Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I discovered over the weekend that, at least on me, Ether from the Phoenix Steamworks smells very similar to Dior Addict Shine.

Thank you *adds Ether to the list*

I'm looking for something similar to YSL's Baby Doll-- the original is just too chemically for me after using BPAL oils :[

The notes are:

Top: Grapefruit

Middle: Rose, Currant

Base: Sandalwood

Can anyone think of something?

Just thought I'd add here that if you're looking to match Cashmere Mist, I've found that to my nose, it's identical to Voyeurs Among The Cherry Blossoms. You wouldn't think so from the list of notes, but it's true.

This might not be helpful, but Candy Phoenix, in its initial phase, smells very much like YSL Babydoll to me, it's all currant and sugar for like a hour...then it goes into its Sticky Pillowcase-taffy-musk phase and stays there.

Also, if you're looking for something like Ralph Lauren Polo, could I second Apple's Incantation suggestion and add Cathode or Hurricane to that list? I thought there was a resemblance when I tried them, and Cathode's got the oakmoss and Hurricane has vetiver and ozone happening.

I'm looking for 2 scent twins.

1 ~ I've always :heart: freesia by Victoria Secret, the old garden one that they stopped making about 10 years ago. I still have the original perfume, and stock up on ebay for the lotion. They have a new one out by the Pink line, not to be confused with that one. The scent is primarily a powdery freesia, is their a BPAL like this?,

2 ~ WISH, a Christmas Candle from Aroma Naturals. It's so whimsical! Main components are peppermint & a sparkly vanilla. Any BPAL's close to those two notes?

LILY :heart:

This might not be helpful, but Candy Phoenix, in its initial phase, smells very much like YSL Babydoll to me, it's all currant and sugar for like a hour...then it goes into its Sticky Pillowcase-taffy-musk phase and stays there.

Thank you for the suggestion! I just picked up a bottle of Candy Phoenix, and I'd definitely agree: Though it's missing that tart grapefruit note, the currant-and-sugar combo is similar to Baby Doll. To be honest, I rather prefer Candy Phoenix more :D

I would LOVE to know if there's an oil that smells like Paris by Ives St. Laurent! I really miss that stuff! :cry2:

YSL Paris is the first thing I thought when I tried Wanda this past weekend. On me, it's a dead ringer!

OKAY, now really obsessed with FROSTED SNOWDROPS, the old one from BBW. I have the lotion, which I had no idea was so RARE. There is not much left. I saw a couple sites that make duplicate scent products. Has anyone found a really close one? Just panicked cause I thought this stuff still came out every Christmas. Yea, don't get to the mall much. I'm sort of ANTI BBW, but this one & the Serenity/Balance discontinued scents are the exceptions. Does anyone know the single notes involved in FROSTED SNOWDROPS? I've seen winter flowers and some type of sandlewood. Other than Snow White, any BPAL twins?

:princess: LILY

Edited by LiLyLuShFireSnaKE

I have a thing for Boss Selection by Hugo Boss. The official website describes it thusly:

Top Note: Burst of citrus freshness of mandarin and grapefruit invigorated with fresh green notes. Aquatic-Fresh-Spicy, fresh Green Accord, Mandarin, and Pink Peppercorn

Heart Note: The driving element of the fragrance a modern fougere of geranium, cedar leaf, patchouli and heliotrope. Aromatic-Floral Petigrain, Cedar Leaves, Geranium Leaves, Star Anise

Base Note: Magnetic & sexy notes of cedarwood, vetyver, and musks. Masculine-Woody Cedarwood, Patchouli, Vetyver, Heliotrope, Musky Accord

Any BPal suggestions?

Edited by NoNewWitticisms

I'm probably never even going to find someone who remembers this, but I want something that smells like Smell This "Fluffy Pillow". I only ever managed to get one roll on bottle before they got rid of it and replaced it with the inferior "Fresh Towels".

I can dream!

I have a thing for Boss Selection by Hugo Boss. The official website describes it thusly:

Top Note: Burst of citrus freshness of mandarin and grapefruit invigorated with fresh green notes. Aquatic-Fresh-Spicy, fresh Green Accord, Mandarin, and Pink Peppercorn

Heart Note: The driving element of the fragrance a modern fougere of geranium, cedar leaf, patchouli and heliotrope. Aromatic-Floral Petigrain, Cedar Leaves, Geranium Leaves, Star Anise

Base Note: Magnetic & sexy notes of cedarwood, vetyver, and musks. Masculine-Woody Cedarwood, Patchouli, Vetyver, Heliotrope, Musky Accord

Any BPal suggestions?

