Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Dirty

A wonderful antidote to an all-nighter oozing with drunken, addled perversion and debauchery. A fresh, crisp white linen scent: perfectly clean, perfectly breezy.

It smells like a dryer sheet! Very light and very fresh! Dry, it turns into a subtle floral. There's not a lot to say about this, really. It doesn't smell traditionally "perfumey" - so it's a good choice if you don't want to smell like anything in particular.

Sweet, light, cheerful. I don't get "dryer sheet" or "laundry", it is so much better than that. And no soapiness on me at all.

It makes me happy to wear it, it seems like there are touches of melon or apple, mixed in with sweet white florals. I don't think anyone could be in a bad mood when they wore this, because the scent itself is so happy. It immediately shot into my top 10. It's true it doesn't last as long as I'd like on my my skin, but it lasts forever in my hair, and I don't think I'll mind slathering this! I love Dirty, and will be getting a bottle my next order! :P

Edited by empi girl

In the vial: What a shock, it's not at all dirty! :P It smells of a pleasant sort of laundry detergent.

Wet and beyond: It remains a floral laundry detergent. The notes say clean linen and it *is* fresh. Personally, though, this is something I want my clothing to smell like, not my skin. Also, pretty as it is, even if I didn't get laundry detergent connotations from it, it's far too floral for my tastes.

In the bottle: flowers and something very tangy, certainly ozone.

Wet: white sheets and nondescript flowers

Drydown: clean, breezy sheets with a faint floral fabric softener... it's the scent of airing rooms. I wish I could tell which kind of floral this is, but it doesn't seem to be one in my repertoire... some people have suggested plumeria, but I have no idea what it is. Actually, there seems to be a little bit of white rose in it, just a touch. And even some fruits... could it be peach that I catch subtle whiffs of?

Overall: A lovely, lovely scent. People love it on me, they say it's radiant - I can just see it as pure white. I also think it's very comforting. I have no idea what's in this, it's too well blended to tell, and it doesn't matter: it just smells like clean white cotton drying in the sun, clean and warm. Absolutely lovely, and possibly a big bottle.

Edited by Meg

Maybe I don't mind florals as long as there is some fruit in there to offset them.

This is very pleasant. Not very interesting, but as others have pointed out, one is not always in the mood for interesting.

Smells a little bit like a fruit flavored chewing gum, which I don't mind. And a little bit like something washed in scented laundry soap, which I also don't mind.

Maybe a good one for when you want to feel pretty and normal, even if you're not.

This is the first imp I have tried out of my very first order. I am so in love with this scent.

When I opened it I got dryer sheets and apples. LOL I seem to be the only one to get apples...but keep in mind I am new to BPAL so I have an untrained nose.

This smelled yummy. I got the image of burying my nose in fresh from the dryer warm towels. Then as it settled I get a lovely crisp, soapy floral to go along with the dryer scents.

I think this would be a great scent to wear when you don't feel like wearing any. When you just want to smell good and not really smell like anything. My very next order is going to have a 10ml of this one. I love smelling Dirty.

In the bottle: clean laundry. Not dryer sheets, not soap, but clean laundry fresh from the dryer.

Wet: clean laundry.

Dry down: doesn't morph, still clean laundry with a hint, of citrus. I like this very much.

30 minutes: still clean laundry and a hint of citrus. Nice.

Conclusion: I love it. It would be great sprayed on sheets, when they lose that fresh from the dryer smell but are too clean to wash again just to get that. A room scent, a body scent. This is excellent stuff. Not to mention I love the irony of the name and the scent. I love telling people the name of the BPAL scents when I am wearing them. :P

Rating on my skin, this is a 4.

vial ~ Flowers. Clean flowers. Lightly sweetened clean floral! It somehow brings the image of clean cotton to mind. A clean cotton dress fresh out of the dryer, wrinkle-free and ready to wear.

wet ~ Very light plumeria. I can barely smell it at all. Fabric softener!

dry ~ Aw, it's gone now. There is a light remnant of a Febreeze-type scent. But it's not nearly as chemical as Febreeze. If flowers could be forced into smelling like fabric softener, I guess this is what they'd end up smelling like.

It's funny but it's almost an aquatic note. It smells so airy it nearly becomes watery to me. I wouldn't say it's unpleasant but not something I want to smell like. :P

Edited by amberlox

In the imp: Oh, wow, it really is fresh, clean, wind-dried linen.

