Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Wolfsbane

Notorious for its properties for protection against werewolves and curing lycanthropy, this nefarious plant also has a fine history of use as a virulent poison. Clasically, Medea employed it in her many works of vengeance. This concoction of ours has none of the lethal qualities, but still personifies all of the herb's dark history beautifully.

very, very woody, with a bite.

On me this was very woody, creamy and spicy. Somehow reminiscent of rice pudding. I really like it. And I like knowing that I'll be safe from Werewolves!!

But after 2 hours it's completely disappeared. I can't smell it at all!!! Oh NO! The werewolves are going to get me!!

Edited by xoe

in the vial: Veeery woody, with a bite, just like quantum spice said.

on my skin: Ooh, this makes me think of that Neil Gaimen children's book The Wolves In The Walls. I feel like I'm in an old, old, old house and there are wolves lurking around in the house. It's totally creepy and great. I love it. I can't pick out any notes aside from wood, though...

This is an oil I'll wear once in a while when the mood takes me...I really like this a lot. It reminds me of the scary stories I used to read when I was a little kid. I'll wear it to bed tonight and see how it effects my dreams.

Huh...I just read xoe's comment about it smelling like rice pudding and by jove, she's right!! Weeeiiirrddd...

Just tried this, and it must have vetiver in it, because all I can smell is vetiver, as in Saturnalia. Which does not like me. :P The Vetiver Monster is after me, must wash off!

When I wear this, I get SANDALWOOD!! This is good, because sandalwood is one of my favourite essential oils. After I wear it while, I get a hint of lemon as well, but still a predominantly sandalwood scent. It fades a bit quickly, although I didn’t put it on very heavily either.

Wolfsbane only smelled like soap on me. :P I put it on and it did not morph or anything. I let my brother have the imp hopeing it will smell better on him. :D

You know, I wouldn't have thought of rice pudding, but I can totally see that. Which makes no sense, because it smells woody and green otherwise. :P

It reminded me slightly of a greener Kostnice--I get resins and woods confused. This one is for my sister and her love of Remus Lupin, the werewolf from Harry Potter--he was always trying to fight his werewolf nature; maybe this would help?

I clearly have to wear Wolfsbane sparingly-- it made me INCREDIBLY HORNY immediately after applying. Holy crappers. Rather than rice pudding, on me it smells like a peppery, wild straggly rose, with a toss of herbs all strewn about. When it mellows, the rose is slightly honeyed, but it also feels like there is something furred and feral about it.

I think I'm weird.

Wolfsbane from Bewitching Brews, not sure what the notes are, I think a can smell civet in this scent an a herb. The civet was mostly noticeable, it went on a bit strong at first during the wet process It kind of reminded of a cat, maybe cat's musk and the oil was very thick, at this point I didn't like at all. still I let the oil linger a while and it began to mellow out very much, I started to enjoy this one, to the point it took me back to my childhood, it reminded of something that I had smelled before, I like it.

Just might get a bigger bottle!

An almost musty, musky woodiness at first, this was a strong, steady, and very natural scent, neither male nor female. After a few hours this dried down into a very light herbal scent. there's still occasional whiffs of something a little muskier, but overall there's a pleasant, calming herbal smell, almost sweet and a little powdery but still very nice. While pleasant I don't see myself wearing this a lot so off to swaps.

When it first hit my skin, I got leather and a quick bite of lemon. Herbal and fresh, just slightly woody. This made me think of green and dark places when I closed my eyes. The lemon pushed forward as time went by.

These notes stay fairly true and strong throughout the drydown , although things become a bit sweeter at the bottom. I believe that's sandalwood.

There is a poisonous, astringent sting in all of Beth's herbal blends that I just love.

In the vial: I smell roses and herbs--Wolfsbane, presumably!

Wet, on my skin: Uh oh. I smell civet...and roses. I usually HATE fragrances containing civet and rose does not usually like my body chemistry. But...

I actually do like this! Not enough to buy a big bottle, but I'll definitely use and enjoy the imp!

Edited by Scylla

Woody, spicy, with a hint of something...is it berries? This smells like the damp forest earth--fallen wood underneath other wood, with some green scattered on top, and the stray fruit.

Wolfsbane starts out as a very green herbal, like juniper and sage to my nose.

The follow-through is wild roses, the kind you find out in the woods in October that are brown-red and no bigger than your thumbnail.

Wolfsbane is okay on me, and really wafts nicely off the husband...

First sniff: Musty, dry wood with a hint of pine. Wolfsbane doesn’t seem the sort of scent that would keep a werewolf at bay; it smells like the sort of place I’d probably want to live in if I went furry. It’s very dark-foresty, mysterious and forbidding.

