Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

A Tattooed Woman Embraces the God of Thunder

Silken red musk, black leather accord, patchouli, Malaysian oudh, cardamom, and vetiver.

Clean black leather, musk, touches of oudh. This one has a very clean woody smell laced throughout, and on the drydown I get a shot of cardamom. It's a very refined black leather. Medium throw and wear length.

In the bottle: Smells like a new black leather jacket. 

Wet on my skin: The leather is definitely the prominent note while this is wet and drying down. It's a new, clean, black leather jacket that hasn't quite been broken in yet, with earthy but somehow still silky wisps of musky patchouli, vetiver, and oudh. The latter notes are fairly quiet here, adding some oomph and substance to the leather.

Dry: I really like this, and I think it's going to be one of my go-to leather blends when I'm in that sort of mood. The red musk starts to come out a little and is joined by the cardamom to add just a touch of sweet/spicy as this wears on my skin, but it's definitely a leather, patch, vetiver, and oudh party first and foremost. The leather remains new leather jacket throughout the life of the scent, and those earthy notes remain soft and silky, yet still somehow...sexy. Sensual. It's a sexy, sexual scent, and probably not one you're going to want to wear to a fancy dinner party unless you know you're going to be sitting next to someone you wouldn't mind dragging into a dark closet for a few minutes during a lull in the other activities. 

I agree with DiesMali that this is an intimate, sensual scent. It's beautifully blended, rich, and no one note predominates when I first smell it. Unfortunately, my skin chemistry changed a few years back, such that I could no longer wear red musk scents, and this one's no exception - it stayed assertive and sexy on my skin for about five minutes and then faded to a perfumey talcum powder. :(  If you can wear red musk better than I can, then get some of this! It's luscious, and I have the impression that it'll age wickedly well, too.

Ooh smooth understated black leather with a musk base. Like just enough naughtiness to steer the collective's subconscious thoughts in a boardroom meeting..for all you dirty birdies that get bored in meetings! Hahhaaa!

The darkest of darks. This is ultra-smooth woody vetiver, swirling hot in black curtains of thick leather and spiced darkness. And yet the throw is intimate, only powerful when your nose is up close - or if you slather. I get very little red musk, and nothing indolic at all from the oudh, just a rich dark wood. This is fierce, sexy, but not stompy. It's surprisingly subtle. This woman has inner strength for days. I am not sure if I am this woman, but I kind of want to be.

Did I mention? Dark.

This smells like the type of woman who could handle the god of thunder and only get a little singed, or maybe she'll singe him.  It is fruity red musk, dirty patchouli, over black leather and a hint of smokey vetiver.  I amp both leather and red musk, but the patch and vetiver keep them in line.  

Damn. This is a gorgeous leather blend. I would not have guessed this is the Lab's black leather -- sometimes that can get harsh. Not here. It's like the leather is somewhere between black and red, and while it's the star of the show it doesn't scream -- it plays so well with the other notes. There's a fruity edge to this, almost like a faint tart cranberry (I suppose that's the cardamom, but more of a fresh bud than a seed), embraced by waves of smoke and skin musk and that rich leather. Perfectly blended. The oudh does none of the typical barnyard antics here, it's just a smooth smoky backbone. Not a lot of throw but I'm ok with that.  

On the drydown the smoky leather reminds me a lot of Dragon's Hide but without the cherry edge of the dragon's blood. I would put this as a relative of Dragon's Hide and my beloved Loviatar. There is also a Crowley vibe here. They could be cousins. On the prowl. Very sexy cousins. Hm.

Confident, intelligent, edgy, smoky leather. All my favorite things. Very refined, beautiful, poweful. A must-have for leather fans (*raises hand*). 

Edited by supreme_c0rt

In the bottle this is a big ol’ whif of vetiver, very dark and very green. 

On my skin it’s still very vetiver-heavy, but as it dries down the black leather edge starts to come out as well. I agree with other folks about the new leather jacket smell, that's exactly it. As it dries down the spicy undertones of the musk, patchouli, oudh and cardamom start to round everything out, though none of them stand out in particular on me. Over time this spicy underside comes out more and more.

This is very dark scent. The Initial punch of vetiver and leather is so smooth and sharp it blows be away every time. It gives me the image of a smooth black metal blade. Do with that what you will. I was expecting something warmer and more towards the musk/cardamom end, which it does get to eventually, though I find I miss that sleek top note as it starts to fade away.  I don’t even care though because the final result is just superb and it makes me excited for the next time I get to put it on and get that vetiver blast.

Yeah this one kicks ass.  It’s unexpected and super sexy, with 0% sweetness, which is perfect. A new favorite. 

A Tattooed Woman... starts out strong on the soap. Guess you gotta get the grime of the night out of the skin somehow. 

Dry down is smooth, smoldering red musk & leather. A touch of wood. A dark and dry scent. Subtle, though. 

This is the scent of that mysterious loner biker on the road. You’re lucky to be saved by her. (Obviously, she’s a a heroine.) Heck, you’re lucky if you get punched by her. Only way she sticks around longer than it takes to pitch you at the nearest rest stop is if you buy her a shot of mezcal. Then, it’s back on the black river. The clouds are rolling in heavy, yet the heat thickens in the air. All that’s left of her presence is the sense of loneliness. She’s one with the wind and belongs to no man. 

Edited by artisjok

My first thought was this smells like Satyr, which I love.  Sexy, animalic, masculine-leaning red musk and patchouli.  Then the leather becomes more prominent and the patch becomes more woody.  I get almost a chypre effect in the background, probably from the oud and vetiver mingling.  I'm not getting any "manure" from the oud.  

This is dark, smooth, and very nice.  If Satyr and Criminal Glamour had a love child, it would be into BDSM and smell like this.  ;)  I like this very much, but I have other fragrances that are similar enough, I can resist it.  

Edited by VetchVesper

Allow me to digress for a moment;

I've been learning recently that I dislike leather. 

Which is such an odd thing for me to say, because - I was primarily a leather worker, for years.

I carried around large rolls of leather through many different studios and living situations - even sleeping with large half hides rolled up in my bed next to me when there was no where else to put it. Simply put: I *love* the smell of leather.

And yet.

Leather as a perfume note is often harsh and chemical smelling to me. As if they were only trying to recreate the scent of chemical dyes, sadly.

One more thing I love that I simply can't stand as a perfume, I guess. (that, and like, any food smell, really)

Alas. 

This perfume is **gorgeous** smelling.

The entire digression is because I was so keenly aware of the leather scent - I had ordered a leather-scent-heavy heaping of bottles recently, only to learn that most of them are quite harsh smelling to me. BUT NOT THIS ONE.

This one is the winner out of many leather-heavy scents.

It is the perfumed essence of wood & skin & blood & ink, & somehow reminiscent of sitting in a tattoo parlor, watching a lady who is having a massive backpiece worked on. Really striking, honestly.

It's comfortable, the type of thing I could wear on a cold morning as I make my tea, or on a warm evening as I sit reading a book, or just before I head out to a date.

Unisex, and sexy.

Can't believe I never reviewed this one. This one has turned heads when I've walked in the room. I've received many compliments on it too, especially when blended with Luperci. Strong, sexy leather like a crack of lightening, with silky musk, & smooth patchouli. I get cardamon at the end, with vetivert & oudh staying smooth & low bass in this beautiful song. One of a handful of Shungas that make me feel like straight up sex.