Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
septima_pica

I want to smell like dirt! Dirt, Earth, Soil recommendations

Tombstone and Death Cap definitely smelled dirty to me. However, Tombstone begins dirty and then becomes more vanilla like. But yeah, Death Cap is definitely very earthy.

Yes. Yes, it is.

::wants like mad::

There are a lot of other dirt/rotting-plant-matter scents among the Halloweenies too, so I expect that the dirt-lovers are going to be all over this update. I've been wanting to wear Zombi every other day, just from the anticipation.

Deep in Earth was too geranium-heavy for me to smell anything else, unfortunately, and Death of the Gravedigger is lovely but not as dirty as I was hoping. The soil in it seems to be frozen, rather than the wet active decomposing soil in Zombi.

ETA: Badger. Everyone needs to try Badger.

Edited by septima_pica

In Hot Springs, there's a shop called Bath Junkie where you can mix perfume oils for things like moisturizing spritzers and soaps and lotions. (I'm currently not allowed to visit until I use up all the things I bought on my last trip.)

My favorite blend I've come up with is dirt, apples and pomegranate. I love it, but I'd love to try a BPAL take on those notes or something I could layer with the products as the perfume mist doesn't last long on me. Suggestions?

In Hot Springs, there's a shop called Bath Junkie where you can mix perfume oils for things like moisturizing spritzers and soaps and lotions. (I'm currently not allowed to visit until I use up all the things I bought on my last trip.)

My favorite blend I've come up with is dirt, apples and pomegranate. I love it, but I'd love to try a BPAL take on those notes or something I could layer with the products as the perfume mist doesn't last long on me. Suggestions?

Interesting combination! Have you tried Worm Moon (mold-crusted dirt, decomposing organic matter, coffin wood, drooping funeral flowers, congealed blood, gloomy lunar oils, cuckoo flower, and a gruesome burst of overripe red fruits)? It sounds like it would be right up your alley. Nosferatu (desiccated herbs and gritty earth brought to life with a swell of robust and sanguineous red wines) is also an earthy-tart blend you might like.

Hymn to Proserpine layered with something earthy might work, too.

Otherwise, you might consider layering a dirt scent (Graveyard Dirt, Badger, Death Cap) with an apple blend (The Hesperides, Verdani, Poisoned Apple) and a pomegranate blend (Swank, Dionysia, Persephone).

Shango has both apple and pomegranate, but it also has a whole lotta other fruit. I'm not sure what it smells like, but it might be worth checking out.

One of the anniversary scents is a dirt blend with fruits, although they're not the ones requested. (mmmmm. dirt. :P)

EARTH PHOENIX

Hard work, patience, and harmony: Chinese musk, dark musk, and moist soil with black cherry, opopponax, night-blooming jasmine, plum, woodland tobacco, snakeweed, and cypress.

It's not a tart fruit, but there is always Banana Peel in a Graveyard, A banana peel discarded among tombstones and crypts.

And along the same line, since reviews theorize patchouli in Banana Peel: perhaps (black) patchouli as the dirty/earthy note in your dirt + (tart) fruit combination? That opens up a lot of possibilities. Off the top of my head:

Depraved, Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot. (Seems like a good bet to me.)

Samhain, Truly the scent of autumn itself -- damp woods, fir needle, and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein. (Which is the only one of these I've tried, and it seems like a good bet.)

Fortunato, A deep, rich sherry encased in dusty darkness, touched by oak, and damp catacomb stone. The scent begins with a sense of drunken glee, of orange peel, bittersweet berry and rose hip, and moves inexorably towards the dread and terror expressed in black patchouli.

Tweedledum, Absurd! Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

And there are, I dunno, approximately a billion other patchouli blends—so it gives you a bit more content to browse through for fruit combos.

I would see if I could get my hands on some Crypt Queen: As sweet as death, as deep as the grave: pomegranate, raspberry, gardenia, plum, and rose with patchouli, black pepper, rose musk, and a hint of blood accord.

I see it here and there in the swaps, so you might not have too hard a time getting a hold of some. Dirt is not listed as a note, but there is a definite "dirt and raspberries" vibe to it. Plus! BPAL rose goes funky/metallic on me in most instances, but I can wear Crypt Queen with no issues.

Quite rare, but Queen of Clubs is blackberry dirt. :P

(ps. I second Penny Dreadful - my most fav gourmand dirt scents ever.)

I completely forgot that I had started this thread. (Working overnight makes your brain go wobbly.)