Wearing: More piney on my skin, and the dark-forest aura is simultaneously beautiful and creepy. I like this a lot more than I expected to. It’s weirdly comforting. I’m not sure what it says about me that I find a dark-creepy-forest scent comforting… :P but there you go. About ten minutes in, there’s a rose, a white rose, blooming palely in the shadow of the wood. And, gosh darn it, as it dries the rose just takes over. I liked the dark forest. :D

I tried this last night and thought I *must* have gotten a mislabled imp--all I smelled was baby powder and roses.

Today, I tried it after checking the reviews (still thinking it might have been mislabeled) and I finally got the smallest bite of green, and a second later, I'm back to pink, rosy, fluffy baby powder.

Edited for poor spelling and to add that I tried Wolsbane again today, and it seems much more green and herbal than before. It's still a little bit rosy, especially after it dries, but with more of an edge. What an odd blend! It's different every time I try it--and I keep liking it more and more! I wish I could think of what the green note is, though, It smells really familiar, I just can't quite remember what it is... :P

Edited by Gin

I just tried Wolfsbane... it smelled musky when I first put it on... but then it got very piney.

I didn't really like it.. it was just a little too piney for me.

Wolfsbane

Preconceived notions: This one is at the top of my list of “poisonous” scents to try. Part of it is that it sounds like one of the earthier ones, which I definitely prefer to floral. Another part is that I know of the herb wolfsbane, and due to Harry Potter, know all its different names (Aconite, monkshood, etc.). Finally, there’s the Harry Potter reference itself - I have to admit, I really like Snape. He’s by far my favorite character in the books because he’s constantly blurring the nice and straightforward line between good and evil, from the first book on. Also, even if Snape weren’t a factor, potions would be my favorite class, which is why I even have a "poisonous" category of scents I want to try!

Okay, I’m done being a Harry Potter fan. On with the review:

In the vial: Definitely a very sneaky, mysterious green scent.

On me:

First whiff: Very pungent herbal smell, which I love. In a few minutes: I’m in fits of delight - this is mysterious, green, vile stuff that makes me feel dangerous and exotic. There’s something slithery in it mixed up with the pungent herbal smell. It wafts fairly well, too.

In less than 15 minutes, I get something new. Roses? Am I smelling roses? Bitter green roses? Hmm... I think this might be a weird body chemistry issue. It’s okay, but I liked the non-rose pungent green beginning smell, especially with all the slithering white misty vapors... They’re all gone, and now there’s this rose.

Half an hour after first putting it on: Still rosy, still green, still strong. And the vapors are back - yay! (but I still wish the rose would go away).

An hour after: Things are pretty much still the same, and beginning to fade.

Final impressions: I really like everything about this except the rose. Since it’s ‘that time of the month’, I’ll give it another shot.

Edited by Witch's Dagger

Got an imp of this from Eoywin. :P

First sniff:

Deep woods...juniper and pine needles and a hint of loamy soil. It's a very clean, peaceful scent. It reminds me of the deepest reaches of hte woods: serene and untouched. It's not herbal the way I would have imagined it to be, but rather it's unequivocably woodsy. This is looking very promising. :D

Wet on skin:

It's very woodsy for the first few seconds and then starts turning green and slightly herbal. The woods are still there, but I feel like I'm sitting on the forest floor with the wild floor-dwelling plants rather than smelling the trees. This is pretty, but not nearly as piney as I'd like.

Dry down:

The herbal scent has remained, almost drowning out the woodsiness. It's still pretty and still reminds me of the forest, but it's more like I would have imagined something called Wolfsbane to smell like. I miss the intense woodsiness of the first couple of minutes, but this is still lovely. :D

The bottom line:

I'd prefer a more woodsy scent, but this is quite nice. It's not too herbal, but it has just enough greeness to it to fit the name. This is a really interesting scent that I can see myself wearing quite often.

Wolfsbane

In the bottle:

Spicy roses, something green...

Wet on skin:

Sharp roses.

Dry:

Roses and baby powder.

Unfortunately, this is all I get from this one. I love the spicy rose smell I get at first, but I just can't do roses.

I so wanted this to be like review Penance gave it...especially wet...Oh, well.

I just didn't like this one at all, but don't let that dissuade you, I hate greens in general! This one to me was almost pure pine. I really dislike pine, so I couldn't get past that. I didn't pick up any creamy notes at all.

While Wolfsbane definitely shows off BPAL's artistry, I'm not a person who likes herbal/green scents, so this one didn't work for me. I'd recommend it for someone who enjoys woodsy blends, or someone new who wants to experience a range of scents offered by BPAL.

Wolfsbane - in the vial I can sense the woodiness and not much else.

Once on, several different notes pop out. There's a fresh lemony scent, pleasant and not too citrusy. Underneath there's an earthy quality, a bit like fresh dirt with a metallic edge that mingles nicely with the lemon. Something green hovers in the background. This is quite an interesting oil and it wears well. I'm not sure if I'd buy a bottle but I'll use up the imp.