Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Luna

Cleansing - Purification - Imagination - Dream Work

Emotional Growth & Healing - Mystery - Veiling - Deception – Impulse

Capriciousness - Bewitchments - Glamor - Delight - Pleasure

Luna - Oh, you wicked, wicked jasmine!!! Why must you hate me so much?! Wet in the vial, Luna smells fresh and sweet – just the perfect amount of sweetness for me. I put it on and I’m in Heaven. I can’t say I’ve ever thought about what the moon might smell like, but now that I’m thinking about it, this beautiful fresh, sweet, and dreamy scent is absolutely dead-on. Unfortunately, about three minutes after it comes in contact with my skin, the fresh sweetness completely fades and my body chemistry amps up the jasmine to the point that it’s all I can smell. The scent of the jasmine completely masks any other notes that may be in this blend. Once again, my heart breaks because of the way jasmine destroys what would otherwise be a fabulous scent on me.

Edited by edenssixthday

this smells like a white creamy floral on me. i was thinking jasmine, but now that i've seen ylang ylang mentioned in the reviews, that must be it, or a combination of the two. jasmine, honeysuckle and ylang ylang always smell generically floral on me, so this one doesn't really do much for me. this was the first celestial i've tried, i was so excited! alas, it's not really a 'me' scent.

In the bottle- cherry and lavender? It's a bit hard for me to pinpoint exactly what this is.

On me- Fruity, floral, and herby. That cherry might actually be ylang ylang, it's still a bit hard to tell. There also seems to be a jasmine note, but it's not super strong. The herbs are stronger. Ultimately this develops into a soft floral scent. This really is a very calming scent.

First whiff: almonds. Lovely, and not bitter almonds like in so many, if not most, other almond-enhanced BPAL, it's almost marzipan-like!

Drydown: the almonds quickly vanished, although not quite instantaneously like in aforementioned other be-almonded BPAL :P

The body of the scent is mostly white florals, and I could swear there's jasmine in there, although it's not turning as hideous as it usually does on my skin (smell Ma, no pee! :D). The scent itself reminds me quite a bit of Tarot: The High Priestess, sans mint. Aaaand... well, it's just that, plain white florals, with a tiny hint of powder, and something that feels almost acrid to my nose. I never smelled any cherries in this.

Verdict: it's a simple - dare I say boring, to my tastes? - white floral. And I'm judging it for the scent only as, unfortunately, I never felt the "vibe" I get from other Celestials... it may also be because I'm a bit scared of some of the facets of the Moon as ascribed to this blend :D

6.5/10

In bottle: Sharp is an overly sweet hairspray way.

Wet: Plasticky and sweet.

Dry Down: The flowers are showing through now, although it still end up smelling like flowery hairspray. I don't think this one is going to work for me, I smell like a Salon. Oh well, one more for the swap pile.

In the bottle: Cough syrup. Really strong, knock you on your ass cough syrup. I am wary.

Wet on skin: Still smells like cough syrup. Not promising.

Dry on skin: Ylang ylang, and lots of it. This is nice. Until it gets overtaken with hints of shampoo, and cough syrup.

I don't get why this didn't work too well on me. I had high hopes for it, but I just can't get past the wafts of medication and hair products. Otherwise, it would've been lovely.

When I opened this imp I was surprised to find Luna was an almondy-floral scent. Not exactly what I expected and I hadn't read any reviews at that stage. On my skin it doesn't hold the almond scent for long before Jasmine, Honeysuckle and maybe even Ylang Ylang go strutting through with high heels and perfect nails. This is what I imagine Trophy Wives smell like. :P

Ridiculously overactive imagination aside - fans of heady white florals will love this.

In the vial: Well, it's a familar burn-y smell. I can't place it but I know I've sniffed that note before.

On the skin: It's floral, whatever's in it. And it's giving me a headache. Bummer.

Edited by bat

lunaSS.jpg

Imp: When I smelled this in the imp (a decant from an eBay lot purchase, I immediately disliked the strong lemony-candy smell. But I've discovered from other Lab blends that first sniffs can be deceiving.

Wet: I rubbed a bit on my wrist -- still sweet, but it muted quickly away from the citrus to a lovely floral, with (to my nose) lavender tones! I looked up the description to see that jasmine and ylang-ylang were mentioned but no lavender...yet I swear I smell lavender in this blend. But even more surprising to me, this blend does not work in a scent locket for me; it doesn't morph away from the lemon-candy smell unless it's on my skin, so back in my jewelry box goes the White Rabbit!

