Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
taz19

BPAL to represent each month, each season? Holidays, like Christmas?

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this has been done before- sorry if this is the case!

Here are mine :

Winter : Burial ( Dry roses and wet earth- smells very cold to me!)

Spring : Maiden

Summer : Embalming fluid ( Ok, I'm weraing it now but only because the last three days were really warm!)

Autumn : Vice ( Chocolate, chocolate and chocolate).

:P

Waiting to hear yours!

Taz :D

I don't really have a particular scent for each season, but yesterday I reviewd Swank, putting it into my "like but will doubtful ever wear" category, and now today, with it being 75+ degrees and sunny outside, I am wearing it and loving it.

Most of my favorites are light, crisp, fruity or lightly floral scents, which seem to feel more spring/summery though, but I'll wear them in the winter anyway. I haven't worn Samhain since last fall, though...it's just definitely too much of a fall scent.

was just wondering about your opinions on which scents you like best for which seasons?

i'm particularly interested in your opinions on winter/christmassy scents?

Golden Priapus smells like Christmas to me - lots of pine with a whisper of vanilla.

Three Witches is the olfactory embodiment of fall.

I just tried Alecto for the first time yesterday, and at least for the first little while, it smelled very Christmas-y to me. It fades to more of a straight cedar on my skin, but I love it and it still makes me think of winter, at least in a cozy-in-a-warm-house kind of way. :P

Jack is Autumn in a bottle

Queen of Sheba, Gluttony,snake oil are my winter scents cause they are so cosy and warming.

I just tried Tintagel for the first time yesterday, and this is just so Yule to me because of the bayberry. I'm loving it a lot. Big bottle!!!!!

For seasonal scents, I've found that Old Port-Au-Prince smells just like Christmas to me. In fact, I may have to get another imp of it, timed to arrive just before December... Just to see if I can't get my house to smell that way.

I was wearing Masabakes last night, and my boyfriend commented that it smelled a great deal like a holiday scent, then suggested Halloween or Thanksgiving. He swore up and down that he caught a whiff of pumpkin in it. But I do think it's a very Halloween type of scent.

Also, Tintagel is a very Christmas like scent to me, but in a different way than Old Port-Au-Prince. Where Old Port-Au-Prince smells just like hot buttered rum, and pomanders, and Christmas parties with my families, Tintagel smells like how Christmas ought to smell, with the scent of real trees, and mulled wine, and a close group of friends... It actually reminds me a great deal of my Yule celebrations with my coven (kinda coven...).

What else... Obviously there are those limited editions, if you're lucky enough to get your hands on them. I'm horribly upset that I missed an opportunity to trade for Gingerbread Poppet, because that sort of scent would bring back late November for me perfectly... And Midwinter's Eve, etc. I'm coveting my 1/3 imp of Samhain, dragging it out as long as I can, since it smells so wonderful -- and *just* like Halloween.

Bon Vivant reminds me of New Years parties.

Seraglio sort of reminds me of Christmas, only it's so heavy on the rose that unless you associate rose with Christmas...

Old Cairo, in it's own way, reminded me of Christmas, but not directly... rather it reminded me of Glog (a scandinavian winter drink which is very heavy on the raisony taste) which I spent one winter drinking. I'm not sure I care for Glog, but it was an interesting experience, and very Christmasy in its own way.

And that's about it. Hope you find something you like. :P

Not always scents that work on me, personally, but the following very clearly evoke certain seasons for me:

Fall/Winter - Black Forest, Bliss, Chimera, Gluttony, Jack, Seance, Tamora, Three Witches, Tintagel, Vice

Spring/Summer - Alice, Cordelia, Dana O'Shee, Desdemona, Eve, The Hesperides, Jezebel, Ophelia, Pele, Persephone

I hope you find something you like. :P

Edited by riddel

I'm thirding (if that's a word) Seraglio for a great winter/Christmas scent. The rose/nutmeg/orange/almond thing does it for me. Lovely.

Okay so the Yule update isn't up yet and I know those would fit in this catagory but I'm curious as to what scents that are available now could be considered Holidayish. So far all I can think of is Tintagel. Any others?

I got an odd Christmasy/hollyberry note from Carnivale when I first put it on.

Ulalume reminded me of Christmas, though I don't remember why. I suspect it's the spices. Seraglio had the same sort of Christmasy spices in the vial, but they mostly went away on my skin. Lust, weirdly, also smelled like Christmas in the vial. :P

Also, most piney things make me think snow/cold/winter - Loup Garou and Burial are the main culprits here. And the upcoming Val San Retour, though I haven't tried it on yet, is very piney in the vial.

My boyfriend and I both agree that hemlock reminds us of Christmas and holly and evergreens. Seraglio was another scent that reminded me strongly of Christmas, because of the clove/orange combo and the almonds. And Dana O'Shee reminded me of Christmas because it smelled like marzipan. Old Port au Prince also reminded me of Christmas because it smells like hot buttered rum.

This is going to sound weird but I've been putting Djinn on my husband and to me it smells like a manly Christmas tree. I know, I'm a freak.

Also, I have discovered that 75% of recommendation questions can be answered with Old Morocco. Not that I am biased or playing favorites or anything. Nope. Not me.

Because I make chocolate every Christmas, Velvet seemed especially reminicent of that holiday to me :P

On my skin, Belladonna smelled distinctly of cinnamon ribbon candy (which I associate with Christmas). It also disagreed with my skin and burned, but the smell was very pretty.

Now that I have my spring/summer scents, I was wondering, what are the perfect smells for a day where you have to wear 10 layers just to open the door? :P But ones that don't smell like food?

Thanks!

^^ ditto that on the inferno. additionally, anything with heavy spices - snake oil without question.

unless of course you feel like the ice queen, in which case my vote goes to titania.