Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dulci

The Best BPAL scents for young girls through teenagers

thanks guys. keep the recs coming in.

abit ot here. i receievd all my imps today! so happy. one problem though, how to i open the imp without spilling half a bottle on my fingers and the other half on the outside of the imp bottle? also how do you apply? thge wand is pretty much useless. oil loves the wand but it doesnt love me enough to get off the wand. i dont want to swipe it across my wrists. i'm scared that i will contaminate the oil. and how much oil to apply so that i wont drown the pple next to me?

thanks guys. keep the recs coming in.

abit ot here. i receievd all my imps today! so happy. one problem though, how to i open the imp without spilling half a bottle on my fingers and the other half on the outside of the imp bottle? also how do you apply? thge wand is pretty much useless. oil loves the wand but it doesnt love me enough to get off the wand. i dont want to swipe it across my wrists. i'm scared that i will contaminate the oil. and how much oil to apply so that i wont drown the pple next to me?

Hold the vial still and work the cap slowly back and forth until it comes free.

I just swipe on my wrist - if your skin is clean, there shouldn't be that big a problem. :P

When looking for a scent for a teenaged girl, I wouldn't automatically go for light, innocent oils unless the personality, not age, of the recipient suggests lightness and innocence.

I'm fifteen, but I don't often like 'teen' styles in clothing, accessories, or anything, really. My list of perfumes to try (I don't actually have any yet – one teen thing about me is how broke I am!) includes Harlot, Lust, O, Whip, and Rapture, and I don't see any reason why these 'dark' and 'sexual' scents wouldn't suit me fine. All anyone will notice is that I smell good, not that I'm wearing a 'sexy' scent. Of course, it would probably be weird and awkward to get a scent with a name like Harlot from one's mother. :P So I understand your request.

But my point, anyway, is that personality and not age is the biggest consideration. From what you've said about your daughter's personality, I'd recommend something with both floral and spice notes, to both reassure her and give her confidence, but I can't recommend anything specific because, as I said, I haven't actually smelled them.

(And because I know someone will wonder, yes I am fifteen, yes I do have O on my list as I mentioned above, and yes I have read the book. :D )

My baby sister was 17 when I first starting enabling her, and she wanted Jailbait, Glitter, and Lolita--sardonic wenchling that she is. :D I was a serious, introverted teen (if you can believe it now!) and would have loved the literary blends with a wistful quality--Lady of Shalott, Ophelia, and Juliet would have been my choices, and Havisham if I could get it. I believe every Goth teen should have some Black Rose. :P

I really like the idea of Katharina on a young lady. I think Persephone has a candy-ish quality that makes the rose appealing and more "young". As a teen, I wore a lot of more sinister, dramatic scents like CoCo Chanel, LuLu, Shalimar and Opium. For the future femme fatale just trying on her role, I think Sin (aged, as it gets smoother with age) or Dracul would be great.

Christmas shopping for my maternal outlet - a 9 year old girl (junior bridesmaid from my wedding in July) who's vastly intrigued by my box of BPAL. Since she's not really got a mother figure in her life (huge backstory to this, but anyway..), I'm pretty much her source of introduction to the "girlie" things in life.

After her going through my BPAL box on the day of the wedding, and her requests to get to pick a scent when she comes to visit, I've decided she needs some of her own. My list of possibles include Alice, Desdemona, Juliet, Katharina, Antique Lace, Dana O'Shee, Sudha Segara, and Zephyr, but none's really hitting just the right note.

Other bits of possibly useful info: 9, rising 10 (please nothing that really falls into the sexy category), Leo, and hardheaded as all get out. Things she's tried from my box that she likes: Antique Lace and Alice, but she says they're too pretty to wear every day. I was contemplating Katharina, based on the "willful" description. :P

Help?

~Jen

9, rising 10 (please nothing that really falls into the sexy category), Leo

How about The Lion, Bastet, Bengal, and/or Lyonesse in honor of her Leo-ness?

Emma will be 10 in Dec - her stash:

Asphodel

Katharina

The Unicorn

Kostnice

White Rabbit

Antique Lace

Baneberry

Black Opal

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

Alice

Titania

Black Forest

Roadhouse (which smells all dandelion, no booze both on her and her brother)

Queen Mab

Euphrosyne

Perhaps an all-Wonderland (with a copy of the book!) or all-Rappacini 6-imp collection might be a fun themed selection, since you aren't as likely to run into the sort of sexy scents you will find in Love Potions...

edited to add: Emma is a Capricorn, but hard-headed and a drama queen :P and rather immature for her age (ADHD). Her runaway fave is Queen Mab followed closely by Black Forest.

