Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Amber, saffron and bergamot with mandarin, nutmeg, Bulgar rose, musk and sandalwood.

In the bottle, Baghdad is a warm, sensual incensy night in a hot desert. Unfortunately, on my skin it smells much like in the bottle except with a sharp green tinge. I didn't realize there were roses in this! As it dries, it's a muddled spicy green mess. Sadness.

In imp: Light spices and woods, gently sweet.

On skin: Light, dry, warm and gently sweet, with a bit of powder. All the notes are working together to make a well-blended and rounded scent, and nothing dominates. (At least, not that I can tell!) I think the powder/dustiness is from amber, the dryness from sandalwood, the glowing warmth and depth from musk, and everything else adds a spicy, sweet fragrance. Definitely evokes an exotic desert city of spices and sand. Colour impression is a warm peach-gold-amber-rose, like a rosy desert sunset.

Verdict: Amazing. (Yep, in bold letters.) An absolutely gorgeous spicy/incense/exotic blend, one of my top five and a signature scent. I'm so glad this is in the GC, and I foresee a bottle purchase eventually.

for me, this was initially mostly rose and amber and musk, but rather than being an overly sweet powder scent, as bpal's rose&amber blends are wont to do on me, the musk in this just unfurled across my skin, lifting the overall scent from potential dud to something a little more like heaven. still, i was somewhat disappointed going in, because i wasn't getting any of the exotic middle eastern spiciness that so many other reviewers have experienced, and that (along with the rose) is what i anticipated most with this one! but oh. after about 15-20 minutes, the most amazing blend of sandalwood and rose and spices enveloped me. the spice is subtle but it's there, and after a little while the amber retreated a fair bit also, which is good(!) since, as i said, it is mostly a powder on me, anyway.

if i have any complaints, it's that i'd like to get a little more rose & spice (&kick that middle eastern feel that i love into high gear!), but as it is this is an overall beautiful oil that i feel is definitely very me. i don't know if it's reached bottle status for me yet? but i am definitely keeping&using up this little imp. :wub2:

ETA; after a little more time, i'm thinking there's just a little too much amber & not enough rose and spice in this one. it's a beautiful oil, and there are elements that are making me want to keep the imp, at least, but that powdery thing just keeps coming back! and while i don't exactly mind it, i have SO many other bpal rose blends with that same amber/powder note, so. i'm going to have to think on this one for a while . . .

Edited by undream

In the imp: Mmmm, hot and dusty! Definitely smelling the cedarwood, musk, and spices.

Wet, on me: Pretty much the same as in the imp, with maybe a hint of rose.

Dry, on me: Warm, sensual, spicy, dusty. Wonderful! I can definitely smell the rose, but it doesn't overpower any of the other notes - it's very nice (I'm not a fan of strong rose notes). This is definitely a keeper!

Amber and bulgar rose are strongest to me. This has an overall impression of "old" - and not in a good way. Somewhat musty.

Wet: The only note that gets lost on me is the nutmeg. Definitely reminiscent of middle eastern markets I've visited, so nice memories flooding right now. Saffron and amber together are so dreamy. The rose reminds me of the rose essence and waters that I could find at said markets. Mixed with the spices this is wonderfully mysterious.

Drydown: more warmth develops, which is nice. The rose backs off a bit (thanks!) I had prepared myself for the possibility that it could turn into acrid spice hell but that didn't happen! yay! Just a warm spicy, non-overpowering rose combination.

In the bottle: This is almost vanilla-y at first sniff, and is that something lemon? Must be the musk and sandalwood and the saffron I'm smelling, respectively. Sharper than I expected, hmm.

On skin: Still something sharp, not sure what it is, but there's an incensey smell coming through that I'm liking more and more.

On drydown: This mellows out, and as it does, more and more of the incensey smell comes through. The amber's still detectable and just vaguely powdery, though not horribly so. The sandalwood and rose are quietly there, and the musk is noticeable now that I *cough* reread the description *cough* and remember to sniff for it. This doesn't go super strong on me, which I don't mind, as I get the feeling that if it did, the powdery hint from the amber might start to bug me. I'm getting mostly vanilla-y musk and soft sandalwood/rose here, but not overpoweringly so.

I like this one. I can wear it to work and not overwhelm anyone, but still notice a *sniff* mmm, there's that pretty scent whenever my arm is near my face. I may not get a bottle, but I'll definitely enjoy the imp. I may also point my mother in this direction, as the soft musk in here smells more than a little like a perfume she wears. :)

Edited by Chanter

To me this is a sandalwoody blend with a touch of rose beneath a mildly pepperminty masculine cologne - something Brut-like and popular in the 1980s. This cologne is sweet but generic, but that's by no means all that is going on in this. You can smell dry warm winds too, and wet tobacco. In placing them all together, I do imagine Baghdad may smell like this, in pockets - in the alcoves of drinking establishments or writing rooms. The saffron is apparent when you look for it - I recognise it from L'Artisan's Safran Troublant, but that is more gourmand, milky and feminine.

