Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Hippiesh, spicy, musky scents - without patchouli

I haven't tried many smoky scents, but I'll put in a suggestion of Djinn. Beautifully spicy and warm - someone said to me that it was "the essence of sex" - but there again, she'd only had 30 minutes sleep all night because she was... ahem... otherwise occupied. :P

BTW, although Kali is lovely and quite dark, it has a habit, at least on my skin, of going ickily floral for a large part of the drydown.

Anu suggestions for something that smells like snake oil - the patchuli? Im going for something exotic and spicy smelling, with some vanilla..but noooo patchuli.

TIA :P

Anu suggestions for something that smells like snake oil - the patchuli? Im going for something exotic and spicy smelling, with some vanilla..but noooo patchuli.

TIA :P

Scherezade, perhaps? I seem to recall that it was similar to Snake Oil. O is a lovely, soft vanilla- fairly sweet, though. Maybe Dragon's Milk layered with Scherezade would be a good alternative? I'm not sure! Just thought I'd chime in.

You might want to try Hollywood Babylon. It's more red musk to me. Also Vixen is great for the red musk shot without any patchouli that I remember.

Seconding Morocco. Snake Oil smells a little bit sweeter than Morocco but other than that they smell very similar.

Snake Oil has patchouli in it? Whooooa. Patchouli is my arch-nemesis in perfume and I didn't even notice it!

Anyways, as per your question....Snake Charmer, it smells very very similar to Snake Oil but it's a bit lighter, has a touch of fruit and a bit more musk. Since the lab did a Carnival Noir re-release, it's not as hard to find as it used to be.

Edited by faifai

I'm going to second the Snake Charmer and Scherezade. However, I have to disagree on the O. Snake Oil and O are my top two of all time, and I know people like to draw comparisons; but to my nose (and I've smelled both on other people as well as myself) they have nothing in common other than being in the same gourmond family.

You may also want to try Smut, if you can find some as there have been several comparisons drawn between it and Snake Oil and Scherezade.

ETA

I also seem to recall some people who cannot wear Snake Oil can wear Golden Priapus. It's a masculine blend, but on my husband it smells a lot like Snake Oil should (Snake Oil does strange things on his skin from time to time).

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me on that rec. THX.

Edited by judas_kiss

I also seem to recall some people who cannot wear Snake Oil can wear Golden Priapus. It's a masculine blend, but on my husband it smells a lot like Snake Oil should (Snake Oil does strange things on his skin from time to time).

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me on that rec. THX.

They have a similar vanilla note, only GP has a wood base note instead of patchouli. And I find Bow & Crown of Conquest to be similar to Golden Priapus, so that also might be worth a try.

I also found Blood Kiss to be similar to Snake Oil, but you'd have to contend with vetiver instead of the patchouli note.

Chokmah is almost a dead ringer for Snake Oil. I don't know if it has patchouli in it, but it's also got sassafras, which lightens it up quite a bit.

Diana, I agree with you on the Bow & Crown rec. Since many are suggesting Morocco, I would suggest that as well as it is very similar to both Golden Priapus as well as Morocco on my skin.

i agree with the snake charmer recommendation. i'm not a big fan of snake oil on me, but snake charmer smells excellent.

Oils that gave me a Snake Oil feel without patchouli were Snake Charmer, Smut and Eat Me. Vixen I do believe has some patchouli in it, at least to my nose it's the same base as Snake Oil.

Vixen actually has a strong patchouli note. I love it to death, and I've found that some people who hate patchouli due to "unwashed hippie" associations don't mind the patchouli in Vixen when I wear it, but others do, and it's certainly very present.

Morocco and O smell nothing like Snake Oil to me. At all. I always think it's interesting when people say that - noses and body chemistry are so different! :D

Snake Oil was WRETCHED on me. Hollywood Babylon, though VERY fruity, obviously shares a note with Snake Oil because it has the same unpleasant funkiness on my skin that Snake Oil does - so that's one possibility. Sin shares the same note (or at least the same funk :P ), so that's another. Scherezade, if I'm remembering correctly, is a third. And surprisingly enough, Lampades may have been a fourth that went weird in the same way on me, thus leading me to believe it shares the same note (though I tested it so long ago I can't quite remember). I'm not sure if any of those have vanilla, though.

But for a wearable Snake Oil variant, I'd recommend Snake Charmer if you can get your hands on some. I really like Snake Charmer.

Edited by Electra

Another vote for Eat Me. To me, Eat Me is a lighter version of Snake Charmer (which many say is a lighter version of Snake Oil).

Just to clarify--it's in the drydown that people have compared GP to SO. The wet stage of GP is very evergreen-y, but it goes much, much softer on the drydown.

Thank you guys for all these great recs. ( I was thinking of trying Eat me anyway, because someone told me it smelled like frosting and I love smelling like food)

I grew up in a town with lots of stinky unwashed hippies that wore tons of patchuli, so now I can smell it no matter where it is present...( No offense intended to stinky hippies)

Okay, I just wanted to perform one of my JK mini-jacks...

I knew I should have stayed the hell outta this thread...I love me some Snake Oil, O, and Sin and now...now....I just HAVE to try Eat Me. Thanks a lot guys. :P

Back to your regularly scheduled scent discussion.

Thank you guys for all these great recs. ( I was thinking of trying Eat me anyway, because someone told me it smelled like frosting and I love smelling like food)

I grew up in a town with lots of stinky unwashed hippies that wore tons of patchuli, so now I can smell it no matter where it is present...( No offense intended to stinky hippies)

:P

some of us bathe ~and~ wear patchouli!

:D

Sarada, you know you don't bathe. Admit it!

Now I'm interested in trying Eat Me! I wasn't interested in it at all, because it sounded sickeningly sweet (I'm not a vanilla-frosting girl), but a lighter Snake Charmer sounds goooooood. May have to imp it.

Snake Charmer was actually a wearable Snake Oil to me, since it's the vanilla in Snake Oil that turns me off...but I only like Snake Charmer in the fall apparently since I haven't worn it since then.

Has anyone mentioned Love Me as a possibility yet? I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen reviews that compare it to Snake Oil on the drydown (after a cinnamon-y opening).