Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Blood Moon 2005

... The feral scent of the heat of the chase, deep woods, undulating musks, brushed by forest herbs, crushed grains, and touched by blood-dimmed lunar oils.

Whatever the blood note is that Beth uses I love it. This is the only Lunacy I have, no idea why I didn't buy it at the time though. Sweet, herbal and I'm not sure if it's musk but it's a great combination - very complimentary. I just need to make sure I don't slather as it's quite a potent one.

In the bottle: smells like a more masculine version of Smut. must be all that musk. I also get wafts of sandalwood and vanilla

on me: yup! musk! after a few moments the vanilla and sandalwood come out to play. and something else, some spices and something sharper....a tiny dash of civet perhaps? kinda like if smut and mercury had an orgy w/snake oil and torture king and satyr dropped in for a bit.....yeah, anyway....

rating: 8 out of 10. i like it a lot, and i can see myself wearing this with a lot black clothing and blood red lipstick, to go to a club or something, or for a naughty-sexy feel. Definately a reserve-for-special-occasions scent and not an everyday. but i am glad i have a bottle of it. You know, just in case i decide to become a vampire dominatrix in the future or something.

This is so lovely (and I’m so glad it doesn’t contain dragon’s blood)! The sweet grains (like in Dana O’Shee) are noticeable, combined with a soft, powdery sort of cinnamon (not sharp or overly spicy at all) and warm, enveloping musk. After it dries, the sandalwood note makes itself felt, adding a further layer of comfort and relaxation. Gorgeous – wish I’d ordered a bottle!

Blood Moon is very warm, dark, deep and heavy. At first application I get mostly musk, something sweet, and a really off-putting scent beneath it all that doesn't agree with my nose.

After a few minutes the vanilla becomes noticeable, the musk settles and gets lovely, a little cinnamon comes out and everything mellows a little. The scent that makes me nauseous is still there, though not as dominant and cloying as before.

I tried this three times by now, and every time I think I have to swap it away because of the weird note it has, but then I smell it again and am not sure about it. Somehow it's very appealing at the same time. This is nothing for every-day wear.. all I know is that I have to be in the mood to wear something heavy and complex like this, for example it's nothing I could wear out to dinner- a whiff of this while I have a full stomach makes me feel a sickness at the back of my throat.

Make sure to apply this very lightly, it has a strong throw!

This shout out goes to Aredhel for selling me her bottle of this. :P

In the bottle: Cinnamon (but not that fake craft store cinnamon broom smell that you see every October) and something creamy underneath?

Wet: cinnamon and that creaminess and grains.

Dry down: cinnamon and smoke with creaminess with grains. Not really getting vanilla, but I wonder if it is what is giving the creamy, graininess feel to this. I love this.

30 minutes: smokey cinnamon and creamines with something soft under it all, maybe the lunar oils? I am in love! I hope Beth brings this back, I will buy two bottles.

Conclusion: This reminds me of my beloved Spanked (which I wish Beth would make a catalogue scent). I love this so much I am going to cry because I came too late to BPAL to get several of these. This is in my top ten, if not my number one. Why oh why do I have to love the dicontinued ones???? :D I will cherish my bottle.

Rating on my skin, this is a 5+.

Edited by atropos

Straight off, I thought this smelled like Silk Road with cinnamon. Sadly, it smells like the note or combination in Silk Road that I didn't like.

The cinnamon came out nice and strong, but not strong enough to mask the Silk Road scent. I wish I knew what that was so I could stay away from it in the future. It might be a grain because it smells kind of bread-like. :P

I love this scent so, so much. I am unhappy that I only have one little imp of it :P

In the bottle: I get a very distinct blood scent, metallic and musky.

On the skin: For some reason, on me the scent vanishes into my skin immediately. Only after a few minutes does the scent begin to warm up. Feral, musky and dead sexy. I did have one incident where the oil mixed with sweat and burned my skin - I'm guessing that was the cinnamon?

Drying down: It dries down into a glorious musk. It's very long lasting on me too. I wore it out one night, and it was still on my skin the next day.

I want to hoard all the Blood Moon I can find.

Reposting:

First sniff: I love dragon’s blood. I love it even more when there’s a healthy helping of musk to ground it and tone down the sweetness. And so I love Blood Moon. What I smell in the bottle: dragon’s blood, happy warm furry musk, and sweet spice, maybe cinnamon and clove. It’s a deep, dark, warm scent.

Wearing: Deepest red and dark spice. It clings very close – I can’t smell anything unless I put nose to wrist, which I kept doing all night.

Wow, I'm an idiot. This is one I kept sniffing in the imp, thinking "Ick" and never actually applying. I thought I had, but after actually testing the imp that had been languishing in the box for MONTHS, I realize I hadn't actually skin tested. Stoooopid.