It dries down to be very dry in feel - powdery. The powder is dense but slightly bitter as well as sweet. For me, I do love sandalwood in fragrances, but I'll be sticking with Diptyque's Tam Tao; this is a touch too nose-tickling and sour to be a true keeper. No doubt I'll be using the imp I have for travels to the East in my mind - it's incredibly evocative.

3.2/5

Edited by girlcalledmoment

This reminds me of Rakshasa, it's mostly rose and sandalwood on me thankfully not as much rose as Rakshasa has. Out of the two I think I like this one better.

In the frimp: Woods and incense.

Wet: The light woods dusted with saffron, nutmeg, and something my nose interprets as incense.

The dry-down: This scent does not morph much. At a later stage I do get faint hints of the rose and the musk. Mostly, though, it's still the light woods with incense.

At first it was sort of horrifying. In the imp it smells rose and sandalwood. On my skin, it turned instantly to baby powder. Fortunately, a few minutes later that has morphed back to rose and sandalwood, but not the sweet rose of the bottle, but a dry, incensey scent.

Not my bag, as it's quite feminine, but I know somebody who will probably love it.

I REALLY want to like this but this smells very much like old lady perfume to my nose. It reminds me strongly of the times my grandmother would bring me over to her retirement building to visit with her and her friends. This is what their perfumes smelled like. While I like the memories this blend brings back, I don't want to wear "old lady" perfume! :lol: I wish I had the sexy, sensual, exotic impressions that other people mentioned in their reviews.

Although, I suppose I wouldn't mind wearing this at home just for the nice cozy feelings it brings up.

I love a lot of these notes, so I thought this blend would be a 'no brainer'. Wet, very medicinal, as in a herbal remedy, but someone cleaned the floors close by. Dry, well, quite dry smelling and incensey. Where's my amber? This kind of reminds me of 'And There Was a Great Cry in Egypt', that same dryness with the saffron and desert vibe. After, a bit, the rose comes out and it amps, as rose typically does. So this ends up being mostly rose with a touch of medicinal dryness. Not for me, but I'll keep the imp to see if it improves with age.

Wet: Dry woods evocative of a hot desert breeze across golden dunes.

Dry: More of the rose, amber, and spice slip in, warming up the blend. Instead of desolate dryness a market there's a caravan surrounding an oasis, swirling robes and sandaled tan feet setting up an impromptu market, bringing a bit of civilization out in the middle of nowhere. Baghdad gets stronger as it dries, coaxing buyers that yes, the trip out there is worth it. It never gets cloying, though I would recommend dabbing over slathering.

Overall: Where Morocco is more sumptuous and decadent with its exotic spices, Baghdad is drier and just a tad stronger. The sandalwood and rose are strongest on my skin, with the amber and musk rounding out the blend and preventing it from being bone dry. Nutmeg and saffron lends a spicy kick to the blend, but not in a spice rack kind of way, more like I-got-this-exquisite-cloth-from-a-hidden-desert-market kind of way. The bergamot and mandarin are so well blended that while it's difficult to pick them out, I know they're there. Wonderful blend, I'll definitely be adding this to my bottle list!

Edited by thatbrownelf

In the bottle: amber, bergamot, Bulgar Rose and musk. Perhaps a smidge of sandalwood in the background. Rich, not sickly sweet, slightly heady. Incense-like.

On me: Amber, bergamot, and sandalwood. No sweetness at all (yay!). A little woody. Somewhat resinous. Probably the amber.

Dry: Woody, very slight impression of pine amongst the bergamot and amber. I can’t pick out anything else right now.

Later: Lost the woodiness and now back to amber and bergamot. I think the sweetness is the rose and saffron, but I can’t be sure. Musk is picking up again, giving it a richer tone, keeping the sweetness from becoming overwhelming. Sandalwood is there, but just barely.

Much later: Has mellowed to a warm, rich, spicy mix. No one note can be picked out now.

I like it a lot, but don’t know if I want a whole bottle of this. Will stick to imps until I decide. It morphs too frequently for everyday use as a perfume, but is lovely for a bath oil.

Can I please love this rose for once?

Imp: Cedar or teak. Very sharp, acrid, wooden, strong. Also sour and tart, perhaps bergamot and nutmeg.

Wet: Bergamot, rose and sandalwood - three key ingredients of Nivea lotion. And it really smells like it. It's more fruity, though, because of the mandarin and more tart because of the nutmeg and/or saffron.

Dry: Sandelwood is very prominent in this scent. It's spicy, creamy bur doesn't have a strong throw. Rose shines through faintly.. but, all in all, a light scent that seems a bit imbalanced.

Edited by Honey

This is my first BPAL, so please be gentle if my review leaves something to be desired. :)

In the imp it was hard to isolate any particular smell, maybe because I got this with three other imps in a plastic bag that, when I opened it, already had a pretty strong aroma of some/all the oils blended.

