Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Blackcurrant Sufganiyot

Golden-brown and sugar-dusted, plump with sweet blackcurrant jelly.

Wet: Blackcurrant jelly! Very tart.

Dry: Getting a dough note now, but this is still mostly blackcurrant jelly! Definitely a deeper scent than Raspberry Suf(I haven't tried the strawberry version to compare them).

edit: after trying the Strawberry Suf scent as well, I still agree. Blackcurrant Suf is a deep, dark berry scented suf. It's not the same type of sweetness of Raspberry or Strawberry Suf.

Edited by donkehpoo

In the bottle

Fried dough. Powdered sugar. Sweet blackcurrant jam. Need I say more? This isn't attempting to be any more complex than what the label says it is - blackcurrant sufganiyot!

Wet on skin

This is *almost* buttery on my skin, but it's thanks to the fried dough, and it's gorgeous along with the sugar and blackcurrants.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

This gets sweeter and a wee bit softer as it spends more time on my skin. The fried dough doesn't fade, exactly, but it's as if you bite into the sufganiyot and now the jam is covering everything and making it smell like blackcurrants with some fried doughnuts and sugar, instead of the other way around.

Thoughts

Well, I bought a second bottle of this so that I wouldn't run out too quickly, if that tells you very much about my thoughts. This has amazing throw, a little bit goes a long way, and it's safe for me to wear at work! I SO wish I'd jumped on the BPAL sufganiyot train sooner. If there's a sufganiyot scent this coming Hanukkah, I will buy two of them.

Wet: Blackcurrant bubblegum o.o

On:...dough? Um. Weird. Hint of blackcurrant but it's just... Odd. 

Dry down: Burnt rice. Same kind of smell I get from Bread and Butterfly Ressurrected and sadly dislike. Mixed in with blackcurrant dough... And then some kind of plastic-jelly like note. Unfortunately just odd on me. :(

In my decant, I get a very fresh black currant note and a hint of fried dough. On my skin, the blackcurrant goes very perfume-y. It's not bad, but I was expecting it to be a bit more foody. It's a dark, almost floral blackcurrant, and it's sweet, though not cloying. As it dries, it starts to fade quite a bit, but I start to smell more of the powdered sugar and pastry. If you want a suf that toes the line between foody and sophisticated, this is the one for you.

baby's first sufganiyot.

yep, i can see what all the fuss is about.  this is the same savory-salty--dough and jammy-sweet fruit as snake oil jelly donut, so yay for point of reference.  the blackcurrant gives it an edge to me, though.  as it settles in, it loses a lot of that sticky sweet jelly-like tone, and takes on a musky dark-fruit perfuminess. it's still sweet, don't get me wrong.  and the savory dough note is still hanging out in the background.  but this is not nearly as foody as i thought it would be.  i was not expecting this to go so deep.  that's one sexy donut.

brb, layering this with snake oil.

I have never smelled real-life blackcurrant so I assume this is true to name! It’s wayyy too tart for my tastes though, and solidly at the last on the suf ranking.