Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The grey and ghostly flower that fills the fields of Hades.

Wow... I can't believe I've never reviewed this scent before, as it's become one of my favorites since ordering an imp of it a couple of orders ago, especially as it's one of those ones that has a cool personal story attached to it.

A couple of years ago, my boyfriend and I had fallen upon some particularly hard times and were basically homeless, for all intents and purposes. We wound up squatting in a portion of a house that was basically under construction due to the charity of an aquaintance who was allowing us to crash there while we got back on our feet. Had it not been for that person, we would have been living in our car or on the streets. We had electricity and internet access (thank you wireless), but no running water, stove, or many other basic necessities. (Thanks to the electricity and a lot of Wet Wipes, you never would have known it from looking at us though.)

Despite everything that it lacked, the place did have this wonderful backyard that was completely overgrown with wildflowers and tall grass. There was one flower in particular that I just adored, both because of it's purple color and it's delicious scent. I had no idea what it was, although I have since figured it out, so I named it "asphodel" at the time, after the mythical flower of the Elysian Fields that also inspired this scent. (This was way before my BPAL days, so I didn't even know of this blend.) I cut it by the handful and stuck them in soda cans filled with water all over the house because I adored the smell so much. This is a picture my boyfriend took of me standing outside in it where it grew in the spring.

Anyways, we're long out of that situation, but I'd been longing for a scent that smelled similar to the way those flowers did as they brought me so much joy at a time when there wasn't much to be joyful about, as you can see from the picture. When I saw this in the Rappaccini's Garden section, I couldn't resist trying it, and much to my great delight, it smells so exactly like what I was looking for, and don't even get me started on how tickled I am that Beth thought such a scent embodied the concept of asphodel as well.

As a blend, I smell many things in it... violets for one, and freesia as well (which my "asphodel" always reminded me of scent-wise). It's definitely a floral floral, but it's light and wistful as opposed to heavy-handed. There is some green note languishing in the background that I can't quite put my finger on as well, but it's lovely. Asphodel is one of my favorite "thoughtful" scents, but it's also very pretty and feminine, so it's quickly become something of an "everyday" one for me as well. This one gets an A+ from me, both for what it is in itself and for what it is to me personally. Thank you so much for making this Beth! :P This is a very special scent for me, as it reminds me that no matter how awful things might seem at any given time, there is always something beautiful to bring brightness to your days if you're of a mind to allow it to, and that's a lesson I never want to forget. Edited by Shollin

I got this as a frimp and it was love at first sniff. It reminds me of Amsterdam, without the grass and water.

In the bottle: it smells like wet spring flowers, maybe daffodil? snow drop? almost tulip but not quite. It smells like the Body Shop Daffodil Bathmilk.

On me it turns into a sweet violet and daffodil (I've decided it's daffodil). I love love love love it.

In the imp: smells grassy and sweet. Reminds me of something from when I was a kid, but I can't quite place it. On skin: some familiar floral comes out, along with the grassy scent. I can't place what it is, and it's driving me crazy! After about an hour or so the original scent goes away and I'm left with a powdery daffodil type scent. All in all, this scent is very pretty, I like it the most during the grassy stage, but the daffodil stage is quite lovely too and I am considering purchasing a bottle for springtime use.

This is a light, dry floral -- not overwhelmingly sweet as many florals can be, but unmistably flowery nonetheless. I can get "grey and ghostly" from it, definitely... It's got a sort of wispy, ethereal quality, a bit like Ouija, though less pretty than that one.

It's also, however, not terribly interesting. There's nothing particularly bad about it; it's just sort of... there. Maybe if I was more of a floral fan I'd like it better...

On drydown, it shifts into a sort of generic "perfumey" scent.

Grade: C

It is very flowery but unfortunately very soapy too. Not working for me at all. the soap is overpowering the flowers.

In the imp: Light, dry floral. Faintly purple and juicy.

Wet/Drydown: Mmm… I know I’ve smelled this, but I can’t place it! It smells very natural, like the actual plant/flower that I can’t name. It’s gentle but not faint, dry but juicy/sappy, floral but green. There’s a watery/dewy note that’s similar to the one in Moon Rose. Absolutely gorgeous and natural. I love it.

