Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Scorpio

Category: Celestials

Site Description:

none listed for zodiac inspired scents

Initial Impression:

Very sharp, spicy smell. Maybe with a hint of green. There's definitely some musk in here, but I'm not sure what else. I need to wear it to really get a feel. No sweet scents here, but I like it all the same.

After Wearing It:

Wow, this is dead on in it's Scorpio vibes. Goes on strong and heady: smoky, spicy and slightly musky with a sharp biting edge that's almost venomous in its quality. There's a slightly sweet tang lacing though this as well. It's overwhelming and dizzying yet empowering and sexy at the same time. After putting a bit too much on, I literally felt buzzed on the fumes. The scent mellows a bit (but only a bit) as time goes on, and a powdery undertone starts to show through. But nearly 10 hours after I put the oil on, it's still going strong, so it's the strongest BPAL oil I've tried yet. I'll be buying a bottle for when I feel the need to come off as more intimidating than usual.

Final Thoughts:

What a joy! I'm an astrology buff, so I was utterly delighted to have a scent for my sign, particularly one so well attuned to the energies of the Scorpio archetype. Score!

Scorpio is definitely not for someone who wants a light, airy scent. This is sweet incense, a touch of clove - which I usually despise, but not in this - musk, and wood. I'm wondering if the wood is rosewood, because it has such a warmth to it. Drydown is barely powdery, but in the context of powdered incense vs. a stick of the same. Scorpio has a fine, almost grainy sense about it - like dust motes in a beam of sunlight.

Have you ever been falling asleep, just barely conscious, and felt like your body was small and you were somehow giant, just tall and straight and majestic, but disconnected from it all? Or maybe had one of those moments where you've been sitting for so long it seems like your arm is tiny and in a different position than it's actually in? I don't know any other way to describe the aloof, disconnected feel I get out of Scorpio - and it also has a brutally focused determination about it that's indescribable.

If you're prone to headaches from strong scents, you should pass on this one. This is borderline for me, but I imagine I'll be wearing it regularly in spite of that.

My initial impression of this scent was definitely spicy....I could really smell cinnamon and then after it dried down it smelled a little woody but still very much cinnamon and also vanilla. I could also smell a sort of incense smell after the dry down.

This is one scent that it doesn't take much to achieve a really good fragrance. I have had it on all day and it still smells plenty strong but not too overpowering. I have worn this scent during the day because I just received my Imp's ears and I wanted to try this one first, however, I would definitely make this scent one of my evening choices - it's very mysterious and sexy!!

I -love- this scent, and I have to thank jj_j for decanting a bit for me to be able to try it. I'm now even more convinced that Beth is an absolute genious.

In the bottle: This one is a warm scent. Something like clove and spice, but it's kind of a warm amber as well. I can already tell I'm going to like this one.

Wet: vaniclion said it's smoky, and that's an apt description. I wore this for the first time tonight, and I'm loving it. It's warm .. odd for a water sign, but I think we're attracted to our opposites in many ways, and that certainly applies here.

Wearing: Definitely incense. A smoky, spicy scent that might be clove or cinnamon, but if it's either, both are very light. I think I catch amber in this one, and possibly vanilla. This is dead-on though for a 'Scorpio' feel. Very sensual and agressive, without being annoying or overpowering. This is the kind of scent that draws you in, makes you always want more.

I'll buy more of this. Probably at least a 10ml. Anytime I need to radiate the aura of a scorpio's sensual fire, the self assuredness of my sun sign, this will be my pick.

First Impresson: Uh-oh, this one's going to be soapy.

Second Impression: I imagined this scent was going to be warm and red, but it's green and sharp.

Final Analysis: It did turn soapy, as I suspected it would. Got this in a swap and just made arrangements to swap it out.

Initial Sniff: Mmmm... spicy! Cinnamon and clove in a warm incensey base.

Wearing: I think there must be amber and possibly a little sandalwood in this one. It is sexy and warm and sweetens up significantly as it dries. Excellent staying power as well.

