Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

I love how this smells in the imp and when it's wet on my skin. It is sweet and heavy and resinous. But when it dries on my skin, it turns kind of boring. My skin soaks up all the interest.

*sighs*

I had such high hopes for this one...

I smelled it in the imp and the blend was intoxicating and very lustful...

But once I got it on my skin - all I got was ylang ylang...and me and ylang ylang are not friendly - it's an instant migraine enducer for me :P

I even tried this twice to see if I could get different results - but nope..

Bad headache, bad barfy feeling in the stomach followed pretty much as soon as I got it on...

Oh Lust - why did you have to not work? :D

I was sent this as a frimp, and I'm so glad! I would never have tried it on my own, but it's the darkest oil I've seen thus far, and that piqued my curiousity.

It's a beautiful combination. I tried it before bed, and while it didn't make me want to go out and grab someone, it certainly helped make a bad day much better. I didn't get much ylang out of it; the other notes were prevalent, with none overpowering the others. Decent throw, too.

I'm going to consider a bottle of this. It's the darkest, deepest scent I've tried, and I could see myself wearing it quite a bit.

In the bottle: Lookit this! It's so DARK!!! This kinda reminds me of Smut! Minus the candy-like-ness. WAaaaaaaaaaaaah patchouli...I smell yoooooou.... ;_;

Wet: HAI 2 U YLANG YLANG. HOW R U!? K. That comes out straight as it hits my skin. I wonder if that hotness is the red musk? This is straaaaaaaaange. X_X

Dry: UGH! No! NO! You were so nice on me before! Back off Ylang Ylang! Too much force! TOO MUCH FORCE! Noooo! It killed me! ;_;

That's sad. It was actually nice at the beginning.

Lust - Wow, I never thought a scent would smell so good – especially considering it has three notes that I really dislike and one note that often doesn’t work on me. Once again, BPAL has really surprised me. This scent is deep and resinous, yet it has a scent that is simultaneously sweet and sharp. It’s got great throw, but not overpowering, and it lasts and lasts. I plan to wear this when I want to make an impression. I love it!

this kind of reminds me of sin, but i like sin better i think. even though they both have patchouli, which i don't generally like, the patchouli seems more prominent in this, and i am getting a hippie-headshop feel from this scent. when it fades it smells much sexier and less-patchouli to me, but i'm not sure i want to do all that waiting for it to smell good.

Edited by theseagrows

I recieved this as a free imp with an order. I was amazed at how old fashioned it smells (I mean this in a good way).

Initial Sniff: This smells sad. It's the Ylang Ylang. It also reminds me of a very expensive perfume my grandmother used to wear when I was a child. And reminds me my mother's and grandmother's fancy luxuriously scented face creams.

Initial Application - 2 Hours: This is lovely. The Ylang Ylang and red musk are sexy yet innocent.

2 + Hours: The Pachouli and Myrhh kick in and are well balanced with the Red Musk and Ylang Ylang. I am suprised because with other perfumes my body totally amplifies Pachouli and sometimes Myrhh can smell like something rotting away slowley and putridely.

3+ Hours: The scent slowely fades.

I love this scent. It is sexy yet sad and has the charm of being vintagey. I don't get the hot for love feeling others seems to get with this but have with some of the oils in the Love Potions.

This scent doesn't have alot of throw but has decent staying power. This is what I hoped Bordello would be like. Bordello on me was a sugary, Kool Aid, Sweet Tart mess.

I love it and a big bottle will be ordered!

ADDED Aug. 27:

I have finally figured out what this reminds me of! My mom said it smelled like the old drugstore perfume her and my grandmother used wear "Taboo."

Needless to say, they both loved it and wanted to know where I got it.

A bottle for me and maybe bottles for them for x-mas.

I love this scent.

