Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Reaver

Anise, Aniseed, Licorice, Liquorice, Fennel, Ouzo?

I've tried looking for both through the search thing and can't find a thing. Unless i've got the smellings wrong. Which I will now try. But then someone might know of a blend that smells like either but doesn't necessarily have then in there.

Anything guys and dolls?

I've tried looking for both through the search thing and can't find a thing. Unless i've got the smellings wrong. Which I will now try. But then someone might know of a blend that smells like either but doesn't necessarily have then in there.

Anything guys and dolls?

Try searching with "anise" rather than "aniseed." Just off the top of my head, I know Black Anise has anise and Kyoto has star anise.

ETA Black Annis, not Black Anise :P

Edited by Morrea

...and now I search for 'anise' and get some lovely search results back, including all of the above.

Kyoto, Kabuki and Absinthe sound perfect for me... *adds them to the next imps order* There are also Black Annis, Casanova and Anja if anyone else is interested.

This is nearly as good as the day I found liquorice and lavender flavoured fudge in a sweet shop.

But not quite as good as the day I discovered Jaegermeister.

Strange that liquorice itself makes me feel ill eating it...

Thank you lovely people!

But not quite as good as the day I discovered Jaegermeister.

:P I think I like you.

I am going to do a little mod-thing and add anise, aniseed, licorice, liquoirice, and fennel to the subtitle, so this can serve as the thread for people searching for those scents forevermore. I was surprised there wasn't a thread dedicated to this already - after three and a half years, there are only so many things that haven't been covered in Recommendations, you know?

I need to go peruse the Will-Call threads to see what people thought of La Befana. I have it in my head that candy charcoal = licorice, and that kept me from ordering a bottle (I am not a fan of licorice smells or tastes, I don't even like fennel as a vegetable :D ) But of course, if it has licorice, the licorice lovers can rejoice!

Other related scent keywords could be 'sambuca' and 'ouzo', although I don't know if they're in any BPAL stuff. They're both pure anise/liquorice liqueurs (the former is Italian, the latter Greek).

Just checking in here, to put down my oh-my-gods-thank-you-guys.

Black Annis? Awesome.

Kabuki?!?! Oh my word. I think I've found it. The PERFECT aniseed scent. I rave about King Of Hearts quite a bit, and this has the cherries from that, with liquorice. And it's like cough syrup.

Also... thanks to Indefatigable, I've now tried Sambuca. It's awesome. Nearly as awesome as reeking of liquorice. But not quite. Raspberry sambuca and lemonade. *drools*

So... for those looking for Anise? I recommend Kabuki. Surrounded by glitter, in flashing neons.

Updating this with

LIGWIGLUNGA (very herbal weirdness, but fennel is STRONG)

and

HUESOS DE SANTO (not tried myself, but apparantly dries down to Aniseed)

and

THE ROBOTIC SCARAB (not STRONG anise, but yummylicious and one of my favorites)

Just in case someone else comes looking!

yes, Huesos de Santos is a very lovely anise background note. It's not the strongest but it's SO delicious.

In agreement on Huesos de Santos - nice lift from the anise while wet. Just wish that lovely note would stick around longer on my skin.

Le Pere Fouettard is a really nice one. My very favorite from last year's Yules. I'm looking for some more black licorice scents, too.

Agreed. Huesos De Santo and Le Pere Fouettard are the best anise and licorice scents. It's unfortunate that they are both LE.

Baku. No notes listed but IMHO it is lander with a backdrop of anise and maybe liquorice, the lavender faded to leave a sweetish anise smell.

This absolutely screams fennel on me which is aniseed-y.

Baku. No notes listed but IMHO it is lander with a backdrop of anise and maybe liquorice, the lavender faded to leave a sweetish anise smell.

Baku is by far the most anisey/liquoricey oil I've ever tried. It's what made me start looking for it in other blends. It probably varies from person to person (many do get lavender from Baku, I got none), but if you love anise, you must try it. It was almost entirely gnarly, shadowy, excruciatingly beautiful liquorice on me.

Kabuki is wonderful, but I think it is mostly dominated by cherry. Huesos de Santo is even better (the anise is soft, but in a good way). I only get a little of it from Absinthe (but that was probably a case of my skin blowing lemon out of proportion).

Also, there's fennel in Lilith Victoria, Proshitapathika and Virgo 2007, but I haven't tried them.

So yeah. Anise. :wub2:

P.S. Why do I always get red lines under "liquorice"? For heaven's sake, isn't that how it's spelled?

Recently,

HUMBUG

It's not just got licorice IN it, it IS licorice. Win.

L'HEURE VERTE

It's a more sweet Absinthe. Still nice and anise-y :D

and... CARLIN

Haven't got my decant of it yet, but it's got anise in the ingredients so I'm sitting in anticipation for a package!

Just in case more people come looking! I feel like this recommendation thread is my baby now, even though my search for the perfect licorice/aniseed is over (Humbug and Kabuki = love.)

Le Pere Fouettard is a really nice one. My very favorite from last year's Yules. I'm looking for some more black licorice scents, too.

Velvet Tiger has become a lot more black-licorice-thwapping-me-in-the-face as it ages!

It might just be me with my snuffly nose but the imp I got the other day of psycological horror had a fennel/ anaseed feel to it? Only a faint trace of it mind you but still I'm sure it has some!

I know the original replier already dealt with this, but just for the record, the anise in Kyoto is both gorgeous (if you like anise) and S-T-R-O-N-G. If you're an aniseed fan I can firmly recommend it. On a couple of my friends so far this is almost an aniseed single note, lightened up with florals.

:lol: I just had to post this -- and a HUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEEEE thank you to Morrea at the top of the thread for her reply!

I just got a giant box of BPAL -- lots of bottles, a Salon II imp pack, and many freebies. But when I opened up the shipping box, the first thing that hit my nose wasn't the usual rich BPAL smell -- I got smacked with licorice! I'm sure there was more there -- it's a big box! -- but I'm...very sensitive. To licorice. It's...just not nice. So this was a very bad situation -- wherever that smell was coming from, the source was going to have to go!

After opening many imps and very reluctantly checking my bottles for licorice (please not my pretty Lupers!), it dawned on me to find this thread for some likely imps to focus on (imp thumb is starting up, so I wanted a shortcut). Lo and behold, the very first reply: Black Anise Annis. :lol: I should have known!

My licorice culprit is identified and locked away, to be given up to a loving home -- NOT MINE!

One of my all time favorite blends.

Deathly Pride is wonderful as well.