Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Blood Rose

Sensual, robust, and silken: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon’s blood resin.

impsniff: hothouse roses and grape kool-aid powder.

skinsniff, wet: dragon's blood and fake rose scent

skinsniff, dry: perm solution(*), bubblegum and dragon's blood

there's one particular rose note from the lab that always turns into perm solution on me.

From the vial, this strikes me instantly as spiced rose. It is a deep, rich smell.

I really like this. I’m not sure what dragon’s blood resin smells like, but this is definitely warm, and I like its warmth. (I am relieved -- I had been afraid that I would wind up adverse to everything in my original pack!)

As Blood Rose dries, the scent strikes me as exotic and beautiful, which is hardly a bad way to feel. I do smell the rose, and the warmth makes me happy. This isn’t sweet the way Persephone was, and it doesn’t show any sign of soaping out on me, either. I don’t think I can smell the wine, but maybe it will show up later. There is a weird familiarity to it, but I can’t place what is so familiar. I like it, though, I truly, truly do, and I am happy about liking it. It strikes me as a scent to wear when wearing red lipstick and gold jewelry... something sensual and graceful (definitely not a workday scent for me.) It’s sophisticated and natural all at the same time. I feel like purring.

After an hour or so, the scent remains rich and warm. The rose is detectably there, but the scent doesn’t come off either floral or perfumey -- it is just warm and rich and lustrous. I still don’t detect wine, no matter how I concentrate on the scent, but it may be serving as a base for the rose and (what I assume is) the dragon’s blood resin. I must try another dragon’s blood resin scent for comparison at some future point.

Definitely a keeper.

Blood Rose-

In Bottle: Very, very bright and sweet and powdery.

Wet: I seem to be amping the rose--not my favorite part--but the Dragon's Blood is pretty as always. (I really enjoy Dragon's Blood.)

Dry: The rose dies down and I am left with sweet Dragon's Blood, not at all cloying. It's pretty but I don't think it'll be my favorite of the Dragon's Blood blends, but it is one of my favorite rose blends so far. (The winner is still Whip.) Wish the wine had come out more.

Overall: Nice.

I'm not a big dragon's blood fan so I'd been avoiding this one and it turns out my instinct was right. Dragon's blood just smells fake and sickly sweet on my skin. I can smell the rose over it and it is a pretty rose, but the dragon's blood kills it for me. :P

Wine! Lots and lots of red wine! I'm barely getting the florals at all. There's a touch of spice, which I suppose is coming from the dragon's blood, but mostly this is a dark merlot in front of a warm fire.

wow. wow. ohmy.

luscious rose & wine, juicy and fruity, humid and sweet. it's quite resiny for me when first applied, like a sweet incense, but that fades somewhat the longer i wear it, stepping into the background and letting the moist rose slink sexily to the fore, glass of wine in hand (&platter of ripe, sensual fruit in the other!). this is just glorious. so elegant, dark and seductive. i am purring!

ETA; after a few days of spending time with miss blood rose, we've decided that we will always love each other but really need to follow our own separate paths right now. :P

i stand by my claim that this is one gorgeous scent, but unfortunately, she becomes a little too heady (& head-shoppy) on me, after a while. still a beautiful scent, just not right on my skin.

however, i'd love to hang out with a friend who was wearing this!

Edited by undream

Oooh yummy! God, this is just soo sexy! It's a wonderful sumptuous red velvety rose dowsed in a sweet red wine. Oh wow, sooo glad I managed to snag this one up in a 10mL before they went bye-bye. This is just wonderful!! The dragon's blood lends a sweetness to it without overpowering... so delicious.

Oooo...

In the imp - all rosy-sweetness.

Wet - Big, wet red roses.

Dry - Rose powder. A perfectly red-rose powder, but with something darker and sweeter under it. Almost grape-y, but not enough to be off-putting.

I like this, but it is not quite me.

Keeping the imp? Nah, someone will give it a better home than I can.

