Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Sol

Authority - Creativity - Courage - Leadership - Abundance - Good Health & Healing - Illumination - Truth - Honesty - Wise Counsel - Prophecy - Pride - Revelation - Equilibrium - Mediation - Nobility - Generosity

Crisp and almost arid in nature, Sol has a sharp, spicy scent that is resinous without being softly warm. Instead, it's a very fiery, almost scorched feel. There's pine in here, too - a much more complex scent than the the overall tone of the oil implies.

Initial Impression:

A sharp, strong citrus scent that's a touch herby.

After Wearing It:

A *bright* white scent. Not white as in innocent or bright as in cheerful, but like stepping out into the strong afternoon light after watching a long movie in the theater. Blinding and overwhelming almost to the point of pain. This scent smells of sharp lemon, but the lemon reminds me more of one of the lemony herbs like lemongrass or lemon verbena in their slight herbiness rather than straight citrus scent. There's some musk here as well, I think, giving the fragrance a husky and slightly masculine tone.

Final Thoughts:

Wonderful embodiment of solar energy though not really something I'd wear as it's not my style at all. I completely appreciate its accurancy in its portrayal though.

This reminds me of the highest noontime sun in mid-July. It evokes that sort of scorching, blindingly-white-light solar power. I detect citrus, I detect herbals, I detect something woodsy, but I can't put my finger on any particular note. The sun is a masculine planet, and this is indeed a very masculine fragrance. Even after wearing it for a few hours, I still sense (not really feel, but sense) a warmth on the wrist I applied it to, a bright golden warmth. I'm not sure that I would wear this as it has that bitey masculine tang that I don't fancy on myself, but I will keep it for when I need to draw in some of the energy of the Sun. It would be great for people who incorporate astrology into their ritual or healing work.

This almost smells resiny to me, if that's a word. Similar to Cathedral, but warmer, like sitting in an ancient stone courtyard in the middle of the day.

I can detect a slight citrus smell and the herbs.

Okay. Sol. As a Leo, I was /really/ looking forward to just absolutely loving this scent, bathing in it and generally using it to embody the solar diety I know lives inside me. Heh.

Well... so not what happened. Frankly, Sol made me a little nauseus. Especially first on with the piney resinous scent that comes out when wet.

As it begins to dry, cinnamon and clove take over in stages. There's a dark herb in there somewhere also, perhaps sage? I want to say sage.

I've just realized what it puts me to mind of. My mother has a little crock pot which often simmers with potpouri refreshed with essential oils. Clove and cinnamon are the prevailing oils chosen for this task. Sol smells like when the pot has simmered too long and is scorching. On me, that is.

I always hate disliking one of Beth's creations.

Now .. let me preface this by saying I first tried this at the same time vaniclion did, and I liked it then much better than he did. I've never really considered myself to be much attuned with the sun, but I find myself rather attracted to this oil for some reason.

In the bottle: As might be expected, this is bright, sunny yellow. It brings to mind buttercups and daisies for me. I get something kind of citrusy, and floral as well. It's like walking out into bright bright sunshine from a darkened tunnel, shocking in that manner, but also rather welcomed.

Wet: This warms and softens when I first apply it, becoming not quite so bright and shocking, but more just the sun of a spring afternoon, where it's not too warm, and no longer suffering the chill of winter ... which I guess is kind-of how the in the bottle state is like. As for notes .. I still get a floral/citrus blend, though I can't pinpoint anything specific. This is almost like a sweet orange candy I've had before.

Wearing: I have to turn towards the more magical purposes of this oil as I wear it more. The sun is masculine energy, and this doesn't at first strike me as a masculine scent. But the longer I wear it, I can get a sense for how this is bringing in masculine energy. I might have to dab some Luna on to balance that! *grins* But it certainly is a scent that infuses me with energy. I feel like I could take on anything, with this on. As this wears, it seems to get spicer, and hotter, more of a summer sun. I think I do catch a bit of the cinnamon, and maybe clove, or maybe a peppery scent. It's nice, though, still.

Edited by TygherRayn

My experience with Sol is different than the above reviews. On me, sol is lemony but not sweet, a touch of vanilla and cinnamon, possibly a touch of coconut. Sol is warming and cheery.

Perhaps I am a child of the Sun after all.

This was an extra from the lab.

Sol smells *exactly* like Bain de Soleil orange gelee suntan gel. It brings me back to the lying in the sun beside Grammy's pool, trying to get warm because her pool was always so numbingly cold.

This was a freebie, and the "description" doesn't say a thing about what's in it, which is one of my pet peeves. But like Old New Orleans, it's extremely floral and doesn't appeal to me very much. I think there may be more honeysuckle in it somewhere, and perhaps gardenia. R.'s comment: "Well, it's not as bad as that other one." If you think this sounds like damning with faint praise, you're right. :P At any rate, I don't think I'll be keeping this one either.

Eeeeee, frankincense!

Sol is all about the frankincense, with a touch of lemongrass and a splash of sweet musk of some kind. It's a very warm, bright oil, and dare I say that it even scorched a little when it went on my skin. It's still stinging a bit, but it's not a painful kind of sting -- more like the slight annoyance of knowing that you're getting sunburnt but there's nothing you can do about it, even though you feel your skin warming up beneath the scorching of the upper layer.

Very apt interpretation of Sol, indeed -- and I love it and shall cherish the imp, for it's really quite lovely.

Initial Sniff: This smells like a posh men's cologne in the bottle. I can smell a hint of citrus, and some herbs... the energy from this bottle is definitely masculine and definitely warm.

