Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ishtar

BPAL Patchouli - there's nothing else like it

Dirty/earthy patchouli blends that I can think of:

Banshee Beat

Ecstasy of True love is kind of a sister blend to Depraved, to my nose, although it's not as dirty

Bat of Wealth

Vixen (probably the dirtiest patchouli I can think of)

I'm trying to get my mom into BPAL since she's apparently big on scents and said she's been looking for a good patchouli/patchouli-based scent for a while now. I figured I'd ask here since there have been a lot of people trying a lot of scents in here that could give me some good feedback (especially for scents that don't list any/some notes on their page).

She likes more "earthy" scents but is open to anything just so long as it does not have any gardenia at all because she has very bad reactions to gardenia. This is where I'd very much appreciate help from better noses and minds than mine when it comes to this :)

My aunt was just looking for a good patchouli scent; I gave her some imps I had of Greed (patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss) and The Coiled Serpent (notes not listed - it's a very dry patchouli, definitely earthy and pretty one-note) and she ended up loving them both. Greed is a bit "wetter" to me, if that makes sense, and is rounded out and sweetened more by the other notes, where TCS is just a straight-up patchouli in the desert kind of smell (I liked it).

If she wants to try something different, you might want to hunt down Banshee Beat (patchouli, vanilla, and hemp). It has all the earthiness of patchouli but is sweetened up by the vanilla. It's a comforting and yet sultry kind of mix.

Hmm.. I really love Lucy, Kissed - diabolical voluptuousness, a siren song from the grave: juniper and yew brushing against blackened violets and funeral roses, red musk and hot blood, veined white marble and icy, brittle musk, all pulsing with the sinister, hypnotic scent of patchouli, amber, oude, and cubeb - it was an LE from the Trading Post back in '09, so it's a little harder to find, but if you think your Mom would like that sort of thing.. it really is one of the most impressive patchouli blends I've found in BPAL - the patch is definitely there, and it's beautifully deep and earthy, but all those other notes just take it to a whole new level (don't mind the violet or rose - I'm not into florals at all, and this isn't a 'floral' blend). I would definitely recommend hunting down a decant to try :thumbsup:

There's been some pretty awesome LE blends starring patchouli over the years (Panther Moon is one that comes to mind) but chasing them down can be tricky.. so here's some that I like in the GC (you'll notice a theme here as to how I like my patchouli :) but really these aren't all as evil as they sound!):

Vixen - lascivious, flirtatious, and vampy as hell. A true heartbreaker’s perfume. The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

Sin - thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

Depraved - a salacious, lecherous, leering scent - dirty and dark, slapped with a wet sweetness. Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot.

Goblin - dab a bit behind each ear, and you'll be instantly inspired to alter street signs, shake fruit from your neighbor's trees, and hide your roommate's car keys. Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

Desire - the overwhelming agony of passion crystallized into a singularly dark and magnetic blend: bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

And of course my absolute favourite.. Banshee Beat, which you really should try and get hold of because it's just drop-dead gorgeous.

Here's a tip - if you want to find blends with a specific note in them.. use the Advanced Search function - type in your note (eg 'patchouli') in the search box, leave the 'Match' option set to 'any words' (don't check the 'Search Titles Only' box), leave the author and date fields blanks then in the next 'section' line - check the button for 'Forums', then in the box next to 'Find in forum' just scroll down the list until you find 'Reviews' - highlight that, and then just underneath there where it says 'Display results' - check the button for 'As posts'. Click the SEARCH button down the bottom, and it will now bring up every post in the Reviews topic that mentions patchouli.

Oh.. and I personally find that BPAL's various patchouli notes definitely benefit from a bit of aging, so if you get some that don't smell too great when they're brand-new fresh.. don't give up - put them aside for a little bit and see if they mellow out.

Hope that helps!

Sin is pretty amazing. I also love Clemence but you cannot buy her right now as the Carnival is down, unless someone is selling some.

Oh, and OMGosh, Lust. I lust for Lust.

Lust and Sin are from Sin and Salvation.

Edited by stellamaris

Okay. We are the same person. :eek: I'm putting together a patchouli-themed set for my mother for Christmas in hopes of enabling her.

I have to echo sunshinedaisybliss - BANSHEE BEAT. It's my favorite blend, and when my mom smelled one of my bottles the last time she visited, she immediately said, "I want this!" I have three bottles, but she'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands if she wants them. :rofl: But yeah, if you can hunt some down, it's a must-have for any patchouli lover.

