong but are there. soft musk, some faint spices... yum!

dry/ minutes: more white musk, still peach, and happiness all around. Keeper!

This is the 4th imp I've tried, and the only one I like so far. I love how light it is! Very sweet, not pungent or bold. And it doesn't give me a headache like the other ones have, thank God!

My nose isn't attuned enough yet to critique the different properties of the scent, but I'm guessing most of the sweetness of it comes from the peach. A bit flowery as well.

It faded rather quickly though :P

I noticed that other people got a quick whiff of licorice - I think I smelled that too right when I opened the bottle, but it's nowhere to be found now. I'm grateful for that, because I don't consider licorice to be a scent I'd be fond of wearing.

I love this scent!

ADDED June 16:

My absolute favorite thus far. My boyfriend goes absolutely berserk and chews on my neck whenever I wear it - you know it's gotta be good when it elicits that kind of reaction from a man, lol.

God help me when I wear it to bed.

fae.jpg

One of my very favorites right off the bat. Sent as a sample imp from the lab, this one won my heart immediately.

In the bottle it gave me an apricot/peach and licorice kick which was so beautiful it almost made me weep with joy. That became milder major apricot on my arm and then turned into a beautiful musk and apricot scent from then on. It did die down quickly, that is why I inaugurated my newest scent locket with it and it is still in the lilting first stages of its progression around my neck, held in suspended animation. Glorious.

Apricot is really too mundane a word for the major scent of this blend. There has to be more in it, and one of the notes I think there is: whatever is so appealing in House of Night must be present here. I love oakmoss and that is one of the notes in it, but I am not so sure that is what causes this anise apricot beauty to rise above the rest.

It is a sweet scent but with great character and charm. I really need to get a big bottle of this and highly recommend it to anyone who is new to BPAL or who has not tried it. Thanks to the lab for reading my psyche.

Unfortunately for me, Fae does not quite agree with my skin chemistry. It is thisclose to being absolutely perfect, but goes awry. At first it is a bright lemony/grapefruit smell with floral undertones that smells wonderful and lush. However, the lemon zooms to the forefront (I'm guessing bergamot is a major component of Fae, since Bergamot has never overwhelmed me before in other blends containing it) and the white musk (my bane, it seems) turns to powder. The peach and heliotrope make a valiant attempt to save this sinking ship, really they do, but they cannot overcome. Alas, it was not meant to be and Fae goes the way of Zephyr and Black Pearl.

Peach and heliotrope...Tamora comes immediately to mind when I sniff Fae. The oakmoss gives it an 'edge' at first, but then the bergamot comes out (gives it's lil citrus 'twang') and what I'm left with are a couple of rays of sunshine tussling on the ground. Very ethereal and sparkling and 'light' :P

Gorgeous! The peach and the heliotrope are dazzling, with the musk giving it more depth. This is one of BPAL’s effervescent scents. It’s a crisper, bubbly version of Tamora. I love this. How did the Lab know I was looking for a sparkling fruit scent?

This was a suprise imp in my last lab order, now it's one of my very favorite scents.

In the bottle: the peach really stands out, I can smell crisp green notes in the back ground, but this is mostly peach.

Wet: peach is still the top note, the other notes do come up a bit more.

Drydown: The rest of the notes really start to blend beautifully with the peachy juiciness. It's sweet, but light and floaty. It's got a kind of sparkly qualilty, but at the same time a grounded earthyness too. It's absolutely gorgeous, and perfect for warm spring/summer weather. It really does remind me of fairies. :D

This may sound kind of odd, but it kind of reminds me of a warm weather Jack. :P Probably becuase the note that stands out the most in both is peach. Of course Jack is a warm buttery spiced peach, and Fae is a cool glittering peach.

can someone bottle golden sunshine?

because this is what the scent makes me think of. i can't really smell the peach or the heliotrope. but i can smell the musk and the oakmoss and the hint of bergamot.

overall, i think this is wonderful summer scent. it is light and warm without being overpowering.

this one fades really fast on my skin. i'm not sure i would buy an entire bottle of this but the imp is very well worth it in my estimation.

Oh, I SO want to like these peach and apricot scents, but like Katharina, Fae was not to be. All Beth's other fruit notes work divinely on me, but the peach here seems to hate my skin - it turned sour and kind of fake-smelling. And something else in the blend was giving me a distinct anis/licorice kind of aroma, which is just a no-go for me.

So, alas, Fae didn't make it to the drydown before getting washed off. :P Hopefully, it will find a more welcome home elsewhere.

I love peach so I was looking forward to trying this blend.

I loved how it smelled in the vial. Light and airy. Once on my skin it smelled the same but on drydown this changed. I dont know what note did it but the peach smelled like a rotten peach that was left in a car during the middle of the summer with the windows close. Almost suffocating me. Off to the swap pile.

Okey doke...finally get to review my imp of Fae that I have been carrying around with me for a week and a half!!! :D Thank you Lab for always being so generous with the imps...I do so appreciate it!!!

Anyway...

Now..I have always been a fan of peach since I was younger..and do like white musk and bergamot..so I was really excited to try this little guy. Here we go!!!

Sniffed from imp: Juicy, juicy, juicy peach..and I think a touch of the bergamot as well??? I think I also smell a touch of the heliotrope but basically this all fruit driven from the imp...smells like summer to me.

