Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A scent for all rabble-rousing, nose-thumbing reprobates: black plum, champaca flower, dark musk, patchouli, narcissus and scorched sandalwood.

My first bottle, thanks to Nymph. :P

In the bottle: Sweet, fruity incense. I like.

Wet: Extremely fruity and juicy, somewhat spicy, and with an astringent quality I'm not so sure of. The latter disappears within minutes thankfully.

After 10 minutes: It smells like bubble gum or something similiar, but with an incensy edge. However at this stage it's a bit too foody for my liking.

30 minutes: Now this is more like it! The plum has been subdued by the other notes, and now it's a deliciously warm fruity incense and fairly close to how how it smells in the bottle. I can't really detect the other notes individually, they just combine to form incense. In the case of patchouli this is a VERY good thing as I normally despise it. I can't detect any floral notes at all as they seem to have disappeared completely. This isn't a bad thing for me either!

On my wrists this disappears within an hour, two if I slather it. However if I put it in my cleavage and in the hollow of my throat it lasts for hours! I got whiffs of it all day, and also received a couple of compliments several hours after applying so it seems to have some throw.

The more I wear it the more I am falling in love with it. This one is never leaving me. Edited by Shollin

In the vial: Plum, patchouli.

On me: Yep, very dark plum and patchouli. Both seem to fade slightly after application. I now can smell something sweet - possibly the champaca flower - and burnt sandalwood.

Verdict: This is a very sensual and exotic scent on me. I'm glad the plum faded away because I don't really like plum. I like this scent, though, and will hold on to my prized little limited edition imp!

Rating: 5/5

in the bottle:patchouli, plum

wet: patchouli, sandalwood, definite resinous scent

as it dries is softens, ad sweetens greatly, it becomes a plummy musk, and sandalwood blend w/ patchouli creating a spine for it to stand up with. i adore this scent

have you ever been to one of those places where the incense sticks sit out in either jars or wooden containers or empty 7-day-candle-things?

ever just leaned over the display and breathed?

that's what this smells like to me, both in the imp and on my skin, it doesn't change much. maybe the strawberry was freshly opened and put on display today, cuz there's a distinct RED smell that always makes me think of strawberry incense.

there's also the generic nag champa smell -- by generic, i mean not the name brand, and it doesn't smell quite right. if the label isn't blue and white, and doesn't have the Satya Sai Baba name all over it, then i don't think its "real"... and this isn't real Nag Champa.

i can see how it could smell that way... but to me, the final drydown smell's more like Dior's Poison than anything else.

very plummy and berry-y with some sandalwood

This smells *exactly* like Hot Topic used to back in the day. I remember skipping school with my older friends to go hang out in Hot Topic lol

It's a sweet incense smell, nice, comforting. In the vial it was perfect, turned a bit sweet on my skin.

However, if I came across a bottle, I would pick it up :P

My friend Melissa loves Hellion. She hoards it. I've had my bottle for awhile now but since it's on display with my statue and not with the rest of my BPAL I forget that I have it, so today is the first time I've worn it.

I can't say that I love it. It's very sweet on me. I'm guess the plum is amping. And then there's this smokey overtone to it... So yeah, it's sickeningly sweet with a smokey "burnt" kind of tinge to it. It's an interesting scent but not one that I'll choose to wear often. I'll probably imp some of it out because I'll never use the whole 10ml. :P

My initial reaction was surprise that it was so golden, so warm...I expected (and hoped for even) in your face head shop patchouli. This is more like a candle flame within the room above the headshop. It definately plays nice, so that more people can enjoy it, everything blends beautifully to glow on your wrists. From first wearing, it is probably the best of the incensey scents that I have. I still want a dirty hippy kick you in the head scent, but this will be one of my favorites. How could it NOT? :P

I am totally shocked by my reaction to this one. Fruity and I are not very good friends but this knocked me out!

Wet this is juicy, deep dark plum, champaca and a whiff of cinnamon.

Dry this throws like mad. It's still very plumy (sp?), the champaca has receeded a bit and the sandalwood DOES smell scorched which I think is really cool. I think the pachouli and must are there but way, way in the background.

This baby smells deep red-violet! Really deep. And naughty.

I can't decide if I would wear this or not as it is quite heady - but I love it nonetheless.

First sniff: Red fruit and spices. Sweet plum, a dusting of spice, and that very specific almond-cherry smell that I always feel like I can taste right at the back of my throat. (Which, according to the description, isn’t in here. I blame my weird nose.)

Wearing: It really does have an almondy sweetness… it reminds me of a spicier Bordello.

I finally got to try this at today's meet'n'sniff, and it was quite a strange experience. At first, it was nicely warm, spicy and incensey... but with a slightly unpleasant undertone to it that reminded me of cat pee! Very odd. It was simultaneously nice and not-nice, though I supposed that's very appropriate for an oil created at the request of an imp.

As it settled into my skin, though, the cat pee scent eventually faded, and it just left behind a nice, warm, spicy scent that I quite liked. Although looking at the notes above, I have no idea where the spice was coming from. I would have sworn there was cinnamon or clove in here or something, and I see that at least a few other people got that from it too. And it's astonishing to me that it has two flowers -- I didn't pick up anything floral in here at all, and my skin usually amps florals like crazy.

Well, hmmm... Apart from the cat pee element, I quite enjoyed this. I may have to try and find some more... I wonder how little Seamus would look in my office? I like Balthazar better visually, but I think I may need to get some of this scent.