Otherwise, here's a list of GCs I've put together for ideas. This isn't every GC with patchouli, as I left out the ones I knew she wouldn't like due to other notes (mainly vetiver and aquatics) and ones that had tons of notes since I want the patchouli to be noticeable if not prominent.

- Anne Bonny: A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense.

- Aureus: True, perfect golden light, refined into an incomparably glorious scent.

- Coiled Serpent, The: (no description, reviews mention patchouli)

- Depraved: Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot.

- Desire: Bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

- Emma: Vanilla bourbon, tea rose, jasmine, pink pepper, and patchouli.

- Goblin: Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

- Greed: Patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss.

- Hetairae: Golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang.

- Iambe: Sudanese amber, patchouli, rose, gardenia, gladiola and white tea.

- Imp: White peach, amber, golden musk and patchouli.

- Lust: Red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

- Masquerade: Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.

- Namaste: Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.

- Night-Raven, The: Indigo musk, wild plum, rose geranium, benzoin, night-blooming jasmine, and patchouli

- Rakshasa: Sandalwood with rose and patchouli.

- Sin: Amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

- Snake Oil: Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

- Tweedledum: Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

- Vixen: The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

- Wanton: Palmarosa, red sandalwood, attar of rose, patchouli.

Goblin is wonderful patchouli! Also Mme. Moriarty from the Carnival has a great patchouli, but really in the general catalog (i.e., impable) - Goblin is my favorite!

Reviews are here.

ETA; my other favorite is Banshee Beat, discontinued but you can still find it on the sale pages!

Edited by ltrittipoe

Wow, thanks for the many responses :D

The Coiled Serpent and Banshee Beat apparently will get special mention it seems... though it looks as though Urban Outfitters is out of Banshee Beat (and nearly any reference to BPAL at all). Is it still in production? ETA: Whoops, ltrittipoe ninja'd in there. That's unfortunate that Banshee Beat is gone. I'll have a look around for it I guess, but if I do find some for her I'll have to let her know it might not be easy to find more of later.

Here's a tip - if you want to find blends with a specific note in them.. use the Advanced Search function - type in your note (eg 'patchouli') in the search box, leave the 'Match' option set to 'any words' (don't check the 'Search Titles Only' box), leave the author and date fields blanks then in the next 'section' line - check the button for 'Forums', then in the box next to 'Find in forum' just scroll down the list until you find 'Reviews' - highlight that, and then just underneath there where it says 'Display results' - check the button for 'As posts'. Click the SEARCH button down the bottom, and it will now bring up every post in the Reviews topic that mentions patchouli.

Oh.. and I personally find that BPAL's various patchouli notes definitely benefit from a bit of aging, so if you get some that don't smell too great when they're brand-new fresh.. don't give up - put them aside for a little bit and see if they mellow out.

Hope that helps!

It does :) I'll have to go digging around later and see what that can turn up as well.

Okay. We are the same person. :eek: I'm putting together a patchouli-themed set for my mother for Christmas in hopes of enabling her.

Ahahahaha, so it would seem! (Thanks again by the way for the comments on woodsy scents for my big imp order!) And thanks for the big list-o-scents, though I'll have to cut out Iambe when passing it along to my mother due to the gardenia, since I don't want to make her ill :P

Edited by maoric

I'm also down for Banshee Beat--just lucked out and got some from another forumite and I LOVES it!! Vanilla and Patchouli, really I can't go wrong there...Clemence, my goodness, is all patchouli & warm spices but on me the spices are a bit stronger than the patchouli (not that I don't love it anyway ;) )

I second (third?) Tweedledum--it is a lovely light sort of patchouli blend, on me it's more fresh and less earthy. It is GC (Mad Tea Party).

My fav earthy patchouli is The Grave Pig (notes listed: fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli); reviews are here. It is OMG earthy sweet spicy patchouli and sooooo gorgeous!! I really don't think I can say how much I love this one AND it's GC (in the Marchen category, scroll down under The Elfin Hill)! :wub2: When I wear this, I cannot. Stop. Sniffing. Myself!!

Edited by rivercitylizzy

Late to the party, but since I'm a patchouli fiend, I figured I'd add on!

