Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clover

Apples?? Finding the right apple scent

Fearful Pleasure and Lambs-Wool are both very cider-apple-ish on me. The description for Pomona - Azaroles, nuts, and apple blossoms with red apple pulp, mulberry, blackberry, and pomegranate juice - sound very appley, but I haven't sniffed or worn it, and I can't confirm anything.

As far as a spiced apple goes - I'd recommend Fearful Pleasure, or, failing that, the Apple-Scent-Of-Your-Choice, layered with either Bengal, Plunder, Saw-Scaled Viper or Chimera.

EDIT - I tested Fearful Pleasure and Lambs-Wool at the same time and I'm horribly ashamed to admit that I can barely tell the difference. FP has a stronger throw and after an hour or two, the spices in it are stronger, but for the first hour or so, there's only minimal difference between the two. Granted, it could be my skin chemistry, or my inability to distinguish between the more subtle notes, but I couldn't really tell the difference. (Not that that's a bad thing - it's a very nice scent.)

Edited by Dominique

I love Lambs-Wool! Harvest spices that dry down to a lovely creamy apple scent, sweet but not overly-sugary, warm and soft, really wonderful. Not *too* literally apple-y.

Pomona is nice but it has a lot of other stuff going on, so it doesn't read as an 'apple' scent to me. It reminds me a lot of Eden, actually.

Is there anything that smells like a granny smith apple just when it's cut? Not an impression of it but really something that smells exactly like a freshly cut granny smith?

unfortunately, i don't think there's a single bpal blend i would describe as "granny smith single note". how i wish there were one. poisoned apple is probably the closest, but it's definitely got a bite from the hemlock (i know the description says red apple, but it always smells like green apple to me).

Snow, Glass, Apples is very green apple to me. In fact, Poisoned Apple reminds me a lot of SGA. I get green apple from both of them, not red apple.

can't believe i forgot about sga. yes, it's quite the icy cold green apple. poisoned apple is a bit sharper to my nose but they are very, very similar.

Is there anything that smells like a granny smith apple just when it's cut? Not an impression of it but really something that smells exactly like a freshly cut granny smith?

That's what The Apple of Sodom smelled like to me. It does have some herbal notes, but to me the apple seemed the most prominent.

There's some fabulous recommendations on this thread! I got a free sample of Ladon in my first order and fell in love with the warm apple-y glory of it - so was super happy to see a whole thread of apple recommendations. Been adding lots of these to my wish-list!!

Anyway, I was wondering what the opinions were on which apple scents are really long-lasting? I adore Ladon but it's totally gone within about two hours of pretty heavy application - my skin likes the scent as much as my nose does. :) So I was wondering if anyone had any specific recs for apple-y scents which have good staying power. Thank you!

The apple note in SGA lasts for a very, very long time.

Although it's more of a spiced apple, the apple in Fearful Pleasure is also very long-lasting.

sugar-slathered candied apple lasts for a really long time on my skin. poisoned apple and fearful pleasure are right behind it in terms of length.

sga's apple is rather fleeting on me but leaves it's impression, rather than it's apply-ness, for a while.

i think apply-ness is my new favorite word.

sarajane and hkhm, thanks so much for those recs, I appreciate it. I'm going to go hunt down those scents now ... They sound gorgeous smelling, they sound promisingly long-lasting AND they have awesome names! ^_^ Thanks again.

i thought of one more: shango. it's not all apple on me (there's also banana and coconut and a hint of spice), but the apple is quite noticeable and this one lasts a long, long, long time on me.

I have to say Creepy is a very strong tart apple scent... I tried pomona this morning, and boy does it smell strong and nutty in the bottle. It mellows down to a REALLY nice apple scent once dried on skin. :wub2: A soft, wearable apple.

i assume you mean creepy 2009? the 2006 version is not tart at all, more warm and crisp. more red than green.

i assume you mean creepy 2009? the 2006 version is not tart at all, more warm and crisp. more red than green.

yes, sorry, the 2009. :) pomona feels like the softer version of creepy on me. Creepy was very strongly apple scented.

Ladon is my most fav apple scent, it even trumps Lambs-wools spicey, cidery goodness. It's got a decent last and throw and I love that the Dragon's Blood is so subtle on me ~ the apples win overall. I did try Eve and like it, but the rose was too much for me. I gifted my frimp to a co-worker and she reported back that her BF is obsessed with it on her.

my ladon experiences are mixed.

the first bottle i got was very, very appley. just a touch of dragon's blood. so beautiful, i used it up way too quickly.

the next bottle was almost pure dragon's blood with a hint of something sweet that might have been apple. i liked it all right, i suppose, but it was not the scent i had grown to love.

my current in-use bottle is pretty balanced between the two, though i'd say it's closer to the first bottle i ever had, more appley overall.

right now, all my apple love is going toward sugar-slathered candied apple. it's so gorgeous, i can't wear it often enough.

I love apple scents.

I have bottles of Ladon, Fearful Pleasure (I, also, can't tell much of a difference between this and Lambs-wool -- FP is a touch smokier and spicier in the drydown, but they're very similar wet), Snow Glass Apples, and Coral Snake.

I just want to put in a word for Coral Snake, because it's a fabulous apple blend that gets a little spice from the snake oil but is still very bright and crisp with the touch of blood orange. If you haven't delved into the snake pit for this one, you should. :)

Since no one's mentioned it in this thread thus far that I can see, the 13 from June 2008 has a very distinct apple note to me. I describe it to others as hot cocoa and apple cider.

Having done this for a little while, I'm starting to discover which notes really appeal to me and have found that I'm inordinately fond of both apple scents and rose scents. Since the BPAL catalog is impossibly huge, I was wondering if there were any blends that had both apples and roses as their dominant notes?

I haven't actually tried most of these, this was just from doing a search in the spreadsheet I have. I'm sure there are more that smell like apple/rose even if it's not in the listed notes. :)

GC:

Delirium: "apple, rose and lemon"

Eve: "Apple blossom, rose, ylang ylang and golden honey."

Les Bijoux:"Skin musk and honey, blood-red rose, orange blossom, white peach, red apple, frankincense and myrrh." This one I have tried but it didn't work on me.

LE:

La Vita Nuova: "Apple blossom, white rose, lemon balm, and champagne grape."

Edited by sunlitgarden

Eve definitely tends to go green apple and rose on me. I get no ylang-ylang or honey at all.

yep, eve is pure apple and rose.