Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
coulrophobe

Dragon's Reverie

Opium-laced dreams of flame, plunder, power and fury: dragon’s blood resin, poppy, amber and ylang ylang.

First sniff: Dragon’s blood and heavy sweet florals.

Wearing: It’s quite floral with the heavy red of dragon’s blood behind it.

I got this one as a frimp, so I thought I'd add my perspective as a newbie trying a scent I hadn't picked! I am really pleased with this one - the description didn't sound like my sort of scent at all, but it really works.

I'm not sure that this will give me dreams of plunder or power, but it is a very nice scent. It is quite sweet, laid over with a musky, light incense sort of smell, with a perfume of something like exotic flowers and something almost salty behind it. Not one I would have picked myself, but it's really rather lovely. Definitely a keeper.

In bottle: Dragon’s blood with something to lighten it - it's not as heavy as Blood Rose which is the only other dragon's blood blend I've met yet.

Wet: florals have crawled out on top, but the dragon’s blood is still lurking underneath and the amber is contemplating showing up eventually.

Dry: florals in retreat, amber advancing, drangon’s blood just hanging out

Later: the spiciness of the dragon’s blood comes up with the cherry of it and the mellowness of amber. lasts about 8 hours on me.

Summary: very pleasant, will definitely finish the imp, will wait to see about a bottle.

In vial: I'm not getting much from this. A touch of sweet florals.

Wet: More of the same. It's light, a bit of the amber, and a sleepy resin-like scent. Sweet florals. Very light.

Drydown: Still sweet, light florals. This is well blended. I don't think I'll buy a bottle, but I'm going to hang onto it for awhile to see if it grows on me.

I swapped for a bottle of this, having not re-checked the notes, because I love Dragon's Blood and want to try all of the Ars Draconis scents on principle. This scent is absolutely gorgeous on me - rich and resinous - redolent with the DB and amber and a whiff of smoke. I get almost no floral from this, and if I had to guess, I would have put money on this having a splash of the Lab's Red Musk note. Very very odd, skin chemistry...but I'm not complaining. :P

In the bottle: :P Dragon's blood & poppy! Yay!

First on: Very floral. Damn you ylang ylang. The poppy is still there and the amber is showing a little, so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Drydown: Interesting. It's still a bit floral, but it's also smoky and sweet. It's very seductive.

Overall: Like!!

this was a freebie for me and wow, is it good! i love dragon's blood and honestly that dominates this scent. it's very sweet and smells like incense in a good way. i really can't pick out many individual notes but whatever it is, it works on me.

REally good, rich, warm. I often have problems with Dragon's blood. But not in this blend.

This is a lovely, soft, earthen incensey Dragon's Blood blend. The dragon's blood in this takes a back seat to the soft florals and the ylang ylang that are the dominant notes. The amber note is barely there, but it does give the blend a soft, almost powdery feel.

This is quite soft for a dragon's blood blend, and doesn't have a lot of throw. I do like this, I think it's a very pretty scent.

I received Dragon's Reverie as a frimp from the lovely roseaeron, and my initial impression is that it smells like my local metaphysical shop. This must be the dragon's blood and amber influence. I winced a bit at the description, because of the ylang ylang. Normally, I'm not so much a fan of the ylang ylang, but in this it's balanced quite nicely by the resins. I notice the ylang ylang more than the poppy, but all in all, this is a very nice blend, and I'll be keeping it as an evening scent, or days when I want something a little deeper.

In the imp: Spicy

On Skin: Spicy resiny floral.

On Drydown: I smell the ylang ylang. The base of dragon's blood works well with this. The amber seems to lend some sweetness to it as well.

Verdict: I'm not a huge fan of dragon's blood resin but this was a delightful surprise. Still not the kind of floral I'm attracted to but perhaps I was too quick to dismiss the Ars Draconis line and dragon's blood in general. Reconsiderations will be had.

This is the sinuous dragon of Asian painting and sculpture, the one who loves pondering in a cloud of smoke, more so than burninating the peasants.

The poppy gets the scent nice and toasty, and the dragon's blood does a great deal to amplify the floral notes and keep them from disappearing -- many florals vanish instantly on me (fair, dry skin), but here, I still get them for a decent while before it's strictly dragon's blood and amber (a combination I don't mind at all).

Very similar overall to Blood Amber and Rage.

Of all the dragon scents, this one is my favorite. I love how the florals play off the dragons blood. It was part of my very first Lab order, and after one wearing I bought a big bottle. It's flove, I tell ya. :P

I have high, high hopes for this one.

Dragon's blood and ylang-ylang are in the front, with a subtle whiff of other incense below. On, it's a slowly-warming blend of incenses in which the poppy is a high, keening note twined inextricably and strangely with the ylang-ylang. The dragon's blood is a sweet undercurrent, juicy, liquid, that keeps this from being too shrill, though it is a very high-pitched perfume.

I was expecting this to be more smoky and dirty, more like Chrysanthemum Moon, but it's not. It's powerfully light and almost clean as the ylang-ylang and dragon's blood make it vaguely soapy in character.

I like this. I don't like it as much as I expected to, or in the way I expected, but I do like it.

This has persistence, and respectable throw, and while it's not what I'd characterize as an aggressive scent, it does linger powerfully.

