Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary

Sometimes simple is wonderful!  We have two notes here and they are having fun battling each other out on my skin!

In the Bottle: Cherry with patchouli incense

On the Skin: At first a bright cherry bomb that is quickly smoked down with a beautiful, rich patchouli. Very dark and heady!

Dry Down: A little less cherry, but occasionally wins over this incredibly rich patchouli woods, but a very elegant one.  Not overkill, yet strong and long lasting.

The patchouli reminds me of a metaphysical store I used to go to back in the 80's, which is sadly now gone.  They must have burnt a lot of patchouli incense. But the cherry in this sweetens and warms it up nicely.  It gives me a balance I really appreciate and works well together. The patchouli definitely wins out and I wish the cherry lasted a little longer, but it still has a hint of fruit in it several hours later.  This is making me very sentimental and wanting to pull out all my oldest tarot decks and books from that shop! 

Cherry patchouli. On wet, I could smell of the black cherry, but as it dries, the patchouli comes out and its definitely a cherry patchouli blend. Medium throw and wear length.

This is a drier, woodier patchouli. The cherry doesn't hang around long, but that could be my chemistry that just sucks it up quick. I think patchouli incense is fairly accurate. It's nice, but not overpowering. I can see cherry fans being disappointed in this.

Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary features a pretty gnarly patchouli sweetened by lush cherry.  I am a fan of both these notes -- cherry is one of the few fruit notes I gravitate to, and it needs to have something non-sweet grounding it for me to appreciate it.  So this is kind of like cherry Depraved, which is a win in my book.  The patch lasts longer than the cherry on me, and it's definitely a cherry-tinged patch, not a patchouli-tinged cherry.  About average wear length, not much throw but that's normal for me.  I like.

Wet: I might be shocking someone by typing this... but it smells like cherries and patchouli. (Patchouli being the stronger of the two!) I'd agree with torikitty that it's a woodier patchouli here.

Dry: I was hoping for a 50/50 (or close to) tango between the patchouli and cherry... but now it's more like 95% patchouli and 5% cherry. :( 

If you're a fan of patchouli-dominant blends, this is worth trying out; I really wish the cherry note was stronger, though.

I'm going to agree with others above that the cherry note is a bit elusive. I definitely get it in the bottle, but once on, I have to really search for it. I love cherry, so that's a bit of a disappointment, but I'm hoping it will emerge more with age. I do, however, keep reaching for this so I'm definitely enjoying it. The dark patchouli note is really nice, and like a reviewer above, it's somewhat reminiscent of Depraved, which I also love. 

I'm a huge fan of patch so I love this straight, but layering Monster Bait: Bloody Mary with Bloody Mary Bloody Mary is EVERYTHING. That is all.

I don't tend to enjoy cherry fragrances (too sweet and syrupy, or reminds me of cough syrup), but I adore patchouli, and this is a perfect mix of both elements for me.  The patchouli smells really deep and dark, like black patchouli incense with that sticky, earthy tone and a slight smokiness that's sensual rather than sharp or gritty.  It's so sexy and so good and it warms the gothic parts of my heart.  If you love patchouli, you really should not pass this one by.  The cherry is noticeable on me throughout the day, but it's this tart, juicy, black cherry dribble around the edges of the patchouli.  It really reminds me of biting into a juicy, firm, dark cherry. 

Reminds me of black patchouli incense and the strappy black leather outfits that I used to wear back in the day.  The touch of dark cherry adds just enough sweetness to make me fall absolutely in love.

This one reminds me a lot of hippie incense/goth perfume which is true for a lot of early BPAL GC scents. Growing up near San Francisco in the 80's, the Haight Ashbury was ground zero for picking up goth gear. Right next to the stores where we bought our Doc Martens, black crinolines and spiderweb stockings were old-school hippie head shops which were full of the classic "hippie" perfume oils: frankincense, ylang ylang, patchouli, sandalwood, etc. As a result, all the goths I knew smelled like this.

Bloody Mary doesn't quite read as cherry OR classic patchouli to me, but rather like Dragon's Blood incense. It's too intense for everyday wear, but when I'm in the mood for it, it hits the spot.

This was a mis-purchase.

In the bottle: Cherry and Patchouli with the patchouli being the more dominant scent.

On my skin: nothing but patchouli it is intense. A bit spicy and woodsy. Unfortunately not one I like much. Patchouli is not one of my favorite scents. And it lingers.

It just too much for me so I try to wash it off:  but it clings like an unwanted lover. I'm just not that into you. Go away patchouli, go away.

This one goes to my sale/swap pile.

Edited by AngelinDecline

This is likely the strongest patchouli scent I've tried to date. I can barely smell the black cherry. Like, it's there but it's so faint and powdery. 

You have to really love patchouli to like this. And while I am a fan of that note, I'm not enough of a fan to want it as basically a single note. I can  try layering this with something else and see if I like it then. Because on its own, it's just really really strong and almost a bit too much.