Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
olympia301

Anthelion

Overcomes poverty, illness, and bad luck. Drives off despair and grief, and enables you to find hope and joy in life again.

anthelion.jpg

(The anthelion is a spot on the parhelic circle (the white arc through the sun and running parallel to the horizon), where the Wegener arcs, the Hastings arcs and the Tricker arcs cross the parhelic circle and increase the brightness. It is a visible band of ice crystals which we don't notice until the sun hits it just right.)

As perfume, Anthelion is just gorgeous. I smell a strange assortment of things in it and they are all crazy good. I detect: clove, menthol (in the most attractive way), some sort of floral, some sort of candy. It's all wildly attractive and smells like the Lab took the best "defining" idea from each era of Great Perfumery and put them together in Anthelion. Just as scents go, it's the list of the academy award winners the most important one for each decade for the last 50 years.

As for what it's good for, that is equally ambitious. I can tell you I needed that just now. I got a nasty shock and was reverberating from it. Anthelion made the pain of living through it go away. So, I can say that I have tried it and it does work. It works in subtle ways like all good natural cures, you don't get a sock in the jaw and a thundering voice from the heavens, you get a gentle hand on your head and a kindly ineluctable giving of the heart. That's what I have found in Anthelion.

I give it a hearty recommend as either a thing of aesthetic beauty or a powerful part of the magic ritual. I may not practice but I do believe. Edited by Shollin

TALAnthelion.jpg

In the bottle

This is what I expected maybe "Peace" or "Snow White" to smell like. It's so unbelievabley beautiful I can't even describe. Olympia301 is spot on with her description.

On

I smell camphor but before you wriggle your nose, it's so light so that only the vaopr of it, the part that makes it easier to breathe, is left. And then there's this misty sweetness mixed with lavender. It becomes an airy breath of minty lavender and a pale sweetness on my skin when first put on. Ethereal with a whisp of sweetness.

30 minutes

I cannot believe how fantastic this is to me. It is so good I made my husband smell it because I couldn't freakin' believe it. I still can't. He liked it by the way.

The only negative thing I could possibly muster up is that it does not stay as strong for very long. But it is definitely not the most fading scent I've tried, probably somewhere in the middle average. I really do feel/think that this is the prettiest bpal scent I've tried to date.

Throw:

Yes a bit.

Scent category:

Herby/Aquatic ?

Summary

As far as elementals I can't make up my mind if Anthelion is a watery blend or a very air-y blend or both. It smells like a pale pale blue color or something like that. It smells like you'd think it would from the description of what an Anthelion is.

People who like BPAL's "Aquarius", "Taurus" , "Blue Moon", "Peace", "Spirit" would like Anthelion I believe. Anthelion is in the same family tree as those on my skin. Anthelion has sort of something in common with all of them really; not as strong as "Blue Moon", not as light as "Peace", not as Lavender-y as "Aquarius" but similar, all of them are similar to my nose I don't know why. Some have some common ingredients here and there but mostly because they all evoke the same kind of vibe or feeling or energy. Ethereal, light, beautiful, crisp, lightly sweet, minty/herby aquatic. I like it better wet than dry.

Purchase again?

You bet, right now I would like to where this all the time no matter what I'm doing or where I am, even when I'm getting ready to sleep. OMG.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

I would heartily suggest any nose twins or people who may have similar skin chem as me to try Anthelion. It's incredible.

I so need to ground after using this, It definitely seems to help me get into a pretty "air-y", creative and spiritual space.

Anthelion = liquid Xanax. There is something so incredibly calming and cozy about this oil. It makes me feel better the second I put it on. I don't think I've got any good guesses about the notes in this - all I know is that overall it feels like getting out of the pool at the end of a long day and having your Mom there to give you a warm, fluffy towel-hug. I like to layer this with other scents - it has just enough throw that I smell it, and it always makes me smile, but I don't think it is all that noticeable to anyone else. I just adore this. :P

Wow...

Besides the *effective* qualities of this, the scent alone is absolutely, heartbreakingly gorgeous!

It is like a more grown up, more sophisticated Snow White 04; more subtle and with more depth. Floral but not overdone or overpowering but there is a hint of mystery to it.

Just putting it on makes me feel happier and more upbeat.

I really enjoy wearing this just for the scent. :P

Edited by VenusFlyTrap

I received my bottle of Anthelion on the day I had to bring my bf in for oral surgery and we were both very apprehensive and frightened about how painful (and expensive) it would be. I didn't have time to do anything complicated with the oil but I put it on my forehead and meditated by myself for a little while. I put a little behind my ears as well because the scent was very comforting to me and I wanted to have it with me while I was waiting. I didn't put any on him because he's allergic to so many things that I was afraid it would cause complications (sneezing would have been a very bad thing, for example).

