Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Thunk

This scent is inspired by the resonant THUNK sound that an unwieldy Ren Faire throwing knife makes when it splats into a wooden board: teakwood, tobacco, iron, and pine tar.

Fresh out of the mailbox, so may revisit later!

In the bottle: Slightly sour, dry wood with a metallic hint to it. 

Wet on my skin: This smells like it could be something from the Mommy Fortuna carnival section of The Last Unicorn scent line. Slightly metallic, smoky-sour, resinous teak wood.

Dry: Yeah, standing by that statement that it could be a Last Unicorn scent, specifically from that midnight carnival section (and actually has some notes in common with several of them). It's atmospheric and moody, not a "pretty princess" scent at all. The sourness fades as it dries, but it remains somewhat dry and acrid, but not unpleasantly so, and on the masculine side for sure. The tobacco + metal + wood actually combine to give this something of an old-fashioned smoky gunpowder feel...and this scent is something of a "feel" scent more than a smell scent, if that makes sense. As it wears, after 20-30 minutes, a piney sweetness from the pine resin starts to come out more, and I'm reeeeally liking this at that stage! This smells like a Renaissance Festival in the evening. I like. 

Edit: this has now been on for an hour and a half, and it's sweetened considerably with that pine resin + tobacco. Most of the smokiness and acridity burned off after the first hour, and now it's rich, piney-sweet resinous wood with an afterthought of smoky metal. 

Edited by DiesMali

Starting out, this was teak laced with iron and pine resin, and just a whiff of tobacco.

While drying, the metal grew to dominate the scent.

After drydown, this went full cologne, with the earlier notes of wood and metal but minor players within it.

In the bottle: Really sappy, resinous, fresh-cut pine, like when they used to sell more than one kind of pine tree for Xmas trees...strong, sappy pine. On, wet: Wet and dry pinewood notes start to open up, the sharp high note of fresh pine really spikes. Getting a faint oil/turpin note also. Drydown: This reminds me of "strike night" at my Summer Theater Group in high school, when we broke down the sets at the end--lots of dry pine notes, pine sawdust, and a little bit of some kind of metallic note. If you are a pine fan, don't wait for Yules, just buy All Of This.

This goes on exactly as the name and inspiration suggest, in an aggressive strike of pine pitch and metal.  Teak can smell like caramel on my skin, but I'm not getting that at all.  I wore this for a hard workout and it held up beautifully to sweat and movement.  Afterwards -- about 90 minutes after application -- it has softened considerably.  Now it's lovely soft pine, a bit of sweet tobacco, and a hint of metal.  I've been buying a lot of evergreen scents lately, but I may need more of this.  

When wet, this has a very sharp, antiseptic quality. Almost, but not quite, like Pine-Sol; the image I am getting is snapping a pine branch in half. After drying, it settles into a pleasant, resinous quality. The pine is barely there--it's more like cedar to my nose. I can smell the tobacco, but it reminds me more of patchouli. Very intriguing, this will get tested many times as I could see it becoming a favorite.

Edited by warriortwo

This reminds me of Organ Grinder probably because it's a dark scent with pine and tobacco notes together. However, Thunk is actually very different. Instead of the dirty patchouli, almond, and High John root there's just tobacco with a lot of purified pine resin and smooth, almost licorice smelling teak plus a dark cool metal.

Dark, smooth, slightly medicinal without being dirty. The pine resin is toned way down from its tear-bringing turpentinw-y natural form but it's still pine. Very outdoorsy.

In the bottle, there's a big hit of pine and metal; a sour mentholic sharpness. But then almost instantly everything snaps together into delightful harmony. It's now smooth resinous evergreen and warm, slightly metallic skin musk. I'm stunned at how serene this is given how every loud every single one of these listed notes tends to be on me. I think tobacco is the genius note that has tamed the wild beasts, and has itself been tamed from going too sweet or treacly. 

Seriously, this smells like a the skin of a lumberjack mechanic who just cleaned up after the day's work. The hints of metal, pine, and wood still cling to their skin but in a soft melange that really rewards getting close.

If you missed out on Gaia's Blessing give this one a whirl. Fully dry it's putting me in mind of that knockout blend. Fans of the forest take note. 

Edited by supreme_c0rt

Heavy iron and tobacco, the wood comes out when drying. Luckily, the iron mostly fades away with time and I'm left with a woody tobacco scent. I probably wouldn't wear this much on its own and use it instead for layering. I wish the tobacco was stronger than the wood notes.