When it was wet, I smelled mostly sandalwood followed by what I think was bergamot and spice (I guess that would be the nutmeg). As it dried the amber and musk began emerging, along with perhaps a bit of saffron. I'm not sure I've smelled any mandarin, but a bit less than two hours later the lingering scents are sandalwood, amber, musk, and a hint of rose.

I should note that at first I put on so little that it seemed like it was going to vanish in less than an hour, so I unwisely dabbed on what I thought was only a little more. My husband could smell it from across the room, which is what I don't want, and I started to get a headache. It's mellowed out considerably now, but this is one I'll have to use sparingly.

This is the imp I was looking forward to the most out of what I bought and Florence was what I expected not to like too much. Now that I've smelled all four of the imps I bought, I think this might actually end up being my least favourite. It's nice, but I'll have to try it again and use less of it.

ETA: A week later, I'm trying it again and have used MUCH less of it. Now that it's dry, amber and sandalwood are predominant (I seem to amp them) but it's also musky and spicy. So far, it's a much more pleasant experience.

Edited by boomtownrat

In the imp: musky sweet (rose) woodiness. Very pretty.

Wet: The first sniff was pure rose, second sniff, it's sort of a green spice scent. I'm thinking that that's the bergamot and the nutmeg meshed together.

As thie dries, I can pick out the saffron and the mandarin as well. The sandalwood and rose are predominating again. The amber is coming through and giving me a heap of baby powder, but the other notes are keeping it in check enough for me to no longer want to wear it though.

Ultimately, it's nice, but I don't think I'm going to be needing more than the imp I have.

In the vial: Sharp, warm, slightly medicinal; I feel like I should be able to name the note, but can't.

On me: Powdery amber and rose as it hits the skinwhich does not bode well, as my skin loves rose a bit too much. As it dries down, there's a medicinal edgeperhaps bergamot, but more herbal and dry. It casts a sharp, herbal shadow over an otherwise traditional spectrum of amber and rose accompanied by musk and sandalwood, and there's also a touch of warmth in the saffron. Until this point the rose stays in check, but post-drydown it peers its head up and then there's no stopping it: next it's a powdery, tame rose with a backing of herbs and warmth; then it grows into rose, rose, just rose, fleshy and red and especially potent in the throw.

Verdict: Blame my skin, which almost always amps rose to terrifying levels. What Bagdad is until that happens is only okay, but I honestly can't judge the true nature of this scent. This is one for the swaps.

Bottle: Spicy-warm-nutmeg, like a candle shop.

Wet: Nutmeg is dominant for me; I can sense sandalwood but am not getting any other notes at all. This is the kind of smell I'd *love* in a candle, not so much on my skin. It's spicy-foody, weirdly enough, which is totally not what I was expecting.

Dry: Cinnamon red hots. Huh. Odd. Swap pile.

Edited by curlsandpearls

imp: musky, dry wood and nutmeg and a few spices that I am unable to isolate and name.

dry: warm lovely but dry spices! This is an almost dusty smell. Sandlewood makes an appearance. I don't smell any rose (yet).

drydown: uh oh it's becoming powdery! I hope this stage goes away soon. It's probably the amber. And I am starting to smell rose! :ack: Sometimes it works on me and other times it goes all babypowder.

to the swaps, unfortunately.

In the imp: Spicy, woodsy citrus.

Wet: Spiced bergamot with a bit of rose. This is a lot like Libertine.

Dry: Powdery rose, all over the place. Bah humbug!

In the Imp (ITI): Dusty musk, sandalwood and nutmeg emerge first. Hints of bergamot begin to overpower the subtlety of the previous scents on second sniff.

Wet: Think and sumptuous amber hefty swaths of saffron musk and rose. Lovely!

Dry: More amber and musk than anything else. That’s too bad as I had such high hopes.

In the imp, I get something astringent, medicinal. Wet, it's creamy, spicy, and resinous. I am loving it... wait... there's the damn rose. Amping. Amping. All I get is rose. DAMN. After it dries down quite a bit I get that amazing spicy, resinous blend back. Stupid rose has to go and ruin another blend for me. You'd think I'd just give up the moment I see "rose" :lol:

In the bottle: Musk, amber, and sandalwood are definitely the dominant notes, but they blend so nicely.

Wet: O HAI MUSK. And wow is the sandalwood overpowering. No rose, bergamot, saffron, nutmeg or mandarin yet. I hope some of those notes come out as it dries.

Drying: I think I can smell a bit of the rose now; not surprising, as my skin amps florals. The nutmeg is starting to emerge too, but the dominant notes are still sandalwood and musk.

Dry: The musk and sandalwood have calmed down, and I can smell the rose now. The nutmeg is there and the bergamot is quietly lurking in the background, but I think my skin ate the saffron and mandarin. It smells more blended than the "here's a couple notes hanging out on my wrists" vibe I was getting when I first put it on. Not my favorite scent, but definitely good for a certain mood.