Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Hippiesh, spicy, musky scents - without patchouli

but without patchouli, or the patchouli is very subtle. I've decided that I like scents more along the line of this, such as Old Morocco. Any other suggestions?

Haunted come to mind. And Anne Bonny. I just layered some together with a touch of Snake Oil and oh boy I smell yummy!

Also Greed, Shroud, Cathedral and Tarot the World (which I may gotten from you, so maybe not!)

Scherezade is wonderful, too. If I remember, it's saffron, sandalwood, and red musk, with no patchouli. It is spicy and warm and very, very sexy.

I can't remember, do you like carnation. I just got an imp of Masquerade and I like it very much. Normally patchouli does not work on me at all, but in this one it does.

Emilia - if you are familiar with the scent of Coco Chanel (not the new Coco Mademoiselle one, the classic Coco), Scheherazade kind of reminds me of that without the chemically smell. It's DIVINE. And if you don't like it, I'll buy it off of you :P

Black Lotus...to me,it smells like the shop i used to buy incence and blacklight posters in (a million years ago),and there's no patchouli in it : )

Ok, so my best girl just emailed me:

"If I wanted something non-floral, sort of mysterious or musky or spicy

(but not all patchouli), what would you suggest? Clearly you are the

girl to ask."

Well, maaaaybe, but thought I'd ask you girls (and boys) as well, because that leaves the field wide open. Most of mine are florals, but out of the ones I have I thought of:

Mystery, Intrigue, Three Witches, Snake Oil, Tintagel, and I bet she'd love Wanda (dominatrix tendencies! :D)

Other ideas? Like I said, I'm deficient in this category because I'm a green/floral kinda faery. :P

I'd have to say Haunted (dark musk) and wears very well on my skin, at least. Also, Old Morroco, but it has carnation in it.........which is a spicy floral.

those are my top 2. Sin would be my third choice....not sure if it's musky or just spicy though.

Scherezade. Definitely.

Otherwise, Bewitched is a good bet. It's got a ton of musk in it, and smells delicious. Wanda, like you suggested, is another good one for the musk. Dragon's Heart is wonderfully musky and spicy and mysterious all at once. Carnivale is also good, and has more spice than Bewitched (thanks to the carnations). And, um, Haunted.

tintagel was fairly happy on me. it wasn't at all mysterious or dark. three witches and snake oil are a must. i'm a fellow wanda lover, so DEFINITELY that one. on my skin, it's bright and boozey, but does dry down to something fairly dark.

here's what i would recommend on top of those:

carnivale

scherezade

inferno

old morocco

hellfire

debauchery

bloodlust

bacchanalia

haunted

glasya

deimos

lust

ETA: hypothermya always beats me to the punch! luckily, we tend to recommend the same things. :P

Edited by diabolique

I would have to agree with lorajc...Sin is very spicy, also for a spicy/musky smell Scherezade. It;s so sexy and spicy and musky, I'm sure she'll love it.

I'm pimping this one all over the place because I LOVE it:

Aureus - goes sweetish spicy on Mr. L and my Aureus-loving friend, goes woody-spicy on me... it's great all around.

Also...

Old Morocco

Scherazade

Old Kathmandu

Haunted (I've yet to try it but it should be arriving soon)

Three Witches

Kali

ETA: oh, and Bloodlust is great, too. Spicy and red and warm and mysterious.

Edited by ladylatemar

I second the nod at Queen of Sheba -- but QoS tends to alternate between very sweet and very bitter depending on cycles, etc.

I think Greed would be a good one -- the copal is dark and smoky, the frankincense is resiny, the patchouli isn't as strong as in some of the other blends...

Masabakes is another good one, as is Blood [oh, yes, BLOOD!], and Velvet. :P

Blood, Old Morocco, Queen of Sheba, Intrigue, Rakshasa, Vixen and Lust are the ones that I have that are spicy and mysterious. :P

I have to second (or third) the recs for Hellfire and Hecate. Both are slightly sweet and musky, but in completely different ways. Old Kathmandu is also quite lovely (spicy/smokey/inscensy), and not as strong as the first two.

EDA - I also have to suggest Voodoo, which is spicy and gorgeous and which I feel compelled to suggest to everyone!

Edited by nevermore

I'll add a vote to Hecate and Mystery, and also propose Kweku Anansi and Darkness. I'd say that out of these (and I haven't tried many of the ones listed above), for sheer 'swirling cloak' mystery, Mystery is the way to go. Kweku Anansi is the spiciest of the bunch (due to the frankincense), and Hecate the most intriguing/musky. I'm having troubles remembering exactly what Darkness smells like, since I haven't smelled it in awhile. Mystery was the first one I tried of my bunch, and I remember it very distinctly as it was distinct and wonderful. Hecate I just wore the other day, but other than those two, I've been spending most of my time with the newer scents that just came in swaps (and Kweku Anansi is one of those, which I just wore today). Anyway, even though I can't get a better fix on Darkness, I think it would definitely go in that category...

And, since this is probably my *favorite* category of smells, I'm going to hurry off and write down everyone's suggestions for my own selfish purposes!

Witch's Dagger, I've been doing the same thing this whole thread. What wonderful and well thought out suggestions! (scribble scribble)

Of my first BPAL order (ten imps total) my favorites were Old Morroco and French Creole. I'm definitely most at home in the mysterious/musky/spicy family.

Queen of Sheba

i can vouch for this one. it's what i put on my cleavage in the morning when i'm in a bitchy, bitter, holier-than-thou mood, otherwise known as the, "don't fuck with me. i'm a bombshell and i'll break your heart" mood.

Edited by diabolique

"If I wanted something non-floral, sort of mysterious or musky or spicy (but not all patchouli), what would you suggest?"

Today I'm wearing Ouija, and I can attest that it is certainly mysterious. Kind of incensey/musky - and the florals are so subdued by the smokey incense that they are nearly undetectable.