Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Midway

A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

In the bottle: Sweet, painfully so, so much that I can't pick out any notes. Like eating a packet of NutraSweet.

Wet: There's the funnel cake, with a huge dose of caramel and a slight hint of salt. I want to eat my arm.

Drying: It's doing something weird; not only is the oil drying, but so is the scent.

Dry 20 min: Oh. My. Gods. I am in absolute love. Somehow it's developed that same dry musty scent that I can't get enough of from Miskatonic University, while still retaining that sweet cornucopia of yumminess. Why did I not order more than one bottle?! Then again, the decant I tried didn't do this; I may just have lucked out with this batch!

Dry a few hours: Every time my nose comes within vincinity of my wrist, I think I smell something different but insanely delicious. Caramel, cake batter, something fruity...I smell like a diabetic nightmare, but considering how much of a sugar/candy fiend I am, this is a very good thing indeed.

Verdict: Midway, how I love you! I'm kicking myself for only ordering a single bottle of this. Edited by Shollin

I love this one. In the bottle it smells like cotton candy and popcorn; after I put it on, it smells completely of wet sugar until the dry down.

Ah, the dry down. Then it smells like cotton candy and a touch of saltwater taffy for about an hour or so, and then it switches between funnel cake and caramel apple. I smell like a caramel apple. This is amazing.

EDIT: My cat likes to test out my BPAL--which is to say, if she likes it, she licks at my arm, and if she doesn't, she bites me. She loves Midway. I have to wrestle with her to keep her from licking me constantly!

Edited by Pachelbel

Wet: Cotton candy and a hint of sawdust.

Drydown: Sugar, apple, popcorn butter.

Dry: The BPAL butter note has ruined some other great scents for me-- it simply doesn't work with my chemistry. It gets bitter once it dries on me. So I awaited the dry stage of Midway with dread.

I do detect a hint of that butter-gone-bitter smell, but this blend is complex enough that the popcorn-husk bitterness doesn't detract. It actually works well with the faint sawdust smell that's in the mix.

What's really remarkable about Midway is that some of the notes remain distinct. It could all weld into a haze of sweetness, and some of the specific foody smells do kind of tangle together.

But there's definitely cotton candy, caramel apple, popcorn and sawdust. The cotton candy is strongest, and what I'm smelling as cotton candy is probably the miasma of cotton candy, funnel cake, sugar tart and taffy. But a deep whiff gets the apple, clearly and separately from the other sweet smells, and the sawdust and buttery popcorn act as a kind of a base note. When you really suck it in, there's also a hint of oil that could signify the funnel cake.

Inescapably, this is a VERY SWEET blend. But it's not sickeningly sweet to me. It's complicated, and undercut by popcorn butter and sawdust; I find it both yummy-good and wearable. Also, it's more atmospheric than a lot of other food smells. It's not like a food that you want to eat, it's an ambiance of being at a fair among all those scents. It might perk your appetite for sweets but I don't think it'll make you want to eat your wrist.

Ah, Midway.

In the bottle: Tons of cotton candy, buttered popcorn.

On my arm: The cotton candy is lovely. I'm not so sure about the popcorn. Butter scents tend to morph into something that can be described as blech on my skin.

After about an hour: My worst fears are realized. All I can smell is the butter and salt, and it doesn't smell nice.

I really wanted this to work. I just have to accept that foody scents don't work on me, no matter how hard I try.

Well, someone else will enjoy it.

Immediately, caramel and powdered sugar. Yum. After a minute, though, it turns completely to plastic, with a teensy bit of sugar, and then it disappears. And I really slathered it on, too! :P

After a while, it improves...to cotton candy and plastic. Hours later, it's more cotton candy than plastic, but that's hours later.

Sigh. It smells delicious in the vial, but for the most part, not so much on me.

Edited by Voleuse

This scent is DELICIOUS.

