Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

First Morning in Paris

We were exhausted, hungry, and batty from travel, but Lilith made herself right at home. She’s a born traveler, and takes just about everything that happens on a trip in stride; she’s as comfortable in a hotel, hostel, or airport floor as she is at home. Just before dawn on our first morning in Paris, I tried to talk Lilith into putting on a coat and watching the sun rise with me, but she’s didn’t bite.

Burgundy oudh and crushed velvet musk with a misting of lavender.

OUDH OUDH OUDH. I got mainly oudh, and maybe a whiff of musk. But yes, OUDH OUDH OUDH. Great throw and wear length.

Did I mention MONSTER OUDH?

Yeah, this is all oudh, all the time. I *do* get a hint of the velvet musk, but as zankoku said, this is a major oudh fest to be sure. After dry down, there's a faint whisper of lavender, but this really is all about the oudh. The two other notes prevent this from becoming headshop city, but make no mistake, they are distant supporting players, like adding sugar to a thick tomato sauce. It's not suddenly candy- it's still very savory. Same thing here. It's alllllll about the oudh.

On me, the Burgundy oudh does the same thing that the oudh in Bestla did.  It blooms into bovine barnsmell. Only by washing my arm can I get a hint of the delightful balance of oudh, musk & lavender in this blend. I will have to try it in my locket, because my skin wrecks it. Fans of Bestla should love this.

Ordered : TPP Decant Circle

Sniff: ... Body odor? Like bad foot funk

Skin: Does not get better! This is shockingly disturbing to my nose. Oh no.

Dry: Ok, finally settles down a bit more. I'm not 100% confident in what oudh alone smells like, but I've had it in other blends and am gaining a feel for it. I THINK the combo of this scent is giving me the wet-old-shoe smell. Underneath that is a lovely lovely woody incense-y glorious perfume. But I can NOT get over the sour-strange top note. I'm confident it's a bitter lavender + some heady musk-type thing that's just reading so so wrong in my brain. This one threw my nose for a loop. WHEW that's a weird combo to me.

Verdict: 5$ walmart flats... six months later, worn every day.

Edited by Aveya

Lavender poop musk?

The Bestla poudh meets musk and a little airy lavender.

Or... I think it was airy. The oudh was so heavy, it went beyond distracting.

I like oudh, a lot. I've had some oudh heavy scents that I've loved before. This oudh, however, is 100% horse manure to my nose. Really funky, really unpleasant. Oh well.

yeah, this oudh is stanky on me as others have said. i know bpal's black oudh doesn't work for me but i thought the red oudh did, so i assumed that's what burgundy oudh meant...guess i was wrong. this smells like butt with a hint of musk. i don't really get it, i've smelled non-bpal oudhs that aren't really like this at all, more like a leather scent, so that's what i am usually expecting. i tend to forget the bpal oudh note can be bad with my skin chemistry and in this case it definitely is. i so wanted to love this! 

Edited by theseagrows

This decant has had 9 months to age and is still oudh oudh oudh on me.  Like theseagrows I cannot wear black oudh and was hoping burgundy oudh would be less nasty on me.  Beth, please give us crushed velvet musk in something oudhless because it sounds divine.  First Morning in Paris I had to scrub off. 

I like weird Oudh funk but it fades pretty fast with this one. And then its all velvet musk and it is sexxxxy. Im picky with lavender but theres only a tiny bit here.

Super oudh indeed, and also, yes, all the notes are there - but as someone who'se just come back from travelling a lot, how does this smell EXACTLY like hotel rooms?

i went on an oudh hunt a while back, because many oudhy fragrances that put other people off are just dead sexy to me.  it was perplexing!  then i acquired this one, and i get it now.  SHE STRONK. 

i utilize my roomie/bestie for poudh checks on occasion, in case i'm just nose-dead to the fonk.  (he finds this all terribly amusing.) not only did he order me out of his room after i waltzed in wearing this one, but i caught him burning scented candles later.  😂