I definitely second/third/nth the recommendations for The Coiled Serpent (a beautiful dry patch, probably with some woods and a hint of incense), Goblin (before Goblin, I didn't know patch and coconut went so well together!), Depraved (patch and apricot sound incongruous, but really compliment each other) and Anne Bonny (my go-to patch scent and by far my most-worn GC blend. The patchouli is not harsh at all, thanks to the frankincense - and who doesn't want to smell like a female pirate?).

Another scent you can look for is Luperci. This is an LE from the Lupercalia (Valentine's Day) update, but it has been available every year since 2006 except 2009, so it's not a terribly rare LE. Its patchouli is definitely detectable, but not hippie-ish - in fact, the other notes lend it a sensuality that's pretty hard to miss. This is the scent description:

This scent is for the Luperci, the Chosen of Faunus, the Brothers of the Wolf: raw, down and dirty patchouli, Gurjam balsam, and essence of Sampson Root sweetened with the heightened sexuality of beeswax, virile juniper, oakmoss, ambrette seed over honey and East African musk.

Also late to the party, but had to put in a shout for La Mano del Destino, not impable but still available, and GORgeous!!! Goes on all patchouli, but in about 20 minutes, all the other notes come out to play. :wub2:

I second, or third, or whatever, Banshee Beat. You can do a search on the For Sale forum here (that's how I found mine). It's patchouli, but rounded and sweetened by hemp and vanilla. Not floral at all, but pretty and kind of sexy and very long-lasting. If your mum likes patchouli, she will probabaly also like hemp. Sin is another favorite of mine. Snake Oil is a classic, and it's pretty hard to go wrong with that one. Plus, it's GC and you can even get it on Amazon (handy to know if you are trying to use up points or a gift certificate there.)

I've tried a few that were straight up patchouli (and that's not my thing, really - too heavy and "bitter" for me): Umbra and Devil's Claw, for two. Depraved was patchouli and apricot.

Goblin is wonderful patchouli! Also Mme. Moriarty from the Carnival has a great patchouli, but really in the general catalog (i.e., impable) - Goblin is my favorite!

Reviews are here.

ETA; my other favorite is Banshee Beat, discontinued but you can still find it on the sale pages!

Ok...I too am in love with Banshee Beat. Been doing research all night looking for a GC scent that is most like it. What I love is the sweet vanilla with the light patchoulli and hemp in the background. Which of all the recs you guys gave is most like that? I hated the patchoulli in #occupywallstreet it was tooo strong. Please advise! Thanks :wub:

Hi, my name is Lori and I'm a Patchaholic. :eek:

I've loved patchouli since I was in 8th grade and still have a bottle of patchouli oil that I bought way back then. I also bought a bottle of sandalwood at the same time and still have that too.

My fave bpal patch scents are Solitary and Abhorred, Marianne, Sentimental Initiation, Samhain 06 and 04, and Loviatar. All of these are HEAVY on the patch.

I also love Voodoo, Fenris Wolf and Imp, though they are lighter on the patch.

Edited by Cattastroficka

So I love patchouli on other people, but less so on me because I amp it to insanity. The one bpal blend I have with patch is Voyeuristic Monkey, where the honey is also amped so I can wear it, but it is still a little too roughly bright for me so I don't wear it that often.

But today I slathered some SN dandelion on top of my monkey (heh, heh) and OMG. The patch is a perfect base for the creamy milky super green floral of the dandelion. So now I want to know, are there other creamy floral blends with patchouli? And no roses please.

Thank you!

Tzi

I'm giving this old thread a bump hoping for some new recommendations.

It appears my skin chemistry is changing, because for years patchouli was death on my skin, but now I'm surprised to find that I'm liking a number of blends with patchouli in it (Ecstatic Revelry, Midnight Kiss, Summer Lace...), so I'm hoping for some new recommendations. :wub2:

Edited by Arylkin

I am dying to try Greed, myself. Pach is very hit and miss for me, even in Beth's capable hands, so I eagerly await any testing!

OK-WHITE PATCHOULI, ya'll! The new Lilith new blend, Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending is the first BPAL I know of to contain it,and I cannot WAIT to smell it!!!! Does anyone know of another?

The first time I smelled white patchouli was as the Tom Ford, White Patchouli. I've also smelled (and used up a bottle of) Maggie's Pharm'sWhite Patchouli oil.