Cotton candy and funnel cakes *drool*

It's really has some staying power too! Applied this morning and it's still going strong. Softens to a nice vanilla cake scent with just a hint of extra sweetness.

Wet this is coconut and sugar. When first on this is butter, cream and sugar :D After a couple of minutes it smells like hay- musty and dusty, like the sawdust on a midway of course! After about 30 minutes the sawdust note is gone and it is a lovely sweet blend. This softens into a wonderful sugar and vanilla. Delicious!! This one lives up to all the hype and is a must have for anyone who likes sweet foody blends. :P

In the imp, it smells like cotton candy and sugar

On my skin, it immediately goes to plastic, like I'm finished with the cotton candy and chewing on the plastic stick......

The plasticness fades, but never goes away and winds up smelling like a vanilla candle.

My body just does not like foody scents

This starts salty and sharp on me (like, icky sharp). I get very little sweetness. It dries down to mostly toasted marshmallow, with a bit of buttered popcorn, complete with oily sheen. I wanted more funnel cake, like it smelled in the imp. It doesn't go to "ew" on me, like Beaver Moon did, but it's not something I need to hunt down a bottle of. (Which is good for me I guess.) I'll probably keep the imp because it's such a neat scent and SO evocative of the fair - which I loved as a kid.

YUMMY! :P

I'm sad that I discovered this too late to stock up on bottles.

I received this as a decant. In the imp -- cake! And apples! And caramel! So very very sweet and delicious! On my skin, the funnel cake is brought out a bit more, and the apples fade back, but it remains utterly delicious. My boyfriend wanted to eat my wrist, this smells so good. Unfortunately it didn't last for more than a couple of hours. I'll have to use this only on days when I NEED sweetness in order to save this decanted imp for as long as possible (unless I find more for sale/swap...hmmm.)

Edited by angharad

This is all of the sugary sweet treats of the fair.

I can only smell two sweets very strongly at a time, but they morph and change. I get candy apple and cotton candy one minute, then cotton candy and funnel cake the next. It's absolutely wonderful, and while I only smell a few strong notes at a time, the scent of cotton candy is always just underneath, wisping through the fair grounds.

This is, by far, my favorite Carnaval Noir scent. I'm sad that I didn't buy a bottle of this right away, and now I'm scouting all over the forum and LJ for some. It smells like a mixture of caramel popcorn and candy apples on me, and I can't seem to pull my nose away from my wrist. This is so amazing, but I definitely can't wear it if I'm already hungry

This was the most heart touching frimp I’ve received to date. Compliments of Original Wacky, a true goddess!

midway.jpg

Imp: Pure midway. How the HELL did beth do that? I can taste the fluffy pink cotton candy now (which is, incidentally, the strongest note in the imp). Its dusted with funnel cake sugar, has just a hint of something tart. My god. This is exquisite.

Wet: Instantly goes kinda creamy on me. I still smell cotton candy and sugar, but its not as dusty. Its richer, even more delicious. This transports me to the carnival that the Lion’s club threw in our small town every year as I was growing up. I LOVE Beth.

Drying: There is a hint of cocoa butter to this. Interesting. All the midway foods, even a far off deep fried snickers. Hehe.

Dry: I keep getting wafts of the most glorious deliciousness! This has darkened on me, and I am getting more of the cooked sugar goodness of caramel, still with the phenomenal cotton candy smell. Wow.

Still faintly there at 5 hrs, but have to get right up in there to smell.

Overall: Wow. This is take my breath away accurate. Yum! I will treasure my imp.

ETA: I thought this was long gone, but when I went to the gym 7 hrs later, I kept getting wafts of pink sweetness during my workout. Made working out MUCH more enjoyable.

Edited by jewelbug

Bought this bottle on Ebay.

In the bottle: OOOOOOH! So delicious! FUNNEL CAKE! and cotton candy, and caramel. Wonderful

On my skin: Instant Plastic and Burnt Band-Aid. :P

At least I got to try it....

