Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Nine Muses

Provides an abundance of creative inspiration in all the arts.

In the bottle this smells (like so many TAL blends) medicinal -- and rather distinctly like geraniums. Okay. Weird, but not unpleasant. Worn, a lemony scent (lemon verbena? lemon grass? maybe...) comes out that reminds me honestly of Calliope, but never goes to that weird Lemon Pledge place. There is a slightly minty edge to it as well, and after a while the whole perfume goes quite powdery on my skin. (This is neatly avoided by the way, but the use of a wax warmer and scent lockets.) This isn't unpleasant, but not my favorite thing in the world. (We WILL get to my favorite thing in the world in a bit though.)

I've used this in both wax warmers and to annoint myself before beginning creative work. I've also worn it as general perfume, but with the specific intention of seeing if it was inspired any particular creativity. Wooboy, did it ever.

So, the first time I wore it, I discovered two things: 1) yes, it did help me get through a writer's block and 2) it may well have an aphrodisiac effect on me. Ahem. The second time I used it I had a brainstorm for a marketing campaign. The third time I used it in a wax warmer right next to where I was sketching out ideas for logo designs. VERY pleased with the results.

So, the verdict? This stuff works.

My Impression:

This is total lemony and mint goodness, (which usually I am not so fond of the mint) but it is truly lovely in this.There is also something sweet underneath. Dare I say honey? In a word...uplifting. As I inhaled the aroma from the vial I can say it was clean and uplifting. Upon the drydown, it did morph into something a little softer around the edges. A very natural herbal lemon nothing artificial here. I must confess after reading Macha's review I did have a preconceived notion about this one and am pleasantly surprised that it does not disappoint. I could see me wearing this often, and am so glad to have been able to have the opportunity to try it. (Thanks to Gaiagrrl for decanting me this)

My Scale of 1 to 5 ... 4

Edited by ~AmusedMuse~

A very green herbal with maybe some bergamot. I get the colors green and orange. More important than identifying components, this stuff works. I put some on, and immediately, I felt an aura of creativity surround me, calming me and centering me for work. I’ve also anointed candles with this and used it in my tart burner. This is absolutely amazing stuff, and I was lucky to get most of a bottle after I tried an imp that was graciously given to me by Macha on the forums. This is one that as a writer, I want to stockpile.

Nine Muses

In the imp: sweet and sugary, but also herbal, and with a hint of citrus. Reminds me of lemon and sugar, with herbs I'm thinking lavender, rosemary, maybe bergamot too?

Wet on skin: this is a sweet, almost candy like citrus, like lemon sherbet, or lemongrass/verbena, with herbs…

Dry on skin: this smells lovely! Sweet citrus, possibly bergamot and lemon balm, with herbs-I'm not sure what herbs-maybe thyme, or rosemary, there may even be olive here? It smells very pleasant indeed. It's a nice, mind clearing scent, it seems to make me feel quite focused and calm inside. Now I need to see if the creative juices will start to flow…

After a while: it starts to get soapy as it dries down, this reminds me of the clean, 'clothes drying on the line' drydown of Catalyst, in fact. It seems to work though…I've been getting back to my arty projects, and continuing the ones I've been putting off for weeks, and not being distracted by little niggling things like I usually am.

Verdict: at first, this has a very pleasant, sugared lemon scent, with some herbs. On the skin, bergamot and a lemon scent come out, along with some warm herbs. It reminds me a little of Calliope (a blend named after one of the nine muses, funnily enough). The drydown is soapy though, not unpleasantly so, but I prefer the wet and just-dried scent. But then again, this is all about intent, not scent…and purpose wise, I think it works. I haven't done anything arty for some time, and I've been getting back to doing some of my old, unfinished projects on Photoshop again, and not being distracted from it. I also find that this scent makes me feel more calm and focused. I'd like to try this when getting back to drawing and sketching, and writing too. This one's a keeper!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I think grad. school applications count as creative work (essays!) so I am wearing a lot of this right now.

Very lemony-astringent, somewhat like the Theraflu lemon. It's a bit soapy too.

I am feeling a little muddle-headed (as I am wont to mid-afternoon) so I am inhaling this fresh aroma deeply and hoping it's effective.

Unfortunately, there's an undertone in here that smells of port-o-potty, and that's throwing me off a bit.

It dries down to be a bit floral, lemon. I'm not sure I am feeling more creative but I'll update here with the outcome.

at first: definitely medicinal and herby.

on: wow. strong. is that eucalyptus? menthol-y. lemongrass or something similar, which is good. i love lemongrass.