Whenever I smell this incredibly complex, musky sweet lavender with a hint of clove (that's how I'd describe the fragrance) I feel centered and calm and confident that everything will be OK.

As it turned out everything did go fine on that day. We've been bombarded on all sides with financial, health, personal, family and work-related ills lately and I feel like having this gives me a little something on my side. I'll use it on candles and in meditation since I don't do formal rituals. The scent alone is comforting, if a bit overpowering (but I love lavender anyway and the strange musky sweetness makes it much less astringent). Finding hope and joy in life when everything seems to be conspiring against you is difficult but I'm glad to have something to help me when I am trying to find calm and peace.

I was expecting an icy scent but this doesn't smell cool or calming at all to me. I get cinnamon and lavender with - is it eucalyptus? - in the background. The energy I get from this is warm and empowering, like I've just been given an incredibly effective pep talk. My confidence is quite boosted with this. I haven't focused much with this, other than a quick candle alignment, so I'll update after I've worked ritually with this. But so far I have noticed a change in my general levels of faith and optimism and that leads me to expect good things from this oil.

ETA: I've been wearing this regularly and used it ritually beginning with the new moon. And I've noticed a marked change in my mentality, namely that I am suddenly possessed of clarity and focus, and have been making practical valuable changes in my life and business that I've been either ignoring or procrastinating on. It's like all my irritating excuses and daydreams have been burned off like fog and I'm now this calm, focused, accomplishing machine. Not what I was expecting from this but it is exactly what I needed!!

Edited by Nepthys

Anthelion has elements of Hod in it, I feel. Definitely a sugary musk, with a hint of sweet spiciness added to it. But where Hod has a fiery, bright carnation streak to it, Anthelion appears to, as noted above, contain cooler, airy florals along the lines of lavender. This isn't a harsh and medicinal lavender, either, it's a sweet budding, greenish powdery herb lavender.

Quite nice in my scent locket, which I wear close to my heart where this oil can exert some of its power. This here is one stunningly beautiful oil both for practical use as well as its own fragrant nature.

Anthelion

In the imp: lavender and spices. Very similar to Hermes, but lighter and airier. This scent is comforting, soothing and warm-I know this is going to work wonders. I will try it on the skin, dabbing it on with purpose. Maybe I will try candles later…

Wet on skin: ohh, so comforting, a gentle lavender spice.

Dry on skin: mmm! This is beautiful!! Whoever brought up the 'warm fluffy towels' analogy is spot on-this is like a warm hug, a comforting cloud, a gentle sweet scent that wraps around me and instantly soothes and calms and makes me smile. I smell lavender in here, possibly violet and/or heliotrope, and maybe a bit of an 'airy' note, fresh and light, almost like mint or eucalyptus, and underneath it I get warm spices like cinnamon and clove (or is it carnation?), and also a sweet note that may be vanilla. This gives another comforting scent to the overall fragrance-that of baking delicious cakes and cookies and other wonderful treats, just pulled out of the oven. A scent that is joyful and optimistic.

After a while: after the lavender and cool notes fade, the gorgeous scent that remains on my skin is a warm, sweet clove. Delicious clove sweetened with an almost gingerbread like scent, and a creamy vanilla as well, possibly some tonka or heliotrope as well. It smells quite festive, makes me think of Xmas. I think there may be carnation in here too. But the cosy dessert like vanilla-clove scent I get now is truly delightful! And it gets sweeter and creamier over time…ohhhh.

Verdict (scent): this is one of those TAL oils that smells truly wonderful and if this wasn't a ritual oil, I would wear this as plain perfume. It starts off with airy lavender and something cool, with a layer of spices underneath. A fragrance both warm and clean, very comforting, a hug of scent. As the lavender fades away, the spice strengthens and I smell baking gingerbread wafting through the air…and then the scent moves into a delightful vanilla-clove phase with a little hint of spicy gingerbread, a cheerful and reassuring scent that is delicious and almost edible. The drydown is a gentle creamy vanilla like scent with hints of spice. This is one for the big bottle list-for both scent and intent.

Verdict (intent/ritual): my first try wasn't on candles but I thought I'd put some on the skin, on my wrists, to see if this would give a purposeful effect, to pick me up when I'm feeling down. I thought today would be good since I had a terrible argument last night and still feel a bit shaken and need a boost. And I think it's working! I'm pretty sure this is one of those where the scent really enhances the purpose…the comforting, optimistic, sweet scent of this oil definitely puts a smile on my face when I first apply it and as the scent develops. It's calming and soothing and does seem to work on the hopeful, joyful, aspects of the description. I'm hoping it works equally well in regards to its luck bringing and healing aspects as well.