On me, wet: It now becomes apparent that the laundry detergent was citrus-based. Otherwise, yep, still much like sticking my head in a pile of freshly-laundered towels.

On me, dry: Hmm, it fades down a lot, and fairly quickly, to leave just a slight powdery citrus smell.

Verdict: I like this a lot while it's still around; I'm not sure I want to *wear* it, but I think it could be nice as, say, a linen-cupboard scent. Definitely keeping the imp to sniff at, anyway, and I might get a bottle if I can work out how to make this into a cupboard scent.

Edited by storme

The lab’s description says it all. Clean linen. It’s wonderful and not at all perfumey. I need a bottle of this- I think it’ll be great on those insanely hot days in the summer. I think this would also be a good imp for non BPALers to try, it’s just lovely.

This is weird. When I have my nose to my skin, I can smell the linen. But away, I'd swear I was wearing Dana O'Shee. It's almondy. So weird. Nice and pretty, but not at all what I expected.

In the bottle: Clean, with a very faint undertone of something fruity, but not lemon. Pear, I think.

Wet: Much the same, with that slight fruit scent.

Dry: The fruit's gone. Smells just like laundry on a warm spring day, not cold or chemical and faintly scented with the neighbor's garden. (And believe me, I know - my dad stops using the dryer as soon as it hits fifty degrees outside!)

Verdict: I want more so that I can turn it into a room scent. And possibly wear it on days when I feel like Febreeze-ing myself.

Quick sniffy impressions:

Sharply folded sheets of white stationery with the faintest flowery perfume. If there is writing, it is from a silver-nibbed fountain pen. The Scarlet Pimpernel's Percy Blakeney would use these.

Man, this REALLY smells like laundry. Nice, clean, freshly washed laundry, drying in the sun. Nothing else is evoked, just precisely this image.

Also, it was gone after an hour. However, when I sniffed the spot, it made me sneeze though I didn't detect anything.

In the bottle: Lightly floral and soapy, but in a good way. Not too sharp. Just like the description says, this smells clean.

First application: More floral and less soapy. I want to say gardenia, maybe plumeria? It's delicate, very pretty.

Drying: Clean, white cotton sheets scented with a nice fabric softener, hung in the afternoon sun to dry. The scent is very light, doesn't really smell like perfume at all, which is kind of nice.

Dry: This scent doesn't change much from bottle to skin, which is good as I really liked it in the bottle. It reminds me of pulling clean clothes out of the laundry basket, still warm. I've always loved that scent (even though I hate folding the laundry itself).

30 minutes later: Not much throw; it's starting to fade already, actually. Just a touch sweeter as it matures.

Final verdict: It's a good spring/summer scent, for those bright blue-sky days, when the temperature is perfect and you wish the day would go on forever... in other words, I really like it. I'll probably get a 5ml of it eventually because I'm sure I'll use up my imp, but I know too many people who are sensitive to scents to really wear this one too often. It'd probably make a great linen or room spray.

this is a soft bubbly floral. probably is plumeria or another tropical floral, like others have said. it's very summery and light. not my sort of thing so i will swap it.

in the vial: A clean-smelling, soap/detergent/dryer sheets smell.

wet: Exactly the same - clean soap/shampoo or laundry scent

dry: This is so, so faint. I can only smell it at all by sniffing right on my skin. It is a pretty, clean perfume for someone who doesn't like to be too adventurous with their scents. It would be fun to put this on, throw open the windows, and do some spring cleaning. And yes. I do like cleaning. I know I'm odd!

season: Any.

office-friendly? Yep, would be about as inoffensive as possible.

overall: I like this quite a lot - when I can actually smell it. This is probably the fourth time I've tested this one, and I haven't had strong enough impressions of it to really write a review, even with slathering it on all over. My skin must just soak this one up. I know I'll love the imp, but I'll have to see about a bottle.

Ok, when I was a kid I used to go outside when my mom was doing laundry, and sit under the dryer exhaust thinger forever. Then, as I got older, I just used to grab a box of Bounce dryer sheets and sniff it all day. I even laid them around my room.

Dirty is like liquid Bounce dryer sheets. It is the scent I have been searching for since childhood!

*douses self in it*

Bonus points for my boyfriend walking into the house and saying “mmm… it smells really good in here!” :-D

6 out of 5 stars! LOL.