Dry: Rich, full and creamy -- and floral. No citrus, which for me is good. I like this blend a lot, so I'm glad I bought a bottle from eBay after testing the imp. And this blend smells the same in the imp and in the bottle, so aging evidently doesn't play much of a part in this particular blend, at least not so far.

Verdict: This is a a very nice joyfully feminine floral blend, and I'm glad I gave it a chance past the first sniff.

Edited by stellans

In an attempt to keep myself awake a little longer, I thought I might give a few more things in my 'to review' pile a test...

In the imp, it's ... kind of lemony - but in a preserved lemon rind kind of way. There's also something that smells ... like what a match smells like after it's been struck and then blown out. Also, a teeny bit of something that makes me think almond.

Wet on skin, the recently-lit-and-blown-out match smell is definitely in the forefront, perhaps it burnt the lemon rind?

Once it dries a bit, the blown-out-match part mellows out a little, and a certain sweetness creeps in, along with some ... jasmine? Nothing in the way of almond though. Jasmine in BPAL doesn't behave the same way as jasmine from elsewhere does on my skin, I'm learning.

i once had a cat named luna, so the name and its associations are dear to me. so, i’m happy that this is one of my favorite celestial blends. it’s cool, beautiful, delicate and feminine. floral, but not overwhelmingly so. very light jasmine. and something that reminds me of a lemon ice. or chilled grapefruit, maybe? the citrus is very subtle and comes and goes. in my mind, this scent is the palest yellow.

I got this as a frimp from the lab ages ago, and just now got around to my review. Slacker!

This was swirling and airy, but it has a very strange note that does not work on my skin. It's both cloyingly sweet and medicinal. I can't place what it might be. It's not very dominant in the blend, more a background thing. However, it does not put me in a happy place. I think I'm getting more of the negative aspects in this than the positive.

This is ylang ylang and....someotherstuff :P Okay, I can't tell wat else is in it other than ylang ylang. But, as you can (partially) see by my username, Luna has some very personal connections for myself and so I really, really wanted to like this one. Well, I do not think that the lab has failed in capturing this lunar energy - this scent is feminine, glowing, white, radiant and pure. I likee. I'll def. cherish this impfull since this scent is no more!

In the bottle, all I smelled was almonds, so I was prepared to not like it, but it dried much sweeter, and smelled of honeysuckle. Very nice. :P But it doesn't remind me of the moon.

I don't know if this is the original Luna, or Luna revisited. It's a very old imp with a tarted label which I recently discovered in my goodies box. I don't remember when or how I got it, but I think it's time to give it a try...

Wet: Eeuuwwww … oh, no! Murky, musty jamine! :) Jasmine is bad, bad, BAD on me. Always. On me, jasmine becomes a sour, greenish, musky creature which has lived and sweated heavily (without bathing) its entire life in Her Majesty the Empress of Trolls' Interestingly Spoiled Odor Factory, mostly in the Scatological Effluvia section. :D

But for some reason I don't immediately wash it off. (Olfactory masochism? I wait only for it to blossom into its truest rankness.) But wait! A thought I hesitate even to consider, but ... is it possible for there to be a "good" jasmine? I've been told that there is a vampire with a soul, but "good jasmine" is far more difficult to believe. Yet, I am finding it difficult to otherwise process what is happening here. Yes, there are other white flowers helping it along, and whatever Beth uses to create that amazing "cool night air' effect (I had had never realized before Beth's scents that that little tickle of wild liberation I feel outside in the dark actually does have - or is - a scent), but primarily Luna is good, gentle, sweet and lovely, softly and luminously white, jasmine! Who'da thunk it?

:P

Wonderful! Amazing! And it stayed with me for three whole hours, despite my flower-destroying skin!

Luna is truly magical, I am blessed to have her, and I will wear her with great appreciation.

:D

Correction: Reading through previous reviews, I realize that what I am smelling may well be honeysuckle rather than jasmine, which would explain a lot, as well as replacing my basic concept of the universe on its foundations. Whew!

Honeysuckle, huh? Just fabulously lovely, whatever she is. Definitely right up there at the top of my personal favorites list.

