Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rainbow

Thalia

Plumeria, pear and white champagne.

In the bottle: plumeria.
On skin: plumeria. I get nothing of the pear or champagne. At all. This lasts like five hours on me and I get no pear whatsoever (which is one of my favorite notes)and no champagne. I like plumeria and all, but I am sad about the absence of the pear. Wahhhh! Maybe I'll try it again when it has aged a bit.

When wet this is all floral - and much to my surprise it's a floral I really really like. I assume this is the plumeria as it's a new note to me. As it dries the pear bursts forth all sweet and juicy, and just a hint of wine in the throw.

It doesn't really change on me too much, the pear dominates the plumeria until it fades away after a few hours. I normally much prefer fruit to florals but in this case I wanted the flowers back! Having said that I do like this and I'm glad the lab sent me it. It strikes me as being perfect for spring or early summer.

Two things I love: plumeria and pear. My boyfriend also REALLY loves plumeria, as he spent a few years of childhood in Hawai'i.

Imp: Sweet, juicy pears. I remember this is how Juliet started for me, but it didn't stay that way. I'm hopeful for this one.

Wet: Plumeria! Yes! This is what I want. I've been searching for a scent with plumeria for years. Yay! I can't believe I can smell this and not be in Maui. Oh this is really special.

Dry: Yummy pear and fragrant plumeria, in perfect balance. I get both at different times. So delightful. =)

Final Thoughts: This is fantastic. It's like I'm in Hawai'i again. I can't believe how wonderful this scent is. BIG BOTTLE for me. Yum.

Out of the bottle: Sweet and floral with a hint of champagne.

On skin: Subtle, sent of plumeria is most noticable. A great summer fragrance.

When I was a wee little fourth-grader, my aunt introduced me to BBW & the supply of goodies within. I used my allowance to buy TWO WHOLE BARS OF SOAP. The first one I tried was plumeria. It made me happy and I sniffed it a lot and went "WHEEE SMELL THIS IT'S PRETTY".

Thalia is that plumeria, except it grew up a ton and got some cute new friends and extended its own metaphor a bit too far.

It was a bizarre, nearly sickly floral in the imp, but on me it just mellowed and became a perfect blend. My skin tends to amp single notes, but here everything just played. Plumeria with a cool fruitiness to it, and just a bit of sharp sparkle from the champagne. Fun and bright and completely springlike. Love it!

ETA: ... unfortunately, after a couple uses, that first brightness disappeared and it just. kept. mellowing. down into this weird plasticky-smooth fake thing. :| Ah well.

Edited by modernsaints

Thalia is very much plumeria for me. Not really anything else to it. Maybe a touch of pear, but that's it. Very tropical!

In the imp: sour, perfumey smell. A bit floral, but with a citrus note that smells like grapefruit. I'm not getting pear from this at all.

Wet on skin: How strange. Now it's very pink-grapefruitish with maybe a hint of rose?

Drydown: It's becoming sweeter as time goes on. Almost like pink grapefruit candy, but not the really tart kind of candy, more like a lemon drop.

One hour later: Now it's turned very floral -- must be the plumeria -- and has the sort of overall impression that I think of when I think "perfume." Something rather unpleasantly alcoholish and astringent on top of a bit of tangy fruit and a strong floral. This would give me a headache if it had any throw to speak of. I can detect a bit of pear now, but it's overpowered by the floral.

Throw: Minimal. Unless my nose is very close, I can't get much of a whiff.

Verdict: Sadly, another one for the swap pile. I had hopes for it when it was in the pink-grapefruit candy phase, but the final scent is too much like the Giorgio or Primo from the 80's. I really wanted to like this one, but the plumeria was just too much.

Thalia is definitely plumeria and pear. There is a hint of grape-y tartness in the background. This perfume is radiant and stayed true throughout its life. I see a pale lilac color when I smell it.

While it's friendly and bright, downright cheerful, I'm bored with it. I must be weird because I like complex or, dare I say it, strange perfumes. This is a little too "vanilla" for me.

In the vial, this is just a lovely pear, really, I want to love it.. the second it gets on my skin though, it goes bonkers, and all I get is not-so-bubbly sticky champagne. Meep. Maybe I'll have more luck just using it as a locket scent.

In the vial (initial impression):

Surprisingly, this smells just like lily of the valley when in the vial! Mm. I love those flowers.

Initially on (wet):

A heavy floral - plumeria, I take it - mixed with light fruits and a tiny dab of champagne. Pleasant, very pleasant. A tranquil sort of scent.

Wearing it (dry):

10-20 mins after application, it made me think of plums for a while, but now it's a lovely mingle of fresh pears and sparkly champagne.

20-30 mins after application, the plumeria is coming through and enhancing the scent tenfold. :D Ahhh...

An hour later, it's still a lovely, cheerful scent. Mm, I think I might wear this for new years!

6 hours later, the perfume has faded away a LOT, despite the fact that I put quite a lot on. Shame. The slightest hint of pear remains.

Finally:

A keeper - it was lovelier than I could imagine. :P

Sweet bubbly blend that is light and effervescent. Heavy on the plumeria - an intoxicating fragrance that I love when smelled from our tree, but may be a bit much on my wrist. This strikes me as a very girly fragrance in the traditional sense - heady and feminine.

I love it...a sweet, white floral! That is a rare find. Usually white florals go the way of "floriental" which turns old ladyish on me. I think the sweetness is the pear coming through. I only smell the champagne at the very begginning and then the plumeria and pear as equals, but definately standing seperate. After about 30 minutes the pear and plumeria homogenize and it's a lovely, oozy sweet floral. Delish!

