Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I personally think that the honey in Valse Finale is extremely similar to the honey that is in Door from the Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman) scents. Door isn't exactly GC (it's more expensive and not guaranteed a permanent run I don't think), but it'll be around for a while as far as I know, and it's a beautiful scent. Slightly stronger but similar to Valse's honey would be Deadly Nightshade Honey- it's very different from Womb Furie or O- type honey. Neither will be exactly like Valse Finale, but if it's the honey in it you crave, I suggest you give them a try.

I'll second the similarity to both of those options! Door is less floral, and more "bright" for a lack of a better word. Deadly Nightshade Honey came off as almost a single note hone on me, no floral, no mint, just honey. A couple of other recommendations off the cuff would be Osun in particular, but also Defututa, Dragon's Milk, Hemlock Honey, and Hetairae.

Thanks so much for your replies!

I will have to try to locate imps of Door and the Rappacini's Avaries, etc which you've suggested and give them a shot!

When I ordered my 5ml of Valse from the Lab, they frimped me Osun. I wore it one day, a bit excited - thinking it smelled similar but my friend said, "Are you wearing that baby powder perfume?" So I thought perhaps it doesn't amp the honey on me as much as Valse does.

I wonder if the Lab will ever re-run Valse... *ponders this all important ever burning question / plea*

But I do truly appreciate your suggestions! I never thought I would love this one like I do!

I made a wishlist entry and put some of these on my list :)

Edited by cargoee

Hi! I'm wondering if there's anything similar to Monster Bait: Bloody Mary? I have a bottle and even though I won't rest until I hunt down another bottle I'm wondering if there's something from the GC I can get.

I personally think that the honey in Valse Finale is extremely similar to the honey that is in Door from the Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman) scents. Door isn't exactly GC (it's more expensive and not guaranteed a permanent run I don't think), but it'll be around for a while as far as I know, and it's a beautiful scent. Slightly stronger but similar to Valse's honey would be Deadly Nightshade Honey- it's very different from Womb Furie or O- type honey. Neither will be exactly like Valse Finale, but if it's the honey in it you crave, I suggest you give them a try.

How would you compare and contrast Door and DNHoney?

On a totally unrelated note, I think Tzadikim Nistarim smells and feels a lot like Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse.

On a totally unrelated note, I think Tzadikim Nistarim smells and feels a lot like Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse.

I know this was directed at VioletFemme, but...on me, Door and DNHoney are pretty much identical. Both very "green" honeys, rather than sticky-sweet like O. YMMV, of course.

Edited by plainjean

DNHoney is very very similar to Door out of all the other BPALs that I've tried. I find myself catching whiffs and thinking, "Is that Door? No, not quite". Mead Moon is also close, but not quite. Tobacco Honey is like a much stronger, less sweet version of Door.

So far Door is the best at what it does, and I haven't found anything that does it better--but DNHoney comes the closest.

Threadkiller? :thud:

Anyhow, I came here to confirm that for me at least, Xiuhecuhtli and The First of the Three Spirits are very very similar, but not exactly the same. If you're pining for some (or more) of The First, Xiuhecuhtli should soothe the itch at least.

I actually tried Xiuhecuhtli, The First of the Three Spirits, and Giant Vulva, all together last night. Giant Vulva is definitely more citrus-y and the easiest to single out of the three--but definitely in the same scent family. The First seems... rounder and smoother than Xiuhecuhtli, but almost too much for me sometimes. Xiuhecuhtli seems closer to Giant Vulva when wet, but on the dry down I had a hard time telling it apart from The First, except it seemed simpler and cleaner, almost sharper (but not stronger, just more direct if that makes sense).

I still like all three of course. :lol:

Bewitched seems to be very similar to April's Fool in the dry down.

Edited by Jupita

So of course I'm in love with Mysterious Warning, which is no longer available. It is My Perfect Lavender!

But alas, it is hard to come by.

So, I just tried an imp of Lurid, and it seems pretty close! I've only had it a couple days though.

So what do you guys think? Is Lurid a comparable substitute for MW, or is this my wishes influencing my nose?

Edited by Lorna Brigid

I agree with plainjean and The Amber Dawn: the two scents are very similar. Plainjean did a good job of describing the honey that both have- it's very green, but on my skin it stays very sweet as well. The only real difference to me is the addition of chamomile in Door, which gives it a sort of calming/comforting feel that DNHoney doesn't have. I really think that the type of honey in both is the same.