This was a specifically targeted purchase for me, as my little family has had nothing but bad news lately, and one of us has been unemployed for a month with no benefits. Lacking candles right now, I decided to wear this in one of my scent lockets, to create a bit of a talisman. I also applied some to my chest.

The scent wafting from this makes it worthwhile! It's a lovely airy lavender blend with a touch of spice. Very calming. I feel myself settling down internally as I smell it. It has decent throw, so it should work well on the senses when used in rituals. Any candle annointed with it will smell heavenly. Considering the purpose of this oil I have to believe aromatherapy is part of the package.

Could there be a light ginger in here perhaps? Again, soothing scents. I love that this has created a cloud around me. I hope it will protect me and I have definitely been focusing on my goals for this oil.

This was a get-well gift from the generous pranashakti :P. Thank you!

Scent: This is such an unexpected scent! Its sweet and sugary, but also medicinal in a clove/camphorous sense. Oddly, it manages to be herbal and creamy on top of all that. Astounding!

Utility: I annointed myself in this during my post-op two weeks of bedrest. And while those weeks were obviously not much fun, this really helped to uplift my sprits. It gives a brighter outlook, and at the same time manages to wrap you in a warm, healing hug.

Edited to add: I think I figured out what the medicinal/clove/camphorous component was! I just got some St. Johns Wort for my herb garden, and the crushed leaves smell JUST like that bit in anthelion! It would make sense, too, as St. Johns Wort is used for ailments...

Edited by jewelbug

Wow. Anthelion is warm and comforting and soothing and healing. That is the best way I can describe it. It feels like a hug, truly. Like a force that calms and heals and protects. It is absolutely beautiful.

So far I have used it in my scent locket to create sort of a healing, protective talisman. It makes me feel calm and almost childlike. I agree with the others who have said that the beautiful scent of this oil has to be part of its effectiveness, because inhaling the warm, sweet, airy scent (it truly smells like warm wind carrying the scent of sweet wheat and nectar) hits the "relax and smile" button in my brain with astonishing accuracy.

What a gift this oil is. :P

I will add a 'function' review when I use this in a more formal ritual context.

Scent-wise, I'm getting something a little similar to White Light. It is equally beautiful and perhaps shares some notes in common. It is cooler, sweeter, less rounded and more distinctly spicy. I'm getting what I think is some clove, and a faint herbal edge. It smells almost like...if you took the pine out of Skadi and had just the dichotomous coolness and warm spiciness. Utterly lovely.

Edited by maewitch

I'm getting carnations and the slightest touch of vanilla. JUST the barest hint, to add a creamy quality.

First on, Anthelion smells like sweet lavender and menthol-eucalyptus. It's chilly and airy. In the drydown, a pleasant sweet clove scent begins to dominate the blend. Within an hour, this has morphed into Sweet Clove singlenote on me. Delicious :P

I'm still feeling ill and I'm still grieving, but this *is* a very happy sort of scent. Warm and mood-lifting. I'm definitely going to get a full bottle of this one.

In the bottle and initial wear: It's a lavender and herbal scent. Quite light and bright.

Upon wearing: I really like every stage of this. It evolves slowly and smoothly on me, no jarring transisitions. I love the lavender/herb crisp beginning. Then slowly some spice enters the pic. For me, it is just as said above, either carnation or a spot of sweet clove. (both?) Then - and I may be the only person that gets this - i seem to get the addition of a white or light musk softening and smoothing things.

Ritual use: Okay, I couldn't resist applying some as i left the house today just to investigate the scent and on the off-chance it might have any immediate effects. Despite the lack of proper ritual, I honestly feel a bit better physically and mentally than I have in weeks - the malaise has dissipated somewhat - which could be coincidental or not - you decide! But I will update with results/feelings when I have put it to proper use.

ETA: Okay - I have yet to do a full-blown ritual with this for larger effect, but EVERY time I've worn it:

1) I have a happier and more productive day

2) I get complimented on the scent (And it's not even the type of scent I normally like - on me it's seemingly got a lot of white musk, which I don't normally like. But it's also kind of lavender-y. And sweet. I'm repeating myself.)

Edited by wolfie13

Anthelion - This has a lovely scent. It’s a sweet French lavender scent that is slightly herbal in its quality, but also softly spicy. It’s a warm scent and very comforting, calming, and relaxing. I’ve used it quite a bit lately when I’ve become overly upset or stressed-out about some things going on in my life right now, and I’m finding it really does help soothe my soul and help me feel like I can laugh and be happy again. I highly recommend it.

I was really feeling lousy this morning. STBXH is coming home today; I didn't get to sleep until the wee hours of the morning, after crying for a long time about my ex-boyfriend who abandonded me just when I needed him most, and then I slept very poorly; and physically I feel drained, because I had an attack of labyrinthitis yesterday.