No... I'm bumping this tho because that is one of the few fragrance that has worked on the man so far (and believe me, he has gotten almost a years worth of me slathering him with anything smelly I can find) and I would love to find him a bpal that works with his finicky skin chemistry.

This has been asked above, but I wanted to second the request for a BPAL like Dolce & Gabbana original (red cap) perfume. The notes:

Top Notes

Petitgrain, Tangerine, Basil, Ivy, Aldehyde, Freesia .

Middle Notes

Rose, Orange Flower, Jasmine, Red Carnation, Muguet, Coriander, Marigold .

Base Notes

Sandalood, Tonka Bean, Musk.

The feel to me is a rich, floral, aldehydic oriental. It's bright, a bit loud if one uses too much, deep and very feminine, with a warm, musky, creamy drydown.

I'm hoping someone else who has worn this can share any BPALs that have the same feel to them.

Thanks in advance!

This has been asked above, but I wanted to second the request for a BPAL like Dolce & Gabbana original (red cap) perfume.

I'm a big fan of the original D&G perfume, it's been a favourite of mine since I was a teenager, wearing it takes me right back to University.

Given the disparity in listed notes, this may sound a bit odd but when I tried Dia it very much reminded me of D&G.

Dia - White amber, coconut, white musk, oakmoss, and tobacco flower.

After I read your post I decided to do a sniff test, so I've now got Dia on my left wrist and D&G on my right. Dia has a strong coconutty top note on me, whilst D&G is all carnation but once they start to dry down there's a similar slightly dry, warm, creamy floral underneath. Cousins not twins on me, but both lovely! Might be worth investigating?

Edited to add that after I've had them both on for a couple of hours they've become more similar - I can still tell the difference, there's still a bit of coconut going on with Dia but they're very alike on me. :love!:

Edited by Sarri

This has been asked above, but I wanted to second the request for a BPAL like Dolce & Gabbana original (red cap) perfume.

I'm a big fan of the original D&G perfume, it's been a favourite of mine since I was a teenager, wearing it takes me right back to University.

Given the disparity in listed notes, this may sound a bit odd but when I tried Dia it very much reminded me of D&G.

Dia - White amber, coconut, white musk, oakmoss, and tobacco flower.

After I read your post I decided to do a sniff test, so I've now got Dia on my left wrist and D&G on my right. Dia has a strong coconutty top note on me, whilst D&G is all carnation but once they start to dry down there's a similar slightly dry, warm, creamy floral underneath. Cousins not twins on me, but both lovely! Might be worth investigating?

Edited to add that after I've had them both on for a couple of hours they've become more similar - I can still tell the difference, there's still a bit of coconut going on with Dia but they're very alike on me. :love!:

I think that Zephyr smells like the drydown of the red cap D&G. When I tried it I immediately thought that it smelled almost exactly like my favorite "part" of D&G

Thank you, Sarri and Jess2316, for your suggestions! It's so interesting how scents react differently on different skin--or is it that our noses respond differently? In any case, I really like Dia, but I hand't thought of it as at all similar to D & G red cap. Very interesting! I'll have to give Zephyr a try--I tried it a long time ago and I can't remember what my impression was.

Thank you again! If anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear more thoughts on this topic. It's so fun to hear what other people have to say about scents I love. :D

As a newcomer to BPAL, I have made a decision to enable my dear fiancé. He loves Polo by Ralph Lauren, and I found the notes. Someone on this thread said Scarecrow is just like it, but he didn't seem to think the description I read him matched.

Here we go (there are LOTS of notes here...):

Topnotes: Pine, lavendar, juniper, artemisia, bergamot, cumin, basil.

Middle notes: Coriander, marjoram, jasmin, carnation, geranium, thyme, & rose

Base notes: Oakmoss, patchouli, leather, cedar, amber, musk, frankinsense

(I figure if he finds something he likes, he can order a 5 ml bottle and I can get the imps! MWA HAHAHAHA)

He liked that it smelled "outdoorsy." I have imps of Bewitched and The Jersey Devil, which he was kind of meh on.

I was going to comb through the BPAL website and get a list of oils with each ingredient and figure something out, but thought I could benefit greatly from your sage advice. :)

Thanks!