Snake Oil has red musk, vanilla and spices but is not as boozy-grapey as Smut

Mme Moriarty is has red musk and pomegranate and is within the same red-musk of loveliness family. I know there are more but I can't remember right now.

Urd has some of the sweet grapiness of Smut. It would do well layered with Scheherezade, which is a red musk/saffron blend.

I haven't tried the perfume oil, but I just got my Anathesteria bath oil and it is the same wine as my beloved Zadok Allen Vinyard. No blood or incense, but the wine is the same.

ETA: Layer Anathesteria with Blood Kiss for a closer Zadok Allen match.

Edited by Altaira

And another comparison: to my nose, this year's Luper "Time Does Not Bring Relief" smells just like "Lights of Men's Lives" plus violet and lavender. Since I'm not big on florals, I prefer LoML (which I'm convinced has Egyptian musk in it, even if it isn't listed as a note).

Edited by Altaira

TRANSEO

GA cologne that (almost) blends well into human society: benzoin, orange blossom, cumin, King mandarin, gaiac wood, juniper berry, Calabrian bergamot, Ceylon cinnamon, and blood camouflaged by wine

I'm in love with Transio but I know its on its way out and i would like to branch out into the General catalogue collection to try and find something similar.

what i love about it is that it has a good throw and lasts a long time (and the smell obviously).

if you've tried this one what do you think it smells similar to?

or is there anything that sounds similar in description?

Also very open to "if you like this you'll, like this" recommendations.

Please help!!!!

I am HAPPY.

Midnight on the Midway is one of my favourite CD scents. It was recently discontinued and I was very sad. BUT!

In my last order I included Vasilissa in an imp pack. It's REALLY similar to Midnight on the Midway: a very sweet floral with I think a pink musk base. Vasilissa is sweeter and MotM has a little more jasmine but without comparing them side by side I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart. yay<3 I had to share my happiness!

I just skin tested Dragon's Musk from the Ars Draconis line, and I think it's a very close equivalent to The Infernal Lover once it's dry.

I agree, it's very close and I wouldn't have thought to try it -- thanks!

Can anyone suggest something that smells like "The Girl"? My husband has recently fallen in love with "The Girl" on me and would like to get me something similar for when I run out of "The Girl".

Clockwork Couture: Female has a similar feel - and it can still be ordered, I believe ;)

Can anyone recommend something similar to Pink Phoenix? I'm giving up hope on finding more of it, and it's my absolute favourite. The other scents I've tried that were compared to it were so far nothing alike. The greatest thing about Pink Phoenix for me is that it has tremendous staying power (my skin tends to eat 9/10 perfumes really really REALLY fast) and great throw, as well as smelling wonderful.

Is there anyone who can help on this one?

Although not a GC and not super easy to find either, Pink Moon reminds me *a lot* of Pink Phoenix in terms of the carnation - maybe if you have two scents to look for - you'll get luckier ;) (I can't remember if the 05 or 07 is closer to Pink Phoenix though)

Is there any GC like Creepy?

I would have voted Grog too - if you want to try a LE with a similar feel - you could try Punkie Night - it has that apple component you are looking for or Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple. Good Luck!

(Also, it's kind of odd - but Incubus has a caramel/buttery vibe but in a more "sophisticated" way - you may want to give it a try just for experimental purposes!)

Edited by GirlinDenial

Random comparison: Lady Lilith (Climbing rose, vanilla cream, vanilla flower, white tea, mandarin, red and white musks, opium poppy, Parma violet, and opoponax) and Time Does Not Bring Relief (Parma violet and leather accord with beeswax, Egyptian musk, orange blossom, white tea, lavender, myrrh, and copal) are insanely similar on my skin.

They both have Parma violet and white tea, so that could by why they're so similar. TDNBR is not quite as strongly floral as LL, though. I'd say it's creamier, which is weird, since LL is the one with the vanilla cream in it. Also, LL (obviously) lacks the awesome sweet leather drydown of TDNBR (though I seem to be one of the only people actually getting leather from it...I do amp leather, though, so take this as a definite YMMV comparison).

Anyway, just a quick thought, in case anyone was searching for an alternative to TDNBR. :)

Edited by plainjean