Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Frankincense, Bourbon Tobacco & Tonka Bean

This is pretty simple. The frankincense is stronger at the beginning, but eventually floats behind the bourbon tobacco. I don't have a handle of tonka bean, so I can't pick it out specifically and speak to it. This ends up feeling mostly single-note tobacco to me. I'd say that if you're a tobacco fiend, this is nice, but not necessarily a must-have. I think there's other tobacco blends that are more nuanced than this. If you're a frank and tobacco fan specifically, go for it. I think I'd wear this when I'm wanting something with tobacco, but on the "prettier" side of things

Sampled my sister's decant; wow, I really like this. And I didn't expect to be wowed; I guess it just shows me that I like the smell of tobacco and frankincense more than I thought. It reminds me a little of Vision of the Courtesan with the tobacco/frank combo (though this is sharper and Vision creamier) and Anne Bonny, though they only share frankincense. I'm getting an almost earthy/cedary/tree bark smell from this for some reason, but I love it. I think the tonka adds a bit of depth and sweetness. Will probably have to get some of my own. 

Edited by feyofthefellwood

I do not normally like Frank but had to try a blend with Bourbon Tobacco. I am glad I did! This blend has the yummiest caramelized frankincense. It is a gourmand frank on my skin, rich and chewy. This reminds me of If thats the tonka thats contributing to the sweetness, i am down! As far as tobacco, this is reminding me of Bulgarian tobacco.  But whatever it is that smells caramelized to me reminds me of the Scottish Tablet in Picture Books in Winter. 

Really a lovely blend and I am glad I tried it! 

This is pretty much tobacco central on me, backed by some frankincense, with the tonka being MIA. The tobacco has the astringency of French Tobacco, but it's amped up thanks to the bourbon. I feel like a man lounging about at a gentleman's club would wear this.

This was too tobacco-heavy for me, with not enough sweetness, but it was nice to be able to try it.

This starts out as tobacco with a kind of high-pitched frankincense. There's a slight astringency to the blend at first, but it does eventually settle and get sweeter and slightly chewy with wear. The tonka's very subtle, but I think it's adding that faint sweetness. Still, this is tobacco-forward throughout. A warm, brown kind of scent; would be good for cooler weather. Not sure if I need a full bottle (I actually want to death match this with the bottle of French Tobacco I recently scored before I make that call), but will keep using my decant.

Bourbon tobacco -- what an excellent note!  I'd love to see more of it.  It blends beautifully with the frankincense; I don't notice the tonka so much, but it may be responsible for the sweetness that creeps into this scent as it dries down.  So I get a rich sacred/profane incense/tobacco with an undertone of booze wafting around me.  I get much better throw from this blend than I am used to with my skin chemistry, a big plus in my book.  I am definitely considering upgrading to a bottle. 

ETA And my husband really liked this, so a bottle has been ordered.

Edited by Lucchesa

Bourbon, tobacco, a whiff of frankincense. In fact, I get a very deep booziness and tobacco from this. And I sort of fucking love it? Yes, this is rich, sexy, and smells like the fall. 10/10. Need more.

I bought this, tried it and then put it aside to let it age a bit. It has mellowed into such a gloriously chewy tonka tobacco! I feel like I can almost smell the glowing aspect of frankincense hovering just above the tobacco and tonka and it is just divine. I will be wearing this a lot this winter. Yum.

Frankincense overload at first, kinda sharp and loud. Then the tobacco comes out and ooh nice - very golden and dry. Eventually the vanilla wakes up, and then this blend really sings. 

It has a dark vibe, and isn’t overly sweet.. this ends up drying down to mostly tobacco in a vanilla blanket, with that pesky frankincense subdued but occasionally still yelling in the background. It’s nice, but not particularly remarkable, and it didn’t have very good staying power on me.