Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lucretia

Verdandi

Deep herbs and apple with black amber.

In the imp: apply herbs, with a slight soap afterwhiff.

On the wrist: Very apple-y, with herbs wafting through. And maybe some moss? *checks description*

Got distracted. Three hours later: Still there! And the scents that do that are few and far between. It swaps between and herby apple and a sort of generic. It either blends or it doesn’t, varying on whiff. It’s a bit odd, but very pleasant. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle – Soft red apple and a background of herbs

Wet on me – Fresh red apples

Dry on me – Mainly apples, before fading into soft green slightly soapy herbs

Overall – This blend is pleasant enough, but didn’t excite me

Starts off as a lovely, tart apple, with a hint of something golden and sweet in the background - just a bright, sunny apple scent. Very reminiscent of The Hesperides (but a lot less sugary.)

And then - about 30 minutes in - HERB POWER, GO GO. And it turns into a dead ringer for Punkie Night, which was the exact same potpourri/scented-candle-shop smell. I smell like a super classy bathroom. It was so good until then, too!

I can certainly smell the apple. That fades back and the other things come up. No one note stands out any more. Interesting.

In the imp/wet: OMG apple. Lots and lots of apple! I love it! :P

Drying down: Soft apples. Not much throw. D: I wish it had more. Either way, though, I might need a bottle of this - I love the smell of apples. And maybe it'll stick around and play nice more if I slather it...

ETA: Totally dry, this is a woodsy apple - I'm imagining an abandoned apple farm, with rampant green up and around the apple trees.

In the locket, this is a very pure, sweet sugared apple. The combination is great - bottle for sure.

Edited by River

Wet: Lightly green and aquatic.

Drydown: Cinnamon lightly infuses the scent. Verdandi seems like Autumn-lite, over a still pond.

Dry: Cinnamon with a faint tinge of baked apples.

Overall: Verdandi certainly wasn't what I expected. I loved the wet and drydown stages, but I think this one isn't for me, sadly.

imp: faint apples with a woody/herby note. not getting any amber yet.

wet: herbed apples. this is not as woodsy an apple as the hesperides nor as virulent an apple as poisoned apple. very nice!

dry: this reminds me of poisoned apple... but a more tame, less sharp scent. why do i still only have an imp of this? added to the bottle list!

Verdandi

This reminds me of Yankee Candle (which is a good thing). It's a complex apple that feels like Autumn. These initial stages are gorgeous. The Lab's apple, on me, is wonderful but fades extraordinarily quickly.

As it wears, the apple becomes less apple and more perfume-y. It's a fresh and bright perfume that's warm and herbal.

[ 3 - Like ] Too bad the apple doesn't stick around.

Upon trying to open Verdandi.. let's just say there was a mishap and..a decent portion got on my hand. So much that.. it gave me a bit of a headache, which really most scents can do if applied in excess so, that is not a knock on this particular scent so much as maybe.. a warning that my review might be a slight bit biased based on the sheer amount I was smelling :P

Anywho, this starts out really nice, really appley, this is what I was hoping DKNY Red Delicious (which is nice but a bit.. meh for me) would be. Then.. the apple mostly goes away and I am left smelling of.. potpourri, nice potpourri but.. potpourri none the less. It's still a nice scent, a bit too.. traditional perfumey for me (I often find that tradition perfumes remind me a lot of.. tradition potpourris :D ) I wish the apple were a tad stronger overall.

Ahhhh, Verdandi! How I love thee, let me count the ways...

In the imp and fresh on the skin: fresh, crisp, juicy apple that has just had a bite taken out of it. Yum!

Then the amber and spices emerge and this morphs into the most warm, glowing, spicy, and radiant apple smell ever!

This is my favorite BPAL apple scent so far! I think it transcends simple fruity apple territory into gorgeous applelicious perfume heaven! :D

It's spicy, sensual, and crisp!! I LLUUUUURRRRVVVE this one! It's to die for! More plz, kthnx! 1-5=eleventybillion! :D

An all-time favorite here - and this is from someone who tends to not go for fruity scents!! :P

I really like this one quite a bit, enough that I purposely smell my arm and smile every once in a while. It fades after about 3 hours, so reapplication is necessary, but I can live with that. I don't smell the herbs, but I can smell something tempering everything else, and I can smell the amber behind the apple. I think it's green apple and not red apple, and it smells really good. Mmm! The amber and herbs I think prevent it from being particularly food, but it does remind me of fall. I'm keeping the imp and considering a bottle.

This was my first time reading the description, and I'm amazed at what is in it!

When I first put it on, my first reaction was "omg, this is like Ostara!" (my first BPAL love, and my only wearable one at the moment). This makes no sense to me because Ostara reads:

"Our springtime celebratory perfume is crafted with orris root, bergamot, frankincense, daffodil, orange pulp, attar of rose, jonquil, strawberry leaf, benzoin, violet leaf, copal, honey cakes, sweet cream, and the blossoms of springtime."

Verdandi comes off sweeter (in a fruity way) on me with a backdrop of wine...I could see apple in it if this was a strong cider, but other than that...Perhaps that wine-like smell is from the amber + herbs, though there is certainly no herb-ilke smell as I'd imagine it.