GypsyRoseRed was kind enough to pick up a bottle of this for me at the last Will Call, and I'm SO happy she did!

I put this on my hand, sniffed deeply, and had a vision that while lying in the breeze from the AC, my troubles were peeling off and flying away like torn sheets of plastic. I immediately felt calmer, and better able to handle things.

Oh, and it smells lovely, too! Very spicy, and creamy. I'm not good at picking out notes when I don't know what I'm smelling, but I love spicy blends, and this is great.

So it's a rousing success! I'm still tired, but boy, I'll still have a good day.

My nose may be off, but I get the scent of dried immortelles (sp?) and unfinished wood. So, the effect is of a peaceful quiet room.

Tested here primarily for scent and not for purpose:

In the imp: lavender and clove and something minty in the background.

On me, wet: the cloves flare up, but this is lovely - there's a creamy spiciness like carnations, and lavender and mint making this gentle instead of biting.

On me, dry: This remains a very lovely creamy blend of spices and lavender. Soft and warming and soothing.

Verdict: As a perfume, this is very nice - and would likely be awesome in winter. As intent goes, I don't know that it boosted me much, but I wasn't depressed when testing it.

Lavender and clove, lavender and clove!

I do like the scent of this. I like my perfumes really really strong and this doesn't have as much throw as I'd like, but I love the scent. I've noticed that when the bottle has been warm (like in my car) the scent has much more oomph and deliciousness so I'm trying to let it sunbathe now before I put it on myself.

I haven't had any sort of lightning-storm magic moments with Anthelion since I've been using it. For a couple weeks I've been doing a lot of things both magically and non-magically to clear out the crud, and it's working right now. I don't know if Anthelion is part of that or not.

One thing I will say about Anthelion...the other day, I put some on and took a nap. I had one of the most comforting, wonderful, touching dreams I've ever had. I woke up and felt really peaceful, like I'd wanted to stay in the dream for a long time. But I also had a nice sense of the dream being kind of real, like the happiness I felt there was a projection of other good things in my life.

As a scent this is lavender and spice - kind of like Chimera mixed with lavender.

It is very peaceful. I am a cancer survivor and it left me with panic attacks. i'm always looking for better ways to address these. This seems to be destined to be a powerful tool im my arsenal.

I don't get any of that omgSwoon! effect with this--as far as scent goes, anyway. On me, this smells like clove and Play-Doh, and is just barely tolerable. So when I tell you Anthelion works, rest assured it is not just an aromatherapy thing. This stuff is astonishing.

I'm on the edge of a depression, my bitter ex and his stupid lawyers are harassing me again, and I've been frazzled and feeling a little tempted to despair. Today I came home from a meeting and after picking my kids up from school, and made a beeline to my imp box for my decant. I had nothing formal planned, I just wanted to apply with a little focus--but I didn't even get to do that, as one of my kids came in my room and promptly started rummaging through my closet, looking for where I hid his Halloween candy, all the while yammering away in his usual double-Aquarius Gemini-rising fashion. So much for focus.

Twenty minutes later, I'm catching up on my emails and I realize this sense of calm and peace has settled over me; a soothing, quiet hope. All my problems and irritations are still here, but I feel centered and...good. Like it's all going to be okay. It just sort of snuck up on me.

I'm so impressed. And I smell like Play-Doh. Maybe I can wash this off now :P

Edited by Inanna9

I love this oil. I got an imp in a decant circle and I've already used half!

The scent I get is overwhelmingly clove, with a bit of allspice, vanilla and lavender. Almost like pumpkin pie spice w/lavender and something else. As others have said, this is like a hug in a bottle. Definitely a Molly Weasley scent.

I wore a drop on each of my chakras before bed last night to begin a purification process. I did have some very weird dreams but I take it as part of the purification.

Wearing it today, I feel much more grounded, centered, calm and take-charge. I feel as if I can overcome whatever obstacles are in my path. This oil, when worn, works on me to give a serene, can-do feeling. I'm waiting to do a candle ritual with Anthelion and see how that goes.

Interestingly, my kitties are reacting very positively when I wear it! One in particular is being much more affectionate than usual and demanding pets 24/7. I would never ever put the oil on the cats but just having the Anthelion in their vicinity seems to have a positive effect on them. (To repeat: Cats have incredibly sensitive systems and I would NEVER apply ANY TAL directly to my cats.)

Unbelievable stuff...like serenity made liquid. I get a bit of clove and herbal, along with vanilla.

I've used it for battling my depression, as well as a nasty bout with bronchitis that turned into pneumonia, and it's worked wonderfully every time. Highly, highly recommended.