Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Fig

Beth's single note in Fig didn't impress me out of the bottle. It was much more the sweet, imitation fig note that I smell in potpourris and generic home scents than the green, earthy fig notes I get from L'Artisan's Premier Figurier or Diptyque's dry Figurier, both of which I love dearly.

With a couple of minutes, though, this changed completely. While I can only claim having sniffed dried and relatively fresh fig fruits, this becomes a nice, sweet un-fruity fruit scent with a hint of earth and tartness. It's not the fig note I mentioned from L'Artisan or Diptyque, but it's gentle and sweet like I imagine a fig tree in bloom must smell like.

Pleasant and pleasing, although not remarkable as a stand-alone scent.

My first review :P

I'm partial to the fragrance of figs (ever have pizza with fig jam and carmelized onions? foodgasm). I really like b&bw fig body cream and picked this note hoping it would blend.

First Impression: In the bottle and wet on the skin, this smelled a bit artificial though pleasant.

Second Impression: As it began to dry it really reminded me of shopping at Spencer gifts at Liberty Tree Mall as a pre-teen. This Fig note is the smell of the shop and of these little tins of lip balm, the ones that the top of the tin was attached and would slide to the side to reveal these scented lippies.

Final analysis: After an hour this turned really nice, a bit sweet and even powdery. Similar to the body cream, I really think this will be a nice match.

This is incredible. Fig seems to be a couple places this season, and I was curious about it. I'd felt a vague attraction to it, thinking I might like it... but this is better than expected.

Both in the bottle and on it's warm and enfolding, like a winter kitchen hot and sweet from baking Yule cookies or, one might imagine, figgy pudding. :P

Three thumbs up... if I had a third hand (one more wrist to put the oil on! WHEE!).

Mmm, fig. As others have noted, it does smell rather artificial at first but that goes away and it smells more natural as the oil dries down. It's a sweet, dark fig and the scent of the oil makes me very, very hungry. It doesn't have much throw, however - I have to hold my arm within a few inches of my nose to be able to smell it once the oil's dried.

I find this fig single note very rich and intense. I wore it alone as a perfume recently and was amazed at its throw. Although I didn't pick up any notes that seemed artificial, this seems more deep, fruity and raisiny than a simple fresh fig, like sweetened figs to the Nth power or maybe even a fig wine. I don't think I will wear it alone again, but layered with something spicy or woody to temper the sweetness, I think it will be gorgeous.

I have a fig tree growing in my back yard, and in my experience fig scents never smell like the fruits on my tree. I was curious to see if Beth's fig would be different.

In bottle: Spicy and sweet, it's definitely fig. Unfortunately, it's fig like fig fragrances smell, not fig like the fruit on the tree.

On me: Oh, thank goodness. The artificial/false edge fades off and this is probably the closest I've ever come to a fig fragrance that matches the fruit. It's light and creamy with hints of spiciness. It does seem a bit weak on its own; but in blends it should be fabulous.

Wow, it turns out that fig is the note that overwhelmingly strikes me in Mata Hari. This is the exact scent that dominates for me in that blend and reminds me somewhat of toasted rice, slightly sweetened. It comes out in Cerberus as well but with a lighter, slightly citrusy twist.

I didn't think that I would like fig, I figured it would smell too much like some sort of baked good, but this came out as a rather nice slightly toasty sweet scent. I won't be afraid of blends that have fig in them now!

I am so glad I got a chance to smell fig. It is red and juicy to me. Almost like candy. It really helps pick out fig in Beth's other blends. I wont wear but I am glad I got a chance to smell it. I will definitely look forward to buying more fig blends.

Soft, warm and sexy.

I think that fig and tonka bean would do a perfect match.

Very, very voluptuous in a mature way (not girly at all).

Fig

This smells slightly reminiscent of pomegranate in the imp, which is weird. It's sweet, but also tart and quite dry and slightly green.

On the skin, a nice, soft, slightly waxy sweetness is apparent, but it still has a tangy, sharp, crisp, almost green scent. It's like slightly unripe figs and fig leaves. I really like the sweetness in this though, which reminds me of dried figs. The tangy scent tones down a bit as time passes and the fig scent 'ripens' very nicely from green figs to ripe red figs.

This is a lovely, tangy-sweet fruity scent, but again, I would prefer it as part of a blend. But I love the drydown of this.

Ok, fig does smell like olde country craft store at Christmas - that same sweet dusky reddish-violet berry.

It also reminds me of a lot of "holiday berry" scented candles and it doesn't have too much depth.

But it's nice. It's just a pleasant smell. There's something slightly musky behind the berry and it's not overly sweet. I can see using this as a very nice environmental scent, particularly around the holidays.

This should somehow get incorporated into a Yule blend :P

On me, no matter how much time passes, it smells the same as it does in the bottle.

I kind of want to lick my wrist. It's that "raspberry jam" scent....

I initially bought an impie of Fig before it was discontinued, and had to have a bottle. I now am the proud owner of a 5 ml of Fig (thanks to pranashakti!!) to love and adore. :P

Initially, it didn't smell much beyond regular figgyness, almost an artificial sweetener type of fig that you could possibly find in the grocery store next to the artificial vanilla extract.