Wearing: Citrus and herbs! For me, this is not a hot scent... it is merely warm. It is an early morning sun just starting to bring light and warmth to the earth. I think t3andcrumpets is right - there is definitely some frankincense and maybe some amber in this blend. Dry, it is soft and light.

Final Impressions: I am a child of the sun, and this blend speaks to me. It is not my favorite of Beth's solar blends, but it has a welcome place in my collection.

spicey and resinous, this one enthrals me i need more PLEASE!!!! :P this scent is the prefect balance of spice and resin to me, i wish i new which spices and but the resins are amber and possibly frankencinse or myrhh. beautiful did i say that?

In bottle: Herbally citrus? It is hard to describe. There's a resin note and hints of frankincense as well.

On me: Very warm, but on the skin it goes somewhat like hardboiled egg yolks. Any citrus is gone, so that there's a spice-resin note and 'kitchen' herbs sprinkled on top. Hmmm. Not what I expected at all.

at first: a spicy, bright white scent.

on: i think i smell pepper and ginger.

half an hour later: very hot-smelling. reminds me of incense that's just started burning.

1.5 hours later: i'm getting a weird ginger/smoke scent.

4.5 hours later: pretty much gone.

overall: this is very interesting. it's definitely a hot scent, but in a really crisp way.

In the bottle: OMG freakin' love at first sniff. This actually smells like sunshine! Like brightness and heat and slightly scorched/dried grass and something slightly spicy and just amazing.

On me: sadly, some of that amazingness is lost. Still very pretty. Very. But no longer amazing. It's still hard to describe. There's something herbal, (I think?) but not much. Something soft-spicy like maybe a very mild patchouli meets a light cinnamon.

Later: the complexity that I couldn't describe anyway tones down a bit, leaving a bit of light cinnamon and a bit of lightly sweet... maybe frankincense? Hmm. Maybe not.

Loves this, but might loves this more as a room scent. Or as a magical scent. This really has some oomph to it!

Ok this is wierd but--

on opening the bottle and while wet it smelled like mustard? No pickles! Like pickling spices! Not good.

Now its more resiny--sunny--spicy but one of those spices still reminds me of pickles.

Guess this one just didn't work with my skin chemistry!

Sol:

Originated from: Celestials circular swap

Wet: Piney! Whew!

Drydown: I agree with previous posters - slightly resinous, hints of clove. This smells like a hot summer day.

Longterm wear: This is really nice. I don't know if I'd wear it as a personal scent, but it evokes memories of summertime in my childhood. I'd keep it in an imp.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Citrus.

Wet: Oranges. There's something along the lines of lemon, but it's not the dreaded lemon citrus note. It's more along the lines of lemon verbena, I think.

Drydown: Orange cloves! How pretty!

Final thoughts: This is definitely a bright, sunny scent. I like it very much. :P

A very hot, very red, spicy scent -- almost like an Old Spice sort of aftershave scent at first. I'm not big on cinnamon but I do like other spices so there must be a variety of hot spices in here -- along with possible something like sage or bay, some "hot" herb.

I'm not a sun person at all but with this on one hand and Leo on the other, I went out and spent the afternoon sitting on a hill in the sun for a long time (not facing the sun though -- my skin is too fair!) and I couldn't seem to get enough light.

A very effective way to honor Sol, though not a scent I could otherwise wear. This is more of a red sun than a golden sun -- a scorching masculine scent.

In the bottle: I can smell pine & either bergamot or neroli. I'm not a fan of any of those, but for some reason I still might like it.

First on: Definitely pine, maybe some cedar? Now the cinnamon is coming out. It's a complex scent, and while I might not wear it, it's perfect for magickal stuffs.

Drydown: Stayed the same as above.

Spicy, warm, resinous and most of all.....scorched, as others have mentioned.

Not a fragrance I am drawn to want to wear at all. There is a note of something very familiar in one of the top notes that hits me immediatley upon opening this bottle - almost like a body lotion that has gone rancid. :P

I don't pick up any cirtus oils that I can identify, anyway. As I smell it deeper - I do feel its strength. But not enough to ever wear it!

Over-all impression: nyet.

Not for me.

I'm not good at picking out notes, so to my nose, Sol is a warm resin that has been spiced-up (it smells like cinnamon or clove or possibly both). Amazingly for my skin, the spiciness is present in all phases of the evolution of the scent but doesn't overpower the resinous base.

Sol gives the overall impression of the blazing sun at its hottest.

Bottle (Imp): A little bit sweet, and some nice spice to it.

Just On: Yummy spice.

An hour or two later: This has a gorgeous spice to it, but has started to fade.

Around 6 hours: It's almost gone already.

12 hours: It's totally gone.

Overall: I like this scent. I can see dabbing a bit of this on to lay out in the sun.

After reading other reviews: I didn't really get citrus or pine out of this one. I liked it nonetheless, and would buy more if it were available.

Sol - From the Celestials swap circle...

In the bottle: It's hard to describe, but it smells "bright".

On me: Still bright! No idea what's in it, but it smells like Leo's cousin in scent.

Drydown: Turns kind of powdery. I was never really able to identify what I smelled in this scent. :P

Forgive my short-ish review, I had to write up a bunch of reviews quickly as part of the Celestial swap circle...

Amber and cinnamon with a drop of something fruity... maybe a vaguely carnation-like note? Very nice. I'd definitely try to find more of this. One of the only cinnamon blends that hasn't irritatated my skin.