Midway was amazing on me. I sometimes like pink'n'sickly-sweet things. I admit it. Midway is definitely SWEET and not just a little, but it is delicious, and luckily it didn't do anything funky on my skin. Caramel is in there, so is popcorn... basically a fun girly smell. It didn't last forever on me though- I think it lasted about 3 or 4 hours, which is not that long for a BPAL scent. Still, worth reapplying.

I'd call it a 5 out of 5.

EDIT: This is one I use a lot more than I guessed I would. I really love it. I love the fact that there's just a hint of creaminess under it all, and the mix of sweet scents is just divine.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Sweet and sugary. I'm not sure if the cotton candy is overriding the caramelish sugary cinnamon smell or the other way around, but it's amazing that these 2 equally sweet but completely opposite scents can blend so well together and being able to smell both of them at the same time. Absolutely genius, although it does give me an ache in my heart wondering where the popcorn is.

in the bottle: sugar! but it's not screaming "foody!" in fact, it smells like those candied popcorn balls people give out at halloween. those are my favorite!

on me: The same, sweet, but with a salty tang and a bit of.....i'm not sure how describe it....crunch?

over all: a foody scent i'm not afraid of. very good! i'll save it for fun outings and when i'm spending time with children. they behave lot more if you smell like sweets. :P cause then you might give them some. either that or i'm giving them another reason to gnaw on me....maybe i shouldn't wear it around kids after all.....

Mmmmmm! Sweet and yummy without being overwhelming, Midway lives up to its description, evoking memories of walking through the delicious food section at the fair. On my skin, it smells almost exactly as it does in the bottle. The most noticeable note to me is the caramel which gives it a smooth creamy scent. Definitely a keeper!

Midway is absolutely amazing. I have no idea how Beth does it!

In the bottle: Cotton Candy

Wet: Still smells like cotton candy but with something richer underneath.

Dry: My wrist smells like powdered sugar and butter. DELISH!!!

My baby, Agnes, loves Midway. I put the bottle under her nose and she started to lick her lips. When I took the bottle away she started screaming. If Agnes likes it Midway must be good!

So Lucky to have gotten this from someone who didn't like it and was selling it for cheap on Ebay.. I *adore* this scent.

Its all buttery carmel sugary notes on me.. with a touch of vanilla.. and fried dough in the background.

Its 6 hours and the scent is still present, but not terribly overpowering.. I love it.. and though I dont know how much it will get worn this summer, this is perfect for the slightly chilled air as we move into spring.. thick and heavy but comforting and fun.

Good gods, I love the foody scents and this one makes me want to eat my hand.

The caramel sugar scent I get in the bottle morphs on my skin, it's funnel cake and my favorite kind. Sugar and cinnamon baked goods coming out of the drydown.

Damn now I'm hungry.

Beth, please make this one of the released for the next Lunacy.

:P

pretty please??

i LOVE midway

had an imp i coveted

then just bought a bottle at willcall (so happy it was re-released)

& now i am so obsessed i can not resist getting another bottle before the carnival's disappear again

to me midway is the ultimate sweet simple vanilla smell that i have been searching for.

not plasticy. not milky. not burnt. not foody necessarily either. just sweet light yumminess. mixes so well with everything too. especially things with a bit of spice. makes snake oil OMFG good.

it doesn't have a very long stay on my skin but all the more reason i need another bottle for i just want to pour it all over me!

This is ALL salt water taffy on me; primarily salty with a complimentary sweetness.

A very nice scent, but not really something I want to smell like. :P Plus, it's actually not foody enough for me, which is so weird since I used to hate foody scents!

yep, smells like the description. butter, caramel and cotton candy is what i smell. i am not big on most foody scents (unless tea counts), so i was apprehensive. i sort of like this though! i have a body scrub that smells a bit like this- i think i'd like midway as a lotion scent more than a perfume, but it's something to wear from time to time.