Dry: An absolutely wonderful light floral. A definite keeper, possibly a big bottle purchase.

Love love love love love Asphodel!

For being a flower in Hades, this is so light and pretty. In the bottle, the oil is so light it's barely sniffable. Once applied, a white flower pops out, and then gently begins subduing. This truly is a ghastly flower, whispy and sweet. I feel apprehension when I smell this... maybe I'm just imagining it, but it smells creepy. I imagine a tattered white dress in someone's attic, full of mystery. Silly, maybe, but white/grey scents always spring imagery on me.

All in all, this is light, simple, pretty, and haunting. Reminds me of Darkness minus the opium. I like it and will use my imp, but it's almost too barely-there for me to want a bottle.

In vial: clean light florals, a touch of creaminess, and cold at the same time.

On skin: Oh this is lovely. Creamy fresh floral, reminds me a bit of jasmine.

Drydown: Sweet, pure, and creamy, tending towards soapy. I wish it stayed at the wet stage!

Something about this is very deathly and very orchidish. It reminds me of the scent of Christmas lilies when they are still fresh. I love it because I adore those strong orchid-type scents. I also like that this is fresh without being too ‘green’ or ‘herbal’ which usually doesn’t work so well on me. I don’t mind a bit of green, which this does have making the composition nice and ferny. It had excellent staying power and I could still smell it slightly the morning after applying it late last night.

In the imp: light, fruity pear smelling floral

On Skin: Lily-like floral, with a touch of soapyness. Reminds me alot ot Sea of Glass

On Drydown: Sea of Glass + linen

Verdict: I wish it smelled like a fruity pear floral most of the time. However, I get a more ghostly and gray version of Sea of Glass with a linen undercurrent to it. Pretty... but not my personal cup of tea.

To me, Asphodel is straight plumeria. Just gorgeous! I smell like I'm back in Hawaii, sitting in my backyard and smelling the plumeria tree. It's a very light, summery scent. I may have to get a bottle of this.

It's like Possion d'Avril but more blended. It's more blended less clean/crisp flowery scent. With gardenia?

Not a bad scent but not a favorite

Asphodel

bright pale yellow oil

Imp: A clean, sweet transparent floral scent.

Skin: It turned a wee bit dusty, despite the clear smell from the Imp. I'm guessing theres a type of lily in it, perhaps even a musk?

Its a light, sweet, soft floral that is heavier than a regular white bouquet. "Old babypowder" is the image I get.

Its not a morpher, it stays the same till the end.

Its pretty, I can't say much else.

In the bottle: a light green herbal.

Wet: still a green herbal, but the plant has bloomed and it sweetens up a bit. Still fresh and lovely.

Dry down: green herbal the blooms have died and it has a salty bitter tang to it now. Really really bitter and salty and really really nasty on my skin. :D

30 minutes: salty bitter tang lasted too long, and this turned back into a green herbal.

Conclusion: I wanted to love Asphodel, unfortunately my skin had other ideas. :P

Rating 1-5: 2.5

Damn internet ate my first review >.< Again, in summary:

In the imp, it's fresh and cool. Wet on me, it's a soft, dewy flower, a little bit herbal, which dries to a slightly soapy, creamy/musky floral.

I like the initial stages better than the drydown, which is less unique, but I'll keep it and try wearing it again.

ETA: And then, in 15 minutes, it's gone. What the heck? *applies again*

Edited by Baitu

Light florals with a white and purple "tone" - smells like lily and gardenia in there to me, which are soapy and too heady on me, respectively. I want to like this one, but like most florals, it just doesn't work with my chemistry or tastes. It unfortunately goes a bit bitter green on me in the drydown also.

Review

In the bottle: Wow It’s neat in the bottle. Smells like a bunch of flowers and their green stems exploded.

Wet: Violets! I smell violets! And wisteria. And lilac, definitely lilac. Daffodils. And definitely dandelion stems. Wow how interesting.