Anyway, this is amazing on skin. It reminds me a lot of Dragon's Milk- very sweet, very dragon's blood, very yummy. Muskier and a little less sweet than the Milk, it's delicious all by itself. I love! The lunar oils are not too strong in this, the blood is by far more potent. The musk is beautiful in this one.

For me, 4 out of 5.

Blood Moon

in bottle: musk

wet: musk and unidentified herbs

dry: musk and herbs with a faint hint of dry wood

verdict: I like this, but it's not a "wow" and I don't see myself wearing it very often...I may decant out a bit of my bottle for swapping purposes

This is exactly what is says: blood moon. It has the metallic sharpness of actual blood, with an odd sweetness. This made me think of blood mixed with syrup (candy loving vampires, perhaps?) or macaroon biscuits dipped in blood. Incredibly evocative and impressive but seriously icky and off-putting to me.

Blood Moon is woody and musky but the crushed grains were apparently press-ganged into a beer vat and didn't make it into my little blue bottle. The throw is very potent, but the scent goes shaving-soapy on me.

It brings up an image of Mr. Farmer barbering an animal before "harvesting" it.

After about four hours, I realize why the Mad Barber is hanging out in my refrigerator as opposed to have being swapped off to a more loving home. All the shaving soap has been washed off leaving a rich, somewhat tart, spicy scent reminiscent of honey (but bring your own grain). Blood Moon is a really late bloomer but worth it in the end.

Edited by themerrybaker

Bottle: woods under spices, esp. cinnamon

Wet: woods stronger, I detect sandalwood. and a hint of green behind the spice.

Dry: warm bursts of musk under the woody/spiciness. the green hasn't made it beyond a teasing hint. there is a sweetness, might be vanilla or maybe there is dragon's blood resin behind the spices.

Later: I think there is tonka here, and the mulling spices have married the musks for a really warm, mellow, and sexy feel. This has all of the aspects of Tintagel I liked, but I'm wearing it much better and the musk makes it simply delicious. Brava!

In the bottle, this is a blend of musks and dragon's blood resin that grab your throat and squeeze tightly while a heady mix of herbs and grains swim around your sinuses, leaving you feeling drunk. It's dazzling, red amber with spices pulling you deep into a trance. On my skin, the musks leap to the forefront and broadcast their presence with bold certainty in their power. Behind the musks lays a tangible web of confusion as the herbs and woods and grains mix to remind me of a summer night in a meadow surrounded by old woods. The dragon's blood is sticky and I can taste it, this is a sexual scent, dominant and possessive and absolutely giddy with its own power. At once alarmingly overpowering and delightfully exotic, with just enough of a relatively understood undertone to make it pleasant and even companionable. After the initial heat of contact with my skin and the flush of warming flavor, the scent cools down - both in strength and overtone; shifting to a peppery smoke, like a fire in the woods, the herbs singed on the outside of the fresh kill roasting over those flames. I want to lick this scent, to taste the wildness of it, because it doesn't unravel so much as shift into a different focus so you can see the next layer beneath it. A maze of different after images with each breath of it.

I wouldn't dare dab this scent on before leaving the house, the scent of it is tangibly arousal and desire with enough wildness to it to seem like a challenge, a vixen's scent if ever I encountered one. And yet, the come hither of it, the absolute flirtation of the blend is in a very strange way endearing. Smelling this is like drinking whisky warmed by the afternoon sun, not hot - not yet - but heated, sweet and lazy and strong. Not quite bitter and not quite sweet, woods and grains and animal all bound together in this sunset-amber honey.

In the imp: whoa, musk and sandalwood and sharp herbs. This is *sultry*.

On me, wet: musk and cinnamon and sort of an creamy oatmealy tang - ah, grains, okay - that's holding the cinnamon back from being crazy. This is the sexiest porridge smell ever. It's also the only time I've ever had a BPAL scent *sting* on my wrist.

On me, dry: I am sticking with the 'sexy porridge' description here. In a big sandalwood bowl. Comforting and sexy and warm and spicy and yum. It's still stinging my wrist a bit, but no rash.

Verdict: Man. This smells *good*. If it works on the SO then I will sneak it onto him - but even if it doesn't I am keeping the imp and using it on, uh, some thick-skinned and nerve-free part of my body. Maybe my knees.

Edited by storme

Blood moon is dark, and deep.. but it also is sweet. Quite sweet in a musky sweet kind of way. And there definitely is a soft, powdery cinnamon in it. Only after it dries does the sandalwood come out. But it's not drastic. I really do like Blood moon, it's one of my favorite Lunacies to date.

