Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Endymion

Selene, the Moon Goddess, fell in love with a beautiful shepherd named Endymion. She appealed to Zeus, asking him to cast Endymion into everlasting slumber so that she could be with him for all eternity. Her wish was granted, and every night the Goddess visited her love as he slept. A sweet, wistful blend of d’Anjou pear, Lily of the Valley, bois du rose and white musk.

At first, a juicy pear topnote which faded quickly. Underneath was a strong, headache-inducing (for me) rose/floral/musk combo, the kind most people seem to like and which I find far too perfumy. That didn't last long either, and an hour later I have a pleasant, sweet lily-of-the-valley scent on my wrist if I sniff, hard, but there's no throw whatsoever. Basically not my type of scent, so I'll send it to someone else to love.

Edited by sophia_helix

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Sour rose.

In the imp: Pear! Or, more rightly, PEAR.

On skin, wet: Cloying, plastic pear and cool, fresh rose. I'm shockingly a bit fond of the rose in this — it's a very fresh rose.

On skin, dry: Pure rose. Colour me unsurprised. My skin amps rose like... well, quite a bit. The pear has gone MIA, and I never noticed lily of the valley or musk. Simply rose now. And really, this might've been the Only Rose Blend I Like, but for one thing: there's something sour about this as it dries.

Conclusion/Notes: I wonder what soured the rose. Except for that, I might've actually gotten a bottle of this — I really like the rose note(s) in it.

bottle:

fruity and musky

wet:

pear and rose

dry:

mostly rose. Not bad, but not my thing.

overall:

really nice for someone else!

rating: 5/10

This is crisp pear and deep dark rose right off. The lily of the valley would be harsh if it weren't for the white musk. I like this but I can't tell if I love it or not.

In imp: fresh, dry pears.

Wet: juicy pears.

Drydown: lush, juicy pears.

Top notes: a full ripe pear with a light floral note underneath.

Middle notes: a wispy white floral.

Base notes: None! It's gone! wait! It came back! Light rose.

ETA: And it came back again! Hello, juicy pear.

Throw: light

rating: 2.5 3.5 out of 5. It's pretty, but far too light.

Edited by ladymissspyder

Bottle: lily of the valley - I used to pick tiny bouquets of them at my grandma's house and put them in these teeny vases she has...fabulously fragrant, and so tiny! they are to fragrance and size as Emma is when it comes to volume. Tiny girl, helluva set of lungs.

Wet: the lily is joined by rosewood and the pear. this is definitely on the sweet side, and I'm hoping that doesn't increase, as it's lovely but just short of what I know my sinuses will react to...

Dry: thankfully the lily isn't amping, and although on the sweeter side for me, it's still delicate and very wearable.

Later: wistful - absolutely. this is full of innocent longing..almost too young for me (this has dewy youth written all over it), but I think I may try it as a summer scent..

Some of my very favorite notes are in here: pear, Lily of the Valley, musk.... and I can tell. What a beautiful, ethereal scent. I'm even enjoying the rose, and I'm not a big rose fan!

I normally prefer heavier scents, but this is just amazing, and will be a big bottle purchase soon.

Odd. I got a pale, wimpy blend of pears on a bed of faint musk. No white floral, no rose. Not terrible - I'm a fan of fruity scents so smelling like a pear isn't such a bad thing. But on me the scent has no character. And it all but disappears after half an hour or so. Sure Endymion's pretty, but doesn't Selene get a bit bored with just watching him sleep all the time?

:P

If the scent doesn't grow a backbone next time I try it on, to the swaps with it!

I purchased this imp a few weeks ago from VenusFlyTrap & today was the first day I've tried it on.

In the imp, it is VERY pear to me - but sniff again & I definitely pick up the rose & a soft musk underneath it. I typically don't like really fruity smells or anything with lots of floral notes because most florals go way too cloying on me. This one, however was different.

On my skin, wet, it still smells very pear. It quickly morphs into a wonderful soft rose - like the smell of roses on a soft summer breeze, not that heavy cloying rose that I typically find. Then the musk peeks out from behind the rose petals just enough to soften it a bit more. I never do smell the lily of the valley in here.

Dry I get lots of soft, wonderful rose laced with the gentlest musk. Gorgeous!

This has plenty of throw on me - didn't take much on application. I dabbed the wand on my wrist & then rubbed them together then another wand in my cleavage. That was 6 hours ago - I can't smell the scent on my wrists any longer, but I keep getting a waft of that lovely soft rose interlaced with musk with the tiniest hint of pear drifting up from my cleavage. It seems like it disappears quickly when worn were it can be rubbed off by contact. But it apparently has great staying power when applied to my cleavage!

