Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pinky

Honey

to me, honey single note is, not surprisingly, a perfumey honey. its not so much straight up honey as it is honey mingled with the blossoms that helped produce it. its a light, lovely, golden perfume honey.

That pretty much says what I was going to say about this. In the bottle, it smells sweeter than I expected, almost with a floral note. On me, it's almost too sweet, nothing like the dark honey scent in O. I don't think I'll be wearing this as an individual fragrance, but it should work well to layer with other things if I want a bit more sweetness.

Bottle (Imp): Hmmm, it's honey-like, but I don't get honey. Not sweet, sticky honey that I get from a beekeeper friend. Not honey still on the honeycomb scent. Somewhat sweet, but not really feeling the honey. Time to put it on and try it. 2nd try: Still smells very sharp, and doesn't quite hit my nose right.

Just On: Whoa. A very sharp scent, almost like alcohol. I sure hope this gets some sweetness to it, or I shall be horribly disappointed. It almost burns my eyes. <sob> I wonder if this is reacting strangely because I'm fresh out of the bath? 2nd try: Apparently it's not the bath, and it's still sharp and kind of alcohol-y. This is too strange.

An hour or two later: I get a whiff of honey, but it's a little plasticy. Still, it could be much worse. I'm going to try this one again, at a different time of month. 2nd try: Wow, I am so so sad that this is just not working for me. It smells like plastic.

Around 6 hours: It's faded away to not much at all, pretty hard to tell that I even put it on. 2nd try: This time I can smell it, but I'm getting a dirty bandaid kind of smell. I think I'm going to cry now, because I SO SO SO wanted to love this.

12 hours: It's completely gone now. Definitely going to try this another time. 2nd try: It's gone. This is probably for the best. Dangit.

Overall: I really really really REALLY wanted to like this. But apparently it does NOT love me.

After reading other reviews: [dramatic font] I hate you people that can wear this! [/dramatic font] Seriously, I can't help but wish that this would have worked for me, and it's going to have to go to someone who can love it (or that it loves). <sob> Ahh, it's all packaged up and going on it's way to someone else. ::huge sigh::

EDIT: I made a discovery last night...I discovered that SN Honey is the perfect "Skin Scent." When I dabbed lightly and sniffed at my wrist from a few inches away, smelled the distinctive sweet, beeswaxy, slightly floral honey that's present in O and Jezebel...but when I pressed my nose to my skin, I smelled...soft, warm, slightly but naturally sweet skin (and like most people, I can't normally detect the smell of my own skin). It wasn't the heated, fire-warmed, sweating skin of O...but the sweet lovely skin of a lovely girl or a gentle, nurturing mother...lightly, naturally sweet and creamy, and comforting.

I wouldn't really wear SN Honey as a regular perfume (even though it certainly can be used that way), but it would be an ideal scen to wear if one has an SO to nuzzle one's neck :D

PS--

When layered with vanilla bean, sn honey loses its florals--YES!! YES!!! :P

Edited by joseybird

A VERY unexpected and delightful gift imp from a wonderful forumite who apparently reads minds :D

This is one that I hadn't added to my wish list due to the rarity and also because, *sigh*, I just KNEW I'd adore it. I do :P

1/4 full impy so I sampled just a smear of this most precious fluid. Its all I knew it would be....

Sweet, yet not, floral & delicious, almost tart honey(and I don't mean that in a foody way). The scents of a warm, humid day, and yes, with lovely little bees buzing all around.

Similar to O, but not quite. This has a feeling of ripe, dripping wet sex. Like O...not necessarily better, just...*swoon*....

Oh yeah, not only is it now on my imp wish list, I fear I need a bottle, or more, of this.

in imp and on skin wet, floral, astringent, slightly green. reminds me of queen of sheba.

5 min - coppertone sunscreen. slightly chemical, slightly floral, and a little of something else.

20 min - same but stronger. apparently honey doesn't get along with my skin.

HONEY: Single Note

In Bottle: Um…honey.

