Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

The search for the perfect Violet....

sooo.... anyone who's tried Violet Ray and Bruised Violet Compound wanna compare and contrast them for the crowd? (I will probably order imps of both with the next update, but would love to hear comparisons of them from the violet connoisseurs around here.)

sooo.... anyone who's tried Violet Ray and Bruised Violet Compound wanna compare and contrast them for the crowd? (I will probably order imps of both with the next update, but would love to hear comparisons of them from the violet connoisseurs around here.)

I've only sniffed (not skin-tested) Violet Ray. I love (no, LOVE) Bruised Violet Compound. It's a very earthy, spring mix. First I smell the patchouli. The root seems more subtle than the leaf. Next I get the smashed violet essence with a hint of earthy moss. The only complaint I have about BVC is that it doesn't last very long on me -- at most an hour and a half. :P I never get the current, but I do sense an overall sweeting of the blend as it drys.

Voilet Ray (in the bottle) smells lighter and more floral/less earthy or grounded than BVC.

Don't know if that helps.

Much love for Bruised Violet Compound! I haven't been impressed enough to skin-test my imp of Violet Ray.

Unfortunately, in my personal chemistry, Bruised Violet just goes "meh..." on me, and doesn't smell like much at all, let alone violets. Violet Ray is a nice light and "chilly" violet with a hinting of ozone. Quite nice, but doesn't seem to last too long.

As I'm still new to BPAL, and since there are trillions of scents to try, and since I am barely above the poverty line & it's highly unlikely I'll ever be able to try all BPALs, I have only tried 3 scents that include violet (although it is an all-time favorite scent of mine, and far too hard to find). Here's my impression thus far.

Saturnalia - My first order. Not keen on vetiver, at all. This scent, at first, is far too smoky for my taste. But I keep an open mind, and tried it on my own skin before making a snap-judgment. Right after the initial wet stage, the vetiver seems to dry into a dampish leaf scent, honestly hinting at a gorgeous scent-image of dewy, early spring violets poking through cool earth & musty leaves. NOT a bad thing, at all! Beautiful. The violet is true, and pure, and adds a clear bright top to the earthy vetiver. Really nice! Not at all the gritty, smoky worrier it starts off as.

Farewell to False Love - I could pick out the violet in this as a distinct note, although mostly as a co-top note w/ bright narcissus above that lovely, herbally lavender & balsam of Peru base. It went GACK on my skin, though, & it was off to eBay :D Wish it had worked; smelled great in the bottle.

Ultraviolet - Got as an imp (correct term? I think? a free sample LOL) w/ my first order. Was a little apprehensive at first, because although I could smell the violet for sure, the eucalyptus was kind of pungent & overpowering. Got it on my skin, and love it. A wonderful TRUE violet, bright purple & shimmering, leant a silvery, sharp shimmer by the mint. Really just nice, cool, and refreshing. It's like violet...only crisper, cooler, fresher.

Can't wait to try MANY others :P

Bruised Violet Compound turned out just as I feared it would.. it was all patchouli with no violet at all.. it was kinda sweet ..but still patchouli which i hate.

Violet Ray is a lot like Faith but with more depth, still very soft. it's hard for me to pick out the different notes at first but it smells exactly like something from my childhood that I haven't figured out yet. hrmm.. the mint is barely noticeable, just enough to make it more interesting and the sandalwood makes it a bit earthy. i'm really glad this works better on me than Ultraviolet did.. the mint scared me a little. uh oh. i think skunk smell from outside is invading my room.. kinda ruins the smelling process. .. or at least I hope thats skunk and Violet Ray turning on me.