The drydown is utterly fantastic, whatever I may think of the windup. Almost gone, it's burned-out amber with a stiff dose of tarry opium and a faint whiff of crusted dragon's blood on the inside of the brazier. Beautiful, and worth the wait to get there.

Sweet and spice. I love this! I haven't tried too many of the Draconis blends because they seemed a bit much for me. The floral isn't too strong, nor is the incense overpowering. I can detect the poppy, but it doesn't seem dominate to me. I want a big bottle of this one!

I just got my very first order today, and decided to pop my BPAL cherry with this scent. I am SO GLAD I did.

I can't describe what it was like in the bottle, but when it was wet on my skin, I got an immediate rush of spice that I'm guessing was a combination of the dragon's blood resin and the ylang ylang.

Then it hit this amazing, gorgeous, sensual peak about ten minutes after I put it on...it was like the height of a very, very good dream. It was fiery and yet understated. Awhile later, it dried down to a smoky, warm amber that had the perfect hint of sweetness from the poppy. That stayed with me the longest, until it faded out into the faintest trace of the amber.

The dragon's blood actually seemed a little weak and was definitely was one of the first notes to fade, and the scent lasted about 4 hours on me...not nearly as long as I'd like, but this smelled so good I can forgive that. I think I'll try another from this line to see if I can get something with a stronger kick of the dragon's blood, but seems I've hit a winner with my very first try!

I'm making myself wait and try out all of my imps before buying any bottles, otherwise I'd be ordering a 5 ml of this right now.

Wet: Mostly flowers with just a hint of dragon's blood curling my nose.

Drydown: Ooooh....now this is a nice, warm scent on me. Mmmm....

Dry: Minimal throw, minimal staying power: the warm scent is still there, but it's very faint.

My rating: 3/5. Not bad at all, and is probably the first 'warm' scent that worked on me while still remaining 'warm.' Not sure about it as perfume, per se, but it's a nice scent experience.

Warm Dragon's Blood and florals...the first Ars Draconis I've really considered buying. It's a little sweet and warm. Overall it's very pretty and comforting!

Imp: Soft and musky. I want to dive right in but must control my inner slathercat.

Wet: Ylang ylang comes to the fore. Being one of the few notes that my nose instantly recognizes, I am pleased. I also get a hint of clove here as well. Yum yum.

Drydown: Amber begins to deepen the ylang ylang, and I suspect, also contribute a powdery tinge.

Dry: Soft, sweet and musky, but a tad powdery (though not unwearable).

Verdict: Definitely likable, but perhaps would be better in a locket.

Warm with a hint of dragon pee. A little bit of the floral is coming through. Sharpness fades in and out. Borderline on me.

The very last Ars Draconis for me! And there is a reason I've left this 'til last: with amber and ylang ylang I fear this one won't be for me, dragon's blood or not.

In the imp: Dragon's blood with a touch of floral.

Wet: Soft dragon's blood and floral - very nice actually!

Drydown: Oh wow, this is a floral I really do like! It's mainly poppy and soft dragon's blood, with a little ylang ylang.

Just dry: The amber curse strikes again... Having said that it's a rather nice powdery floral dragon's blood. It has some soft throw too, mainly the dragon's blood which is normal for me.

Fully dry: Crazy. It's lost most of the powder! It's also gained a lot of floral, but whereas ylang ylang usually takes over a scent in this case it hasn't. The dragon's blood underneath seems to be keeping it well under control. And despite being a floral I really quite like this.

And then it gradually turns to baby powder with a hint of floral *sigh*.

This actually was a lot better than what I expected, but the bloody amber hates me. I'm still keeping the imp though, just so I've got the entire set. Plus this will work nicely in a scent locket.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Dragon's Reverie smells like sweetened incense resin. As it dried, it took on a hazy, airy quality. For a short time, it smelled like baby powder, but now it's back to the sweet haziness. This would be great for lazy summer days.

In the vial - Deliciously smoky and spicy. It reminds me a little of Blood Amber, for some reason - I suspect it's the shared amber note.

Wet on the skin - A peppery and rich scent with an undertone of sweetness. The dragon's blood is forceful and rich, but not overly so. The opium adds a languid and soft overlay.

Next stage - The sweetness disappears quickly, leaving a smoky and resinous scent

that has a feeling of great power and majesty.

Dry down - After about 20 minutes the amber note begins to develop more fully into deep, incense-like tones, but flashes of the earlier sweetness begin to reappear, along with the syrupy scent of ylang ylang.

To sum up - A wonderful scent for autumn; confident, smoky and languid.

Similar blends - Blood Amber, Ladon.

As I've said before, I'm totally biased when it comes to reviewing Dragon's Blood scents because i luuurve them.

This one is not the nicest of the one's i've tried but still pleasant all the same.

Obviously the Dragon's Blood is the first thing to jump out. This always happens for me. I'm not really sure what poppy smells like so I can't comment, but I can say that as it dries down the Amber gives it a slightly softer feel, and the ylang ylang is apparrent too. I wish I could know what poppy smelled like to know if it's there or not! When it's completely dry it does smell quite sharp...so maybe that's the poppy..who knows? hehe.

It's a nice blend, a slightly softer one to some of the others!

There is something fragile yet smoky and slight fiery about this. You could imagine a dragon giving way to more delicate modes of thought for certain moments if this is its reverie. Very pretty and I will definitely be holding onto my imp.

Rating: 3/5