On Skin: It smells like really strong “O” to me. I LOVE it considering O is my favorite scent. Yes, I could bathe in gallons of this. So sweet and warm, it is instant snuggle scent. I can’t imagine anyone not liking this scent. I think people would flock around you just catching a slight whiff of it.

This is a light floral honey on me, not the dark and solid one that I've got in my kitchen, but one of those light-amber and very liquid ones that I like to put in cold teas in the summer.

Very nice and comforting.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Bitter.

In the imp/bottle: Very thick, rich, tart honey. Not sweet at all, but impossibly lovely.

On skin, wet: This is absolutely honey, but it's a very sickly, bitter honey. It almost smells like sweet dirt.

On skin, dry: Single-note honey just doesn't work well with my skin. Ever. 'Nuff said.

Conclusion: As wonderful as this is in the decant, my skin does horrid, unspeakable things to single-note honey.

Edited by Aredhel

Mmm, this is a lovely lovely honey on me - almost exactly the same honey note I get from O. I use this to amp up the honey level in my blended Snake Oil/O mix, and sometimes I wear it just by itself. Something about my skin really loves honey. I don't think I've found a honey yet that doesn't work on me, but this is by far the best.

In the imp: honey drizzled over soft flowers.

On me: Not good at all. I can't describe exactly what it does, but now maybe I know why scents like O and Dana O'Shee did not work on me at all.

I love honey, so it was with eager anticipation that I tried out the Honey single note. Hmmmm, there seems to be more going on here than just honey! It seems darker and more wet, if that makes any sense, more like a tea than honey. Yes, dark golden honeyed tea, sweet, but not too sweet. I have noticed before that my skin seems to eat up Beth's honey notes and I wonder if this will be an exception. It is very light on my skin, I really have to sniff my wrist to smell it.

Completely dry it IS that note in Honey Moon that makes me sneeze! It doesn't smell like honey at all anymore; it's smells greenish, like grass or something herbal. I am pretty sure this is my chemistry reacting to the honey, and not the way it's supposed to smell.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

Edited by wickedgoddess

I got this in a livejournal sale and... spent a fair bit of money on it. However, it was a perfectly fair price considering how hard it is to find, and the seller was kind enough to package it beautifully and throw in some very generous freebies! :D After wearing it almost constantly for a week, I can safely say it was well worth the price. I love it and will cry when it's all gone.

It's very sweet, but not in a sugary or foody way. Honey smells like the real stuff, but in a softer, gentler way that doesn't leave me feeling gooey and sticky. I'm really enjoying wearing this in summer weather because it's so light and calming, and it has excellent staying-power no matter how sweaty I get. It lasts all day, so I can put it on in the morning and then enjoy it's perfect throw well into the evening.

All in all, while I spent more than I have for any other BPAL, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Hell, I WILL if I ever see it available again! :P

Honey

This is interesting. In the imp, this is a slightly floral, slightly tart honey rather than a sweet honey.

On the skin, it has a real 'wildflower' scent, and a bit of a nutty or grainy scent. Quite unexpected for a honey scent! It does have honeyed aspects, but it's not blatant honey. It's like honey flavoured herbal tea, actually (in fact, I swear I can smell camomile in this), or like the fresh wildflower honey you can get at a country fair. It has green, herbal, grainy, nutty, floral/nectar like aspects, with a honey undertone. As time passes, the scent gets more and more like true honey, but it's not over-sweet. It's slightly similar to O and Jezebel's honey (only more herbal), and very different from Hetairae, Queen of Sheba, Tiger Lily, Dana o'Shee and Alice's honey. Very interesting, quite nice, but not what I expected from a Honey SN, but I still like it. It also goes to show that Beth uses many different honey notes in her blends.

I got this from springsea when she sent me a honey-themed birthday gift (she rocks, since honey is my favorite scent).

I don't get the comparisons to O that so many people have mentioned. O turned powdery on me, this stayed more pure.

I do have the luck to be able to compare it to Honey Moon, and for me, I like Honey Moon slightly more. This SN is a little more floral, closer to the pollen side of honey than to the rich sweet pure foody honey that I get from Honey Moon.