Not a scent for me. very floral. reminds me of taking magnolia blossoms into the house. they smell so sweet, but after awhile you are just tired of it.

I think i just like very complicated scents, it's easy to pick out what this one is made of.

I wish this were plumeria! Or even pear. On me, though, it was mostly tickly champage, with a faint, generic floral behind it. But not at all the lovely plumeria I smelled in Hawaii... I thought it'd be better as a room scent, but the candle wax and oil combination recommended elsewhere in the forum failed miserably and I only smelled plain candle scent. If I get another imp, I'll give it another try -- but the floral and fruit in this was not at all distinctive or strong on the first try.

Being a lover of all things pear, I have always wanted to try Thalia, but for some reason this scent languished on my wishlist for far too long.

By the time I finally got an imp from the lovely Neptunienne, I have to admit that I had completely forgotten what the listed notes were!

The overall impression I got from Thalia was similar to the general feel of Eos: sunny, happy, perfect balance between fruit and flowers. For some reason, I kept smelling peach as the head note, even though I see that it is not listed as a component. Of pear and champagne, however, there was none that I can recall. Thalia is very enjoyable nonetheless and I will have to try it again, this time paying more attention to the other notes besides peach. A definite keeper, even with the ever-elusive pear MIA!

Edited by Ishtar

i think this scent is the non-floral lover's scent :P Because the floral aspect is so nicely complementary to the other notes that you barely notice that it's floral. the pear is wonderful green and bright, with just a touch of sweetness. This is bright and lovely, and possibly a less floral cousin of Amsterdam. delightful! the sweetness of the pear comes out more during the dry-down phase.

The over-all smell of this is golden pear. Pear and plumeria are the two dominant notes and the white champagne sort of brings them together so that they're not too sweet. It's a delicious scent and reminds me of a pear's version of the hesperides. It definitely is raising my mood. It's a keeper and may turn into a big bottle.

Upon first sniff I can easily identify all three notes, and they blend together in an interesting combination. It's rather unusual, because I can't tell if I enjoy this scent or if I don't. Very intriguing.

As I put it on it's still an interesting scent. None of the scents are particularly jumping out rather than blending nicely. Again, I'm not sure if I like it are not

Ok, I've decided that it's not going to work for me. After a while the white champagne kind of takes front seat pushing the pear and plumeria to the back, which is sad because it definitely does not really appeal to me now. I think I would have enjoyed it if it had stayed how it started out on my skin with a nice exotic blend of everything

Initial Impression: sweet, fruity floral

On Wet: pear

On Dry: faint wine

Final Impression: I'm not a fan of pear or wine, so this isn't really to my liking.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 2

On me, this could be a plumeria single note scent. I truly get nothing else from this, though my boyfriend swears he can smell the champagne. It is a pretty enough scent, though it is a bit similar to the plumeria line of items from Bath and Body Works, which again, isn't bad, since that does smell good.. just not something I really go out of my way to smell like. This would be pretty to wear in the spring with like.. a new skirt and some cute shoes to maybe, walk around the park, in the sunshine.

In the Imp (wet): Yummy juicy sweet Chinese pear and what smells like the tiniest hint of almond.

On me: There's this juicyness that drives me crazy with happiness. It reminds me of standing on a porch with a glass of white wine, looking over full fruit orchards on a chilly evening. It's a lovely day scent for the weekend or just hanging out. Unfortunately it tickles my nose if applied early in the morning. An annoying aspect, but tolerable.

In the imp: Fruity, but in a bubble-gum sort of a way -- there's a sugary sweetness to it.

Wet: It smells just like a gumball, oddly enough.

Drying: Oh, hey, flowers? Flowery gumballs? I think it's the plumeria, trying to peek out around whatever odd reaction is making it smell like gumballs. I guess maybe my skin doesn't like this one so much. It's funny how spot-on it was in its impression of gumballs, though. :P

I swear I've tried this imp a million times, but something has always preventing me from typing up the review. On me, Thalia is a champagne base with a floral top note. There's not a lot of pear in here, although when I sniff it in the imp, I can pick up on some of the pear. I think the pear and champagne blend very well together on my skin, but the champagne is what I really smell. The plumeria is a bit of a watery floral, but very pleasant. Unfortunately, this one does not have long wear for me, which is a shame, because I really the like champagne and I really like the strong wet stage.

Yum! Fruity plumeria fun times!

I was really excited to try the Yule '07 Noche Buena because of the plumeria. (And yes, that is totally because of Bath and Body Works. Sue me ; -) When I tried Noche Buena, the plumeria was so dominant and fresh that it was a little too high-pitched (so to speak) for my taste.

Thalia is what I anticipated Noche Buena to be - a bright, sparkly, yet soft, plumeria blend. The clean fruitiness of the pear and champagne really round out the fresh floral, and it blends together into a happy little scent. I am getting a hint of light musk here as well.

I'm finding out that every BPAL with pear in it is made of gold on me. (here's lookin' at Juliet, my favorite GC so far!)

I am naive for wanting Noche Buena to smell like this, because for someone who wants a true plumeria scent, they should find it in Noche Buena.

Thalia, however, is just glorious on me, and I totally love it! I knew I would, just from reading the description. I see a 5mL in my future : -) It's an energetic, cheerful blend.

4.7 out of 5

In Vial: sweet, fruity, I smell the pear and plumeria

Wet: Sweetness even stronger. I smell the same notes, just twice as strong.

Drydown:The plumeria comes out the strongest with the pear blending in the background. I don't really smell the champagne. This blend is very sweet indeed.