5 out of 5

wet: light, dry herbs -- they seem more floral than herbal -- with sweet amber. The sweetness maybe comes from the apple, but doesn't really stand out as apple.

dry: Wow, this has morphed into something much richer and more interesting. I've been trying to think of what it reminds me of, and it's old country stores. It smells a bit like potpourri. The main quality is apple with dry, slightly spicy herbs. The amber blends with the apple and helps to ground it, so it has more of a general sweet quality than a fruit quality. I can't pin the apple as either red or green, so perhaps it's a blend.

The dryness is nicely balanced by the amber and apple. This is really nice! Definitely recommended to apple and amber fans. Throw is about average -- don't know about wear life.

In the imp: sharp apple with a tang of something not quite apple-y.

On skin, wet- pure apple, like I'd applied concentrated apple juice.

Drydown- still apples. I honestly don't get much else. It's a very foody smell on me. And I'd swear that this is the exact same apple note found in Samhain '07, which is a favourite of mine. Some blends with apple turn nutty on me for some unfathomable reason, but this one stays true.

Staying power: not the best. Was pretty much gone after two hours.

Throw: Only a little, in my case. My skin chemistry found nothing to amp here.

This is a nice enough scent. I find nothing at all to dislike about it, but at the same time, nothing in it really hooked me in.

This was a very strong apple scent on application, slightly sweet and herby though. Like you just picked it.

The amber gives it a sweet golden tone to it.

It kinda puts me in mind of the Poisoned Apple, but not. Whereas PA was sinister, Verdandi is more mysterious.

I don't know, I'm sort of on the fence with this one. I can smell the apple now that I know it's there, but it frequently gets overpowered by the herbs when it's on my skin and leaves a really chemically smell behind that I can pretty much taste. I think I would like this more if it were more apple scent and less everything else, but it's not necessarily bad, either. Probably wouldn't wear it very often, though.

Rating: 5/10

I smell like a super classy bathroom.

I think you just described how it smells on me, or as close as I could come.

I can smell the apple really well in the vial, and when I first put it on. However, the apple faded away within 10-15 minutes of putting it on I found myself liking the scent less and less as the day wore on.

Maybe the herbs just don't agree with me? (Or I don't agree with the herbs, as the case may be.)

I may have to try it again later, though, get a second opinion on how it is.

Apples and herbs. It smells exactly how I expected it to from the description. Not bad if you're an apple-seeker, but I'm not interested in Verdandi, myself.

2.5 out of 5

I got this as a frimp in my last order and tried it without reading the description. On first sniff, I get sugared melon, which sticks around for the first few moments on my wrists. After a while, as it dries, it ends up smelling a bit like one of those wax tarts you put in a tart warmer to scent your home. Maybe that's the apple coming out (I've since read the description), because that smell softens and it's definitely more appley. It's pretty light on me, and the staying power isn't looking good, but I think this will make an excellent warm-weather scent.

I must have a strange nose, because I don't smell apples in this (or maybe they're really faint). To me, this smells like Christmas -- not because it smells like spruce, but because it smells of rich spices (like mulled wine and rich foods) and brings to mind jewel tones and gold.

It's quite strong -- I don't need to bring my wrists up to my nose to smell it (unlike Dana O'Shee, which I tried this morning). It also seems like it could be worn by either gender without seeming out of place.

ETA: This might sound kind of nutty, but if Verdandi were a sound, it would sound like the high, clear note of a brass bell being struck strongly. It's got kind of a rounded, echoing quality to it. (I'm not sure if this will help anyone know what it smells like, but every time I get a whiff of it, I think of that bell. :P)

Edited by Acedia

On me, this smelled almost exactly like apple jack & peel potpourri my friend's mom was in love with. I had to immediately wash it off. I love apple scents, but Beth's apples don't seem to work with my chemistry. :P

Wet: Apples! Green apples, everywhere! I didn't know that was possible without, well, being in a room with a lot of freshly sliced apples. Wow.

Dry: Smokier, darker, a much more rounded and full-bodied scent. The apples are still there, and I think I'm getting the amber but not much of the herbs. It's definitely a black and green smell, but I'm finding it hard to pin down or define. I think it'd be a lovely smell for a house, but I'm not sure that it's a good thing on me.

In the imp: Crisp, Granny Smith apples

Wet: Granny Smith apples with a hint of something deeper.

Dry: Apple goodness.

Overall: I love this scent and had to get a vial of it.

Initial thoughts: Having discovered I really, really love fruit scents, I was looking for something a bit more low key than Shango or Teenage Cannibal. This might just fit the bill.

In the imp: Mmm... soapy herbal, amber, and then the apple - quite a sharp, tart apple it is too, a far cry from the bright red juicy thing in Shango. Not liking or disliking particularly at this point.

On the wrist, wet: Oh, now that's more like it! Tart yellow apple, wet muted herbs (Nothing heavy here) with some underlying body which might be coming from the amber. I definately approve - I'm at a loss as to when I would actually wear it, but I like it a lot.

Fifteen minutes later: The apple's dried a little but it's still prominent. The herbs are dry and musty, and I just get the amber. This is indeed low key (Quite a skin-hugger), but still noticably a fruit scent. I'm really quite keen on this as a well behaved day-time scent - it's not flashy or immediately obvious like some of my fruit favourites, but it's a quietly vibrant and assertive little scent. It's got energy and flair (And is a little bit sexy) while remaining distinctly under the radar. I can see myself getting a lot of use out of this one.

Verdict: Keeper, and a bottle when the imp runs out.

Tl;Dr: Dry herbs and tart apple strengthened by the amber. Mature and low key, but with energy and personality.