Applied wet on skin: Still incredibly fruit driven...with the bergamot giving it a bit more *bite*. At least I think it is the bergamot..since it smells more citrus like with almost a touch of bitter??? :P I admit..I am not an expert on fragrance composition...overall the vibe I get is fruit driven but not syrupy...something in here is keeping it *grounded* if that makes any sense...

Couple of minutes dry on skin: Maybe it's the oakmoss or the heliotrope that made me think *grounded*...but overall this is still fruit driven..am not sure if I am registering the white musk per se...but I do find Fae very interesting..she is different than Tamora...instead of amber she mixes it up with musk and oakmoss..and so far Fae is very nice indeed.

The throw is good but the staying power on me is a little short. I get from Fae about 3-4 hours until I need to re-apply sparingly. I have to say though Fae does indeed *bloom* nicely in the warmer weather as well...come to think of it..doesn't most fragrances *bloom*..hee hee :D

Drydown: Smell the fruit but it has softened and it plays side by side to what I think is now the oakmoss/musk...

Bottom Line: I like Fae but I don't love her. Something in this doesn't quite fit me...but I still think it is definitely a wonderful fragrance. So far as peach scents go, Tamora still is my number one pick so far...but I will keep my imp of Fae when I feel like being somebody else...

First sniff: Fae has a hard-candy texture to it… it’s sparkling fruit, but with a very strong edge.

Wearing: Fruity and sparkly! It’s quite a bit sharper, or firmer, or something, than Imp. The aura has a wonderful peachfuzz warmth. I’m on a tea kick at the moment, and I’d love to find a tea that tastes like this.

Fae

I had tried this before and was not impressed enough to keep my imp, however this time I am intrigued. It’s light, citrus – very pretty. Another summer blend. The bergamot in this particular batch is really strong. It smells a lot like Lush’s Avobath. Fae would be nice to wear on those particularly evil mornings when it’s a little chilly and I just don’t want to get out of bed. A big bottle of this is on order!

This is the first BPAL of about 8-10 that I've tried so far that I actually like enough to keep, which is odd since I wasn't expecting this to work at all. It's mostly musk and peach on me, very soft and sweet and casual and exactly what I was looking for (a pleasant, everyday scent). This stands a chance of being my first full-size order :P

This one seems to me "peach at the edge of a forest, in the dappled leaf-shadows." And scents don't usually move me to tortured metaphor, so, yeah.

It's rather lovely - has a soft, sweet fruitiness to it that lingers around the upper ranges, but is nicely balanced by the musk and the oakmoss. It's not a *rounded* scent, I wouldn't say, but it does mix deeper notes with lighter ones in a lovely manner.

I like this one much, much better than Tamora. I'm not sure if I'll buy a bottle, because it doesn't seem 100% *me*, but I'm definitely keeping my imp.

My Impression Peach Musk.

In the botlle: Peachy Musky and some other non detectable note I cannot pinpoint.'

Wet: The Same

Drydown: Fades more quickly than I would like, if it were amped up a bit I would buy a bottle.

Overall, Its nice but not enough staying power for my taste. :P

First Impression: Nectarines, champagne and a hint of anise.

Dries down to: A Peach Bellini - it feels like that first sip of a refreshing cocktail on a hot summer day while lounging by the pool. This one was a real surprise - in a very good way - it's the perfect August scent.

Additional Comments: Although I'm not familiar with what they specifically smell like, I've run across a few scents now that have some combination of white musk, bergamot, heliotrope and oakmoss, and I haven't disliked any of them. In future, I won't shy away from any blends which include these.

Lasted: About 2 hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Wet on me this is almost entirely peach, but with the heliotrope sparkling happily background. Dry it is practically identical to how it was when wet. This is a very pretty, sparkly, summery blend, which (despite staying the same all the way through) does give a feel of ephemerality that is somewhat appropriate.

A glorious, peach treasure of a scent. It's light, sparkling, fruity and pink. The white musk is such a pleasant touch behind the peach. It's totally worthy of the name Fae, I can just picture the sprites flittering around on a warm spring morning. I LOVE this one, and I think I'm going to need a 5 ml. :P

This just seems like a classic BPALish scent to me.

In the bottle: Bergamot and Heliotrope. Exactly. I'm not getting any mixed signals here.

Wet: My skin immediately found the white musk and warmed up, becoming more sensual.

Dry: the peach comes through more, but is tempered by the other notes. All of which blend together perfectly.

This scent is not very me, but it is sooo beautiful and if I smelled this on someone else I would probably be totally bowled over and demand they give me their gloriously sniff-worthy pulse points for the day. For some reason I am reminded of my grandma's piano bench, which was old and velvet and a little dusty, but smelled ladylike and seemed all knowing.

In the Imp: sweeeeeeet. sugary peach drink with southern comfort in it. a sticky ambrosia you're not supposed to drink while you're in Faerie, or be doomed to stay forever

Wet: Boozy candy. fruity. I'm not used to fruity. this is the scent doomed to have no story. I have the feeling that I am not going to like it.

20 Minutes: okay, I think I know why they say it's brilliant and ethereal, but that's just not right for me. It's still boozy peach popsiccle melting across my knuckles. it's delicious, but so. not. me. and I have the sneaking preview of a headache, so I'm washing it off and it's going in the swap pile.

Later: I'm still disappointed. thinking back, it was a lot like trying to eat a peach popsicle on a sticky hot summer day while watching a ball game, but the home team lost.