Dry dandelion stems and daffodils.

Verdict: I like this lots. Smells very springy to me. Not really ghosty. More like walk in the park during the spring when the flowers are wet or shoving my nose into a boquet of flowers with all soft wet green stems. Packing it away til the spring (I’m reviewing in the autumn)

Asphodel

A light, fresh floral, modest and delicate. I can't quite decide which flower it could be, but I love how simple this blend is. Unassumingly lovely.

[3 - Like] A feminine floral that doesn't take charge.

ASPHODEL:

Smells like very early Spring in my Mother's garden. Very green. I am thinking of crocuses and daffodils and maybe lily, but I could be wrong. I know it has to be one or several of the flowers she grew.

In the imp. Asphodel is light, green, almost innocently floral. I picture wee springtime flowers. Upon initial application, it's green with a bit of a floral scent that I associate with bubble bath aromas when I was a little girl.

Drydown sends this scent into a momentary flare-up of florals, but that's typical of my body's reaction to florals. It calms down rather quickly, and while I still smell green and floral aromas, I'm also getting a dusty sort of dryness, and a floral-herbal smell that reminds me a lot of what I smell when I'm in the garden and brush past my artemisa plant. And since artemisia is a grayish-green plant, that makes sense. The smell of mugwort also comes to mind, and mugwort is in the artemsia family...so I'm going to imagine there's artemisia/mugwort in this scent somewhere. And the longer it's on me, the spicier it gets...almost a bit woody. Whatever it is that's underneath the inital impression of green florals, it certainly gives this scent a bit of melancholy and brooding, evoking the inspiration of this scent.

For someone who loves flowers and loves to grow flowers, I can't wear floral scents especially well, but I think Asphodel is a masterful creation. I had an absolute riot trying to figure out what was in it, and it has me stumped. I think it would certainly please people who like more cool, delicate florals and some of the drier, herbal-woody blends, like Hamadryad.

Edited by valentina

Received this one as a frimp. I tried twice, once with a rather large quantity of oil; I'm just not smelling anything.

I definitely didn't get a bad imp--it works very well on my friend, and I can smell something pale and floral in the imp. It's just not coming out on me at all.

Love and coffee,

Frances

Well. I got this one for the name, in an imp pack of themed scents (Asphodel, Hades, Persephone, Iambe, Hymn to Proserpine and Lampades) to 'congratulate' myself on finishing NaNoWriMo this year. Asphodel was/is the name of my "novel."

In the imp, it's a clear, green floral. I like clear green florals!

On my skin, it's the same clear, green indefinable floral. It smells a lot like The Ghost to me, actually.

This changes very little on me, other than the throw getting better, and it getting sweeter. This is early-spring flowers, on me, which compose some of my favourite blends. It is Persephone as she first captured Hades' heart, flower-wreathed, unassumingly lovely and feminine, young and full of light and spring, just a teeny bit of something darker lurking underneath.

I have always thought that Hades first planted the fields of asphodel to make Persephone happy, in her honor, to bring a little bit of the springtime she so loved to the dark, cold Underworld. This scent is perfect for that idea, and for that, I love it - I will definitely need a bottle of it before it goes away.

I'm not fond of florals and I knew I wouldn't like Asphodel even when I ordered the imp, but it has the best little one-liner description of any bpal oil and I also know it will be discontinued next month.

It falls very much in line with a a straight forward floral. Smells like the heart of summer, girls having fun. I'm not sure exactly which flower is at play here but Asphodel smells a lot like stargazer lilies. Too vanilla to be sexy and too common to be invigorating. I can't see too much appeal here.

imp: faint, yet sharp, silvery white flowers.

wet: i'm wondering if this has some sort of rose among it's notes because it's going all soapy awful on me...

dry: well the soapiness fades after a bit but still... this is probably not for me...

This starts better than it ends. At first, it's a pastel floral with a gentle, green center. Very nice, but somehow the green turns to a stemmy, slightly woody thing and it gets a bit of a bite to it. On the fence, not sure if I should order this before the great discon sweep.