Bottle? Only if I can make Geolinguist wear it. This smells divine on him.

Edited by Ghost Light

this smell the same regardless of location - imp/skin.

a rosy scent - almost too floral? but the underlying dragon's blood makes this sharp. i bought this to remind myself that roses have thorns, so i got what i paid for.

as with the dragon's tears, though, i think wearing this scent is a bit much for me. could be i'm having a reaction to the dragon's blood. i like this scent, though. very powerful.

A very evocative scent: as soon as I opened the imp I remembered what it felt like to be 5, sitting under a backyard tree and playing with flower-scented dolls. Thus the power of scent...

Wet: Fruity, then a slightly plastic rose. Very strong, almost made me sneeze. The fruitiness must be the wine note?

Dry: The plastic tone disappeared entirely, leaving a very sweet and slightly fruity rose. Much girlier and less aggressive than Whip.

Finish: The wine note made itself known at about the 3-hour mark, as the sweetness receded. Drinking red wine in a rose garden.

Duration: Lingers nicely. I'm still getting whiffs at the 8-hour mark.

Very pleasant scent, but it's not me the adult and I don't want to wear a scent I associate with being 5. Off to the swap box it goes.

Blood Rose

note: I dislike rose. But, the rose scents that I have taken a dislike to, are the cheap scents I used to get as a girl. However, some rose, even BPAL, still remind me of this. I just wanted to get a good feel for all the BPAL rose scents.

In the vial: No rose, rich and deep, sweet.

On me: OMG, its a lot like F-54! The rose is there, but covered in wine. I get a black cherry hint too. Sometimes Dragon's Blood is overwhelming. But, this is blended so smoothly that it is one luscious sexy scent. I could love this.

After a bit, it softens, but still like F54. Not quite as strong. Less staying power.

A wonderful surprising rose scent!!

Ok, the F54 resemblance fades to a softer powdery sweeter scent.

Edited by cybra111

This smells absolutely wonderful. I can't distinguish the wine note at all. This is just beautiful dragon's blood and rose perfectly mingled in the right ratio for my skin chemistry, neither one overpowers the other. This blend has soft sensuality with a dash of spice thrown in. :D

I'm a big fan of all the dragon's blood scents. And this one is no exception. I also love most of the rose scents I've tried (two, five, and seven is the only one that hasn't worked so far).

I took a bath with a little bit of this scent in the water and I could smell it for well over a day in my bathroom, and it was heaven. :P

This is all sweet rose on first application, rich and heady and intoxicating. The dragon's blood balances the odd weedy note I often get from rose scents--this is all velvety, dark petal to my nose. This is gorgeous, right up with Two, Five & Seven as a favorite rose scent. I definitely want a bottle.

Blood Rose was initially very berryish, with the rose and dragon's blood resin wandering in a bit later. The final drydown is Roasted Rose (maybe Mrs. Dragon wanted something besides flowers for her anniversary?).

It reminds me a lot of Hymn and All Saints.

Good to try if you are a rose-lover.

In the imp, this one is a gorgeous, sexy rose incense.

On my skin, it's still gorgeous, sexy rose incense! This rose isn't old-ladyish at all. It's luxurious. The dragon's blood and wine warm the rose until it's smoky and sultry and somehow mystical too. This scent makes me think of a love/fertility ritual, sacred sex.

Verdict: I LOVE it. I got this one as a frimp with my last order, and thank you, lab! I think I will need to buy a full bottle of this one.

Sexy and rich, but not overpowering. Just the perfect blend of rose, wine and dragon's blood. I'm so getting a big bottle of this one.

ADDED March 16:

I adore rose, so this was just beautiful. So far it's my favorite rose yet next to Whip.

