Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
summer

Oil recommendations for studying, learning, exams

Thanks for merging these -- I swear I searched for this, as I couldn't believe it didn't exist, but the search engine betrayed me.

Anyway, I have discovered today that ironically enough, Sloth makes an amazing study scent for me. Don't take that as a recommendation, though, because going from the other reviews, I have either weird skin chemistry or weird scent associations. :P On me, it's this wonderfully deep, grounding, ritual sort of incence-and-vegetation smell.

I think Tushnamatay (my new love) would be great for studying. To me it is very calming and focusing.

I'm really looking forward to Cheshire Cat arriving in my mailbox, because I used to have some grapefruit essential oil that I used as a room scent for studying and it really helped me, so I'm thinking anything with grapefruit should motivate me.

I find motivation and concentration my main problems with studying. Oh, and this forum...

I'm resurrecting this thread because this is something I need recs for. I've found that Clio really helps alot. I think it's the lavendar calming me down a bit, as I tend to get antsy and anxious when I sit down to do my homework. I'm going to need something that keeps me awake as well as calming me down, but I have NO idea where to start there. Maybe i should just super-caffinate myself when I wear Clio.

I use lemon scents for studying (when TAL's Concentration is not on hand, at least): Spirits of the Dead and June Gloom work especially well when trying to focus the mind on the task at hand.

Ok. I've gone from a broken heart (just ordred Dove's Heart and White Light for that) - to taking some REALLY freaking hard college classes after being out of school for a long time. I have a mental block about math that causes anxiety and I really need to overcome this to succeed in chemistry. I have a quiz coming up Monday that has me freaking...I'd like something for future tests that helps me both prepare, and be focused and calm when the test time comes.

Help! I don't want to freak myself into a bad grade.

I think the success of a blend you use can depend a lot on personal preferences - if you don't care for a certain smell it isn't going to help you very much.

From what you're saying, it sounds like you need something that will help your mind stop racing to other issues so you can concentrate on what you're doing, that will relieve your stress without putting you to sleep with your face in a book. There are two Panacea blends that sound good to me, Quietude and Succor. Quietude (the Lab says: Peace, serenity, tranquility, silence) has a nice sandalwoody feel and Succor (the Lab: Relaxation, calm, finding center) smells like a spicy geranium blend to my nose.

If you're thinking you want to add a TAL to the mix, Concentration has aromatherapy properties so it could be a great help.

I have an oral defense of a paper tomorrow and am now spiralling into a panic about it--so I've somehow determined that my scent tomorrow will make or break me. I was going to wear Schrodinger's Cat as the paper is on the Schrodinger equation, but I find the oil too bouncy and cutesy for the situation. I make my own High John the Conqueror, but the store I purchase the root from moved locations and I have run out in the mean time. I was thinking Magus because it has a certain gravitas and has High John in it, but it smells very... ritualistic on me.

Any suggestions?

I have an oral defense of a paper tomorrow and am now spiralling into a panic about it--so I've somehow determined that my scent tomorrow will make or break me. I was going to wear Schrodinger's Cat as the paper is on the Schrodinger equation, but I find the oil too bouncy and cutesy for the situation. I make my own High John the Conqueror, but the store I purchase the root from moved locations and I have run out in the mean time. I was thinking Magus because it has a certain gravitas and has High John in it, but it smells very... ritualistic on me.

Any suggestions?

Good luck! (You have my utmost sympathy; I hate oral defenses.) Have you tried Sudha Segara? I find it very grounding and calming.

I didn't have any Sudha Segara on hand and wound up using Lurid because I find the lavender/berry combo soothing and grounding as well. It worked--I walked away with an A. I'm going to take most of the credit, but I would certainly say that smelling fabulous helped that along.

Because I have the bad habit of staying up into the wee hours of the morning to cram, I've found that a citrus scent helps keep me more awake and alert. I've heard that grapefruit is the best for that. The only grapefruit scent I own is Vampire Tears, and that's the one I use. I also wear it on the day of the exam, both to keep me awake and focused and to hopefully jog my memory by scent association.

Unfortunately, because of this, I've started to associate Vampire Tears with stress. And while I liked it, it was never a favorite, so it's led to me feeling vaguely uneasy whenever I wear it in other situations.

I didn't have any Sudha Segara on hand and wound up using Lurid because I find the lavender/berry combo soothing and grounding as well. It worked--I walked away with an A. I'm going to take most of the credit, but I would certainly say that smelling fabulous helped that along.

Yay! Congratulations!

I'm curious if there's any scents that people use to aid focus in studying or concentrating. I tested SGA for the first time and wore it to the library, so now smelling it makes me think of working (and smelling delicious). I wore it to my Statistics test last week and it seemed to do well. I'm currently wearing Cathedral in the library, which doesn't seem to be helping or hindering... I just smell like yummy resins and wood.

I tried Miskatonic U today to help me with research and studying. It really works! Smelling of coffee, creamy coffee at that helps me focus. Can anyone else suggest another coffee scent other than El Dia de reyes, )sadly it turned to butter on me) to help get through this research paper?

Edited by Dark Alice

Bumping this because dead week and finals week are fast approaching. I am currently writing my last history research paper (hopefully not my very last paper, if grad schools work out...), and find that Bastet with a bit of Block Buster keeps me focused.

Bumping this because dead week and finals week are fast approaching. I am currently writing my last history research paper (hopefully not my very last paper, if grad schools work out...), and find that Bastet with a bit of Block Buster keeps me focused.

It comes a bit late but ...

Brimstone! It's the scent I wear when I need to feel powered-up and for college exams it definitely backs me up, filling me with the fire I need to beat the holy terror.

Edited by SkySamuelle