Final Impressions: I got this one in a swap, intending to send it along to my Scorpio sister. Unfortunately she's out of luck, because this is all mine! There is absolutely nothing in my astrological chart that explains why this should work on me (in fact, my ascendant sign is Taurus, which I think is the opposite pole from Scorpio), but screw it. It works.

I really didn’t care for this one. In the vial and on me, it was a very strong, slightly bitter green scent – none of the spicyness that many of the other reviewers have smelled. I swapped this one to andrabell, as I really didn’t like it. However, I’m beginning to think it may have been mislabeled, as it smells nothing like what the other reviewers are describing.

Violets! I smell violets and something else, maybe cedarwood, or sandalwood. Oh but it's the violets that have captivated me. This scent is pungent, spicy, dark, musky and full of depth. As it's drying down it's becoming softer, more powdery. This scorpio is digging scorpio. :P

Scorpio smells poisonous to me—something about it buzzes. Like a Scorpio, this oil is biting, but subtly sweet; overwhelming, but aloof; green, but dark. Although I admire Beth’s ability to translate the essence of a sign into a scent, particularly this one, Scorpio does not appeal to me aesthetically. Pity, really, as I truly wanted an oil for my sign. What does this smell like on me? Original green Palmolive.

scorpio

at first: a lot of pine. maybe a bit of incense, too. very interesting.

on: wow. this is interesting. sweet, but with a lot of pine. very green. i really like this. it's very different.

1 hour later: hmmm...i can't really tell what this smells like anymore. i guess it just smells green.

2 hours later: still green, but more fresh with a bit of soapy sweetness peeking through. this is different from any of the other oils i've tried.

3 hours later: much, much sharper. all i can smell is flowers. i want the green back.

5 hours later: much lighter and softer. this will probably be one that needs to be reapplied every now and then. it still has that soapyness to it.

overall: this is really, really nice. i may treat myself to a 5ml eventually.

Scorpio:

Vial: Something strong, but creamy. It almost smells like Sacred Whore dashed with some bitched up Xiuhtecuhtli. Neat!

Wet: Wow. It's exotic, but somehow familiar. Notes? Uh, hell if I know, but it's lovely! And it does smell smiliar to a mild Sacred Whore/Xiuhtecuhtli cross.

Drying: HOLYGOD. This is DELICIOUS. It's creamy and spicey. It's completely bitchready, playfully sexy, and wholly and completely the smell of being a Scorpio. Damn, Beth. You are GOOD.

Now, I'm off to see if I'm still winning RHM's Scorpio auction!

I have good news and bad news on the BPAL front ...

The good news: I HAVE A NEW FAVORITE SCENT!!!!!!!!!!

The bad news: IT'S DISCONTINUED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, Scorpio, I hardly knew ye ... but I was lucky enough to be intrigued so by the notes that I did order a 5 ML so I am good for a little while anyway ... though no "official notes" were listed for this, the reviews mentioned words such as "spicy, green, musk, clove and cinnamon," all of which are notes in my favorite non-BPAL scent, Andiamo ... I am on the eternal search for a BPAL scent (or a few I can combine) to capture that essence so I ordered Scorpio even though I am a Libra ...

IN THE BOTTLE: To be honest, this didn't do much for me one way or the other in the bottle. I couldn't place any notes, and it didn't seem very strong. I wrote down "spicy, sweet, sultry."

Applied first time to wrists and crooks of arms but pretty sparingly.

WET: As soon as it met my skin, the love affair began with a wham. It had a bit of a Chanel No. 5 vibe in terms of sheer sultry power but more sweetly spicy than floral. For the first few minutes there was a strong sense of something herbal in a backyardy way (for me, that means it smelled like one of the herbs my husband grows for cooking) but that dissipated upon drydown.

EARLY DRYDOWN: Just an absolutely divine cinnamony spicy sexy sweet scent. I could not stop sniffing my arms and wrists. My clothes smell delicious. It has a little bit of Aries in it and a little bit of Veil, my two favorite BPAL scents previously.

