Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Notes provided by Geeks Doing Good: Otherworldly and fae, but animalic. Feral, sensual musks strangely glittering.

Geeks Doing Good is on top of it! I got the shirt I ordered for my friend along with this oil last night.
Was only expecting it around November, but I'll take it!

Based on the video GDG released and initial impressions from con-goers, I'd expected something musky, spicy and woodsy.
The oil I got is not that at all. :P But it's extremely unique and I'll do my best to adequately explain it.
The description in the survey was: "Otherworldly and fae, but animalic: feral, sensual musks strangely glittering."

When I first put it on I was smitten. I'd expected Bast to smell "earthy" based on his personality, but this is all about his fae side.
It is indeed a melange of musks, but they aren't cologne-y or super heavy.
On first application the association I get is of a deep, vanilla mist. It smells both damp and airy, with a hint of the forest about it.
If you know BPAL's moss note, it has that exact dry "after smell" contrasting with the overall dewy feeling, which works wonderfully.

The "strangely glittering" bit is accurate. I haven't really smelled BPAL musks like this before.
No heavy red musk here, definitely white along with BPAL's "animal" musk, like the one in Ivanushka.

It feels like it's from the same family as The Girl.
It's heavier and a tad sweeter, but has the same vanillic, smooth, misty quality about it.
It has the same floral edge, too. There's some sort of white floral here, which comes to dominate early on, but thankfully recedes to round out the vanilla on the drydown.

I swear I can smell a hint of leather underneath everything once it's dry, and perhaps a "juicy" resin like oudh?
I don't like the super floral stage, but it's not very long-lived, and it's all magical and mysterious vanilla when settled.
If The Girl was a hit (and it certainly was), I'd say this is The Boy...

It's funny, based on the scent descriptions I actually emailed Worldbuilders after writing this thinking, "Hey, the things I wrote sound like Denna!"
I thought it might be a mislabel with the rainy feeling, floral and leather.
But thanks to a prompt response it seems Denna is almost all floral, where Bast has more going on like this.
It might not be what I expected, but I'm good with it. I really dig the hazy, wet vanilla.

I hope it might continue to be sold later on, perhaps through the Worldbuilders site!

Sweet. not sugar or baked goods in your face sweet but yes as mentioned above a 'juicy' sweet. and the hints and promises of leather notes below trying to come forward and greet your nose. it blooms soft and sweet. Quite lovely.

The first whiff of this I get from the bottle is that leathery, sweet-but-dry scent of old taxidermy in arid museum halls. It's a scent I like, but was totally not expecting... and I'm sad it doesn't last upon application.

I definitely get something sweet and a bit of masculine 'spicy' notes that aren't actual spices. It dries down to a light, musky vanilla.

Sniff: A hint of citrus and sparkle, smells like white musk, much lighter than expected!

Wet: The musk becomes warmer, although it still remains mellow and brisk. It's like a mix between white musk and skin musk, not aggressive at all. It's quite mellow and has a hint of shimmer, as well as a tad of orange sweetness.

Dry: This dries musky for sure, and the sweet orange note morphs into a slight spice. When dry, it's still mellow and a bit dusty, rather comforting. I thought it would be overpowering and strong, but instead it has depth and warmth. Very nice!

Edited by mistressfizz

sweet musk and candied fruit. It's okay but not something I would ever reach for.

Also, it fades to nothing in about 15 minutes.

Sweet, whispy white musk, candied fruit and just a hint of spice. Bast smells ethereal. On wet, he had a stronger cologne/fougere smell. I'd be interested in seeing what this smells like on mr. zee_zee. Medium throw and wear length.

I feel like maybe this goes much stranger on my skin than anyone else's who has reviewed thus far. The first blast is that sort of musky spicy scent, but the dry down on my is tea. I smell that distinct lemony note that I associate with scents where tea is a major component. Pretty, but not for me.

Wet: Effervescent lemony musk. Sweet, a bit powdery. Really pleasant, to me. Innocent and almost candied. It gets less lemony and more musky as it dries.

Dry: Musky, sweet, powdery, and a bit floral. Really nice. Somewhat ethereal. I think it'll be a great spring scent.

This really is a glittering kind of musk! For a moment I got something almost citrusy, but it's not quite it, I think. But something is making this glimmer for sure! I don't think this has red musk, because I usually amp that to high heavens, but it is likely some of the more earthy-toned musks. At least to my nose :)

It leans kind of unisex, but not directly masculine, on my skin. I like it a lot!

The throw is pretty good, and it lasts a long time on me as well.

I got mine through Geeks Doing Good!

In bottle sniff: Soapy... Uhoh I tend not to do well with soapy scents

On wet: Green floral, surprisingly minty and actually slightly tingly on my skin
Dry: Slightly musty floral. And something else which to me is like a zest but not lemon and now vanilla
1 hour later: No more floral, slightly musty vanilla.

2nd try: I didn't get the tingly this time, but still had that scent of 'freshly-picked, warmed-from-the-sun' yuzu/mandarin citrus.

On me it mellows out to be quite a fantastic scent, one that I think fits Bast perfectly and thankfully smells fantastic on me. Love it

Edited by follis

Musky, I think this one reminds me a bit of Oberon though I think that one was more woodsy; this is a more wavery (or rather every-sniff-you-take-is-of-a-different-throw-level) blend, slightly soapy and the glitter could be mint or champange?

A springtime scent. Sweet, warm, comfy but mysterious. Very interesting!

I tried this once, a few months ago, and was undecided. It's time to try it again!

In the bottle - wild and musky. Sharp green. Freshly applied - all that plus...mint? I don't know - it's kinda going to that weird sour note that musks do on me. Maybe I'll try it on Mr. Sionann.

Lovely golden musk. While it was wet there was almost a leather smell to it, the "animalic" aspect?

Once well dry it is golden musk with a touch of amber sweetening it and making it slightly powdery. There is a glow of citrus as well. 

Musky, warm, slightly sweet, feminine. There is a quiet glow of happiness about this scent.