Simply put, mmmmm laundry!! Smells like dryer sheets, or perhaps that short-lived but much-adored (by me) Bounce Fabric Refresher spray. Maybe that is why, while I like it fine on me, I really, really want to put it in an oil burner to scent my apartment, and make a linen spray out of it to freshen things up. Mmm, so nice.

Dirty

In the imp: a gorgeous floral! This does resemble clean laundry, but washed with the finest detergent. This is a clear, clean but not soapy floral.

Wet on skin: it’s now a little bit fruity! This is lovely and fresh, perfect for summer.

Dry: mmm, I like this! It’s very strong scent, but a lovely one-watery florals and very sweet juicy fruits (pear, with a background of breezy ozone and clean linen. This is the finest quality sheets washed with the ‘detergent of the gods’ (the only way I can describe this scent-this isn’t a fake, cloying or soapy scent whatsoever-it’s what washing powder should be) drying in the sunshine, blowing in the breeze. It’s warm yet fresh, dry yet moist, it’s surprisingly wonderful!

After a while: after a while it sweetens a lot, it’s fruitiness increases, and the scent reminds me of a cross between Budding/Peony Moon and the unreleased Toxin. There may be a touch of light musk here too, and I think there’s plum blossom in here as well, maybe some melon as well.

The drydown is pretty much the same-a sweet, light fruit-floral with clean cloth and ozone. It doesn’t get oversweet, which is a good thing-I think the ozone/aquatic notes in here prevent this from happening.

Verdict: I was a little bit worried that a scent based on clean laundry would turn to soap or the dreaded washing powder on me…not so with Dirty. This is the best clean-clothes scent I’ve smelt, miles better than any Bold or Daz or Ariel or Persil, that’s for sure! This is what laundry should smell like-fresh, fruity, floral, sweet and clean with a bit of ozone. It’s a light, breezy scent which is perfect for summer. Now, if only there was a way I could add this to my washing machine to make my clothes smell Dirty!!

Emoticon rating: :P

Not much more to add: except this is a light happy, peaceful perfume. I do not get laundry associations with it, just an impression of a "white" scent. Dirty is dryer than Unicorn, a little sharper and fruitier than Berenice, and doesn't have the initial "barf" stage like Arachne. (Da Merry One loves her teh white scents!)

Dirty will likely become a big bottle in the future and become a daily staple.

Dirty is a lovely irony. It's very clean, a lovely light not-fruit, not-floral. I don't get laundry out of it, not really. It just smells like sunlight to me. (Well, okay, maybe a bit of laundry. Sun-dried sheets. More sun than sheets, though.)

It makes me think of pear and gladiola, although I'm sure that neither are actually involved in this. It's not too sweet, just... comfortable in a way that I haven't quite come across before. It's comfortable in a different way than Antique Lace; Antique Lace was being comfortable with someone else; Dirty is being comfortable with yourself.

This actually reminds me of a milder Lightning, a bit of ozone without the sharpness. Given how much I love Lightning, this can only be a good thing.

Hmm. Laundry softener sheets. Gone rather dry and powdery. It really does smell like fresh-washed laundry... but this is not, on reflection, something I want to smell like. It is very neutral, though, if you're looking for a not-scented scent.

In the imp: Uh-oh...it's clear. Historically, this does not bode well. On first sniff, it is very clean and sharp.

Wet: You know, I must admit that is not nearly as bad as I guessed it would be. There's a slight edge of the usual staleness I associate with white musk and honey on my skin at first, but like others have said, this comes off as very floral. I also see where people are coming up with the laundry association.

Drydown and wear: There's not a lot of change here, though the floral does acquire a more tropical edge. This is also a lot stronger than I thought it would be--I'm trying it at the same time as Yerevan and it is the one I smell first. I really, really can't believe I'm writing this (I received this as a frimp, in case y'all didn't guess already), but I think like this. Seriously, from the descriptions offered by the site, Dirty was in the "bottom five I would purchase of my own free will," but now I'm probably going to keep the imp.

As always, I can do naught but tip my hat to Beth.

Dirty - When first applied, this smells like clear, white tea. I was expecting the scent of linens, not tea! However, as the scent dried down, the tea scent vanished, and the longer I wore this blend, the more it really did begin to smell like fresh linens, but not clean out of the washer -- more like fresh, hanging-on-the-line-to-dry-in-the-sun linens. It's really nice and clean and softly sweet like the smell of fresh air, but it's too subtle for me. It's a fabulous scent that people who prefer subtle, light scents would probably like a lot. For me, it's just not one I find myself particularly drawn to.