Definitely going on my big bottle list! :P

Endymion - When initially applied, all I can smell is the pear. Now this is really something, because I wasn't impressed by d'Anjou Pear single note (despite recognizing it from several scents, including Glitter and Pink Phoenix), but the d'Anjou Pear in Endymion is simply stunning. Blended with the other notes in this particular oil, it smells exactly like a Harry & David pear in December, at the peak of ripeness. It is so genuine I can hardly believe it! Beneath the pear is the crystalline scent of white musk. As the scent dries down, the Lily of the Valley becomes more discernable, and it smells absolutely gorgeous. Lily of the Valley is one of my favorite little flowers because of how tiny and delicate it is, yet it has such a distinctive, strong fragrance, and it is the same in this blend. The LotV is highly distinctive in this blend. Around the 30 minutes point, I begin to also detect the very faintest trace of rose. It is a soft, round rose -- the rose that is used in Venus -- and never really comes out fully, but rather elusively weaves its way in and out of the other notes. This is an absolutely spectacular fruity-floral blend, and one that I think I'm going to hand on to for a while.

This scent was very light and pretty, but it faded on me quickly. I don't think I've tried anything else with a pear note in it - I enjoyed that note quite a bit.

rating: 2/5

A very light and beautiful scent. The pear is strongest at the beginning and I love that note - a ripe, juicy pear. However, the rose begins to dominate only a few minutes into it. I'm not a huge rose fan. I don't mind it but I just can't bring myself to like enough that I'd buy a scent that had it as it's main note.

Nice and pretty but going into swaps.

I get sweet pear on first application, and to my nose, it's slightly boozy. Wow! After a minute, the rose kicks in, keeping the pear from turning too cloying. This is lovely, light and sweet, but also very cool. Yum.

In the bottle: I do not believe this was on my list of scents I wished to try; I received it as a FRIMP with my last BPAL order.

Mrm. This is a little sweetly-floral, which is not my usual wont. It's light. I'm not sure about the floral I smell; I think I smell more "rose" than lily, but as I don't actually study many floral scents, I can't actually be sure. Luckily, I also sense something that should be pear.

Wet: Erk? Definitely floral. It's not terrible; I think that pear-note is a real help in keeping the cloying feminine pistils-and-stamens down. It's a "light" scent, in that the flavor of it is more delicate than the thick and foody BPALs I prefer. It wafts more than blankets; it laughingly dances around the wearer like a girlish sprite. This is more like the notes one would find in a traditional perfume. It seems clean and bright. It's fresh; the gentle sun of a spring morning. It kind of reminds me of a dryer sheet; I don't mean that in a bad way. It's soft and somewhat comfortable. I am reminded of homes kept by firm but feminine women; homes in which the guest bed is always made and there are flowers in the spotless bathroom.

Drying: I'd really like this so much more were it just pears and musk without the florals. The lily's going a bit soapy on me and I'm getting a faint headache from it. It's a bit of a shame, actually, because I quite like the Greek myths and I am a bit piqued to dislike something with a Greek reference. I do enjoy the spicy, edgy pear, but the florals are just too annoying.

Afternotes: I'm just too tight-lipped and squinty-eyed trying not to actually grimace with this one. Not only am I not a floral girl as a rule (I've actually kept some lab scents that are rather flowery) but for some reason this is giving me that scent-headache that I associate with little old lady perfume. I'd really like to like it, but I just don't.

Scott-sniff: He thinks it's nice, but he thinks other things I prefer are nice, also.

Verdict: I think this would be a fantastic scent for someone who enjoyed fresh, yellow-white-green scents with blossoms in them. Unfortunately, I am not such a person. My headache is getting worse and I'm a bit nauseated also. This is not because Endymion is awful; it's simply my poor reaction to it. I was kind of hoping to try this one again, but I am going to have to SWAP! And reallyfastgowashthisoff.

Mmm.. more fruity goodness. The d'Anjou Pear in this is absolutely decadent. So sweet and syrupy. I'm surprised the bois du rose doesn't come out more as woods tend to hate me something fierce but this appears to be staying right where it should. This is a sweet scent but it's not overtly sugary... it's that definite sugar sweetness that you get from fruits without any extra additives. I'm going to order a bottle of this... < nods >

In the imp: Pear, and something really pretty behind it!