Another frimp from the lab, also not one I'd have ordered myself. In the imp it smells like cherry cough syrup, but somehow *good* cherry cough syrup. Not bad. Stays like that on my skin a bit until it dries, and then it turns into what I identified as "hair dye before the ammonia kicks in" even before reading the review above calling it "perm solution". We must have somewhat similar skin chemistry. Stays like that for an hour or two until it gets into its final form of only a vague hint of hair dye, mostly I-guess-this-is-rose, and it's fighting not to turn into bubble bath, I can't tell whether or not I *actually* smell soap. I don't seem to like the "rose" or whatever it is, not surprising there. Definitely within the realm of "ick".

Every fragrance I've tried with dragon's blood in it, the dragon's blood seems to willingly hand over control to whatever else is in it, not much similarity at all between the ones I've tried.

Bottle: red wine. cheap red wine, actually. I recognize this...can't tell you which brand, but I can almost picture the label...

Wet: the rose e'r blooming, surpassing the wine, I'm glad to say. I hope that remains the case - wine isn't a note that cares much for me.

Dry: the sweet red wine is back and not playing nice with others. damnit.

Later: and it's amped, taking over, and that odd sweet-sour of turning wine. joy.

My first review! :P

Oh, there’s the rose, hiding in the back behind the bright red, lightly spiced, juicy cherry. Rather like this one.

Now I’m really curious about other dragon’s blood oils…

Wet: the rose and the cherry have switched places and a spiciness is coming up to play with the bright fuchsia rose.

Dry: Cherry is all but gone and what is left of it is pale and dry and blending very harmoniously with the rose. The spiciness is coming out more strongly. I can almost taste it in the back of my throat (not bad, but definitely not a food flavor at this point)

Much, much later: After 18 hours, a shower, a load of dishes and multiple handwashings I can still pick up the sweet spiciness of the dragon’s blood if stick my nose to my wrist and it's even more lovely.

Summary: I like it quite a bit and certainly will enjoy the rest of the imp, but no great compulsion to buy a big bottle right now. I really like dragon’s blood as a lingering scent and look forward to trying other dragon’s blood blends. I have a feeling that mixed with woods and maybe incense notes I’d really love it, but it’s just a bit sweet in the early stages when mixed with this rose.

The last of my non-TAL imps to test...!

In the imp, it's remarkably like cough syrup ... it's cherry-ish, but there's definitely something that reminds me of Dimetapp ... which was grape-flavoured? Perhaps it's the red wine doing that ...

Wet on skin, it's defintely grapey, but there's also some powdery rose there. The cherry-ish thing I normally get from dragon's blood hasn't stuck around much at all from the imp.

Once dry, there's a hint of cherry, with a background of rose, and the dimetapp note has disappeared. I shouldn't be surprised anymore that the scent has changed so much from the incarnation in the imp ...

Not sure I'm in the right mood for this today, I have an imp of Dragon's Milk which I quite enjoy, but it's only for a particular mood/weather ... I don't think I need two!

This is almost offensively masculine to my nose - very strong and possibly containing sandalwood? It is very musky and woodsy with no hint of sweetness and is just too much for me. It does settle nicely after an hour and I get more of the rose but it's not a keeper.

One of my first BPAL loves that started an obsession.

The dragon's blood resin is fairly unique. I dare you to find it in a mainstream rose fragrance.

Red roses and red wine on a crimson tablecloth, wet and mysterious. Dark, sensual, and sophisticated.

On me, this starts off smelling almost overpoweringly of a good quality red wine. No vinegary notes, but a rich and full bodied fruitness. It can be a bit much sometimes though!

As it dries, it calms and can end up smelling either really fruity or very rosey with subtle overtones of fruit.

I find that with this one a little goes a long way, although it was agony to make my frimp last until my 5ml arrived!

For the first couple times I wore it, it was this lovely sweet almost currant-y top note - I'm guessing that's the wine - floating on top of the rose. Almost no dragon's blood.

Third time, though, it was sort of... sour and strange, and I had to scrub it off. Shame. I'm starting to think that rose isn't the biggest fan of me.