Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Orodemniades

Spice me, baby! The spiciest BPAL blends

It isn't mentioned much when sexy blends are discussed, but give Penitence a try. It is rich, warm, spicy, mysterious, and altogether divine.

For a scent that combines your two loves, check out Lampades: to my nose, it's a cranberry version of Scherezade.

Has no-one mentioned Snake Oil? I remember Scherezade reminding me of Snake Oil, Blood Kiss, and Kabuki. Also reminded me of incense, but that opens up a whole can of worms.

Are you open to foody scents at all? All Souls might be worth a try. It reminds me of a spicy floral incense with....cake. It works a lot better than it sounds. :P It seems to me to be more incense/smokey than foody, though.

Seems like there are many many options for you....have fun in your search!

as far as spicy goes, i like count dracula and three witches. three witches is pretty mich just spice spice spice! but the count has a sweeter drydown. not sure if these are what you're after, but you might try em anyway.

i also like eclipse, which is mainly sweet and warm but with a little touch of cinnamon, and i'll second al-shairan. good luck!

I second Three Witches. It's really lovely especially if you're a spicy girl. And I fourth? fifth? Bengal, which was AMAZING, just not on me (my best friend smells heavenly with it on though and every guy we know agrees!). Good luck!

If you want to try combining fruity and spicy/sexy, how about Hymn to Proserpine? It's very warm, and ambery with a really nice blend of dark fruits and spice.

Seconding Sin, Bengal, Hymn to Proserpine, Lampades and Mme. Moriarty. All lovely.

And I'd also like to add for consideration:

• Blood (spicy dragon's blood and myrrh)
  • Vixen (ginger-infused patchouli and orange blossom, which also smells like there's red musk in it even though it's not listed)
  • Bewitched (earthy musky evil forest berries)
  • Madrid (spicy mulled wine and incense)
  • Chimera (best cinnamon incense ever)
  • Tintagel (spiced wine, candles and enchanted forest)

and -- if you can find it --

• Red Phoenix (spicy, fruity, musky, incensey, dark and just all around great -- but discontinued).

(excuse the bump, please!!)

So I'm looking for a "spicy" blend that works for me. I've looked through the thread and noted some things that sound interesting....but...

The biggest problem for me is that in trying The Lion and Bengal, both go straight to Play-Doh on me. While I love both scents when they're wet (sweet, yet spicy), they're horrid when dry. Anyone with or without this problem have any recs?

(excuse the bump, please!!)

So I'm looking for a "spicy" blend that works for me. I've looked through the thread and noted some things that sound interesting....but...

The biggest problem for me is that in trying The Lion and Bengal, both go straight to Play-Doh on me. While I love both scents when they're wet (sweet, yet spicy), they're horrid when dry. Anyone with or without this problem have any recs?

I'm guessing that your problem with The Lion was probably the amber. A lot of people have issues with amber going either powdery or play-doh on them. Bengal didn't work for me either (very sad -- I had such high hopes for it!).

Hmm, spicy BPALs. I'm sure I'm going to repeat a lot of what's already in this thread, but here goes:

If you can get your hands on any Three Witches or Three Witches Revisited (both discontinued, but you might be able to swap for some), they are pure spice blends.

Eclipse and Inferno both have a lot of cinnamon in them (but also a lot of almond). Chimera has some cinnamon but was way too sweet for my taste.

I got mostly myrrh from Priala, the Human Phoenix, but a lot of people are finding that blend quite spicy and sexy.

Port-au-Prince is sweet and spicy -- a bit almondy-clovey-sassafrassy, if I'm remembering correctly.

Silk Road! It's one of my very favourite blends. It's fairly dry, and spicy without being hot or aggressive in the way that, say, Al-Shairan is. I really wish I knew what was in it; I can identify cardamom and a little caraway, I think, but the rest remains a mystery.

I'm bumping this for self-serving mod reasons, pay no attention to the goofy lady behind the curtain.

But of all the spicy BPALs I love Chimera and Snake Oil the most. (I just started typing "Snake Road", I must have Silk Road on the brain!). I am really looking forward to seeing how War ages - I think it could become Chimera driving a monster truck.

Seems like all I'm reaching for these days are spicy scents, so here's what's currently in heavy rotation:

Red Phoenix: yowza-Big-Red cinnamon at first, but it dries into a gloriously deep & dry spice incense. Not as hard to find as it used to be, it seems, esp on eBay

Scherezade: mmmm, occult bookstore! Sandalwood incense with a bit of saffron & spice

Bengal: less complex than some of my other oils, but a nice straightforward whallop of chai with a dab of honey

Priala: myrrh + cinnamon = teh YUM, hot & smoky & deeelish

Sri Lanka: a much drier, more austere spice, not foody-spice as much as resin-spice

Snake Charmer: Spicy, juicy Snake Oil minus PlayDoh! :P

Devil's Night '06: I much prefer '06 to '05 - it's darker, with more booze & this incredible smoked cinnamon note

Shub: Evil gingersnaps!

Pumpkin Plunder #5 ('07): Evil gingersnaps with lemon zest & pumpkin!

The Smiling Spider: sticky tarry clove, almost beyond spicy in its blackness

Bastet: much, much lighter than the rest, but a lovely warmed-skin & spice scent

Hmmm. Any wonder that I love it when the cold weather sets in? :D

Saw-Scaled Viper is the spiciest BPAL I've smelled so far.

Plunder is also spicy and warm. It's like chai tea without the creaminess or sweetness, but still yummy.

For reference, aged (mine is 2 years, I think) Bengal is relatively mellow, so if you love spices but don't like the sharpness of fresh Bengal, look for an older bottle.

Looks like no one's touched this thread for a while, but I wasn't sure where else to put this -- and I wanna preach the gospel of Valentine of Rome! :P

Valentine is a beautifully spicy resin blend: frankincense with tons of clove and pepper overtones. Yum!

For reference, aged (mine is 2 years, I think) Bengal is relatively mellow, so if you love spices but don't like the sharpness of fresh Bengal, look for an older bottle.

Interesting to read this. I just bought a bottle of Bengal that's very aged (still has an unlaminated label) and the previous owner had said it was very potent. Sadly I haven't found it so, it seems to have lost of most of the honey note and it fades rather fast!

I might have to sell this on and get a fresh bottle..

Count Dracula! :P

I'll agree with lookingglass on the Count. I got a brand new bottle from an EBay auction last week, and I've worn it every day. It's aged about 18 months, no? It's strong clove and cinnamon, and a little leather. It actually stung a little when I put it on my neck. I'm in love... :D

I'll be haunting EBay and the forums to find another bottle for next winter....

inferno is the most spicy scent i've tried yet.

red phoenix, plunder and bengal are also up there.