1.5 hours later: much sweeter. i can't really pick out the notes right now. a bit powdery.

2.5 hours later: vaguely floral and herbal.

overall: this is an interesting scent. i haven't tried it out for its intended purpose, but will update this once i do.

My problem isn't usually inspiration--its actually sitting down to write. So I tried this, and I tried Concentration, and I find the scents similiar in both scent and effect.

Lemony, yes, but not so much like lemon itself as some sort of lemony herb. I could see lemon verbena perhaps. Doesn't smell like lemon balm to me, but that could be because there is a strong astringent note that masks the lemon. Its sharp!

And um....yes, the porta potty thing? Smells a bit like cat-pee to me (and I don't mean to imply civet though some people describe civet in that way). Its not a pleasant scent to me, but when I rubbed it in my palms and inhale it, it does focus me.

Verdict? It works. Well. I put it on, keep inhaling when I start to pause in my writing, and I got right back to it.

I've got a couple of imps of this, which will probably do me, since I don't need a lot to get the effects. Great stuff!

eta: I decided a couple of imps weren't enough, so I bought a bottle, which I just got today. Holy shit! It is STRONG! Sniffing from the bottle cleared my sinuses right out with a very strong whiff of something like ammonia! Well, this just goes to prove the point so many of us have made: it doesn't have to smell good to work. Cuz it really, really works.

Edited by cuervosueno

Lately, some things have happened to me that have made my sensitivity to certain energies go through the roof. Because of it, I can tell you that these Muses are packin'. Even more, they deliver when it comes to inspiration.

I put it on my wrists so I could sniff it, even though the smell is not my favorite. It's not bad--just that sugary lemongrass, similar to what I get in Concentration and some the Excolo muses. It doesn't play nice with my chemistry, but for "creative inspiration in all the arts" I'll put up with just about anything.

I also anointed my third eye and rubbed somes into my temples, since my poor brain is burnt out and needs a boost. Almost immediately, the pressure around my head changed--a magnetic feeling, like an increase in energy--and my second chakra started acting up, simmering and popping like it was filled with Mexican jumping beans or something. It was a little disturbing, but that's that sensitivity thing I mentioned earlier, and just I'm trying to get used to it.

Maybe an hour later, I'm doing DDR in my living room, focusing on those stupid little arrows and no doubt looking like a complete dork, when I get a huge "out of the blue" flash, one that solved a plot problem I've been struggling with for months. I can't tell you what a relief that was. And I'm actually feeling pretty inspired about writing the scene, too.

Thanks ladies! Much love for the Muses: :P :D

In Bottle: Lemon mint

On Skin: This smells like floor cleaner or Lemon Pledge. Very artificial and like chemicals. So safe to say, I sadly don’t like it. This doesn’t inspire me to do anything but wash it off. I usually don’t like lemon scents and mixed with herbals like this one seems to be, I almost always get the Pledge effect. As it blends with my skin a bit, it turns a little more sweet and less Pledge-like thankfully. Now it’s quite pretty but nothing I’d really wear. I’ll have to try it in it’s intended use and see if it does inspire creativity. I can always use that since my life seems to always be full of the arts. Strong throw and mid to long wearlength.

This is going to be pretty much just a scent review for Nine Muses... since I dislike the scent too much to actually ever wear this for the intended purpose.

On me, this manages to remind me of floor cleanser and medicine at the same time. A mixture of sharp lemony citrus, menthol-y eucalyptus, and maybe some kind of mint... all wrapped with a heavy helping of soap.

This is strong, sharp, and soapy. Tons of throw. It's unpleasantly bitter and distracting on me, and doesn't sweeten up or calm down even after a half hour of wear :P I ended up washing this one off. It would be more of a distraction for me than an inspiration.

Nine Muses. Let me see how to sum up my opinion of this blend.

:D :D :D :P There we go.

The fragrance is awful, don't get me wrong. It's lemon Pledge in all of its Pledgely glory. But good lord, does it work. I use this blend whenever I want to compose, write, or do anything expressive.

Having said that, be sure you have the time frame when using this one. Once, I applied it when I only had a half-hour before a work shift, and ended up dashing back and forth from my computer keyboard to my piano keyboard when a new composition idea hit! Another time, I tried to use it when I was completely stressed out about a writing deadline, and was simply too focused on the deadline to be inspired by anything.

Used with visualisation and respect, this oil does wonderful things!

(I received a decant of NM in a circle of unreleased blends.)

