Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
doomsday_disco

Snakes Slithering Through Stinging Nettle

Snake Oil, nettle leaf, dandelion sap, mullein, and tea blossom.

I bought this spring snek because of the dandelion sap and I was curious about the nettle leaf note, even though I am not familiar with nettle aside from once having gotten some nettle gouda from a cheese shop. :P I am also not sure what mullein smells like, so this may not be the most useful review.

Snakes Slithering Through Stinging Nettle is an herbal, green, somewhat peppery snake. I am thinking the nettle leaf is what I am smelling the most. The Snake Oil spices are present in the background, but the herbal additions are what stand out the most to me. Once it is dry, I am getting something that's almost reminiscent of minty sarsaparilla. I mean, this is by no means root beer Snake Oil. If it were, I would be buying multiple bottles. But it does have something like that kind of vibe for some time before it goes back to being mostly green, peppery herbs on a bed of Snake Oil spices (which have grown stronger after several hours of wear).

I am not sure how I feel about this yet (I was hoping for lots of dandelion sap), but it is unique. I let this settle for a day before testing it, but I am going to set it aside, come back to it in a few weeks, and see what I think of it then. But if herbal Snake Oil sounds intriguing to you, definitely give this one a try. :)

Today my Spring Snakes arrived and I tested Snakes Slithering Through Stinging Nettle after some hours.

I was intrigued by the nettle, it's a plant I really like!

It's an unusual scent but not bad at all. I love nettles, either as tea, in my green shakes or to eat in salads or topped on bread, well at least their yummy seeds.

Snakes Slithering Through Stinging Nettle really smells like nettle tea, dark green, herbal. There's an undertone of SO, but not strong at all. Curious how this will age! 💚

After an hour of wear more snake oil emerges! 😊

I do like snake oil and i do love nettles [although this is my first time with nettles as a bpal perfume note].

however, the way the two clash up against each other isn't very endearing to my nose.  the dark swampy green of the nettles is causing the sweetness of the snek oil to amp louder than in any other snake blend i've tried in a way that felt almost grating.  didn't get a hit of "dandelion sap" but that may also be contributing to the sweetness overkill.  I wore this for an hour and then let it wash away while doing housekeeping.  it was weirdly too much for me. sorry garden snek!!! 

Deep green swamp and glimpses of sap. I think of algae. 

Snek slithers under, but I barely catch it. The swamp encloses it.

Snakes Slithering doesn't smell swampy to me but more like a meadow in April.  It's very green in feel -- the GC I'm reminded of, though I haven't sniffed it in quite a while, is The Apothecary. I can barely make out the Snake Oil at first.  This is a fresh springtime snake, slithering through that almost violent green first growth of grass.  Because it's fresh and gently outdoorsy, it's work appropriate. If sweet greenness that eventually mellows into pale green, very soft SO appeals to you, this is your snake.  

Nettles, mullein, and snake oil. It's a warmer, greener Snake Oil on me. Slightly minty. Medium throw and wear length.

In the bottle: Herbal, peppery, minty Snake Oil. I didn't have this reaction upon reading the initial description, but upon first sniff, this has become one of those Snake Oil blends where I Must. Know. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's herbal astringent plus Snake Oil, and the same on the initial drydown. It's much more on the minty end of things, which is a little bit of a shame as that initial peppery note intrigued me. 

And that minty vibe... just doesn't settle down on me.

Still, I think I'm going to hang onto it a bit and test it again. 

Wet on, this is a very interesting and unexpected first impression: Snake Oil, dry birthday cake, fennel and a soft green resin.

I can sense the vanilla and the spices, but it all has a sort of "baked goods" vibe going on - and one that doesn't turn into celery or burned plastic on me as it usually does.

This definitely smells green and a bit medicinal. A bit like the "vanilla mint" vibe you get from any of the Lick It scents with an extra resinous vibe that could come from the earthy patchouli and some of the nettle leaf and dandelion.

When it dries, it becomes more minty actually (although there is no mint in it). It reminds me a bit of Green Tree Viper, just not as peppery or strong on the vanilla, much softer and a tad more floral (although it doesn't smell like actual flowers, just because the scent has another quality to it).

It's pretty, much I'd rather turn to my original or GTV if I needed my fix of SO or wanted an extra jolt of green with it.

In the bottle, this is a peppery, verdant scent with an underlying note of dark vanilla. 

Wet, like others have said, this is very herbal and green- a bit astringent, a bit peppery, and the Snake Oil lends it this odd, almost sickly-sweet undertone. I love the herbal notes- it makes me think of an herbal salve with mullein, comfrey, etc. However, the Snake Oil is not meshing well with the rest of it.

As it's drying it's becoming more of what I had envisioned. The astringent herbs are settling down a bit, becoming much fresher and lighter (think meadow as opposed to swamp), while the SO notes are deepening and softening, entwining with the green. It's starting to become a lovely spring scent, though still not quite cohesive enough for me. It's definitely lightening up and getting a bit sweeter!

Fully dry, I love this! The dandelion sap comes out in full force, yellow and sweet and herbal. The nettle and mullein temper the sweetness and keep it from turning sickly-instead, it smells green, fresh, full, and a tad bit floral. In the background, the snake oil lends a dewy, sap-like note- if the main scent of the perfume is a lush meadow, the snake oil is the damp grass and wet earth underneath it. It's wearable, slightly minty, and very springtime. Medium-low throw and medium wear length. This is a winner in my books, and I'll be wearing it whenever I'm gardening this spring! 

These aren't notes I'm super familiar with, so always fun to try something new. :biggrin:  My first impression is weird green tea, with sort of a warm, resinous vanilla slithering through it.  Definitely the Snake Oil making it's presence known.  It's weirdly discordant, but interesting.  I don't get the bright, wet greenness I associate with dandelion sap, but there is greenness.  

It's becoming more resinous as it warms up, more of a sweeter Snake Oil with and herbal edge.  It's quieter than SO though, lighter, and more aimed at summer.  It seems like a sister to Green Tree Boa, but is different enough to make having both worth it.

Yup.  Once this has settled in, the weirdness becomes a good thing.  The sweetness also tones down.  This is an herbal with a bit of sexy slink, a cup of green tea swirled with a spoonful of warm resins.  Very nice.