Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
summer

Oil recommendations for studying, learning, exams

Tarot: The Hermit immediately came to mind...I haven't had a chance to try that one yet but most of the reviews seem to say it is reminiscent of books, studying, introspection...

hth :P

ETA: This thread (Oils for test-taking) might be helpful to you.

Edited by Charmkin

This seems to suggest that vanilla scents are good for test taking (alleviates stress) as I suggested in the link that Charmkin posted:

http://www.scotfeict.org.uk/modules.php?op...article&sid=381

I think the right scent for you might depend on what you need. For me, I wear Mabon to help me sleep -- I might also choose it to help me study. Mabon doesn't make me feel sleepy or relaxed necessarily, but it helps me to focus and center my energy. That said, if vanilla is a scent used for relaxation, it might help you to relax for a test, but not necessarily to study. You might even want a strong scent if you need a little extra "push" to get things done.

Really I need a little extra push to get things done. In my first order I have included The High Conqueror I hope that this helps myself, and in my 2 ª order I will include undoubtedly, The Hermit. Thanks :P

I'm going to suggest Snake Oil here. Vanilla is always really calming on me, but doesn't make me sleepy. It just helps me to relax. Now the spices and intensity of Snake Oil definitely keep me more alert and focused, without being too distracting. Snake oil also makes me feel confident, which is always good when studying or taking exams. :P

I often find quite foody scents work well for essay-writing. Usually when I'm working I'm also hugely stressed out, so something warrm and comforting is required.

Dorian and Dana O'Shee would fall into this category. Also Dragonfly Blue's Vanilla Almond is a divine Anti- 'Argh my head is about to explode' scent.

Although Pele isn't warm exacty, it's a good studying scent for me. It's not pungent enough to be distracting, but it gives off a lovely fresh whiff every now and then. :P

Well, I'm sitting here, stressed and unable to concentrate, and my bottle of Dorian is sitting on my desk. I spilled a little on the lable, so my how work-area smells like Dorian and I have to agree, it's lovely and relaxing.

Doesn't make me stop dicking around the 'net and start working on my paper, though. But then, I'm a hopeless case. :P

Well, I'm sitting here, stressed and unable to concentrate, and my bottle of Dorian is sitting on my desk. I spilled a little on the lable, so my how work-area smells like Dorian and I have to agree, it's lovely and relaxing.

Doesn't make me stop dicking around the 'net and start working on my paper, though. But then, I'm a hopeless case. :P

I know what you mean about the 'net being distracting. It was my downfall last term. I found the only way to get round it was to take my internet card out and put it somewhere obscure. That way I was less tempted to click on to the forum! :D

I was working on a paper a few weeks ago and wearing Perversion really helped. It's still chilly out and I was stressing, but Perversion is such a warm, comforting scent on me that it felt like wrapping myself in furs against the cold so that I could really focus on my work.

The Hermit is a wonderful scent. I really like it as it doesn't tempt me to fall asleep or anything, like some other fragrances would.

I'd also go with anything that has verbena, green tea or citrus notes. Phantasm, Shanghai, Embalming Fluid, Succubus and Zephyr might do well. Other oils to try: Severin (I seem to recall someone saying she used this oil for studying), Absinthe, Mad Hatter, Three Witches (when it comes back around).

-doreen

who also should be studying

I attended a workshop on Boys Education yesterday and one of the suggestions (along with getting rid of fluorescent lights) was to incorporate aromatherapy into the classroom environment.

An interesting thought that begs the question:

Which BPAL would you use to assist in engaging students in learning? Some oils must be better at this that others. In particular I am looking for suggestions for oils that can stimulate the brain in a positive way to be receptive to learning, not stimulate the boys into a frenzy of activity! :P

Well, it's not aromatherapy, but I've learned a lot from Beth's website--just reading the descriptions & then running to read more off google!

:P

Really, lots of potential with setting up some lessons (selectively chosen!!!)...history, mythology, religon, reading, art, different cultures...

Edited by babykitty

Bump..

So.. do any of the new blends since Sept. of '04 sound like good oils for the realm of studying?

I could use a little help (in the form of smelly oils) as I'm feeling a tiny bit burnt around the edges right now.

I think this is the type of job the Panacea are good for. Maybe Succor, Quietude, or even Moxie depending on what aspect of studying you have problems with.

Generally, I wouldn't recommend anything too astringent or tart. Something warm and subtle is what I'd want.

This is the first college finals week I've had since I got hooked on BPAL (and ironically my last finals week, since I graduate next Sunday), and I'm finding Vinland, Jabberwock, and Rose Cross to be quite the lifesavers. Glasgow is also quite wonderful as a room scent, as the heather calms me while the berries are sharp and awake.

What do other people find works well for alertness and concentration?

Well, my ultimate study scent is definitely Miskatonic University. Coffee and that old book smell? Perfect! :P

Other good scents are Belle Epoque (very refreshing and eye-opening), Temple of Dreams for when I need to relax, Kunstkammer for when I need to stay awake, and Bliss or 13 when I want something sweet to cheer me up.

Jabberwocky here, too. That eucalyptus just shouts "Hey! Wake up! Pay attention!" to me. Mercury or Block Buster work great for essays. Stimulating but comforting.

I find that if I use one particular scent for studying, the scent memory it gets associated with is one of stress X_X so no BPAL for me when I'm studying!

If you wear a scent to study, be sure to wear the same scent during the exam! It's that weird conditional memory thing.

Edited by darklorelei

darklorelei, that's an awesome rec! I'll have to remember that...

I wore Dorian and Embalming Fluid during finals week this term. The lemony scents really perked me up and I found the touch of lavender in Dorian really helped keep me chill.

A friend gave me TAL's concentration and I wore it while taking the MCAT. It seemed to help, even though I had to refresh halfway through. It fades rather quickly.

Edited by eggplant

Endymion works for me, especially after the pear note has faded. It's light and buoyant enough to keep my energy up, and I don't obsess over it enough to sniff my wrists every five minutes.

>.<

My big problem is actually settling down enough to study, though.

MOXIE! Joseybird recommended it to me last semester when I was working on papers and exams, and pulling several all-nighters in a row. Well I got a decant and it's helping me through my very last set of law school finals (no all nighters this semester, thank heaven). I put it on my palms while I am studying and it helps me concentrate, and I huff it right before my test, and it helps me stay awake.

(Seriously, last year before I discovered BPAL I actually fell asleep during a law school final. Don't fall asleep during a final! The end result is bad times!)

The Star and 21, with their limey goodness, are also good for concentration. I'd go for anything with vast amounts of citrus.

Good luck! :P