Edited by DeliberateAngel

In the imp, the color of Lust is rather like red-hot passion, and it's a pungent, earthy-musky smell. When I first put it on, it reminded me of the love child of Urd and Smut. It's patchouli and musk, but there's an almost red wine smell in there. After a few minutes, it becomes very spicy-peppery, and I'm assuming that is the musk and myrrh really kicking in. I think the ylang ylang shows up the longer I wear Lust, because it assumes a soft, undertone. It reminds me a bit of Dragon's Blood, but without the sweetness. The patchouli really fades to the background, and over time, this scent retains its hot peppery, spicy kick with a soft floral underbelly.

This was a frimp from the lab.

This is by far the darkest oil I have ever used. I agree that it smells very earthy and musky in the bottle, with perhaps a little bit of spice.

On my skin I still get an earthy, musky smell, but I can also smell the ylang ylang now. It reminds me a little of Malice because of the ylang ylang, but Lust is a bit muskier and dirtier.

I'm really loving this. I tested it for the first time last night, and now I am wearing it for the first day today. I think this will be a bottle, but I will wait to see how I feel by the end of the day.

*edit*

Ok, the day isn't even up, and I ordered a 5ml. Yeah...I like it.

Edited by MissMorbus

this was also received as a frimp from the lab and...i like it! i was actually able to guess it was patchouli, myrrh and musk, so i'm pretty proud of myself for figuring that one out. i don't actually smell much ylang ylang, which is a shame, cause i like ylang ylang. anyway, this is darkly sweet and sensual - it's got a powderiness which i'm attributing to the patchouli, which tends to do that on my skin. it is a lusty smell, but in a soft, fuzzy way. i can see this as a good bedtime scent.

Mmm, my first Deadly Sin! As a frimp from the lab, they chose to send me my second-most-coveted Deadly Sin (after Wrath; ironically the Deadly Sins I most like the descriptions of are also the Deadly Sins I am plagued with in real life...but let's not go into how Lust complements my personal life - let's just say that, summary of the review upcoming, Lust has definitely found its way into my life, and is likely to stay there :P )

Wet: ooh, ylang ylang, must have more ylang ylang, it is so fun to say and I like the smell too.

Dry: that smells like one of my favourite Indian jewelry stores - so pathchouli is the culprit. But there is something special about this patchouli; it is not overwhelming; I think the myrrh, without showing its own face, is tempering the patchouli so I am not a hippie; well, I am a sexy high-class hippie (is there such a thing as a high-class hippie?).

All the same, I wish the ylang ylang stayed a bit longer, and I am still hoping for the myrrh and musk to come out - you guys usually party on my skin like there's no tomorrow, what's wrong today? But I promptly put Lust in my purse imp box, and it ain't going nowhere but to get dabbed again.

Actually, I now want to renew it. The same addiction I feel for Nyarlathotep is showing up. Lust, darling, I am going nowhere tonight, so hold your horses, tomorrow maybe. But if you continue tempting me like that, I may need a bottle of you soon.

a gentle gift

This one is dangerous (besides being my favorite Sin).

At first I thought--"oh, another in the Snake Oil, Snake Charmer group" (must have been the patchouli)--but it's not. Much more earthy. I'd swear it has a leather note in it, though none is listed.

Goes on sharp, settles into wicked.

No, I really don't want to break up any more marriages...but...

Temptation is fun. Brilliant scent.

This decanted imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue swap.

In the bottle: a thick, viscous and black-orange fluid. It's the most unusally colored BPAL I've seen to date. Smells like cherries.

Wet: Earthy musk with a hint of … what? Eucalpytus? VERY potent. VERY assertive, even after washing hands. Becomes more musky-myrrh with bursts of patchouli.

I'm really glad to have had the opportunity to try a scent that was otherwise not on my radar, but, sadly, it's not for me.

Safe travels wandering imp!

On me, this is a kind of nice, generic resiny scent. It's pretty, but not very lustful and honestly sort of boring.

Ugh. This one is POTENT. I'm not good at picking out notes, but whatever it was STRONG and old-fashion perfumey on me. I'm thinking it's the ylang ylang.

I was hoping that this would have a similar soft smell to Bath and Body's old "Ylang Ylang Myrrh" line, but no luck. It's so powerful that my small test could be smelled by my husband all the way on the other side of our big kitchen.