From the Now Smell This article linked above:

"* Per Tom Ford, “We used patchouli orpur, which takes out some of the darker, smoky notes of patchouli”. (Women's Wear Daily, 6/20/2008). As near as I can tell, the word “orpur” is of fairly recent coinage. It seems to refer to ingredients that are of natural origin, but that have been molecularly modified, and according to W Magazine, the word is derived from “origin” + “purity”."

In both the cases I've smelled it, it's quite fresh yet exotic: a blend of "clean" pachouli (that seems to be the base of the new orientals, a la Coco Mademoiselle), soft wood, a slight incense note, and white flowers, creamy, but with a distinctive green note. I've gotton numerous complements when I wear them, and I appreciate its "summer oriental" quality.

I wonder what the BPAL White Patchouli note will smell like!!! (((grabby hands!))) Who else is with me?!

Edited by lookingglass

OK-WHITE PATCHOULI, ya'll! The new Lilith new blend, Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending is the first BPAL I know of to contain it,and I cannot WAIT to smell it!!!! Does anyone know of another?

The first time I smelled white patchouli was as the Tom Ford, White Patchouli. I've also smelled (and used up a bottle of) Maggie's Pharm'sWhite Patchouli oil.

From the Now Smell This article linked above:

"* Per Tom Ford, “We used patchouli orpur, which takes out some of the darker, smoky notes of patchouli”. (Women's Wear Daily, 6/20/2008). As near as I can tell, the word “orpur” is of fairly recent coinage. It seems to refer to ingredients that are of natural origin, but that have been molecularly modified, and according to W Magazine, the word is derived from “origin” + “purity”."

In both the cases I've smelled it, it's quite fresh yet exotic: a blend of "clean" pachouli (that seems to be the base of the new orientals, a la Coco Mademoiselle), soft wood, a slight incense note, and white flowers, creamy, but with a distinctive green note. I've gotton numerous complements when I wear them, and I appreciate its "summer oriental" quality.

I wonder what the BPAL White Patchouli note will smell like!!! (((grabby hands!))) Who else is with me?!

I am also super exited, though not at all interested in the Lillith blend. It may take care of that gross burnt headache some pach gives me, which would be exciting because it's one of my favorite base notes.

Question for the patchouli lovers out there...

which do you think would be better for me

Red or Black?

As most of you know I love foodie, gourmand scents the most, but LOVE Banshee Beat! So if I had to go with Red or Black what would you recommend? :D

Question for the patchouli lovers out there...

which do you think would be better for me

Red or Black?

As most of you know I love foodie, gourmand scents the most, but LOVE Banshee Beat! So if I had to go with Red or Black what would you recommend? :D

I like the red better than black. I find the black very dry and woody, where the red (to me) is sweet and rich and delicious. I haven't tried Banshee Beat (though by all means, you could send me some) :lol: , it seems to be red patchouli in #occupywallstreet and Goblin I think, which according to what I've read has some similarities to BB.

Question for the patchouli lovers out there... which do you think would be better for me

Red or Black?

You're going to get a mix of answers to that question, because patchouli is one of those notes that is very susceptible to skin chemistry :smile:

On me, red patchouli is warm, syrupy, sensuous and voluptuous... and black is more woody, earthy and dry, and often goes a little bitter or sharp on my skin. Red is snuggly, Black is gnarly. So if I had to choose, it would be red all the way (for example, I have... er... several bottles of the Sumatran Red Patchouli SN, but I only bought one of the Black Patch SN).

Knowing what kind of BPALs you like, I suspect it's probably the rich sticky vanilla that makes the patchouli in Banshee Beat work for you - which makes me think that the red variety will be more your thing because it's generally sweeter and warmer than black. I can't say I've ever really thought of patchouli as being 'gourmand', but if a patchouli were ever to be placed in that category then it would be the red.

But hey - that's just my opinion! Someone who loves black patchouli will probably be here any minute to smack me down ;)

On me, red patchouli is warm, syrupy, sensuous and voluptuous... and black is more woody, earthy and dry, and often goes a little bitter or sharp on my skin. Red is snuggly, Black is gnarly. So if I had to choose, it would be red all the way

That is actually my exact experience as well. I much prefer Red. ;)

Just as an aside, I actually thought #occupy was Black, because it is extremely gnarly on me and not like BB at all.

I highly recommend Tricksy as a rich, delicious Patch blend. :yum: