Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This scent reflects the futurism, self-indulgence and excess of the Glitter 70's: champagne, hyacinth, tuberose, ylang ylang and flashing white musk with jonquil, tobacco flower, white sandalwood and a pale poppy.

i tried this a couple times with the intent to review it but was never able to pin down what it smells like to me. in the bottle it's very very very overwhelmingly floral. when i first put it on i smell lots of tuberose. i'm terrible at distinguishing most flowery scents so as it dries, all i can say is it smells like flowers with pleasant musk. i don't think i'll wear this, but i'll probably keep it for my collection just because of the whole 70's thing...

I don't get a craving to wear Stardust very often, but today was a good day for it. The scent makes me laugh: it really IS Aqua-Net and cigarettes and champagne and a wild late-seventies early-eighties party scene.

It gets a lot softer on drydown, and is the muted ghost of such a party. Still makes me smile, though. I may only wear this a couple of times a year, but I'm glad I've got some. (I've got a little of both years.) Nostalgia, ah. And Beth, as always, is a genius at blending.

Stardust (2005)-

In Bottle: Whoa, I really do smell hair spray. That ozone-smoke smell. I happen to like hair spray, but I wonder what it will smell like on my skin.

Wet: Amazingly hairspray-ish. There's flowers to promote that scent, underneath.

Dry: What an interesting dry-down--it dries down to a perfumey, hot flower scent that seems like it would appeal to those who like traditional spicy perfumes. I do like it; I don't think it's one of my favorites but I can see I how I wouldn't want to do without this one in my collection. It could get addictive.

Overall: I do like.

I'm so glad I had no idea what this scent was when I tried it :P I got it as a frimp in a trade, and just tried it with no knowledge of what the notes were. And I hate tobacco!

But this scent doesn't smell tobacco-y on me, and I'm not getting the hairspray that a lot of other people seem to get, either. Instead, it just gets...warm. Lovely and warm and cozy with a golden-brown feel to it. This is a scent I'll wear next winter to warm me up!

I had hoped that the hyacinth would be the uppermost scent here, but alas! Wet, it was kind of a sour musk, fading to very sour greenish smell, and dry, it's all sandalwood.

One of the limited edition Yule scents I'm only just getting to review. This is a ferociously perfume-y medley of bright florals in the bottle, very perfume-y, and just a little too much – definitely as decadent as an overdose. It's like a fugue of bright, shiny, glittering topnotes, in which no one note dominates, yet it's pretty smooth overall; a shimmery, wet scent with the same effervescence as a champagne waterfall.

On, it deepens. Here comes the musk and the sandalwood, arm in arm, just beautiful. There's a little rosiness, but it's surrounded by other florals, soft white ones and radiant, bright yellow ones. The poppy gives it a little bite. This is very beautiful on; it's beautiful and it even makes a stab at classy, but underneath it's just depraved. There's a drugged sort of stuporousness to it as it ages, the sharp and jangling flowers wearing down to a heady buzz atop the sandalwood's high. It's nice, and it gets nicer and less strident as it ages.

The whole thing has the same sort of lush, high-maintenance beauty that gorgeous young actresses have. This is Jessica Alba selling her soul and going blonde. It's sleek and sexy and utterly caught up in something out of control.

The description sounded very promising. Unfortunately, on me it smells at first of green grapes (the champagne, maybe?), a fresh and at the same time sweet smell, that goes away to leave an unremarkable musky sweetness. The whole morphing process doesn't take more than a few minutes.

2006 version

First Impression: A shiny, bright floral

Dries down to: Tones down a bit

Additional Comments: I don't like this version nearly as much as last year's. I get no champagne, the sandalwood is a tad too strong and the florals are insipid. Too bad.

Lasted: Less than an hour

Rating: 2 out of 5

This scent has been rocking my world for days now, so i felt compelled to write a review. Bear with me, i'm new at this.

In zee imp: musky, slightly sharp, and ever so slightly sweet.

Fresh on: Oooers, champagne and light musk with a hint of expensive hairspray. Let's par-tay, ev'rybody!

After a bit:The tobacco flower takes over in a big way and i like it! It's still a bit musky, sweet with occasional flashes of that champagne and hairspray goodness(who knew hairspray could smell so fetching?)!

Zee verdict:i can't seem to get enough of this one, which is weird, because when i first tried it nearly a year ago i wasn't quite so enamoured. Huh, things change I guess. In this case, most definitely for the better! i need a big bottle or two pronto!

Mermaidwarrior's yum-o-meter(1-5): :P :D :D :)

I wore Stardust (the old Christmas blend) today. I finally figured out what it smells like; It smells like New Romantic/New Wave music. It smells like Ian Curtis and torn fishnets and sweat-dampened hairspray and late-night musical epiphanies and walking home with your heels dangling from your fingertips.

It smells like the end of the night in a dance hall or debauched night club, all sweated-out hairspray and restrained sex and expensive booze and heady perfume and haughty-looking girls in corsets and too much eyeliner languidly laying about each other on a couch, like some old panting of a harem.

It's a very....something smell. It reminds me very much of a dear friend I had in high school, a girl whose last named meant 'Tall Trees and Stars'. It smells kinda like sex, but more like furious dry-humping in mid-afternoon than full-on-sexcapades. It smells like making out with an old lover you know you shouldn't, in the parking lot of one of those decrepit little music halls, the kind the Ramones would have played back-in-the-day, a poor mans CBGB, after a night of sweaty dancing to New Wave and Goth music, and you smell like sweat and running make-up and hairspray (made from the tears of Robert Smith), and some kind of sweet alcohol that somebody spilled on you, and like envy and desperation, and vaguely of girls. It smells like that old Smiths song "How Soon Is Now?"

Loads of ylang ylang from this one... mixed with champagne. I love all of the individual notes - the tobacco flower, poppy, etc. I just don't love them together. A miss, but regretfully so.

In the bottle: Alcoholic florals. Not what I expected at all. I didn't read the description before I smelled it, so I assumed it would be a light, ethereal scent. But this is the scent of glamour in the 70s and 80s. It's that kind of stardust.

On me: I just want to like it but I can't. There's too much alcohol. And there's something bothering me in this. The ylang ylang perhaps? Maybe the tobacco? Yes! THe tobacco makes this slightly dirty. As if I went into a smoky club, and drank a lot. That's how I feel.

Overall: I gave this to my roommate. She likes it. To be honest, I don't really like it on her either. But it won't go to waste and she is happy. :P I think this was a missed smell. It isn't horrible, it's just not what I would expect with a name like stadus.

although i wanted to try Stardust enough to get a bottle from another forumite, I had serious reservations about it working well on me because of the champagne notes amping out of control on me in Bon Vivant and also in all the Yule Champagne scents that came out this past December.

All around, though, i've been pleasantly surprised! Finally, a scent with champagne that WORKS on me! this is because that note stays put in the mix, and doesn't start screaming. later, well after dry down, the darker aspect of this scent evaporates and what's left is a beautiful floral musk that is reminiscent of very expensive perfumes as one might wear out to the opera or a gala function or new year's eve.

celebratory, extravagant, and high class, this is a floral for those of us who don't like florals!

:smile:

The one I'm testing right now is the 06 version, but I used to have a bottle of the 05 version and as far as I can remember this one smells just like that one did.

The poppy is the strongest note on me, followed by something sweet. I'm not quite familiar enough with the rest of those floral notes to be able to pick out what I'm smelling, though. Maybe hyacinth? The champagne isn't distracting or overwhelming at all. It smells extremely perfumey to me, and also pretty much just like an opium den. (Or what I imagine that smells like, anyway.) The other florals in Stardust make it more wearable on me than poppy perfumes usually are. (Sometimes I get a weird band-aid scent out of poppy.)

pale, powdery, a touch sweet after the dry down...and I smell something....sweaty?? but then it goes away. I have the 2005 version. very nice!

2005 Version

Sniffed: Chartreuse coloured oil. Heady and a little soapy, literally heavy/thick in feel. I get a ton of ylang ylang, a little hyacinth, tuberose and tobacco flower, and the spicy bite of the poppy. Some slightly dry sandalwood and sharp white musk, too.

Wet: Lighter and also more perfumey - more (soapy) tuberose, the green freshness of jonquil, and way more delicious tobacco flower. The sandalwood is perfumey, less dusty. I get a dry edge of champagne - it's not sweet or grapey at all. A bit more poppy, and the hyacinth is fruity.

Dry: Nicer - the tuberose has backed off, as has some of the ylang ylang, and the white musk & tobacco flower have really amped. Alas, so have the jonquil and poppy - this is much greener in feel, almost masculine. Champagne & hyacinth gone.

Summary: It goes weirdly sharp/chemically, and musky in a bad way (like bad body odour) - the jonquil, ylang ylang, and poppy dominate in the end too much for my likely, and it also goes sort of sour/rancid. Strong throw & longevity.

2005 Blend

Just got this in the mail today, aged four years in the Lab in a cobalt bottle. In the bottle, I get the scent of champagne and... my dad's cologne? No, seriously, whatever is in this is common in the stuff my dad wears when he (very rarely) wears his cologne. I get my dad's cologne on my skin, with a sweet edge to it. Not quite sure how to feel about this.

EDIT: Yep, this is my dad's cologne, and about twoish hours after I've applied, it's gone, except for a vague, light scent that smells like I do after I've hugged my dad while he's wearing his cologne. It's a nice scent and all, it's just not something I want to smell on my skin. Not quite sure what's causing this, as most of these other scents have showed up in stuff I've worn previously, but I'm thinking it might be the tobacco flower.

So, going to dab a bit of this on a stuffed penguin I have from the parents for some comfort, and then I think this is going to the swaps.

Edited by Venneh

Fear not: this isn't a gaudy 70's perfume dominating your nostrils but rather the faintest whispers of one, wrapped in the haze of white musk and covered in a certain frostiness. For some reason it makes me think of a glittering disco that suddenly had a window break and a blast of snow come rushing in. B) An icy, come-hither scent.

I was able to snag a vintage bottle from Puddin off of ebay. Very green in the imp and wet on my skin, but it didn't take long for the florals to pop, and they were quickly followed by the white musk and sandalwood. There is a bit of a bubbly, frosty quality that I am assuming must be the champagne. Overall, a lovely scent, if a bit light.

I'm too much of a Bowie fan not to have pounced on this one the moment I heard of it.

I was a little nervous about the components (naturally, as I was purchasing it solely for the concept, it has a lot of florals in the description) but the florals never bother me or seem terribly floral. It's more like glam androgyny than anything specifically feminine.

The only note I'm able to specifically pick out is the champagne and that dies out after an hour or so. There's kind of a glittery floral haze beyond that, and a slight warmth and masculinity from the musk, but nothing too specific or standout. I suppose I might see where people get hairspray or cigarettes, but I don't get anything literal there myself. It's certainly like a party fragrance, and not subdued or put together. In terms of Bowie songs, I get Rebel, Rebel more than Ziggy.

Mainly, I'm just happy to have discovered something that's gorgeous and feminine, but still a little on the masculine side underneath. I could easily imagine a man wearing this (and boy howdy, would I be all over that).

Recently snagged a '05 bottle of this off eBay!

It does have a fascinating hair spray tinge at first application, but it mellows into a lovely oriental blend; juicy but spicy. I get a lot of tuberose and sandalwood. It's fairly simple, and not that unique.. but I love the idea and I'm glad to have a bottle :D

Stardust 2006:

I was initially drawn to this because of the name Stardust and the description..."This scent reflects the futurism, self-indulgence and excess of the Glitter 70's". It's probably the most perfume-y BPAL I've smelled, because it reminds me of my mom's perfumes from the 70's. There's a comforting powderiness and I can definitely pick out the white musk, tuberose, and sandalwood notes. I'm getting a little Fracas vibe from this, which is great. I would wear this out whenever I get around to feeling like a Dancing Queen. :princess:

2005 version - I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, given that I've been madly hunting down as much as I can get my hands on...

In the bottle, it really is pure hairspray. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wet, the hairspray note is still evident, but the ylang ylang is the primary note. It doesn't take long for the musk and champagne to peek out.

Dry, the hairspray is gone, and I'm left with a gorgeous crisp white floral, with the most amazing musk twined with it. The champagne note is fabulous too...it doesn't overpower, yet if I put my nose to my wrist, I almost expect to feel bubbles hitting me :)

I love this so much, and the two bottles I currently have aren't going to be enough...I'm going to need to track down more of this, because it's even better as it ages.

Not sure which version--someone frimped me a decant of this.

It smells like champagne and tuberose. Actually quite pretty, until the sandalwood comes into play. I'm allergic and my eyes started watering. But if sandalwood doesn't bother you, it might be worth a try.

2005 version:

Boy do I get the hairspray. That is pretty powerful for a bit and then it takes on a more floral spicy demeanor. It's nice, but nothing to write home about. Off to the sales pile.