The florals take a back seat after it dries, but I still smell some kind of meadowy undertone. Not that I'm complaining, since I also love meadow scents, but as honeys go, Honey Moon is my fav.

Honey - from the Single Note swap circle.

So, my skin seems to have major disagreements with Beth's honey notes. :D I'm not expecting anything nice out of this, sadly.

In the bottle: A raw, floral honey. It's not really the scent of honey at all, to me. Instead, it's a musky, almost feral smell.

On me: Oh yeah, this is the honey note that hates me. This is why O and Dana O'Shee smell icky on me. :P It's sort of floral, sort of plastic, sort of powdery. And very, very heavy.

Yup, I have confirmed that Honey is not a good note with my skin. Thanks, Single Note swap circle! :D

This doesn't smell exactly like honey to my nose. Honey, to me, is unpleasant and smells sticky and turns my stomach. BPAL's Honey is gorgeous and just sweet enough to where it's pleasantly sugary. This is also a lot smokier than I expected it to be, which leads me to think that there's a little bit of vanilla blended in here since it always goes smoky on me. Also, I get a slight hint of a licorice-like scent. Overall, I really like this.

I was more than a little surprised by Honey Single Note, because it didn't smell a bit like Honey.

It kinda smelled like Honey Mead, which is to say it smelled like booze. It was very sharp and more like the fragrance oil idea of something influenced by Honey...

I didn't like it, was expecting a true to life honey scent like sniffing a jar of honey. Many people get many things from BPAL, for me this wasn't honey, sadly.

This is really quite a delightful little scent. It is much more complex than I was anticipating, seeing as it is a single note and all...I like to try different floral honeys and this reminds me a lot of an almost savory Scottish heather honey that I bought once in London...as someone else said, this is not SiouxBee honey in a little plastic bear.

It is not a daily wear scent for me, but it is definitely the thing when I want to amp up my honey body products, or add just a little more honey to another blend. Definitely worth the price of admission. :P

I always want to describe the way that BPAL's honey smells on me as 'fuzzy'. I don't really know how to explain that impression, but it's always the first word that comes to mind for me.

This singlenote smells golden and sticky. I actually don't like the way that most honey scents smell on me though. It has an odd perfumey/smoky quality that makes me a bit sick to my stomach. This is definitely more of a perfumey scent than a sweet one.

Reminds me of the sharp honey in Hetairae. It's just awful on my skin.

honey.jpg

The Honey single note has never struck me as smelling like honey. I even have a hard time teasing my imagination to say "honey" when I smell it. I don't think this one is meant for single note consumption and perhaps it turns into something wonderful when you mix it with the right ingredients.

I agree with others who say it doesn't really smell like honey; it has none of that almost medicinal sharpness.

Instead, the honey SN smells to me like cocoa beans drizzled with honey and warmed up, so the two melt into each other and pervade the atmosphere with a deep, sticky-sweet scent.

This is a truly delicious scent, and it's making me hungry!

Surprisingly impressive throw, too. :P

A BIG favourite.

Single Note: Honey - This smells exactly like the honey note in BPAL blends. It's sweet and heavy and to me, smells nothing like real honey (yes, I stood there with a big jug of honey and my honey single note and did a sniff-comparison!) I can understand why people who like honey in BPAL blends would go crazy over this particular single note, because it is very distinctive and unique, but it's definitely not a scent for me. The throw is also very faint, and the scent fades almost completely within 2 hours after application.

When things are really really bad, or I want to smell really really good, I turn to Honey SN. As others have said, if you love O, you'll love this. I love O...

This is pure honey, untainted by amber or vanilla...but not too-sweet honey. Beeswax honey with layers. And as the day wears on, the sweetness lingers, reminding you with every waft that life holds sweetness, too.

I could mainline this forever...if I had access to enough of it.

This is such a lovely honey - golden, mildly sweet, very warm and 'intimate.' It's not at all cloying, as I would afraid it would be. I understand now why I've loved all of the Lab's blends that include honey!

What a wonderful scent. There really isn't much more to say - I can't exactly wax rhapsodic about the nuances of a single note. "Honey single note - there are distinct shades of lemon and petunia!" Uh... no. :P