Try to track down a "aged" decant of Banana Peel in a Graveyard. I tried my aged decant the other day and it smelled just like Polo (on me). My husband also wears Polo so I compared it to his bottle and was really surprised.

Anyone know if there's a scent that smells like Bath and Body Works Breathe Romance? It's described as a sensual amber myrrh.

ETA official description: Scented with lovely, sweet papaya wood, seductive myrrh, and honeyed orange, this sensuous amber myrrh fragrance will inspire true romance and total wellbeing whenever you need it most.

It was my favorite for years and all I wore through high school and to my proms. I'd love to find a dupe for it.

Edited by gothicangel18

As a newcomer to BPAL, I have made a decision to enable my dear fiancé. He loves Polo by Ralph Lauren, and I found the notes. Someone on this thread said Scarecrow is just like it, but he didn't seem to think the description I read him matched.

Here we go (there are LOTS of notes here...):

Topnotes: Pine, lavendar, juniper, artemisia, bergamot, cumin, basil.

Middle notes: Coriander, marjoram, jasmin, carnation, geranium, thyme, & rose

Base notes: Oakmoss, patchouli, leather, cedar, amber, musk, frankinsense

(I figure if he finds something he likes, he can order a 5 ml bottle and I can get the imps! MWA HAHAHAHA)

He liked that it smelled "outdoorsy." I have imps of Bewitched and The Jersey Devil, which he was kind of meh on.

I was going to comb through the BPAL website and get a list of oils with each ingredient and figure something out, but thought I could benefit greatly from your sage advice. :)

Thanks!

Try to track down a "aged" decant of Banana Peel in a Graveyard. I tried my aged decant the other day and it smelled just like Polo (on me). My husband also wears Polo so I compared it to his bottle and was really surprised.

My exes father wears (lots of) Polo and it smells just like...

Saint-Germain

"A man who knows everything and who never dies."

Said to have lived for centuries, the Comte de Saint-Germain is truly a man of legend and mystery. He was an aristocrat, master alchemist, adventurer, magician, artist, and seer with a lust for exquisite jewels, and was reputed to have attained knowledge of the Elixer of Life. His knowledge was so vast and all-encompassing that his claim to have lived hundreds of years - he allegedly knew Jesus and was present at the Council of Nicea - was widely accepted as true. He is a Hermetic Magician's hero for the ages, and his scent is an elegant, timeless, truly refined cologne, bold yet classic: gilded amber, hypnotic lavender, brash carnation and deep mosses.

I found the drydown of Aerowen to be similar to Breathe Romance. The wet stage is nowhere near it, but, drydown is fairly close on me.

Anyone know if there's a scent that smells like Bath and Body Works Breathe Romance? It's described as a sensual amber myrrh.

ETA official description: Scented with lovely, sweet papaya wood, seductive myrrh, and honeyed orange, this sensuous amber myrrh fragrance will inspire true romance and total wellbeing whenever you need it most.

It was my favorite for years and all I wore through high school and to my proms. I'd love to find a dupe for it.

Fresh Sugar!

- Top: bergamot, lemon, Brazilian sweet orange

- Heart: petitgrain, heliotrope, white lily

- Base: caramel, vanilla, marjoram

It's a little crazy, cause I usually amp the heck out of white florals and caramel goes to a weird coffee on me. However, this one works out somehow. I love the vanilla/bergamot combination, and that's primarily what I get, along with a little hint of citrus.

My first thought was Antique Lace, but that blend likes my oil burner a whole lot more than it likes my skin.

Fresh Sugar!

- Top: bergamot, lemon, Brazilian sweet orange

- Heart: petitgrain, heliotrope, white lily

- Base: caramel, vanilla, marjoram

It's a little crazy, cause I usually amp the heck out of white florals and caramel goes to a weird coffee on me. However, this one works out somehow. I love the vanilla/bergamot combination, and that's primarily what I get, along with a little hint of citrus.

I love Sudha Segara and agree that it is both citrusy (the ginger is very lemony in it) and creamy. Have you tried Zephyr or Alice? I get a lot of vanilla out of both:

Zephyr
(Bewitching Brews) - Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

Alice
(Mad Tea Party) - Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

For a straight-up citrus + vanilla scent (it smells just like an orange creamsicle), try:

Kuang Shi
(Diabolus) - Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood.

I can't recall who was seeking a smell-alike for Lolita Lempicka, but I just noticed The Emathides smells a lot like it, except without the anise/licorice note.