Off to swaps with this one.. :P

Very cool...

Wet - I get the musk, myrrh, light ylang ylang anf light pachouli (thank goodness for that)

Dry - I am convinced that I am a sucker for myrrh. And again - thank goodness the pachouli stay WAY in the background. The whole pachouli thing reminds me too much of cheap indian/headshop places. The ylang ylang goes out much stronger when dry.

This one has staying power and then some!

This isn't a scent that I would normally wear - and there are others that bring out more "lust" for me but I might use it to mix things up a bit. It IS quite beautiful.

Bottle: red musk and patchouli dominate

Wet: there is almost a dragon's blood resin affect at play as the red musk and ylang ylang interweave.

Dry: the myrrh is in play, and the ylang ylang hasn't tried morphing and amping, yet, but the patchouli is really sharp underneath the rest.

Later: another of the 7 deadlies I can wear - all I have tried so far have been, at least in my estimation, wonderful representations. all have been evocative and complex...

Lust easily could have turned into miniluxbane with the tag team of red musk and ylang-ylang (and I confess it did give me a bit of a headache, which I'm blaming on those two :D). I find red musk to be the most brazenly sexy and intoxicating of Beth's musks, however it really is not really a me note, so it was ultimately the lure of patchouli that got me to try this. Much to my surprise and despite its tendency to be a bit powdery, I find this stuff amazingly addictive and intoxicating, and I can't stop sniffing my wrist when I wear it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some secret voodoo ingredient in this or lust spell cast over this blend. :P

This is some seriously strong stuff </alliteration>

Honestly though, the red musk jumped up my nose the moment I sniffed the vial, so I only put on the teeniest dab of this on the inside of my forearm. Four hours later, it's still wafting patchouli and red musk.

Initially it was a very sweet, heady combo of red musk and ylang ylang, and as it dried the myrrh and patchouli kicked in to give a darker depth. The ylang ylang goes away after about an hour, and like I said...I'll probably smell a little of patchouli all night. It's a nice sweet one though, not too dirty. Well, maybe a little dirty :P

A pretty good embodiment of lust, I'd say. And a lil' dab'll do ya.

Edited by Inanna9

Lust-

In Bottle: Mmm, musk. Woody musk. Is there vetiver in here?

Wet: I swear I smell sweet musk and what I thought was vetiver--that wood-and-chocolate smell. Well, whatever it is, it's sweet and heavy and yummy.

Dry: I am getting the same roasted potato smell I got in Haunted! How about that. But mostly this is sweet grape-like musk in a lovely, not-too-heavy blend. I don't think it smells, well, sexy, but I do like it.

Overall: I like!

I would have to say Pride is my besetting sin, but Lust is a close second. :P High time I tried this! Lust smells like Ren Faire incense; I swear I got a hint of orange blossom before it morphed into sweet ylang. There's a nice spiciness going on here. I'm not overly fond of patchouli; it's not bad but it doesn't really add anything I love. Brian was not lust-crazed at smelling it; he said it was "ok...slightly gypsy." Ah, but I have a bottle of Gypsy Queen for that sort of mood, so I don't think I need this one.

wow, I can't believe I never reviewed this. I got it as a frimp from a swap (I think) and kept it even though I know I'll never wear it, just because it smells so, umm, accurate.

First off this stuff is hella strong. It's stronger than my Monster Bait: Closet which can be detected a floor away (no kidding). The dominant note is red musk, and it's sweet and spicy and oozes with sex, but definately not romance. If pure sex smelled good, that would be Lust.

unfortunately, it's way too strong for me. I will stick to Envy, my very favourite sin.

Edited by myoubi

Lust started out cherry cedar (which could be a Lust pun) both intensely sweet and intensely bitter. Ok, I guess that is the spicy red musk and maybe the bitterness was the myrrh?

The drydown is still woody and spicy.

Lust is a like: a good reference for "red musk". I hadn't realized that something could smell so much like wood without there being any!! Will enjoy the imp, but I already have enough musky bottles.

Edited by themerrybaker