Grade: B (B+ once the cat pee fades)

I just got a 10 mL off of Ebay, and boy am I glad that I did! Oh my god, this is all kinds of fruity, wine-y, spicy goodness. It's juicy somehow. I could sit here and smell myself all day. The plum definitely predominates early on. Now that it's so much later in the day, the musk and the sandalwood are the predominant scents.

This is STUNNING!

In the bottle it's a gorgeous, warm, exotic incense with a background of what to me is a juicy, not too sweet, plum wine. Once it hits the skin the scent deepens and there's the wonderful smell of nag champa, a subtle smoky sandalwood with the musk and patchouli flitting about. I don't get any narcissus, really. This is beautifully blended and one of the most perfect and richly exotic incense blends EVER.

Longlasting with lovely throw. Btw, the man goes ga-ga over it :P

The wonderful The_Witching_Hour gifted me with some of this, and I am in love with it. :P It's fruity, incensey, and a little bit smokey.. totally gorgeous. I don't have a place to put the statue, but man, I really wish I could get my hands on a bottle of this.

I love this, and bought some based on the early reviews ages ago...I've put off reviewing it because...well, because sometimes it is harder to review the scents you love the most, I think.

Hellion is a deep, rich, smoky, spicy complex scent. It is in the same family as Mme. Moriarty and Red Phoenix and falls in between them I think - whereas Red Phoenix is very dry and spicy, and Mme. M is more sweet and juicy, Hellion is more of a middle ground. I love this scent, I truly do, and am treasuring my 10ml...

In the bottle I smell something almost similar to dragon's blood (which is a no-no for me), plum and a hint of patchouli.

On my skin, the 'dragons blood' feel goes away and I'm left with a smokey, resinous and fruity combination. The plum, patchouli and champaca flower are mixing beautifully!!!!

On drydown, this is a very sensual and exotic scent on me. There isn't one note that stands out.....just a SEXY scent over-all and on the drydown!!! :P

Hellion is warm, spicy, and sweet...in short, everything I love in a scent. :P

I'll treasure my decant and would be thrilled if it ever came around again.

Seamus(214/300) arrived today ! I finally could justify my purchace with some Christmas money I had left over... so after lusting after Seamus for so long I now have him in my grubby little mitts!

Hellion in the bottle was a bit to spicy in the bottle for me ..and the Patchouli was very very strong.. things were not looking good..

On my wrist, the first few sniffs we all patchouli ..then about 10 mins into wear the plum really amped up and sweetened the patchouli .. nag champa ..smoky incense resin .. then poof all gone !! Im going to try again in a few days .. if Hellion and i need to part so be it .. Ill still have Seamus and all his cuteness!

agh *choke* why?? Why is it that all the phenomenal scents that everyone else loves smell nasty on me?

On me, Hellion was a too-spicy, headshoppy mess that dried down to a pungent musky plum. I was really looking forward to Hellion because the other reviews were so lovely; sadly, this pulled a Mme Moriarty on me, enticing me with promises and then ending up smelling faintly of spicy kitchen dust. :P

hellion is a powdery incense on my skin, resinous and sweet. i'm amping the patchouli (of course) but the plum tones it down into a pleasant enough scent.

i can't wait till seamus comes in the mail :P

Hellion is everything I was hoping for and more! This is all that I've worn since I recieved it from a wonderful swapper :P

This smells like incsense....and black cherry.... the juiciest black cherry you could imagine....a very dark and mysterious scent....this is what I wanted Queen of Spades to be.....Hellion lives up to it's name....I can see why this is so popular...!!

Very long lasting too....I can still smell it 8 hours after I put it on this morning!!

This is definitely in my top 5!!!! :D

Oh---this is so beautiful! I never thought plum could be so spicy and yet still so sweet and ripe smelling! I've never tried a fragrance with plum in it and I am completely addicted now.

The spiciness goes perfectly with the incense notes...they jumble together and create this wonderful earthy, kind of glowing scent on my skin. The plum is the best part though b/c everytime I smell it I'm always a little surprised that it's there amidst all the other dark notes. And I love being surprised by my perfumes!

Oooo, plum and patchouli, what a beautiful combination!! This is a dark, fruity scent with a gorgeous undertone of sexy, smoky muskiness. I can detect a hint of sandalwood at the very back of the scent. It's uniquely fruity while being musky at the same time; a rather contradictory scent. I really like this and have never smelled anything like it. Unfortunately not a ton of throw or sticking power. Very nice :P

Oh. my. god. this is a resin lovers wet dream.

In the imp: Dark fruit, champaca, dark wet resins

On the skin: This is so gorgeous! It blossoms into a dark and complex blend of incense and spices with a hint a dark sweetness. I need to get me a bottle of this.

This is a quiet, thrumming scent. Spicy. Dark. Delicious. For me, it definitely smells like a headshop, but not like incense somehow. It's fruity, yes...but seems dry to me, whereas something like Snake Charmer is more of a ripe fruity scent IMO. None of the notes really stand out strongly...it's all blended into this swirling, delirious cloud of loveliness.

Another thing I love about this is that the champaca doesn't take over and clobber everything else, like it usually does on my skin! It gives me hope for the other champaca blends that I'm holding onto, aging, hoping that note will calm down a little. Maybe it will!

I love this scent!

Wow, is this ever beautiful. In the bottle, it smells like the world's best-smelling candle or incense shop -- it has that spicy, incensey, slightly fruity vibe. On the skin, it starts out plummy then dries down to a gorgeous warm, sweet, slightly spicy, slightly "perfumey," musky skin scent. It's dark and sort of haunting, without being overpowering or aggressive. Lasts a long time. It's simply gorgeous, and I think even people who are normally scared off by patchouli could pull this off.