Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The smoke of Sacred Incense of Apollo twined through laurel branches, bay, and honey wine.

Ah yes, now I remember why I was apprehensive to try this one. Because I amp wine like a mofo :D Blech. I don't really like to drink it and I really don't want to smell like it! After a few hours it's dried to something sweet and bearable, but I don't think I want to hold onto this one.

Edited to add tag - Whee :P Edited by rayvn1

I love the lab's Honey scents and Delphi is the bee's knees. This reminds me a lot of the original Honey Moon, is heavier than the newer Mead Moon, and less randy than Hony Mone. If I were intentionally collecting honey scents it would be an addition to the herd and might be a purchase when I run out of the current hive.

It`s sweet, but a complex sweetness formed by honey, wine, some herbs thrown for good measure and some incense maybe. Good as scent room but cloying on the skin. Honey and me are still trying to find an accord.

Wet, this is a pretty sharp green. The bay and laurel predominate. As it dries, the wine note comes out and gives a roundness to the blend, while the honey sweetens it. The incense kicks in last, leaving a dominant resinous tone. After awhile, all I can smell is incense, to the exclusion of all of the other notes.

First on:

Laurel and something almost prickly. o_O

Dry:

After about 20 mins, it's a sweet sort of wine scent, with the intense herbal of laurellingering in the background. I'm not getting much incense, though.

The wine feels very boozyafter a while, but the honey quality to it isn't directlyidentifiable as honey, just something sweet. I was hoping for more,y'know, honey. There is a touch of smoke to it, but not much. It'ssophisticated, ancient and mysterious – almost gothic in itsdarkness.

Finally:

Lovely, mysterious scent,but I shall pass it on. Wonderful to try though. :P

In the vial: Nose-biting, astringent woods over a deeper, darker background.

On me: The astringency calms but lingers, a sharp, dry note above the rest. Incense frames it, smoky and dark. The wine is a light touch of fruit, not golden honey, rounding and fleshing everything outbut on the whole, this is woody astringency over incense. It doesn't morph much, either. Scent-color is dark gray.

Verdict: For someone that likes astringency, this may be lovely. Balanced against smoky incense, it's unusual and intriguing. For me, however, it's a deal breakerI'm just not fond of it and certainly don't want to wear it in a perfume. I'll pass my imp along to someone else.

ahhhhh *holds nose* no wait *holds head*

In bottle: Really sweet, tangy, kinda sharp with some spicy undertones.... overwhelmed by the sweetness though.

On skin wet: Stings my nose. sticky sickly sweet incense pierced through and made sharp by laurel.

Dry: blech... it's SO powerful it's wafting up from my ANCLE and giving me a headache. :( My sinuses are all cranky and tight... kinda feels like panting deeply on an extremely windy day. Uhm, still sticky and sweet. Kind of musty and thick, feels like if it had a home that home would be called humidity.

Immediate reaction: A horse backed it's ass up to a vat of honeyed wine and took a gigantic dump. Hmmmm NOT what I was hoping for.

A few minutes later: There is still fecal mater in my sweet wine!! WTF?!?!?!?!

Going to scrub my wrist now!

In the vial: smoky wine and vegetation.

On skin: crushed leaves and twigs with an aromatic edge; if you say this is bay laurel I believe you, because I don't have any experience with bay beyond dropping a leaf in my soup pot once in a while. A subtle whiff of smoke. A slightly sour smell, which might be the honey wine.

Dry: sweetens up a bit, but still no incense to speak of; is that a boozy note? The honey wine is elusive but I'm sure it's there, a "sour" note in the same way mead is "sour" on the tongue.

Kind of strange and not for me.

In Bottle - Smells sort of rosy, more or less a 'classic' perfume sort of scent.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Noooo. Cheap wine, powdery sweetness that I can only assume is the honey and incense co-mingling in a most unholy fashion, and roses.

Dry, on Skin - Yeah, powdered wine. This is not for me; well, not for me to be surrounded by at least. If I hugged a person who smelled like this, I'd be pleased. If I walked into a room, smelled this, and then walked out, I'd be fine. To be wafting it up at myself all day, not so much. I always knew I didn't like the wine smell, and I'm beginning to think honey might not be as for me as I want it to be. So, Delphi, as much as I love your name, I'm afraid I can live without you. Happily.

This is a fruity, incensey blend to me. There is a sickly sweetness that I am not enjoying, and something that smells kind of dirty (?), not sure what this would be. I do smell some of what I'm thinking is the bay leaf, not liking this note either. Oh well.

In the imp, this is promising. I'm definitely getting the wine with a fair bit of fruity sweetness to boot. There's something that smells a bit green and herby and a touch of smoke, which I'm assuming is the incense.