AMG. Nocturne. Beautiful, fair Nocturne. The lilac & tuberose notes in this don't overpower the violet, they just give it an ethereal quality (an effect lilac has always had on me...sigh...lovely); you can pick them out as single notes only with a bit of effort. Overall, this was the most beautiful violet scent...in the bottle. And probably smells divine on normal people. On me, it went sour :P

More power to those on whom Nocturne works, because if it smelled on me like it smells in the bottle, I would buy it in bulk. Beautiful blend, deep purple violet with just the right about of tuberose to lend a softness, just enough lilac to make it shimmer faintly. Overall, a great violet scent. Gorgeous.

my affection for violet scents is growing more and more each day...i used to find it too "matronly" for my tastes before, but i'm appreciating now its depth and richness...it just seems to make any scent more "velvety," if that makes sense. maybe even more dignified!

i think my first really appreciative moment of violet was inhaling the LE scent the city in the sea, which is a gorgeous aquatic, light green violet scent. but it is indeed light. possets' silver violets helped me to fall further for the flower...and recently, the GC scent the raven has me craving more. right now, i'm alternating between that and le serpent qui danse for my violet fixes...and i can't wait to try faith (literally can't wait -- it'll be leaving soon)!

my affection for violet scents is growing more and more each day...i used to find it too "matronly" for my tastes before, but i'm appreciating now its depth and richness...it just seems to make any scent more "velvety," if that makes sense. maybe even more dignified!

The sad little dog violets that grow in the woods behind my house have no scent, so I had never smelled violet until maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It was exactly as I'd always imagined it would be, and sparked some memory I can't quite put my finger on.

I had always heard it was an old-fashioned scent that used to be really big in old-timey perfumes until its popularity waned. So I was always afraid that despite my hopes, it would be that "matronly" smell. Instead, it is velvety; you really hit it w/ that description. But a cool velvet, and it's a young, effervescent scent that is both wet & cool & light and at the same time dark purple & deep.

Having avoided violets with a passion I can tell you that these are on my list - maybe you'll love them =)

Ultraviolet - and mint

Water of Notre Dame

Le Serpent Qui Danse - strong violet

Hell's Belle

Sybaris - strong violet

The thing about violet fragrance in real life from flowers is that it surprises you. It is there, it is not there, it is there again.

I love the scent of violets, but the only BPAL that I identify as really violet are Ultraviolet (with mint, right) and Sybaris. Didn't get violet from Hells Belle, or the Serpent (though I love the Serpent, and Hells Belle is sexy).

I really like Faustus, but for me the resins overwhelm any little shy flowers around.

(and I yes, want to try the new Violet scents!) *back to packing for move*

The thing about violet fragrance in real life from flowers is that it surprises you. It is there, it is not there, it is there again.

I love the scent of violets, but the only BPAL that I identify as really violet are Ultraviolet (with mint, right) and Sybaris. Didn't get violet from Hells Belle, or the Serpent (though I love the Serpent, and Hells Belle is sexy).

I really like Faustus, but for me the resins overwhelm any little shy flowers around.

(and I yes, want to try the new Violet scents!) *back to packing for move*

Ultraviolet has de eucalyptus. Sometimes I worship it, sometimes it cat-pees on me.

Nocturne is also "very" violet.

I've tried Bruised Violet Compound and found it very very faint and earthy. I'm hiding it in a closet to see if the scared little violets come out. I really want to try Violet Ray.

Bruised violet - I keep trying this at lunacy events. I like it. And that surprises me because I'm not big on patchouli

Violet Ray - In theory, I should love this. But, I tried it on & it went to baby powder on me. :D

Saturnalia - :P Violet and sweet darkness that morphs into a more "planty" violet scent. I really love this one.

Faith - As per its description, sugared violet. I am very fond of this scent. It stays well on me.

I don't hate the violet, but the violet hates me. :D

Worst offenders:

Fallen - violet and vetiver all the way. I think I must amp them, 'cos I can't smell any other notes. Pissed me off because I badly wanted to love this scent and really didn't. Oddly enough I found this blend to be the most 'perfumey', i.e. commercial-smelling Bpal I've tried. I swear it is similar to one of the chanel scents which my mother used to wear and I hated.

Saturnalia - Violet/vetiver as above. Only worse. Way, way worse. I personally don't find this a likeable combination. A very strong and tenacious scent. On the plus side, I didn't notice if the violet turned to pee; on the minus, that's because the vetiver was going crazy. Didn't smell like a commercial perfume. Didn't smell like anything I've ever encountered. Peculiar.