Blood Moon - I tend to like Dragon’s Blood, and I was hoping this would be predominantly Dragon’s Blood. Unfortunately, while I smell the dragon’s blood, the musk, grains, and herbs mix with it in a way that I find quite unpleasant. It doesn’t have much throw, although the staying power is phenomenal – as Dragon’s Blood usually is on me. I’ll be moving this on to someone else, hopefully soon!

First off, there is a spice. Cinnamon perhaps? It isn't very strong but it is there. And the musk! And sandalwood! There is also a sweetness to this that plays very nicely with the other ingredients. Blood Moon is very incensy on my skin. The grains only appear after this has been on my skin for 30 minutes or so. Blood Moon is a very rich oil once the spice wears down a bit. I am in love!

on first sniff.... i didn't like this at all. so... i've let it sit.

today's the day!

wet on skin: all i really get is the usual lunar base smell... with a bit of an extra kick. somewhere between good cinnamon and red hots.

dry: this is Smut without the sugar, and with a good cinnamon broom nearby.

i *heart* teh Smut...and i like this, too.

very faint, though.... i basically hafta smush my nose against my arm to really smell it.

ADDED 11/12/07:

red musk and cinnamon potpourri.

*siGh*

this one's going to a more loving home.

This was pretty much the same on me through all stages.

Wet: Cinnamon (the spice)

drydown: Cinnamon with maybe a touch of sandalwood

Dry: Still cinnamon

not that I dislike cinnamon but that was pretty much all I got out of it. Really wanted the tonka and musks that some of the others got.

I actually got this quite a while ago, in a swap, and while I didn't get around to writing a review at the time, I remember that it struck me as too floral -- the lunar oils that turn up in many of the Lunacies tend to disproportionately be high, sweet florals, of the kind my skin loves to amp beyond all reason. Kettu, however, liked it just fine, so it went into her collection rather than mine.

But recently I found myself thinking about it again, for some reason, and wanting to give it another try. So today I did. And I am finding that I like it much better this time around. I don't know if it's the extra aging, seasonal changes, variations in skin chemistry, or what, but it seems different now.

It's more strongly reminiscent of Red Phoenix this time -- rich and spicy-sweet -- and that is a Very Good Thing, since Red Phoenix is my all-time favourite LE by a considerable margin. It's not identical -- a bit lighter, sweeter, less incensey and more woodsy, and with a slight floral edge, but still, the similarity is there. It's a bit like a cross between RP and Frumious Bandersnatch, with a touch of... something else, not sure what. Some kind of sweet, intoxicating, musky floral -- maybe Gypsy Queen?

The only real down side is that it seems to fade fairly quickly -- something I don't recall it doing the first time around, when I did not like it, ironically enough.

Anyway: I am finding myself quite enjoying it now. It will not stop me from snapping up a possibly excessive number of bottles of Red Phoenix should that one ever come back, but it's nice to have around as an alternative in the meantime.

Grade: A-

Oh my, wood and musk and incense notes. Some of my favorite things to smell are in this little bottle. I love this moon. It is fragrant and dusky and I detect something that smells a bit like leather. If there is any dragon's blood in this blend, then the floral notes are being counteracted by the wood and musk because my chemistry is not amping up the florals as usual. This is incredibly sexy and feral. Good heavens, I'm getting excited just smelling my wrist!

In the bottle: Goddamn why do I only have one bottle of this? This smells almost exactly like the oil I made at the aphrodesiac class, but with the lunar oils. Cinnamon, red musk, red sandalwood, I love it! I want to just keep sniffing it.

First on: *drool* The cinnamon isn't as prominant as it is in the bottle, and the musk & sandalwood come out more. There's a sweetness to it as if (appropriately) an imp of Blood was poured into the mix.

Drydown: Must. Have. Another. Bottle. The cinnamon is a bit dulled, the musk and sweetness are playing with the lunar oils to create a perfect blend.

Overall: Love love love!

Wow, this is different.

Wet: metals and blood and lavendar and the lunacy base.

Dry: metal with...cinnamon? almond? heck if I know. Oh, is there red musk in this? Cuz we do not get along...

Overall: I was in doubt over whether or not to order this, because I hate the smell of metal, and I figured there'd be a lot of metal in this. I think perhaps a hint of Dragon's Blood Resin too? Anyway, the metal bothers me too much, so I'm afraid this is another Moon that just doesn't work on me.

Oro

Edited by Orodemniades

Got my hands on this thru LJ! Good goggly moggly! It's teh Smut light, or maybe Smut's cousin. The one that went to bible school but secretly snuck out the window at night to swipe the family convertible and go driving too fast down the back roads. It's sweet but not exactly innocent, coy without being cloying. Red musk and sweet tobacco under sugar top note, it doesn't stomp all over you with cinnamon, more of a DAMN you smell good effect.

One of my all time favorites, right up there with Spanked and Snowblind.

bonus points for not going all funky on me during my moon

:P