Edited by celtimor

In the bottle: strong crisp white frangipani, moonflowers

Wet: same cool white flowers and night blooming jasmine

Dry: On me this is all white flowers. The frangipani lures you in at first. Potent and powerful. Once dry the flowers meld together nicely with dewy juicy moonflowers. Jasmine adds a bit dreamy creaminess--it's not loud jasmine at all. Very lanquid and powerful, lots of energy.

After an hour, all of the flowers have cooled down and I am left with a beaming moonflower note glistening in the night air. The frangipani that was so strongly sweet is well beneath.

Edited by mineralfairy

In the bottle - White and clean. Some very soft white florals, cherries and linen. Quite lovely.

Wet - Cherry and linen, cherry and linen!

Drying - This is ylang ylang, it really must be. On me, it's getting this "earthy" type feeling, as the cherry disappears and the linen fades behind the floral. I think there may be a touch of rosewood in this, for that earthiness....

Dry (2 hours) - So... strong... The floral is killing me it's so strong. My skin ate the yummy fruit and linen, amping the heck out of the floral to the point of insanity. I just tried to wash it off, it was getting to my head so badly.

Overall - Absolutely great in the bottle, total crap on my crazy skin. Sigh.

Wet: Floral, but very bad, and I'm nervous about even putting it on.

First on: Sharp and strong. Stinks of rotting jasmine.

Dry: Worse, stronger, and I need to go scrub it off now.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Luna reminds me a lot of the smell of almond jelly. A very sweet scent. Not exactly a scent that I would wear, or so I thought. Once it begins to dry down, the sweetness tones down and beautiful florals come through. Pale, delicate florals. Very very beautiful. I did not to expect to like it this much. It's too bad it is discontinued. I'm so glad I was able to find it on ebay.

Of course I had to get this when it was revisited in 2005 because of it being my ruling planet.

Sniff from bottle: Sweet florals…I can’t discern anything individual but maybe ylang ylang?A bit of jasmine? Moonflower maybe?

Visual I get when I close my eyes is cool moonlight streaming brightly on a garden bathing the flowers in a silvery light.

Applied wet on skin:: For some reason I’m getting a wisp of something herbal along with the florals..getting a bit more jasmine now..am still thinking maybe ylang ylang and yes..something reminding me of cherries sort of..not the cough syrup cherry I get in other blends but fresh juicy cherries and it’s on the tail end.

Couple of minutes on skin: It’s jasmine forward and it’s a bit drier..for some reason I keep registering something green and a bit herbal ..but it retains a degree of sweetness that is not cloying. Moonlit jasmine floral indeed.

10 min later I’m wondering if this may have frangipani in here? Something else with the jasmine makes this seem sweet and silvery white..really liking this.

Half an hour later-Same as above just softened.

Lasting power clocks in at about 5+hours with throw average.

Bottom Line: Luna works for me; the jasmine and other silvery feeling florals in here really evoke the namesake. I like this for spring/summer-especially in the evening.

Ylang ylang, cherry and something else. The ylang ylang smells like moon lit jasmine, but it's not. It's very floral, very silvery and otherworldly in feeling.

In the Bottle (ITB): I get jasmine and wood. Mind you, this is a very aged bottle, so some of the notes may be significantly altered due to the aging process.

Wet: Once on my skin, a more subtle floral emerges, like ylang-ylang or something along those lines, just under the strong jasmine. There is still a little bit of wood and now a whiff of musk.

Dry: Now, it smells like specialty hand soap and jasmine. It's certainly a clean scent.

In the imp: Jasmine. Jasmine sambac, specifically. Oh, this is heavenly.

Wet on skin: Ok, less jasmine, more fruit now. I'm not sure what fruit, but fruit it is.

Dried down: A little jasmine and fruit, and a lot of something very green and herbal. I don't know what this is, but I don't think I'd want to wear it as perfume.

Throw: Not much.

Verdict: *** I love the jasmine and like the fruit, but I don't really care as much for the sharp herbal quality when it's dry. If this were going to be a straight perfume for me, I would probably put it in my swap pile. As it is, though, I like the idea of using the celestial oils in planetary work, and I could see myself using this one in aspects relating to the description.

Luna is definitely white florals, jasmine specifically, but it feels like there's something else in this. There's also something herbal, and something fruity, both of which I can't at all place. Either way the strongest note is the jasmine, the rest is all just in the background making it a bit more interesting.

Overall I enjoyed it but I'll be rehoming it to someone I think might like it more than I did.