I applied some more before going out to Thanksgiving dinner, adding some cleavage scent as well ... and the same delicious response on my body. But one thing I had noticed was that the one note I didn't smell at all was the cloves ... until ...

LATE DRYDOWN: I'm lying in bed after a long evening/night of in-laws. My arm is thrown over my face and suddenly, unbidden and unexpectedly, I get a major scent of CLOVE CIGARETTES, transporting me back to my teens. So the clove note for me was the very very endgame base note. A perfect ending to my evening.

I am so in love with this scent ... I will be careful and sparing with my precious bottle of it ...

This is very very peppery. It has a tinge of juicy sweetness like plum or a deep berry smell, but it's very faint and the overall feeling of the blend is fairly dry. On the dry-down I get a hint of floral but it is hanging in the background behind the pepper.

As a Scorpio I think it is fitting. I was expecting something a bit more incense spicey and less pepper spice, but it still smells beautiful.

Scorpio

Sharp and green. Really green. I smell something piney and something like violets. It makes me think of a thick forest. Towering trees (cedars?), green ferns, green moss. The light, when you can see it filtering through the trees, is very white. This dries down into a less sharp, violetty scent. It has a kind of greenhouse scent, though I'm not sure how to really describe that. Enigmatic, it is. Perfect for a Scorpio. :P

Reminds me a bit of Sacred Whore of Babylon, which I have, so that is nice since this one is discontinued.

Scorpio is my moon sign and I often feel more Scorpio than Leo. I like the night and winter, I don't like summer and the day...I am not the cheerleader type, I am more the quiet mysterious type.

That said, this is thick, heady and mysterious. Like Sacred Whore, it seems to have a delightful sultry flower base with a little spiciness.

I like it. I will trade the imp because I believe the discontinued imps should be sampled by a lot of people.

hmmm i could smell the violets before i even opened the imp i kept sniffing around looking for something i would expect violets to be in

in the vial: man that is like a single not violet

wet there is a metalic twang i usually only get from jasmine scents so i am guessing violet and possibly a touch of jasmine, altho the violet is the prominent note on me

as it dries the metal like note goes away and it is a strong violet w/ a tiny smidge of i think cloves? or carnation.

i love violets...i know yall have heard it before but man i love em

In bottle: This is rather difficult to describe. It is definitely a spicy blend, but it is a light spicy. How unusual; I'm used to anything with spice or incense being extremely powerful and strong.

On me: Smells like dragon's blood resin - not very strongly, but a bit. Or perhaps that is an amber note? It's sweet and definitely red, although normally not a scent I would describe as such. There's almost some floral in here, which surprises me - most people seem to be getting more spice out of it. While the spiciness is definitely there, it's far from the dominant note. It suits Scorpios perfectly; shame it's discontinued.

Scorpio:

Originated from: Celestials Circular Swap

Wet: This is a baffling scent.. I can't tell if that's honey or sweet clove I smell at first.. maybe a hint of some sort of fruit? Also, given that Scorpio is a water sign, I get a hint of something water-like in the background. This is a very.. moist, lush scent.

Drydown: Dry, this scent is a milder version of how it smelled wet, if not a tad soapy.

Longterm wear: Scorpio is a nice scent, but it's not for me.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Spicy.

Wet: Incensy. This is well-blended. I can't pick out anything else.

Drydown: Still that smoky incense. Some amber in the background, I think. It also has a vague watery quality to it, because it's translucent in my skin. That's usually a tip-off for me.

Final thoughts: I wasn't sure what to expect with Scorpio, but I think I like it. I don't think it's something I would wear everyday but every now and again would work, I'd say.

Origins - part of a discontinued imp pack bought off of eBay from the lab.

Preconceived Notions -BPAL does such a good job with Scorpio-like scents (such as Sin, Red Devil, Debacuhery and Queen of Spades) that, being a double Scorpio myself, I HAD to try their interpretation of Scorpio. I basically bought the imp pack just to try this scent, although the fact that most of the others in this imp paclk sounded appealing to me didn't hurt.

