Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nepthys

Gingerbread, Vanilla Sugar, and Pink Pepper

Ive run away from a little old woman,
A little old man,
A barn full of threshers,
And I can run away from you, I can!

I was tempted by several Gingerbreads, but this is the one I picked. And wow do I love it.

In the bottle I got a sharp, acrid whiff of pepper and winced. But as soon as I actually put this one, that vanished and I got a very warm blend of sugar-crusted gingerbread. I've had gingerbread scents before that went dull and too earthy, and I've had "vanilla sugar" scents that were sickly sweet. Neither of those are a problem here. This is such a cozy winter scent that is never overwhelming while having good staying power. Don't miss this one.

In The Bottle: Gingerbread and pink pepper fight for dominance. I'm not getting the pepper as acrid, but it *is* rather strong and bossy.

Wet On Skin: The gingerbread is winning, but the pink pepper is giving it some kick. I'm not getting any of the vanilla sugar at this point.

Dry Down: This has settled down into something sweetly spicy and delicious, and there's something here I can't quite put my finger on. For me it's evocative of childhood, but like children's perceptions of adults. Like an assumption that we will grow up to still be our child-selves, but have more control over our own destinies. (That was a little heavy. Sorry about that- this is legit what this scent reminded me of!)

In All: I got 3 Gingerbreads this year, and all of them, including this one, have been incredible. A bumper crop of gingerbready goodness!

When you open this one up, it's just like a Yankee candle — strong vanilla sugar and a bit spicy, but not quite what I'd think of when I think of pepper or gingerbread. It mellows a bit as it dries down, and it gets that dry, toasty gingerbread scent. Not overpowering at all, but also, not particularly unique, either.

Overall - warm, cozy, foodie. Great to wear if you wanna get eaten up. ;)

4/5 stars - wouldn't mind smelling it frequently, but doesn't catch my attention enough to call it a favorite.

ETA where I'd wear it: Baking soul cakes with your coven

Edited by gloame

Imagine warm, sweet, pink vanilla frosted gingerbread. It's SO good! I want to lick my wrist. Not spicy to me, and I'm very sensitive to spicy scents so if you hesitated because of that, now you have no excuses. Get a bottle!

This is SO GOOD! Wet, it's not sweet on me, but sharply spicy ginger and pepper. I really like this, because my main complaint about gingerbread is when it isn't spicy enough. On the drydown, the vanilla comes out and softens the overall blend; still spicy, but more mellow. Delicious!

This is so fun! Very sweet and foody though the pink pepper does help with the sweetness, but yeah, I mean I smell like a gingerbread cookie. Too sweet for me to wear, but put this in an oil warmer and bam, your house smells like Christmas!

Gingerbrea, touch of pink pepper, but in general this is a vanilla heavy gingerbread scent. Great throw and wear length.

YUM. Gingerbread, Vanilla Sugar, and Pink Pepper is delicious. Each note is present and they marry together so well. Even though there's a vanilla sugar note in this, it's not overly sweet at all. Love this and the other two Yule 2016 Cotillion scents I picked up.

Smells similar to the other Gingerbreads, which all have a strong cinnamon potpourri feel on my skin this year. This one also reminds me of blends like Maison En Pain d'Epices, where there's an overlay that smells like stale powdered sugar and sweet tarts candy over the cinnamon. Has a generic room fragrance vibe to me.

Bottle: True-to-life gingerbread goodness, with a barely-there note of pink pepper in the background. There's also a general sweetness - I can't pick out any distinct vanilla but that's probably where it's coming from.

Wet: WHOA pepper! I'm very pleasantly surprised, since pink pepper's one of my favorite notes and it usually takes a backseat on my skin. It's definitely more spicy than sweet at this point, and different enough from Gingerbread, Red Fruits, and Sweet Jam (which I got a bottle of, and am absolutely in love with). I can smell the vanilla now, but it's the type that's freshly scraped from a pod rather than "vanilla sugar", which is a good thing in my books!

Dry: This doesn't change too much from wet to dry. The pepper mellows out a bit, but that's really it.

Verdict: I don't know if I need a bottle, since Gingerbread, Red Fruits, and Sweet Jam really stole my heart. This is decidedly more spicy, though, so I might convince myself that it's different enough. I'll see if I fall in love with any of the other foodies from this release.

Disclaimer: I received a tester vial of this. It is always possible that there may be limitations in my review due to the amount of oil. 

In the decant: Gingerbread, light pepper, and sugared vanilla. 

On my skin:

Wet, the pink pepper is dominant, followed by the gingerbread. Given sufficient time to dry and develop, the pink pepper becomes even more dominant, spicy and ever so slightly floral, though the gingerbread remains detectable. The vanilla sugar is present in that it's keeping everything feeling... almost candy-like (but not in an overly artificial way). It's basically all my favorite parts of Cinnamon Red Hots candy -- real peppery bite with just a bit of sweetness. 

I don't know how much occasion I'd find to use this as an all-day perfume, but I'm definitely not washing this off tonight. 

Throw on me is medium. 

Dug this out and retested it! Gingerbread and pink pepper, mostly - it's not very sweet on me, but peppery/spicy - which I like! Fantastic throw; after about three hours, mostly faded, but present if I put my nose right up to my wrist and sniff.

Awesome Husband comment: "Smells like gingersnaps!"