On my skin though, it morphs into several different beautiful incarnations, from fresh, earthy, juicy-sweet figs that melt on my tongue, to a more "green" fig, drying down to a dark, drier fig note that still retained a bit of sweetness. :D :D

One of my top favorite single notes, though I find blends with fig notes sometimes don't work in my favor (Gomorrah being one of the not-nice ones).

Edited by Andromedii

In the imp, fig is rich, warm, and sort of earthily fruity, without smelling dirty. Applied to my skin, it is triggering a deja-vu for me, but I can't nail down where I've smelled this scent before...perhaps some scented candle I've had in the past, though I know I've never owned anything specifically fig-scented. This scent wears very close to my skin -- not a great deal of throw, but it smells very pleasant. It is almost berrylike, lacking only the sunny, "bright" aspect most berry scents have. Dry, the quality of the scent really doesn't change. It becomes just the slightest bit more mellow with time, but aside from that, I smell no difference between wet and dry.

I like the smell of fig. In blends like Intrigue, I love it. Alone, though... it is a bit bland. Fig smells very earthy and a bit wooden on me. The singlenote isn't overly sweet at all (more of a natural fig scent) and this doesn't have a lot of throw.

Bland, earthy fruit. I like this singlenote, but I don't see myself wearing it. I prefer the cocoa and fig scent of Intrigue.

fig.jpg

This is at once better than real figs and very much like a stand alone perfume. Dark brown and warm, there is a musk-like part of Fig that signals it's there but try and find me. Fig disappears after you put it on. Like violet scent I think your nose receptors get numbed by it and you cannot examine it as closely as you would like. This is good to smell but it isn't a dead-on replica of the smell of a fig, it's the glorified smell of a fig.*

*The perfect sig line.

at first: sweet and a bit juicy.

on: fruity and sweet.

half an hour later: this has a lovely nuttiness to it, but it's still mostly sweet.

1.5 hours later: sweet, a bit powdery, and wonderful.

3 hours later: very, very soft.

overall: fig is one note that i wasn't 100% sure i liked, but i definitely do.

In Bottle: Sweet and powdery

On Skin: I am so excited for this one. Wow! Fig actually reminds me of pomegranate just not as juicy and a bit darker whereas pomegranate is bright. This one is instantly powdery, but very sweet and yummy. It also seems to have a very slight spice. It also smells like a fruity chapstick or lipgloss, slightly artificial sadly. This single note doesn’t wow me like most of Beth’s SN’s do. It’s kind of… blah. Sorry! I do recognize the note from several other BPAL scents though, so it’s neat to have this imp since it really defines the fig in other blends now. The throw on this is super light and the scent fades very quickly.

Single Note: Fig - This is by far the prettiest single note I’ve smelled so far. I didn’t think I was going to like it since I have yet to find a single other fig scent out there that I like (anyone want my B&BW Fig & Brown Sugar body spray?), despite the fact that I love the taste and smell of fresh figs. However, the BPAL Fig SN is simply amazing. It’s almost spicy when I first apply it, but then it dries down to a sweet, creamy, and fleshy-fruit type scent, not exactly “juicy”, yet still “fruity”. There isn’t much throw, but the staying power seems to be about 2½ to 3 hours on my skin, which isn’t too bad. I haven’t cared for most of the BPAL scents that have fig in them, but now that I’ve smelled the single note and have gained a great appreciation for it, I think I may want to try some of the BPAL fig blends again and give them a second chance.

I don't actually know what a fig smells like. But I do like Fig SN. It's a great autumn smell. You probably will not like it if you can't stand potpourri, though. Because that's what it smells like. Harvest potpourri.

First sniff: YES YES YES. It’s that damned elusive fig. Fig is a very weird note to me – any time I read a scent description and see it in the notes, it leaps out as really obvious, but if I don’t know it’s there I can’t figure out what it is. This is it, firmly pinned down for me in a decant from the lovely and talented Brumbjorn. And it’s mouthwateringly gorgeous, which doesn’t hurt.

Wearing: Wow, this is good. It’s perfectly rich and dark and … squishy, but in a fuzzy teddy-bear way.

This is very rich and fruity - I definitely recognize this as being a key note in blends like Freak Show and other figgies, but on its own, Fig is much more...sparkly, for lack of a better word.

VERY sweet and juicy...and makes me realize that Gomorrah smells like Fig SN on me :lol:

A lovely scent, and lasts for hours. Sweet, Juicy, a wee bit musky but not, and a teensy bit earthy.

Maybe it's my skin chemistry and BPAL's fruit SN, but I found Fig SN to be more about a fig perfume than a straight up fig. Again, on wet it smelled more like fig skin, slightly fragrant figgy but much fruitier in comparison to the D'Anjou Pear. After it dries, it smells slightly sweeter - but it ultimately dries to a powdery, darker figgy floral.

Uhhh. Huzzah for not wanting more SNs? ;)