Unfortunately, as soon as this touches my skin, it turns into some kind of weird fruity floral mess that ends up smelling like rosy old-lady perfume. It kind of reminds me of Persephone, actually, which is just bizarre...except with that weird sharp old-lady note.

It really was nice before I put it on though, so I blame my skin.

:evil:

This review may only be helpful to Australians but here we go - who knows Berri juice? It's this brand of fruit juice that is absolutely crammed with sugar and we all totally drank it as kids. Well, did anyone else have their mum put some of it in one of those little water bottles that fit in your plastic lunchbox? If you have, you know what I mean.

In summer, these little juice bottles would heat and expand and when you opened them up, they would hiss and the juice would be semi-fermented. Since little kids don't have much to do, we thought this was reasonably cool and would drink it (because it wasn't bad compared to the normal juice - they were both pretty horrible)

Well Delphi smells like fermented Berri juice. Specifically, apple and blackcurrant.

And that's just all I can say! No redeeming factors just... off juice.

Perhaps if you didn't have that scent memory, this could work. But for me, never ever ever.

Which is a bit sad but oh well.

Wet: Bad cologne.

First on: Like someone dunked me in some bad 80's cologne.

Dry: Same on drydown. Ick.

in the imp: honey, leaves, bay

wet: leaves and incense

dry: leaves and sweet baby powder

It is a light fresh scent with a touch of greenery and sweetness. This was a frimp. It smelled nice but I prefer sweet foody scents.

I received this as a decant circle frimp. While I love wine, I'm generally not a fan of any of the other notes.

When I opened the imp to apply this, the blast of HOOOOONEEEEY WIIINE just about bowled me over. On my skin, it doesn't change at all - no smoke, incense, branches, bay, or anything else. It's very sweet and smells, well, like honey wine. I don't know how else to describe it. It's almost got a wine cooler vibe to it, like it's a bit fizzy or something. I think I'm feeling tipsy O_o.

Very pretty! The wine is a sweet one, especially when mixed with the honey. I'm going to have to try this again, alone!

EDIT: On second test, this is all winey and sharp when wet, with a slight honey note that gives it an almost chocolate? scent. As it dries, it becomes grape and honey, sweet and pretty, then the laurel comes out, a little piney. It's kind of a smoky, sweet, grape. Interesting, but not for me.

Edited by delighted

Delphi, you have some explaining to do!! Where is the honey? Why are you all floral on me? Why did you make my husband wrinkle his nose and ask "What are you wearing today?" when we got in the car?

No incense, no honey...just strong florals and maybe a bit of greenery.

Sigh....

Delphi

Wine. And grapes. And more wine. And then some honey, and maybe a tiny bit of incense smoke. And then it goes oddly grape juicy... and I think I like it. I'm a sucker for grape/grape juice scents. :yum:

In the bottle: Laurel and bay with honey in the background. This is heady and a bit smokey.

On me: The honey steps up a little, and the scent is less green. The notes are more blended. It is becoming more like what I hoped for, but less incense than I expected. I had expected this to be the dark cave of the oracle, but it is the bright day on the field of Olympic competition.

1 hour+ later: Smokier, but still bright. Not much change from initial dry down. I think this will be a good scent to wear to work, as it is not as sultry as Athens.

In the Vial: Piney (do laurel branches smell piney?) and grapey. Wait, does "bay" smell piney?!

Wet: Still piney. Ick. Though that might be partially honey's fault-- I recall Hony Mone almost smelling piney on me. This is making me feel ill.

Drydown: Okay, this is so sharply piney. I remember trying an aged imp of Delphi and just getting a really really sour grapes smell from my wrist. But I guess this v fresh lab frimp is all about the piney notes. It's drowning out any other notes.

Verdict: No. No. No. The aged imp I tried a few months back went horrifically wine-sour on my skin. This fresh imp is all piney. Either way, I really have to start giving up on this blend. Too bad as Delphi was one of my favorite places in Greece. God, how I love Greece. Sigh.

This is terribly sour and sharp on me. Wine? All I get is vinegar. Vinegar single note D:

Whoops hit submit button.

To continue:

Made the mistake of putting this on the sleeve of my favourite hoodie and now I have to deal with it, bleh. I'm trying really hard to pick up the different notes, but seriously this is straight up fruity vinegar on me. It's less obnoxious dry, but still vinegary D: Noooo

Edited by Mousesong

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the bottle and wet on my skin I get the smell of lollipops. Not just hard candy - specifically lollipops - the purple ones.

Once dry, the candy smell fades down to honey wine. I like this a lot. When I sniff my wrist it smells powdery, but the throw is still sweet wine. I put this on around 8 this morning and it is still going at 4:30.