Thank you for all the recommendations!

Quite rare, but Queen of Clubs is blackberry dirt. :P

(ps. I second Penny Dreadful - my most fav gourmand dirt scents ever.)

Yes, I was definitely thinking QoC when I read the OP. It does have pomegranate, though it's definitely a smoother fruit, not too tart. Give it a shot if you can find some!

Does anyone know of a scent that smells like the high desert after a rainstorm? Like wet clay-ey, sandy dirt with sagebrush, pinion, juniper, rabbit brush, etc? I live in Utah, and I love the way the desert mountains smell after a rain storm. It's mostly the smell of the wet, clay soil that I'm longing for.

Edited by Wisteria

For those who enjoy the BPAL dirt/soil/loam note, definitely check out Yorick:

Yorick
(Illyria) - Grave dirt, bone, decay, angel's trumpet, and moldering scraps of shroud: the essence of finality.

It's very similar to Graveyard Dirt, and it's GC!

Does anyone know of a scent that smells like the high desert after a rainstorm? Like wet clay-ey, sandy dirt with sagebrush, pinion, juniper, rabbit brush, etc? I live in Utah, and I love the way the desert mountains smell after a rain storm. It's mostly the smell of the wet, clay soil that I'm longing for.

I havent yet, and thats the oil of my dreams too. I did want to try lightning over Umbra, but never got the chance. It seemed like that had potential.

I've found a couple of new dirt loves in the past couple of updates, namely The Fool (like a wet herb garden in Ireland) and The Season of Inundation (slushy, cold wet dirt and resins). If you're a dirt whore like me, these are must-haves.

Thanks for the tip on Yorick, Apple---for some reason that one totally escaped my attention! I've gotta grab an imp and see how it compares to my HG, original Graveyard Dirt. The new GD is almost as good but I think it needs some aging to become slightly less dusty and more dirty and earthy and wet and mmmmm.

I've found a couple of new dirt loves in the past couple of updates, namely The Fool (like a wet herb garden in Ireland) and The Season of Inundation (slushy, cold wet dirt and resins). If you're a dirt whore like me, these are must-haves.

Thanks for the tip on Yorick, Apple---for some reason that one totally escaped my attention! I've gotta grab an imp and see how it compares to my HG, original Graveyard Dirt. The new GD is almost as good but I think it needs some aging to become slightly less dusty and more dirty and earthy and wet and mmmmm.

You're very welcome! I think you will like Yorick; although not identical, it's the closest to Graveyard Dirt of all the BPAL "dirt" scents that I've tried.

And now you have me lusting after The Season of Inundation and The Fool - they both sound marvelous!

Ahhh the dirt. Me loves the dirt.

I bought the scent called Mother Earth from The Body Perfumery and it smells identical of Bpal's Graveyard dirt.

I got it in shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, lotion and perfume oil (before Graveyard Dirt was re-released).

Dirt and fresh cut grass are my two favourite scents!

I haven't tried Yorick or Badger yet. Guess I need to edit my wishlist!!!

yorick is my favorite dirt scent lately. i adore penny dreadful and graveyard dirt but yorick has been my favorite this week. though, i have been loving death of the grave digger too. i'm still letting both badger age a bit, i'm looking forward to opening it up at christmas.

also: deep in earth. i can't wear it because of the heavy rose scent (which is way stronger than it is in zombi) but it's still a quite prominent dirt note.

Edited by hkhm

Earth Phoenix has really aged and become more dirt-laden than when it was fresh.

Graveyard Dirt Resurrected too, and yeah Death of the Grave Digger - oh my, that is just amazing. Snow and soil like the notes say!

Bless you, those who mentioned Penny Dreadful and reminded me I have an imp lying around here. It's fantastic! Best bpal pure dirt scent I've ever tried, hands down :)

I also really like Potter's Field for some dirty fun - that one has a dirt and dried grass vibe I really like.

Apple and pensarepink mentioned Deep In Earth, and I have to mention it again, on the grounds that it smells like, well, dirt. Ideal for seducing a gardener, but as my tastes run toward musks and spices, I, uh, didn't get much use out of it. I can't imagine something smelling -more- like dirt, though.

I will chime in with a recommendation of Destroying Angel for anyone looking for a really nice dirt note. On me, its pure dirt wet, and very slowly, over 4 hours or so, transitions into really light white floral. But its more like a ghost of white floral. And I don't do floral. But I like it a lot anyway...