Not so bad

Le Serpent Qui Danse - very floral violet, not overly sweet. the vanilla takes the edge off things, but the violet still turns to pee on me. I'd recommend this to anyone who CAN wear violet, because it has great throw and pretty good wear length.

Versailles - Beautiful sweet sugared violets. I even dared to hope it would work out. Then it turned on me: old lady & cat pee smell. :D I only used a teeny tiny dab on a fingertip, but it clung on through several handwashes.

Chickened out of testing

Bruised Violet Compound - I sniffed the imp: strong violet smell. This one won't be getting a skin test. Hopefully it'll go to a better home soon, where it will be loved.

...And the one that worked:

Wings of Azrael - I was incredulous when I found out this had violet in it, because I somehow didn't pick it out (probably because it failed to turn to pee!) I couldn't recommend this to someone looking specifically for a purely violet scent, because this isn't it, but it is absolutely lovely overall. White floral/woody-green with a gentle veil of myrrh, in a very indescribable kind of way. :P

Could someone who has Faith please tell me how much vanilla is in it? A few of the reviews mentioned vanilla and it doesn't work on me at all, horrible play-doh scent.

Maybe the reviewers were mistaken and there isn't vanilla in it but instead a sort of creamy note?

Could someone who has Faith please tell me how much vanilla is in it? A few of the reviews mentioned vanilla and it doesn't work on me at all, horrible play-doh scent.

Maybe the reviewers were mistaken and there isn't vanilla in it but instead a sort of creamy note?

To me, I mostly get a predominantly violet note sweetened with sugar, basically "sugared violet". It's my favourite violet scent, I don't really get vanilla, but others may. I found Veil (GC) to be like Faith, only less sweet if you're worried about the sugar note.

Edited by milo

I wouldnt say theres any vanilla in Faith. Just sugary candy violets. My husband thinks it smells like cotton candy. I think it smells like violet mints.

OK, thanks all for answering!

I have tried Veil, thought it was a little too gentle and indistinct on me. I'm not sure about sugary scents as I haven't tried any yet. I have an imp of Hope on the way and that will help me decide if I like the sugary florals.

Odd - I get a sort of sweet creamy violet from Violet Ray - almost a violet buttercream type scent - and noone else has mentioned this. I thought it was unusual and very pretty.

I know I've tried Bruised Violet Compound once and decided that it wasn't a patch on The Raven but I can't remember why (apart from that The Raven is a great scent!)

I'm so very excited to try White Chocolate & Sugared Violets, from the valentines' Box of Chocolates. I'm participating in a decant circle right now and waiting for my sample! I'm honestly the opposite of a foodie (most of them smell good, I just don't want to wear them) but Faith is one of my all-time favorites, and many of the reviews say the two are very alike; I have high hopes.

Violet ray is like worn, clean, ironed, cotton.

Bruised Violet Compound is like chartreuse colored crushed velvet with random tie dyed swirls of brown and dark green and a violet embroidered in the corner somewhere.

Neither of them were as fully violet an experience as I was looking for but I like them both a lot.

I am still looking but have a bottle of Bruised Violet Compound and am wearing it more and more. I cannot quite figure it out so it is intrigueing. I found Violet Ray to be kind of antidepressant. Both seem really good as we head into spring.

sorry, just looked at posting dates...

better late than never?

Edited by novak69

Violet lover here! :wub2: Don't know how I missed this thread. La Befana (like violet pipe tobacco), the Raven (a little disjoineted-sharp violet and skank musk, but I still love it), and Violet Ray (DH says it smells like a naughty nurse!) are my faves, and yes, I always thought that Antique Lace had a violet feel but nice and powdery. I love Serge Lutens Bois de Violet-dry, woody violet with a chewy earthiness. I'm holding out for BPAL to make one I love so well.

Edited by lookingglass

I have to recommend White Chocolate and Sugared Violets. It's AMAZING. I had high hopes for it, and it even topped those. It's definitely the same violet as Faith, but it is much sweeter (is that even possible?); it's delicious. This is the only foody scent I've ever loved. If you love the violet in Faith, don't let White Chocolate and Sugared Violets get away from you.