This vial has been getting a real workout during November while I do NaNoWriMo! I put a drop on each palm, then rub them together while focusing upon my novel and my characters; I concentrate upon the ability I have to bring them to life through my imagination and my fingers. I use my hands to draw down inspiration from the nine muses, and pray to them for stamina and focus, and I push away doubt and clutter in my mind and in my surroundings - they're just distractions. Then I write.

And write. And write! lol I have been using it in conjunction with the bpal muse blends Erato and Calliope and I'm over 15K words just seven days in. Woot! Go me. :P

Scent-wise, it's lemony but with a kick of eucalyptus and maybe a little lavender? To be honest, I don't wear it as a perfume, but rather use it as a tool, so I can't speak much about throw and so forth. IT WORKS. I love it. This and Oshún will be my next big bottle purchases.

[/font]

Merged with existing review topic. --Shollin

Edited by Mattie

Nine Muses is the one TAL that I have been pining for... for at least a year. I've got strong psychological ties with creativity blends, and there are subtle differences when using them when doing something creative - Catalyst makes me lose track of time when working, for example, while Hymn to Pan gets me daydreaming of ideas. Nine Muses spoke to me the first time I heard about it - a little bit of everything. What I need right now is the blank state to turn into something brilliant, so that's the goal for today while working with NM.

In the bottle: lemon and eucalyptus. (A nice little zot! straight to the head that leaves my nose tingling.)

On skin: Eucalyptus, though not pure Vicks Vap-o-rub. The citrus evens it off a little. There's a trace of something green in there as well, a little herby, or maybe pine? It's sharp and goes straight to the head.

Now, to see if this sonofagun will help me out with my writing...

I have to agree with many others in saying Nine Muses is not for it's perfume value. But it's helped me get through many late night art assignments and I would not give it up for the world.

It's got a clash of smell and they seem to compete for the top notes. I don't get a cleaner smell, but it does smell medicinal and herbal.

But, I don't care if my dirty hands smell good, just as long as they're doing the job. :D

Love this one! :P

Jenn

Drydown is, whoa, Lemon Pledge! Strong and strident, and makes me want to wash it off. It brings back memories of cleaning.

However, something pleasantly floral comes out after twenty minutes and Nine Muses turns light and citrus-y floral. I want to say lemon verbena with wildflowers.

Nine Muses went a little powdery after four hours. Still good, but fading. I'm not sure if it was inspirational, but I did enjoy it.

In the bottle, this smells of power. I found it a comforting and relaxing scent. Last night, I anointed my forehead and heart with dabs of it to try and jump-start my creativity.

Nearly all the magickal blends smell exactly the same to me - a peculiar herbal blend - and Nine Muses was no exception. This oil also had a slightly menthol-y note. It enveloped me like a cloud while I slept, and I woke up feeling like I was ready to make a start on some more short stories. I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of this oil.

Edited by harmonyfb

Scent-wise, Nine Muses is all astringent lemon to me. Not unpleasant, but nothing to call out to me.

But action-wise... I've been struggling with writer's block for a year and a half. I dabbed a little of this on today and wrote a (admittedly rather short) smutfic in less than 12 hours.

:P :D :D :)

I never want to be without this one in my box of tricks.

I was gifted with a partial bottle of this by a generous Lycanthrope. =)

Scent-wise, it is bergamot and mint...and possibly lavender? I'm not certain. There's definitely some citrus in this.

Workwise, when I sniffed the bottle I felt my brain waking up(and my sinuses clearing, too). This is a very awake and get moving type scent.

The first time I tried this, I didn't think it really worked. I applied it and set to work on some exercises in order to write some good poetry. I didn't find it particularly productive. I do have theories about why - the medication I was on at the time dulled me greatly and I wasn't really able to experience much.

However, recently, I attended a poetry workshop and despite being extremely tired, was on fire - not so much for my own writing, but felt that I gave myself fully to providing constructive criticism on everyone's poems (there were eight of us). It was a fantastic feeling, just being in the lit analytical 'zone'.

As for its scent, it's very lemony, to my nose. But because these blends have specific purposes, I tend not to focus so much on the scent and whether or not it's to my liking - unless it were headache-inducing, which this is not.

I need to start using my bottle more often.

trying this on my skin to get a feel for the scent. i am a painter, and also enjoy writing, and i really need some creative inspiration lately. i think what i'm smelling is lemongrass and ylang ylang? or some other white floral. it has a very medicinal scent to it, and it's very lemony and herbal. i could see how this could be uplifting but focusing at the same time...can't wait to try it soon for its intended purpose!