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

Perhaps an all-Wonderland (with a copy of the book!) or all-Rappacini 6-imp collection might be a fun themed selection

What a great idea! Although if you give her such an awesome gift (maybe including Through the Looking Glass as well), be prepared for eternal devotion. That would have totally blown me away at that age! Hmmm, or at any age :P

Oh what a great idea, Juniperus Intrepidus!

She loves reading, and after the Wizard of Oz books and the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Great Glass Elevator for her brithday, I can continue to encourage her.

Thank you so much! :P

~Jen

I wrote a review of Hamadryad that tells how perfectly it suits my 8 year old daughter. It is really fae-like on her, while on me, it's too sharp. I'm finding that BPAL makes for a wonderful mother-daughter experience!

My soon-to-be eleven year old daughter just loves my BPALs.

Her middle name is Victoria, and I'm wondering if it would be too worldly for her or not. If not, I thought I would buy her her very own bottle for her birthday.

She really likes Midway Resurrected, and Yemaya, and Sea of Tranquillity. She loves the smell of Bordello on me but I won't let her wear it because her friends ask her the names of stuff. Obviously I won't put her in the sexy musky scents either. She's not really the light floral personality type however, even at eleven.

This is also the child I trained to like sushi and Oysters Rockefeller. Fortunately her brother likes only Axe cologne and hot dogs, or my family would be in the poorhouse.

I found Victoria to be a very pretty and nicely balanced rose and lily scent with a nice touch of vanilla musk. If she likes those notes, she might enjoy it. I don't think it would be too mature of a scent for an 11 year old.

I found Victoria to be a very pretty and nicely balanced rose and lily scent with a nice touch of vanilla musk. If she likes those notes, she might enjoy it. I don't think it would be too mature of a scent for an 11 year old.

I will have to ask Mademoiselle if she likes rose scents. She might not. Or just let her use one of my roses (Madeline) and see if she likes that, so as not to spoil the surprise.

One I love for a little girl is Jester. I think the dominant note is huckleberry, and it's very sweet and pretty. :P

I think Victoria would be lovely on an 11 year old girl - my niece just turned 13 and I would have had no qualms about giving it to her or her stepsister (who is 6 months younger) within the past 2 years or so.

I think there are lots of Mad Tea Party recs in this thread as well as in the one for "very young children" and I definitely agree - there are tons of good ones in that category for young BPALers. There are some lovely light notes to help train sensitive noses, some sweet notes to appeal to kids (and lots of us never outgrow those), lots of citrus which I think is one of the most universally appealing families - and you have the added advantage of not having to explain what a Sacred Whore is. :P

The Unicorn, Alice, Tweedledum & Tweedledee and Queen of Hearts strike me as scents that would be especially nice on a young lady who doesn't need to explore the worlds of red musk and patchouli just yet.

I myself am still a teenager, and my tastes run the gamut, though I lean towards sweeter, fruity/foody/some floral scents most times. What you choose for her is dependent on her personality and how she'd like to project herself, I think.

I only have eight scents as of now, and here would be how I'd categorize them.

A fun, fruity scent that might suit for an effervescent girl (think Escada's Rockin' Rio, or sugary candied fruits) would be Swank. I like that for when I want to be bubbly and less serious.

A calmer, green herbal that might suit a "tree-hugger" or tomboy who hates "smelling like perfume" is Envy; I like this for an everyday, low-key sort of attitude. Similar to that is Kumiho (similar to the sharp scent of ckOne at first that mellows later), but a little more flowery/girly than Envy, bordering on soapy. Envy is much more herbal than Kumiho.

If woodsy is more her thing, then Vinland is nice - it starts out very woodsy and mossy then becomse a little more like berries or fruits. But it does smell a little like some air fresheners...

I definitely think that Persephone, Urania and London are too full-bodied and mature sort of scents for teenagers in most cases, since they're full-on feminine. Persephone is for a girl reeking of charisma who dresses to the nines and is proud of it; London for the romantic who likes the smell of real roses; and Urania for the dreamer who enjoys a soft, complex white floral, one that, like her personality, you'd have to get closer to in order to really understand it.

Again, it really depends on her tastes...and also, my opinion is probably not the most informed. I'm just going off of what I currently posses and have smelled.

I hope this helps some~