Wet: Lots of pear.. I really like the undercurrent behind it - the lily, especially. However, that's not very strong as compared to the pear

Dry: Ah, after this dries and the pear fades a bit, I love what's left behind! It's long lasting too - if I apply this late afternoon, for example, I can still smell it on me the following morning. So glad this doesn't turn rose on me! I tried this in an oil burner and it's even better :P

Endymion-

In Bottle: I can smell the pear strongly and it's lovely.

Wet: Getting a little acetone bloom as it hits and I don't smell so much pear. Getting a little soapy.

Dry: The dry-down on this is actually quite nice. It smells like white musk and powder, and though it takes a while to get to this stage it's probably worth my trying it again here and there.

Overall: I like.

In the imp: soapy....yep, soap and pears.

In the skin: I'm starting to smell the yummy pear more and more, and now some flowers too...reminds me of a kind of medicine in my childhood that parents give to their children to calm them down, its called "jerez water"..hmmm..

After a couple of hours: the pear is almost gone but I smell flowers, soo yummy!

I LOVE it. Unfortunately, it only stays 3 to 4 hours in my skin, I had to reapply 3 times during the day. O well, another reason to buy the 5ml :P

ps: thanks Jenn for this imp!

I ordered Endymion as part of an attempt to catch up on my GC wishlist--it's been on there awhile. I really like pear in Titania and am fond of anything Moon-themed (such a lovely story). It's a fresh, crispy, *juicy* pear topnote, and combined with the soft florals underneath smells...well, a lot like Pear Blossom from B&BW. Which I like, although it doesn't quite say "Luna in love" to me. The white musk drydown makes it more complex than anything from B&BW (as I would expect from a Beth creation). This would be a fun one for spring, but I have Titania, so I don't suppose I truly need it.

In the imp, Endymion has a nice pear whiff with a floral/soapy undertone. When it hits my skin, I do get a big hit of pear and lily of the valley for about 30 seconds, when the rose then takes over. Rose always takes over on my skin! Then, after about 10 minutes, it turns to a fabric softener smell. Not unpleasant, just soapy/fabric softener. This is how Dirty was supposed to smell on me, and it didn't. While a fresh soapy smell isn't especially my style, the scent on its own (without my skin interfering) would be nice either as a household scent or as a fragrance for dried flower petals. It's very lovely and feminine.

Had to try this with such a pretty description.

In the vial: Pears with a floral backdrop

Wet: Pears amping up

Drying: Pears begin to recede and I get a sweet floral

30 minutes: All but gone. Faint hint of something sweet.

Lovely, truly, but too fleeting!

In the bottle: pear with light floral

Initial application: the pear amps and becomes sweet and juicy

Drydown: pear fades a bit as the floral notes come out more. I'm not getting rose specifically, and the white musk is very subtle. I have a white musk body lotion I'd like to layer with this, just to see what happens.

It fades fast, though, I've already had to reapply. Still, it's a pretty, very feminine blend.

Smiley rating: :P

Wet: PEAR! Fresh, sweet, pears dripping with juice.

Dry: Those same pears toned down a little and with a few flowers thrown in.

A pleasant scent, but you have to either really like pears, or have a skin chemistry that makes the other notes come out more. I'm not such a juicy-fruit fan, so off it goes.

Endymion

In the imp: lily of the valley and sweet pear.

Wet on skin: sugared pear and lily of the valley.

Dry: this is so pretty! The scent is a watery fruity floral, a very pleasant lily of the valley (which so far isn’t soaping on me) with a sweet, sugary pear note-like pear covered in sugar syrup. I also get the rose in the background-or is it rosewood? I do get a slight hint of wood to this, I must say, and the white musk binds it all together. This is a fresh, dainty, springy scent.

After a while: this doesn’t change much-it does lose it’s watery feel and becomes more lily-centred, but still remains a well balanced mix of lily, rose, pear and musk. A bright white scent, and with no soap yet. It does have a slight waxy-green scent which I sometimes get with lily of the valley but it’s not bad.

It does get drier and sharper on the drydown after about 4-5 hours though, and I’m not as keen on it as before.

Verdict: this is a very pretty scent, light, youthful, innocent, sweet, spring-like. It’s mainly lily of the valley and pear, dusted with sugar and with a hint of dew, but there are undertones of rose and bright white musk as well. A clean, fresh scent, what I like about this is that the soapy scent I sometimes get with LotV doesn’t appear until much, much later. I do like this scent but it’s not a favourite-I might want to try this again in spring, this seems such a springy, warm weather scent to me.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? maybe

If you like this, try: Belle Epoque, Thalia, La Belle au Bois Dormant