Wet - Spicy, sweet and a little bit woody.

Dry - cloves, cinnamon, musk and a wood element, not cedar, something else. This reminds me of Silk Road, only sexier. This is the silken tent off of the marketplace where you can buy anything if the price is right.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

ETA - I pulled out my imp of this to retest it, since the lab has a bottle up on eBay now. Wet, it stills smells of me. I love how this smells wet! But dry, I was getting a scent that reminds me of civet, except I usually like civet. But it was the cat pee smell I here people talk about when they describe civet. Reading over the reviews, I realize it's not civet all all (whew!) but my nemesis, violet! LOL, violets smell like cat pee to me! Anyway, I am sadly going to have to revise my ranking of this from a 5 to a 3, because those violets on dry down seriously affect my enjoyment of this.

Edited by wickedgoddess

It's probably worth noting that I'm a Scorpio. :P

I would have gotten this while it was available but since so many of the reviews mentioned spiciness I didn't, as I don't often care for spicy scents (except Silk Road, as it turns out) and have bad skin reactions to some of them. Now that I have sampled some of this courtesy of the Celestial swap I am very upset that I didn't snatch some up sooner!

This is a very, very familiar scent. What it is?....Violet! I get a lot of violet and a touch of mint, rather like the Choward's Violet Mints that I love so much (chalky, square little breath mints). This is also what happens when I wear myrrh so it could actually be a very sneaky myrrh. There's a touch of something spicy underneath, maybe clove. I don't get the tingle on my skin that means cinnamon, but it could be in there very light. Actually, since myrrh comes across as a spicy violet on me, there's some more evidence for my theory.

But I mainly get a deep, strong violet. The best violet I have ever smelled from the lab, as most violet seems to turn to immediate soapy powder on me. I really wonder what is in this. Well, I will put my guess in at some kind of myrrh, but if not, then violets, mint and clove. :D

Whatever it is, this screams Scorpio to me -- I wish I had picked up a 10 ml. :D The drydown reminds me a little of my beloved Dance of Death though so I might be able to live without tracking down a bottle...but it will be a life of constant longing!

First impression: light, sweet, spicy, and a hint of sharp. Nice.

10 min later: a hint of muskiness is developing. Very sexy scent!

Later: and the sweetness is coming out a bit more now. It reminds me a lot of La Petit Mort & O, but it's somehow lighter, less cloying. (And I *love* LPM & O).

Scorpio: October 23 - November 21

From the Celestial Swap.

This one didn't even have a real scent for me. It was a very light dishsoap/baby powder for maybe an hour, then nothing at all. Just a smell like I'd washed my wrist clean was left. I would expect more from a sign as volatile as Scorpio, but I have never mixed well with the sign before, so maybe this is appropriate.

Curiously enough, my skin didn't exude any spices, ambers, woods, or resins with Scorpio. Instead, I have a fresh and almost minty scent emanating from my testing wrist.

Reviewing the Celestials (both the planetary and the zodiac lines) has made me wish I was more aware of the connotations and characteristics of the various symbols. I'd like to know why "this makes sense!" as so many people have said. I can get a feeling for the energy and intent behind the blends, but I'd love have a little concrete information to tell me why it feels right, instead of just saying that it does.

Beth's oils are always an education for me! I've researched Norse legends and Romantic poetry, Sephirot and Tarot meanings, and I'm not done yet. I can't think of the last time I used my nose and my brain in conjunction- better yet, I can't think of a single instance where another beauty product inspired me to go running to my bookshelves and my library to better understand its background.

I am completely in awe of these beautiful oils and the thought and effort that their creator puts into them.

I'm a scorpio so I am very glad I have a bottle of this in my possession. Initially it is very floral on me, violet I believe, my skin takes violet and really amplifies it quite a bit. After 10 minutes or so the violet calms down enough to allow a little bit of smokiness through, and then it starts developing a mild incense smell. It is very pretty if I can get through the initial 10 minutes. I love the smoky wood smell that develops later on.