Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Coffee Beans & Copal

Fizzy cola. I thought I knew what copal smelled like, and this wasn't it. I was expecting something rich, dark, and smooth. The bubbly soda was definitely strange and disappointing. Whole coffee beans, without all the aroma of ground beans released into the air, are lingering somewhere in the background of a big ol cuppa coke. Where are the dark thick resins? Alas!

So, I got stuck on the fact this didn’t smell like brewed coffee until I reread the scent description and realized it’s *beans*. With this in mind, this is a non brewed coffee (light), with a skin musk type scent. You haven’t grinned the beans yet, it’s not something beckoning you into a coffee shop, it’s just nice pleasant beans. Maybe they are waiting to be rinsed and packaged for harvesting but they are not screaming Teachers Lounge or Hello Grinder. I hoped it would be more resinous but It’s pretty. I would think it’s a good scent for someone wishing to dabble in coffee perfumes but perhaps not wanting to smell like a barista. ONCE I got over reading the label wrong (cough cough) I enjoyed the scent for exactly what it was and felt it was a really nice addition to the yule coffee scents and appreciated the variants of coffee they offered, Very nice, very innocuous, pleasant, socially acceptable even to tea drinkers, coffee. :)

Dark-roast coffee beans and dark, smoky copal.

But I also get an itty bitty cola undercurrent, with a last gasp of fizz left in it. Then it goes flat, like the cola at the bottom of the liter bottle. Odd? Could there be a breath of labdanum lurking here?

Mostly, this is dark-roast beans and dark, smoky copal, and I like that part.

In The Bottle, I get a light wiff of the coffee beans. 

After application, the copal comes through. Unfortunately, it's not showing up on my skin as the smoky copal others are describing: I'm getting Lemon Pledge. :(  I've experienced fresh copal essential oil as being very lemony, so it's not a huge surprise, though definitely not the acid-acid experience I was hoping for. I have a bottle of well-aged copal EO, so I know the wonders that aging can do. There's also a promise of better days lying ahead because about an hour in, the scent shifted and became more vanilla-resin with a faint edge of coffee in the background. I'll hold on to it for a while longer and retest later. Hopefully, it'll age well and become more what I was hoping for...

Finally a kaffeeklatsch scent in which I can truly smell the coffee!  It's there in spades in the opening of Coffee Beans and Copal -- nice dark-roasted beans and dark resiny copal.  After about an hour, though, the coffee vanished.  Which means I now have a much firmer idea what copal smells like, which was kind of the idea behind buying this decant in the first place.  SN copal is nice, but I preferred the opening with the strong coffee.

Unfortunately I also get a strong lemon note from my little sample with a hint of whole coffee beans in the background. Just like VioletChaos mentioned above.

The lemon reminds me unfortunately of toilet cleaner citronella, so nothing I enjoy. Fail 😣

In the decant, I mostly get the copal -- woodsy, but with a bright lemon-y aspect to it. Once applied, the coffee beans come out (and it's definitely coffee beans, not brewed coffee), creating a weird (but not unpleasant) counterpoint to the copal. As it dries down, the lemony notes fade, and I get more of that woody, slightly smoky, but clean scent others are noticing. It plays better with the coffee beans, but is still just a little dissonant. This is a strange one, but I don't dislike it. 

This definitely skews into Citronella territory on me. I can smell the coffee beans when I open the bottle, but it doesn't translate onto my skin. After a few hours the citronella aspect fades and there's a nice sweet scent left behind, but still no coffee bean. 

I'm thrilled I added a bottle of this onto my Lupers order before it went away. Soooo perfect. Just the perfect amazing copal. Copal is like, young amber? Not fully fossilized? So it has that same warmth and sweetness, but it's spicy, a little cola-like, sparkly, fizzy, yet resinous...I adore it. And it mixes perfectly with the earthy coffee beans. Glorious combination!

This is one of the last few Yules that I have from last year that I haven't formally worn yet. Another case of ageing making a huge wonderful difference! When I first got it, I got a blast of coffee beans, something sharp, and then...not a lot. Now it's lovely. In the bottle: Fresh black coffee beans, like when you open a new bag of unground dark roast beans, braided with very sharp, resinous whiffs of copal that are almost like lemon furniture polish but not quite just. On, wet: The notes mingle more and mellow each other out; the coffee bean gets more assertive yet smoother and the copal calms down into a gorgeous fresh resinous smoke kind of thing. Drydown: After several hours of running back and forth between my apartment and different chores/shops, it dried down to this gorgeous, resinous powdery thing that is almost like a light bronze amber if that makes any sense; both the coffee and the copal had totally melded into something else. Nice!